The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Go Back   The Royal Forums > Royal Highlights > Royal Library > The Electronic Domain

Join The Royal Forums Today

Old 12-16-2012, 12:47 AM
Majesty

"Queen Victoria's Children" (January 2013) - Three-part BBC 2 series

Queen Victoria's Children:
Spanning 60 years, this three-part family saga explores the reign of Victoria through her personal relationships with her husband and her nine children. It is a story of manipulation, conflict, intimidation, emotional blackmail and fevered attempts by her children to escape the clutches of their domineering and needy mother.
The series uses a wealth of written material and photos left by Victoria, Albert and her children, including letters, diaries, memoirs, and journals, to bring the subject and characters to life.
This first episode focuses on Victoria’s tempestuous relationship with Prince Albert and their attempts to engineer the upbringing of their children, and to save the monarchy by projecting a modern image of the royal family.

Tuesday 1 January
9.00-10.00pm
BBC TWO

BBC - Media Centre - Programme Information - Queen Victoria's Children

Old 12-16-2012, 01:25 AM
Courtier

That sounds very interesting.

Old 12-16-2012, 01:29 AM
Aristocracy

Any news on if this is going to be shown in the States?
Old 12-16-2012, 03:24 AM
Majesty

Sounds interesting but will it be just more of the same or will it show something new?
Old 12-16-2012, 03:25 AM
Nobility

Maybe it will show up on BBC America?
Old 12-16-2012, 05:24 AM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iluvbertie View Post
Sounds interesting but will it be just more of the same or will it show something new?
I doubt there will be, or can be, anything new as the source material, stated as "including letters, diaries, memoirs, and journals" has been thoroughly mined by biographers for over a century. Chances are that any material which did come to light and which hadn't been seen before will merely reinforce what is already known.

Nonetheless, VRI is eminently quotable; despite the prevailing view of the Victorian era as being somewhat reticent or "buttoned up", the Queen certainly didn't hold back in her private correspondence. The success or otherwise of the series will more than likely depend on how the material is presented, the areas on which the producers have chosen to focus, and whether there is a particular line they want to push.
Old 12-16-2012, 05:42 AM
Super Moderator
Royal Blogger

Something interesting to watch on New Years day then!
Old 01-01-2013, 03:06 AM
Majesty

Queen Victoria: The real story of her 'domestic bliss'
BBC News - Queen Victoria: The real story of her 'domestic bliss'

Reminder:
Queen Victoria's Children is broadcast on BBC Two on Tuesday 1, Wednesday 2, and Thursday 3 January at 21:00 GMT
Old 01-01-2013, 03:05 PM
Heir Presumptive

The 'angle' for this series seems to be to emphasise what an absolute monster of a mother Victoria was. I think most people know that she wasn't exactly Maria von Trapp, but the people behind this seem to think that we have this idea of Victoria and Albert as living in familial perfection and want to set us straight. Sigh.

Anyhow, it's unlikely to be much worse than anything else on tonight. Those overseas should be able to find a link or two in the usual places.
Old 01-01-2013, 03:12 PM
Majesty

Yeah, I'm going to watch it here:
tvpc.com - (TOP - BBC2)
Old 01-01-2013, 04:44 PM
Super Moderator
Royal Blogger

Watching it on BBC2 now its quite interesting!
Old 01-01-2013, 05:09 PM
Majesty

I agree, I really enjoyed the first part of the series.

I hope Victoria & Albert learned somewhere down the line that there's no such thing as the "perfect family" and there's no guarantee that your children will grow up and become the people you always hoped they will be. Royal or not.
Old 01-01-2013, 06:06 PM
Heir Presumptive

Yes, it seems that Victoria figured out far too late that the more parents try to control every aspect of their children's lives, the more likely they are to rebel against it.

I wonder how different Victoria might have been had she had easy access to reliable contraception in the way that women do now? She enjoyed the physical aspect of marriage so much, but that only led to her being almost continually pregnant, which she hated. The breastfeeding that she so detested would, ironically, have made her much less likely to get pregnant again so soon after each birth, but she wanted nothing to do with it.

I wonder if she'd been able to control when and how often she got pregnant, she might have been a much more contented person? I know she had a weird childhood, to put it mildly, but she seemed to resent the fact that having so many children in such a short time meant she couldn't do the things she wanted to do (mainly be with Albert as much as possible).
Old 01-01-2013, 07:29 PM
Super Moderator
Royal Blogger

Quote:
Originally Posted by EIIR View Post
Yes, it seems that Victoria figured out far too late that the more parents try to control every aspect of their children's lives, the more likely they are to rebel against it.
I agree with your observation,sadly for Victoria her beloved Albert was no longer around when it was too late!
Old 01-01-2013, 09:54 PM
Majesty

I guess at that time there was no Dr Phil or someone to tell Victoria & Albert that raising children is hard and forcing them to be something that they're not wasn't the best thing to do.

I know Victoria loved her husband and wanted to be around him all the time but those children also needed some tender love and care too.
Old 01-01-2013, 11:19 PM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dman View Post
I know Victoria loved her husband and wanted to be around him all the time but those children also needed some tender love and care too.
Perhaps, but we cannot expect them to have given something neither had experienced in their own childhoods. They probably thought they were doing the best possible thing for their children compared to the upbringing they had received.
Old 01-01-2013, 11:30 PM
Majesty

Yeah I see what you mean.
Old 01-02-2013, 05:26 AM
Imperial Majesty
Royal Blogger

Nothing new in this series, I'll probably watch the other two parts out of historical interest and to be fair what's left to examine about Victoria? She's been done to death.
Old 01-02-2013, 07:14 AM
Commoner

I didn't think it said anything new. I'll watch the other 2 parts, but I assume it's going to be same old, same old - not wanting Beatrice to marry and move away, not being keen on Affie marrying a Russian Grand Duchess, pressurising poor old Louis of Hesse have his second marriage annulled, etc!

I don't think they needed to be quite so negative: Victoria and Vicky wrote to each other several times a week for as long as Victoria lived, which hardly suggests a bad mother-daughter relationship. Also, trying to control your children was fairly normal for upper and middle class families at the time. Victoria's own mother was very controlling, and George III was another one who tried to control his children. It was hardly something Victoria and Albert were the only people in the world to do! & they did try to find their children partners whom they genuinely liked, whereas the BBC made out that Vicky was virtually forced to marry Fritz at 17.
Old 01-02-2013, 07:21 AM
Super Moderator
Royal Blogger

I agree with all who said the series sheds nothing new so far but I will watch the next 2 episodes tonight and tomorrow.