"Richard II" (2012) - BBC/NBC Universal/WNET Television Film

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Breffney

Courtier
City
Leitrim
Country
Ireland
A TV movie about King Richard II is in post production and is scheduled to be shown on the BBC (I think) sometime this year.

I am really looking forward to it. I am not very familiar with Richard's story but have, of course, heard of him, Gaunt of Gaunt, Henry Bolingbroke and so on.

The cast list is pretty impressive too.

Richard II (TV 2012) - IMDb

Thanks for the heads-up; I just love anything to do with the Plantagenets.

From the Neal Street Productions Press Release...

NEAL STREET PRODUCTIONS ANNOUNCE DETAILS OF BBC SHAKESPEARE PROJECT

A major new cycle of Shakespeare’s four most acclaimed historical works will be brought to BBC Two in 2012 as part of a season based on the Bard’s life and works.

Involving some of the most pre-eminent Shakespearian actors and directors of our time, the films will consist of bold adaptations of Richard II, Henry IV Parts I and II and Henry V, set in the Medieval period and filmed on locations around the UK and Europe.

Co-produced by Neal Street Productions with NBC Universal and WNET, and commissioned by Ben Stephenson, Controller, BBC Drama, and Janice Hadlow, Controller, BBC 2, these four films will be linked to the Cultural Olympiad of 2012.

Filming on Richard II, the first of the four films, will commence next month in Wales. Locations include St David’s Cathedral and Pembroke Castle, both being used for the first time as filming locations for a production of this scale. Production designer will be Andrew McAlpine (An Education, The Piano), with Danny Cohen (The King's Speech) as Director of Photography and Odile Dicks Mireaux (The Constant Gardner) as Costume Designer.

Ben Whishaw (The Hour, Criminal Justice) will play King Richard II with Rory Kinnear (The NT’s Hamlet, Women In Love) as his challenger, Bolingbroke. John of Gaunt will be played by Patrick Stewart (Star Trek, The RSC’s Merchant of Venice), with David Suchet (Poirot) as The Duke of York and David Morrissey (South Riding, State of Play) as Northumberland. Tom Hughes (Silk) will play Aumerle and Mowbray will be played by James Purefoy (Rome). Clemence Poésy (Harry Potter) will play the role of Queen Isabella and Lindsay Duncan (Margaret, Alice in Wonderland) will play The Duchess of York. Other confirmed cast members include Lucian Msamati (The No.1 Ladies’ Detective Agency) and David Bradley (Harry Potter).

Pippa Harris (Starter For Ten, Stuart A Life Backwards), Sam Mendes (American Beauty, Revolutionary Road) and Gareth Neame (Downton Abbey) are Executive Producers with Rupert Ryle-Hodges (co-producer of Cranford) as Producer. Rupert Goold, RSC Associate Director, is to direct the film and has adapted the play for screen alongside Ben Power, Associate Director of the National Theatre. Maggie Lunn (The Nativity) is the Casting Director.

Pippa Harris, Executive Producer for Neal Street Productions, says, “With the backing of the BBC and NBC Universal, this is a fantastic opportunity to bring Shakespeare to a worldwide TV audience, in a vivid and enthralling way. It’s hugely exciting to be working with such an array of talent.”

Ben Stephenson, Controller, BBC Drama, says, “A fitting ensemble of some of this country’s finest acting talent have assembled for Richard II, the first of four film versions of Shakespeare's History plays on BBC Two in 2012. Shooting entirely on location, the director Rupert Goold brings a scale never before attempted on TV to the work by using St David’s Cathedral and Pembroke Castle in Wales to give audiences something entirely unique.”

The cast and locations sound absolutely phenomenal and now I really can't wait to see this.

The cast and locations sound absolutely phenomenal and now I really can't wait to see this.

Isn't it just brilliant. ? !!!

About four months ago David Morrissey (Northumberland) tweeted about having a great time "duelling in tights". :lol:

Warren - Thanks for all the extra information. !

Richard II is my favorite. I've seen it done many times and look forward to a new adaptation. I saw RII in Stratford when Timmy Dalton and I were quite young.

Isn't it just brilliant. ? !!!

About four months ago David Morrissey (Northumberland) tweeted about having a great time "duelling in tights". :lol:

Warren - Thanks for all the extra information. !

Men in tights, indeed!:lol:

Richard II

Mail Online
30 June 2012

The King & I: For his latest role - as tortured Richard II - Ben Whishaw drew on unlikely inspiration ... Michael Jackson and Colonel Gadaffi

With his darkly handsome looks belying a chilling ruthlessness, Ben Whishaw won plaudits for his role as an ambitious young TV reporter in the BBC’s six-part drama series The Hour. He all but stole the show from its headline star, Dominic West, and when the series returns later this year, Whishaw’s role will be expanded. Not for nothing is he being hailed as one of our most gifted actors.

Tonight on BBC2 he emerges as the tortured, self-absorbed Richard II – regarded as Shakespeare’s most challenging character – alongside established actors like David Suchet as the king’s uncle, the Duke of York, Patrick Stewart (John of Gaunt), David Morrissey (Earl of Northumberland) and Rory Kinnear (Henry Bolingbroke). Richard’s young Queen is played by Clémence Poésy, seen recently in BBC1’s Birdsong.

It is the first of four stunning new films of the Bard’s history plays – the others are Henry IV parts 1 and 2 and Henry V – made for the Shakespeare Unlocked season, as an important BBC contribution to the Cultural Olympiad.

The films, which chart the rise and fall of the three kings and how their destiny shaped our history, were chosen to highlight Britain’s rich heritage while appealing to Shakespeare’s global audience.

... Ben says his own interpretation of Richard II was inspired by Colonel Gaddafi and Michael Jackson. He explains, ‘At the time we were filming, the Arab Spring was happening. Like Richard II, Gaddafi reacted to his fate with wild swings between denial, rage and self-pity. And Richard revels in a sense of magic and mystery about himself, almost as if he’s from another planet – so I thought of Michael Jackson as a role model.’

I just finished watching this . It was awesome . One of my favourite castles was used as a location . Pembroke in south Wales. The castle were Henry the seventh was born . The scene were Richard is in the huge tower and they are throwing dust on him is amazing to look up at and the prison he is in at the end is a prehistoric cave that was found under this tower .

Ben Whishaw on his new role as Richard II - Telegraph
Whishaw’s vulnerability – and his toughness – can be seen to gripping effect in Rupert Goold’s new film of Richard II, part of the BBC’s contribution to this year’s Cultural Olympiad. It’s an extraordinary performance. One moment his Richard is doing his normal kingly things – smiting and banishing away. The next he’s no longer sure of who he is, or where he belongs. And in between he emits one of the creepiest high-pitched giggles I’ve ever heard.

I recorded it on my dvr,really looking forward to watching this later!

Back
Top Bottom