The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Go Back   The Royal Forums > Royal Highlights > Royal Library > The Electronic Domain

Join The Royal Forums Today

Old 02-28-2015, 05:24 PM
Imperial Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by AfricanAUSSIE View Post
It is because of Charles need to voice his opinion and William's reluctance to be king that makes me think they won't survive. Add to that their head banging with the media and it could all easily lead to their demise.
How is William reluctant to be King when he's second in line to the throne? He's two heartbeats away from being King. His next big role will be Prince of Wales.

GENTLEMAN'S ESSENTIALS
Old 02-28-2015, 11:22 PM
Courtier

Media on William - the reluctant king

Adam Helliker on Prince William, Jennifer Lawrence's feud and Dawn French | Adam Helliker | Columnists | Comment | Daily Express

Prince William is wobbling over a choice that'll define his life | Daily Mail Online

UK - Prince William Doesn't Want To Be King | AP Archive

Old 02-28-2015, 11:51 PM
Imperial Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dman View Post
How is William reluctant to be King when he's second in line to the throne? He's two heartbeats away from being King. His next big role will be Prince of Wales.
There have been reports for decades that William doesn't want to be King.

His next step will be Duke of Cornwall - not Prince of Wales. Duke of Cornwall is an automatic title the instant the Queen dies. Prince of Wales has to be created for him and will be up to Charles as to when, or even if, he creates that title for his son.

He has accepted the inevitable I suspect but wouldn't mind if there was a way out - hence his reluctance to embrace being royal and undertaking royal duties. He is never comfortable on them and often is seen to be out of his depth.

He does have three choices:

1. accept his fate

2. ask the governments of the day when he becomes King to pass the relevant legislation (he would need that legislation to be passed in all the other realms as since Edward VIII's time the connections between the realms and the UK has changed and they have to pass their own legislation as we have seen with the Succession to the Crown Act) to allow for his abdication - putting George instantly on the throne - regardless of his age.

3. convert to Roman Catholicism - instantly removes him from the throne and promote George to second in line - that could result in issues around the custody of the future King as well however.
Old 03-01-2015, 01:25 AM
Royal Highness

Quote:
Prince William: 'I wanted to be an astronaut rather than king' - Telegraph
Old 03-01-2015, 01:49 AM
Super Moderator
Picture of the Week Coordinator

If William is reluctant to be King, he wouldn't be the first. How many royals have been reluctant to take the throne? How many have gone on to do their duties despite wanting to live a different life? William's struggles with accepting his role are no different than the many that have come before him. And this is if he's even struggling. He could very well be fine with his future role.

William seems fine when he does royal duties. I don't get the feeling that he is out of his depth or uncomfortable.
Old 03-01-2015, 05:26 AM
Nobility

I would be very, very worried if William DID want to be King. Did Princess Elizabeth want to be Queen? I very much doubt it. Did Prince Albert want to be King? We know for a fact he didn't. We know George V didn't want to do much more than sit in Sandringham playing with his stamps let alone actually be monarch. And yet, all of them have made very capable monarchs who put the monarchy on a very stable footing. William will do the same, not because he wants to, but because he knows it's his duty to do so.

As regards this documentary, literally no-one I know knew it was happening, let alone actually watched it.
Old 03-01-2015, 05:33 AM
Super Moderator

The idea that William is reluctant to be king is much preferable to his desperation to become one. Many people in high office (particularly elected ones!) seem a little too ambitious for my liking and that mentality is the worse kind for a head of state (or indeed a future one!)
Old 03-01-2015, 05:34 AM
Royal Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by PetticoatLane View Post
I would be very, very worried if William DID want to be King. Did Princess Elizabeth want to be Queen? I very much doubt it. Did Prince Albert want to be King? We know for a fact he didn't. We know George V didn't want to do much more than sit in Sandringham playing with his stamps let alone actually be monarch. And yet, all of them have made very capable monarchs who put the monarchy on a very stable footing. William will do the same, not because he wants to, but because he knows it's his duty to do so.

As regards this documentary, literally no-one I know knew it was happening, let alone actually watched it.
I agree. No one in their right mind would WANT to be king... (I should elaborate. No one who knows what being a king actually contains would want to be king. Alot of people in their right minds might want to be king based on some notion of that pampered life.)
Old 03-01-2015, 06:00 AM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by hernameispekka View Post
I agree. No one in their right mind would WANT to be king... (I should elaborate. No one who knows what being a king actually contains would want to be king. Alot of people in their right minds might want to be king based on some notion of that pampered life.)
The "pampered life" element might be a novelty for anyone finding themselves king for a day or two, but it would soon loose its shine and become a relatively normal, mundane element to life.
Old 03-01-2015, 06:08 AM
Royal Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jacknch View Post
The "pampered life" element might be a novelty for anyone finding themselves king for a day or two, but it would soon loose its shine and become a relatively normal, mundane element to life.
I agree. One of the lower royal jobs have many more plus-sides than "the top job".
Old 03-01-2015, 09:26 AM
Heir Apparent

I still don't know how William is suppose to show his eagerness to be King especially since to be King his grandmother and father has to die.

I don't see any awkwardness on William's part on engagements. He looked perfectly happy interacting with the people in Japan. He is being trusted by the Queen and UK Govt to do a important Chinese tour.

If your life was predestined from the moment of your birth, you are going to cling to things that you achieved on your own merit not who you are. Flying helicopters is something William achieved thru his hard work and wants to use that skills to help people in need until the time comes when he needs to become a full time Royal.

If he wasn't going to fulfill his Royal duty, he would have given up his position along time ago not. Not have a grand wedding in Westminster Abbey and produce 2 children with succession rights.

Sent from my iPhone using The Royals Community
Old 03-01-2015, 09:40 AM
Heir Apparent

I'd just like to point out that I have known many children that wanted to be astronauts (and firemen and nurses and ninjas and...) but have never known a child that wanted to be a king.
I've known many that aspire to princess-hood, but in the US that means being a Disney Princess and has more to do with having great hair, perpetual youth, a killer wardrobe and fun adventures than it has to do with leadership of a country.
Old 03-01-2015, 02:36 PM
Royal Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by AdmirerUS View Post
I'd just like to point out that I have known many children that wanted to be astronauts (and firemen and nurses and ninjas and...) but have never known a child that wanted to be a king.
I've known many that aspire to princess-hood, but in the US that means being a Disney Princess and has more to do with having great hair, perpetual youth, a killer wardrobe and fun adventures than it has to do with leadership of a country.
Haha, so true. The closest that I've heard is "king of the world" which is more villainous :P
Old 03-01-2015, 02:55 PM
Imperial Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by AdmirerUS View Post
I guess I was a weird child, because when I was a little boy, I wanted to be a prince and future King. The Eddie Murphy film 'Coming to America' probably had something to do with it though, I just wanted to be someone very unique than everyone else.

William may be a born prince, but he dreamed just like all other kids.

GENTLEMAN'S ESSENTIALS
Old 03-02-2015, 05:12 AM
Courtier

Quote:
I guess I was a weird child, because when I was a little boy, I wanted to be a prince and future King. The Eddie Murphy film 'Coming to America' probably had something to do with it though, I just wanted to be someone very unique than everyone else.

William may be a born prince, but he dreamed just like all other kids.
LOL! You ARE unique.

All hail King Dman!!
Old 03-02-2015, 05:41 AM
Imperial Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by AfricanAUSSIE View Post
LOL! You ARE unique.

All hail King Dman!!
It was just one of my many dreams

GENTLEMAN'S ESSENTIALS
Old 05-22-2015, 06:00 PM
Heir Presumptive

I watched 2 documentaries, I don't know if there are more episodes. What I took away is that Bolland was rather good at his job and it is because of him that Camilla is now married to Charles. He deserves a round of applause for his good work and how it helped CnC as individuals and a couple. One factor I am still confused about is Prince Edwards tv company staying at St Andrews, the story presented in the documentary about wanting shots of the grounds seems weak imo. Edward has made some blunders in his media career and I'm not buying that this particular one was oversold by Charles PR team. I don't pay enough attention to the royals but did Charles team really sell out other members of the family to make him look better? I can't recall many negative stories about anyone with the exception of the TV crew at St. Andrews and Sophie's fake sheikh.
The most interesting thing about the second part of the documentary was how the hacking scandal came about. Great work on William and everyone's part for taking down The News of the World.
I did want to hear more about the sun bathing photos of Kate and how the British Media responded and felt about it. Did they have to be asked not to publish or did everyone just immediately realize that this time photographers went to far?
A third thing that had me worried is Williams constant hiding. I hate how the royals are hounded and feel they deserve privacy, but it's strange that William jumps from one hiding place to another. From Eton to Chile to St. Andrews to the military to Anglessey. On the other hand he does work with the media, he didnt have to talk to them after George was born and he did so twice. And after Charlotte was born they actually showed her face when Most of the time the baby is wrapped up tight.

Jaqueline Bouvier Kennedy, September 12, 1953
Countess Stephanie of Belgium October 20, 2012