"Royal Paintbox" (2013) - ITV Documentary on British Royals with Artistic Talents

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Dman

Imperial Majesty
City
Midwest
Country
United States
"Royal Paintbox" (2013) - ITV Documentary on British Royals with Artistic Talents

Royal Paintbox:
ITV is to broadcast a new documentary showing HRH The Prince of Wales exploring the Royal Family's artistic roots, which can be traced back to Queen Victoria and beyond.

Commissioned by ITV and made by director Margy Kinmonth for Foxtrot Films, 1x60 film Royal Paintbox features The Prince of Wales revealing an extraordinary treasure trove of rarely seen work by his forebears, many of whom were accomplished amateur artists.

In the documentary, to be shown on ITV next month, The Prince traces his family's love of painting through the generations, touching on artwork produced by, among others, his father, the Duke of Edinburgh, Queen Victoria, King George III and stretching back to Mary Queen of Scots.

Royal Paintbox goes behind the scenes to discover how growing up against a background of great art inspired The Prince of Wales to paint and how painting fits into the busy life of the heir to the throne.

It features conversations with The Prince of Wales at his residences, along with contributions from a range of figures including Countess Mountbatten of Burma, professional working artist Sarah Armstrong Jones, daughter of Princess Margaret, speaking in her first ever interview and Royal Academy of Arts chief executive Charles Saumarez-Smith.

Set against the spectacular landscapes of the royal estates and containing insights into how The Prince of Wales’s produces his own watercolours and other works by members of the Royal Family past and present, Royal Paintbox explores a colourful palette of intimate family memory and observation.

This film is commissioned by ITV’s Factual commissioning team.

Jo Clinton-Davis said: ““To have HRH The Prince of Wales as our guide through the history of royal family art offers a unique and personal perspective on both his passion for painting and the lives of his ancestors."

Margy Kinmonth said: "When I first came across Queen Victoria's painting kit, as a filmmaker and watercolour painter myself, I was amazed to find out that 150 years ago she was an artist. Her great-great-great grandson, HRH The Prince of Wales also enjoys painting as a pastime, and for the first time on film he agreed to tell me the extraordinary story of the tradition of creating art in his family through the ages. In my search, I discovered dozens of talented artists, revealing an amazing treasure trove of creativity by Royal hands."

Note to editors:

In addition to the ITV programme Royal Paintbox, a Royal Collection Trust exhibition entitled Royal Paintbox: Royal Artists Past and Present, at Windsor Castle this summer, charts the history of royal artists from the 17th century to the present day, through works by George III and Queen Victoria and their children, and by members of the current Royal Family. A selection of watercolours by His Royal Highness The Prince of Wales is also included. The Prince, who is Chairman of The Royal Collection Trust, has described how his love of painting was inspired by his early years at Windsor Castle surrounded by great art.

The Drawings Gallery, Windsor Castle - 22 June 2013 – 24 January 2014

www.royalcollection.org.uk

The exhibition Royal Paintbox: Royal Artists Past and Present is part of a visit to Windsor Castle.

The art of Royalty | presscentre

I did not know Lady Sarah Chatto was left handed. Don't they say that left handed people are most artistic than right handed? I wonder if William and Sophie are artistic! (Bertie/George VI was naturally left handed but was of the era where it was deamed "weak" and so was forced to use his right hand, much like my own father.)

I know Princess Louise (Queen Victoria's daughter) was very artistic but did not know of any others. This looks fascinating.

I am really looking forward to this documentary.

Some parts of it will probably be known to royal watchers (Prince Charles' paintings, Queen Victoria's sketches) but I am sure there are going to be a lot of pleasant surprises as well. I had no idea of Lady Sarah's artistic pursuits, for instance.

Charles is becoming quite the accomplished film-maker. He's been closely involved with several documentaries over recent years.

We've been rather spoiled with all these royal programmes in the UK.

I don't think William is artistic. I'm not sure about Sophie. I know William has said that Catherine is very arty, as he put it.

Royal Paintbox documentary will start soon.

Just got through watching the documentary. The royals and their artistic talents are amazing, I think. I know many people don't have paintings, pictures, drawings or anything that will tell them about their ancestors and here is the royal family that have a great deal stuff from their ancestors that are wonderfully preserved.

It was beautiful to see Queen Victoria's drawing and paintings. Also the ones by her daughter, Princess Louise. The Duke of Edinburgh and Prince Charles are pretty good artist and now Lady Sarah Chatto is carrying on the family's talent.

Last edited:
I enjoyed the documentary too, Dman. I'm so glad that the PoW has an (unpaid) official artist go along with him on his overseas tours, as he said, to continue to add to the Royal Collection. The Australian artist's painting was gorgeous.

Charles is so good at these documentaries. He really comes across so well in these less formal programmes, IMO.

Lady Sarah is obviously rather more on the modern side of the art world than her cousin is. I would love to hear more about her work, but her part of the programme was rather short.

Back
Top Bottom