"Reinventing The Royals" (2015) - BBC Two Documentary on the Windsors

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
It seems the BBC requested information from the staff during the holiday and expected CH staff to honor their request on such a short notice.

This seem to me the real reason the show was pulled. It was a last minute request by the BBC. CH wanted to review the request and the holidays got in the way. Why did the BBC wait so long to request the information?

Seems to me more about the name that's what has spooked Charles

Sent from my iPhone using The Royals Community

BBC royal documentary derailed by Clarence House to be shown uncut in February - Telegraph
A BBC documentary on the Royal family that was shelved following an intervention from Clarence House is now likely to be shown uncut in February, it has emerged.

Reinventing the Royals was originally due to be broadcast on January 4, but was pulled after aides of the Prince of Wales expressed concerns about the programme’s content.

The documentary will not be toned down, BBC sources have insisted, and will still include criticism of the Prince of Wales, notably from his former press secretary Sandy Henney, who has given her first broadcast interview.

“The Royal family have been treated with the utmost respect and no, it hasn’t changed,” said a BBC source. “That’s not to say they will like it though.”

Great news that we get to see the program and see what the palace had a problem with.

In the U.S. all British imports are edited when they air on PBS to allow 10 minutes of PBS promotion (advertising).:bang:

Bill Clinton's documentary has been shelved indefinitely. Clinton wanted control. It was shelved without the accusations against Clinton that the POW endured.

In 2013, Hillary Clinton's documentary was also shelved.

I don't see what one has to do with the other. And I don't think poor Charles had to endure much . Andrew took over the news

Peter Hunt @BBCPeterHunt · 2h 2 hours ago
BBC documentary on the royals and the media by @steve_hewlett -- delayed before Christmas -- will be broadcast 19th February.

British Royals @britishroyals · 2h 2 hours ago
Reinventing the Royals, the postponed BBC documentary on Prince Charles's former spin doctor, will finally air on Feb 19th, 9pm on BBC2

Last edited:
Provided none of the material has been edited out, this documentary is more damaging from a PR perspective than Mayer's book.

Not sure if I'll watch it or not. Probably will though

Provided none of the material has been edited out, this documentary is more damaging from a PR perspective than Mayer's book.

I'm going to watch it, but I'm not sure it will reveal anything that's not already known.

What is known with royal watchers is different from the general public. The BBC reaches a wide audience

I'll watch it with an open mind. But in any event, I would rather watch a documentary, with real people giving their views than a book of un-namd sources and quotes!

According to the BBC nothing has been edited.

I'll watch it with an open mind. But in any event, I would rather watch a documentary, with real people giving their views than a book of un-namd sources and quotes!
If we get to see it here I will already have read the post-morton on here so that could influence whether it is worth watching or not.

Last edited:
Do we know when Reinventing the Royals is being aired in America?

I didn't find this documentary interesting at all. For me it was a complete waste of time.

Reinventing the Royals, BBC Two, review: 'a tone of recrimination' - Telegraph

For my part, among all the talking-head journalists floating through the film, I cheered Sarah Sands when she chatted to the camera, because I know and like her, and booed when Piers Morgan came on, because I’ve never met him and don’t much want to. What Mr Hewlett, the professor of journalism, did not look at was the overwhelming popularity of the Queen, shown at her Golden Jubilee and Diamond Jubilee; the sober sorrow at the death of the Queen Mother; and a wave of rejoicing at the marriage of the Duke and Duchess of Cambridge. The deep good sense of the British people trumped every shallow attempt at PR, from the moment that cello string went ping.

TV Review: Reinventing the Royals; Saints and Sinners | The Times

The first part of Steve Hewlett’s worth-waiting-for documentary Reinventing the Royals (problems with the palace over footage rights had delayed transmission) told the story of “Operation Mrs PB”, Prince Charles’s campaign to rehabilitate his mistress in the public mind. Its first victory was a remarkably vivid account in The Sun of Prince William’s “private” meeting with Camilla Parker Bowles ten months after his mother’s death: her nerves, her gin and tonic, her sneaky fag beforehand and crucially that they had got on famously. Charlie Rae, whose byline graced the piece, boasted that his source could only have been better had it been William or Camilla themselves. It was, he said when pressed by Hewlett, Charles’s spin doctor, Mark Bolland. Bolland refused to be interviewed but in a statement called this “rubbish”.

Last edited:
You can watch it on YouTube
I understand why Charles wanted it banned. IMO

I was shocked to learn that paperazzi shouted "Sl*t", "wh*re", "c*nt" etc. to Miss Middleton to provoke her to cry or to get upset: everything for a good picture...

The Princes Charles, William and Harry are right: the media are rats.

:(

I was shocked to learn that paperazzi shouted "Sl*t", "wh*re", "c*nt" etc. to Miss Middleton to provoke her to cry or to get upset: everything for a good picture...

I'm not surprised at all. Saw a bit of a documentary. The paparazzi said something like "Aw, she almost fell. That would have been a money shot". And the interviewer asked something like "Is that legal, can you sell those pictures". The answer was "As long as we don't cause it" :O

I want to see this documentary. Where can I find it (non-UK)?

Edit: Never ind, found a youtube clip. I didn't know it would be more parts-....

Last edited:
I'm not surprised at all. Saw a bit of a documentary. The paparazzi said something like "Aw, she almost fell. That would have been a money shot". And the interviewer asked something like "Is that legal, can you sell those pictures". The answer was "As long as we don't cause it" :O

I want to see this documentary. Where can I find it (non-UK)?

Edit: Never ind, found a youtube clip. I didn't know it would be more parts-....

I think there are three parts - I've recorded it, but by the sounds of things I'm not sure I will enjoy it!

I think there are three parts - I've recorded it, but by the sounds of things I'm not sure I will enjoy it!
Ok. I've seen about 20 minutes now and so far it seems well balanced. Showing both sides. But I guess it can get worse :p

Yes, that was done to get her reaction. It was a terrible thing, but I remember Catherine very simply put on a nice smile through it all. No matter how she was treated by the media, she always managed to give a nice smile in the end. Although, many people on the royal forums turned that against her and tried to make it seem like Catherine just loved the attention that came with dating Prince William. Later her jobs were used against her too.

I'm enjoying the documentary already.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Cg87HGQeXRc&feature=youtu.be

Last edited by a moderator:
Ok, watched part one. The only person the light falls badly on is that "spin doctor". And maybe that Charles was a little gullible. But I guess if you look for crap on Charles you could spin this documentary into it.

I have to say I enjoyed the documentary and I think it was fair to both sides. The only part that made me feel anything negative towards Prince Charles was the treatment of Sandy Henney.

I have to say I enjoyed the documentary and I think it was fair to both sides. The only part that made me feel anything negative towards Prince Charles was the treatment of Sandy Henney.

And the fact he let his spin doctor set up his sons and brother for his benefit

And the fact he let his spin doctor set up his sons and brother for his benefit

I agree. But I think the spin doctor might have the tactic "better ask for forgiveness than permission". I think Charles is more gullible than evil. Also, the press actually get's the short straw so far as well.

At best Charles maybe turned a blind eye but the fact he is so hands on leads me to believe that Charles orchestrated the sell out of William and Harry to the tabloid press.

To think this was going on and Charles knew nothing about it doesn't pass the smell test for me.

Charles and Camilla were desperate to gain public acceptance but to do it at the expense of W&H is not right and won't gain either C or C any new fans.

Very unfortunate but does show how ruthless Charles can be to advance his own agenda

Last edited:
IMO Charles knew exactly what his spin doctor was doing. He's a very smart man and likes to have things his way. You can't blame Bolland for giving him what he wanted that's why he hired him.
I found it very upsetting looking at a young Harry and Will being set up

Back
Top Bottom