"Reinventing The Royals" (2015) - BBC Two Documentary on the Windsors

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
In a way I can see why Charles wouldn't want this shown. IMO he feels he and the public have moved on from the 'war of the wales'' and the campaign (and I don't think anyone can or will deny there was a campaign) to get Camilla more publicly accepted. Whilst its all in the past for us I think Charles would very much rather it wasn't shown to bring all that went on in people's minds again.

I have to say to me the whole thing has been blown up into a big issue, I'm sure there will be some in CH wishing they'd just let it be shown.

Maybe the BBC saw what happened with The Interview and thought we can do that too. Pulling it gives it more press and maybe more people watch it when it comes out a few days later.

As for William and Harry's involvement in the Camilla PR campaign, did they agree to it beforehand? I can see them getting mad if they didn't know that their meeting of her would be released with the info before. Sort like Harry's trip to drug rehab was used to show what a great father Charles was. The trip could have been done without people knowing about it.

Sent from my iPhone using The Royals Community

I'm not sure William & Harry liked the campaign but they knew it was for their father's happiness and they went along with it. I don't agree with, Richard Kay. I don't believe anything was done in disrespecting the late Princess in the months after her passing. She knew that Charles was happy with Camilla, although she may not have liked it, she too wanted to see Charles happy too. Also, Charles and Diana wasn't at odds with each other leading up to her passing.

I have to say whilst I have a great respect for Charles and Camilla and the work they do I think the PR operations of the late 90s-early 2000s (when in fact Bolland was around) were appalling and very much a case of sacrifice everyone to make Charles and Camilla look good. I think things have been much better since the mid 2000s.

I have to say whilst I have a great respect for Charles and Camilla and the work they do I think the PR operations of the late 90s-early 2000s (when in fact Bolland was around) were appalling and very much a case of sacrifice everyone to make Charles and Camilla look good. I think things have been much better since the mid 2000s.

The PR campaign wasn't pretty but the situation had to change.

Absolutely but to me you don't change it by throwing the rest of your family (inc your sons) under the bus.

I have to say to me the whole thing has been blown up into a big issue, I'm sure there will be some in CH wishing they'd just let it be shown.

They should not have tried to stop it.

What exactly is the point of this documentary? There is nothing new in it. I agree with Rudolph, by blocking the release of it, the story becomes bigger than it should be.

And unfortunately it reinforces the perception of Charles as someone who abuses his position as heir to the throne to secure some kind of personal advantage. Meddling with BBC independence fits the pattern seen before in his personal correspondence with government ministers and looks bad for Charles, again.

Shows that the Queen Mother was right to say never explain never complain, if only Charles took that on bored

Note the picture of Camilla with the wind blowing up, showing her Spanx. I think that the DM is getting ready to fire some salvos in the direction of Clarence House.

I think that was a leg brace.

:previous: That could be. Still, it's in poor taste to show a senior lady's thigh when her skirt blows up. A picture like this of Camilla normally wouldn't be printed. I think that the Daily Mail is stirring the pot.

:previous: That could be. Still, it's in poor taste to show a senior lady's thigh when her skirt blows up. A picture like this of Camilla normally wouldn't be printed. I think that the Daily Mail is stirring the pot.

The mail is loving this.

:previous: Agreed. I like the Mail for breaking/hard news, but their Royal coverage tends to be biased. I find it very classist and, needless to say, sensational.

It's not good to show anyone's thighs when the wind blows their skirts up, but it's happened to the Duchess of Cambridge several times and it's HRH that's blamed for it.

No doubt, the DM is trying to milk this doc drama for all it's worth. As everyone has been saying, it's only gonna make everyone want to see the doc even more.

This is quite interesting, cepe--and a great deal less sensational than the other reasons we've heard.

The quotes from Henney have been made public though. She said William felt betrayed by his father. Whether its true or not, she said it.

It was still a PR disaster to hold up the release because people are going to wonder what the BBC removed in order to please Charles.

Last edited:
it's Catch22. BRF need to enforce confidentiality agreements and I think the BBC has played it this way so that CH would lose regardless of how they responded.

The other thing is why would Buckingham Palace cooperate with the BBC on this documentary after Clarence House declined?

Obviously not everyone is singing from the same hymn sheet.

The other thing is why would Buckingham Palace cooperate with the BBC on this documentary after Clarence House declined?

Obviously not everyone is singing from the same hymn sheet.

or that statement isn't accurate. OR BP agreed elements affecting them but would expect CH to deal with issues such as confidentiality agreements of CH staff.

It's all spin - and it doesnt just come from the BRF. The publics view of the BBC is at an all time low.

Doesn't William at 32 have a say in the BBC story or did William have a say and it was William upset by the BBC story that requested it be pulled until it was viewed privately. The media tends to blame Charles for everything.

Or is this a case of a documentary about the Windsor rebranding starting from 1917 to now with a very small part about Charles and Camilla and the media only focusing on C&C, rather like the play about Diana. Hewitt was trashed and people requesting Harry sue. The play never mentioned Hewitt was Harry's father just Hewitt began his relationship in 1983. From what I read this was a very small part of the play. Is this a very small part of the documentary?

One line overblown and taken out of text to trash a person/s and to generate interest in a play and TV series.

If William was the one that wanted it pulled we would know. He's a husband and father and can and has speak for himself. Anyway I think this program is the least of the BRF worries at the moment .

The DM article states: The show is about the royal family's rocky relationship with the media.

But the article is all about Charles.

I agree Charles should be wary of someone who was head of Panorama and of anyone who is friends with anyone associated with the program.

The DM article states
Many in the palace are wary of BBC reporter Steve Hewlett - the man behind the documentary Reinventing the Royals.

The 'palace' would be Buckingham Palace and/or Kensington Palace and/or St. James' Palace and not just Charles.​

Last edited:
So Charles's two women employes have different views about his future .
Indeed a rehash

Back
Top Bottom