The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Go Back   The Royal Forums > Royal Highlights > Royal Library > The Electronic Domain

Join The Royal Forums Today

Old 02-01-2013, 07:38 PM
Nobility

Quote:
Originally Posted by HRHHermione
Oh, and how stunning does Princess Anne look in this still image from the film- the one next to Prince Phillip? http://www.dailymail.co.uk/femail/ar...ew-Royals.html
Anne, no reading at the dinner table!

Old 04-04-2013, 01:56 PM
Administrator

Part 3 of the surprisingly good 4-part documentary series "The Windsors, A Royal Family" (1994) contains a segment on the 1969 "Royal Family" documentary film.

Apparently, after the success of Lord Mountbatten's TV series, Lord Brabourne (married to Mountbatten's eldest daughter and a film and television producer in his own right) proposed the idea of a film showing the "domestic" side of the Royal Family with an emphasis on "getting to know" the Queen.

Philip Ziegler provides some commentary: initially he believed it was a most successful propaganda film which brilliantly achieved its aim (it was broadcast in the same week as the Investiture of the Prince of Wales).
However, he, like many others, now believes it was a mistake.

Some snippets from the original fim are shown.

"Royal Family" (1969) begins around the 44.20 mark...

Old 04-04-2013, 02:16 PM
Super Moderator
Royal Blogger

Have they ever been released on dvd?
Old 04-04-2013, 02:30 PM
Majesty

I didn't think the film was a mistake at all. I just think the royal family and other royal historians got a bit scared of the film after viewing it. Now they do documentaries all the time.
Old 02-14-2014, 05:34 AM

Royal Family doc.

Does anyone have "The Royal Family" documentary from 1969? It has been televised once only.... and cannot be found anywhere... Im assuming there are some VHS tapes out there, which probably have been converted already... anyone know where I can find it online? Or is anyone willing to upload it?
Old 02-14-2014, 06:59 AM
Heir Apparent

Location: On the west side of North up from Back, United States
Quote:
Originally Posted by zactay View Post
Does anyone have "The Royal Family" documentary from 1969? It has been televised once only.... and cannot be found anywhere... Im assuming there are some VHS tapes out there, which probably have been converted already... anyone know where I can find it online? Or is anyone willing to upload it?
From what I understand, the program was aired once in 1969 and then stashed away somewhere in a vault never to be seen again by request of the BRF. As it was 1969, it was filmed long before VHS and VCRs were available to the general public. I looked it up and it was first available to the public in 1976.
Old 02-14-2014, 07:09 AM
Super Moderator
Royal Blogger

Here's a clip

Old 03-14-2014, 06:53 AM
Royal Highness

It intrigues me that the Royal Family can maintain an apparent ban on this documentary in view of other interviews which surface from time to time that are extremely sensitive (I'm thinking particularly of those from the troubled years of Diana & Charles ). I have only slim memories of the programme, and as I have mentioned here before, have a very interesting booklet published to coincide with its airing. I don't recall the footage as being negative for the Royal Family, and indeed, it is increasingly becoming a significant piece of social history. The booklet I have seems to emphasise the Royals as hardworking and quite down to earth family( given their status). I think we will get to see it once the Queen & The Duke have passed on.
Old 03-14-2014, 05:18 PM
Administrator

It's not so much a "ban" but more an issue of the Crown retaining copyright and not authorising further distribution. There may be copies of the original somewhere in the world but I'd imagine the quality of the broadcast tapes after 44 years to be somewhat diminished.

The documentary itself is fascinating, the problem the Royal Family and its advisers had, and continue to have, is that it is seen to be the genesis of intrusive media interest into their private lives and therefore is held responsible for the excesses that followed.
Old 03-14-2014, 06:02 PM
Royal Highness

So it seems that it represents to the Queen one of the rare occasions when she allowed herself to be persuaded against her better judgement. And to think there is reputed to be over 40 hours of footage locked away somewhere.