The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Go Back   The Royal Forums > Royal Highlights > Royal Library > The Electronic Domain

Join The Royal Forums Today

Old 01-02-2013, 04:50 PM
Majesty

The second part of the series will be starting soon:
tvpc.com - (TOP - BBC2)

Old 01-02-2013, 04:53 PM
Heir Presumptive

There seems to be a rash of royal documentaries lately, I suppose they're trying to cash in on the royal wedding/diamond jubilee success. The BBC have had multi-part docs on George V and Mary, now on Victoria. Ch4 also recently showed a doc on Prince Philip's mother which got a surprisingly big audience.

Old 01-02-2013, 04:54 PM
Aristocracy

When are these going to be released in the US? I would so like to see these programs!!
Old 01-02-2013, 05:19 PM
Super Moderator
Royal Blogger

I like the title for tonight's episode 'a Domestic Tyrant'
Old 01-02-2013, 05:31 PM
Imperial Majesty
Royal Blogger

Quote:
Originally Posted by linda85 View Post
When are these going to be released in the US? I would so like to see these programs!!
Probably depends on what audience they get in the UK.
Old 01-03-2013, 04:59 PM
Majesty

Last part about to start:
tvpc.com - (TOP - BBC2)

Then afterwards, the movie Mrs. Brown will air.
Old 01-03-2013, 05:09 PM
Administrator

I would love them for them to do a show on Victoria's granddaughters....Something along the lines of Born to Rule...a great book on Victoria Eugenia of Spain, Alexandra of Russia (which we already know alot about), Marie of Romania, Sophie of Greece and Maud of Norway with a bit on some other lesser known royals. I mean the granddaughters were just as if not more interesting than the actual kids. Now that would have been something!

Old 01-03-2013, 05:13 PM
Heir Apparent

I agree. Other than Maud of Norway the other ladies had rather difficult/interesting lives in the countries they married into.
Old 01-03-2013, 06:24 PM
Aristocracy

Quote:
Originally Posted by EIIR View Post
Yes, it seems that Victoria figured out far too late that the more parents try to control every aspect of their children's lives, the more likely they are to rebel against it.

I wonder how different Victoria might have been had she had easy access to reliable contraception in the way that women do now? She enjoyed the physical aspect of marriage so much, but that only led to her being almost continually pregnant, which she hated. The breastfeeding that she so detested would, ironically, have made her much less likely to get pregnant again so soon after each birth, but she wanted nothing to do with it.

I wonder if she'd been able to control when and how often she got pregnant, she might have been a much more contented person? I know she had a weird childhood, to put it mildly, but she seemed to resent the fact that having so many children in such a short time meant she couldn't do the things she wanted to do (mainly be with Albert as much as possible).
Hello, EIIR:
Your thoughts seem on point. I have Cecil Woodham-Smith's biography of Victoria - all 486 pages of it. One of the things that is rather sad is that Victoria dreaded pregnancy so much (and the thought of numerous children especially)...so really too bad that she had to have so many. I can't imagine having so little freedom in childhood as she had...having to share a room with her mother...even to sleeping in the same bed. I don't mean to be disrepectful...but, it seems to me that it would stunt the growth of one's personal development. Victoria seems to have been immature...throughout her life. Just my view...not necessarily correct.
Old 01-03-2013, 07:03 PM
Heir Presumptive
Royal Blogger

Quote:
Originally Posted by NGalitzine View Post
I agree. Other than Maud of Norway the other ladies had rather difficult/interesting lives in the countries they married into.
I agree; a documentary of Victoria's granddaughter would have been fantastic.
Just as an overview of who Victoria's granddaughters were:

- Princess Margaret of Connaught, Crown Princess of Sweden
It is said her pro-reform attitude (one she gently passed to her husband as well) might have well saved the Swedish Monarchy.

- Princess Patricia of Connaught, Lady Patricia Ramsay
The Princess Patricia's Canadian Light Infantry was the very last privately raised regiment in the British Empire. It was raised by Andrew Hamilton Gault at his own expense.

- Princess Alice of Albany, Countess of Athlone
Alice was the longest-lived British Princess by blood, as well as the last surviving grandchild of Queen Victoria. During her tenure as vicereine of Canada, many royal refugees from various European monarchies stayed at their residence, including Crown Prince Olav (Olav V) and Crown Princess Martha of Norway, King Peter of Yugoslavia, King George of Greece, Empress Zita with her daughters, Queen Wilhelmina and Princess Juliana (Queen Juliana) of the Netherlands (Alice would later become godmother of Juliana's daughter, Beatrix), Grand Duchess Charlotte and Prince Felix of Luxembourg.

- Victoria Eugenie of Battenberg, Queen of Spain
The deeply unhappy wife of King Alfonso who never forgave her for passing the haemophilia gene to two of their sons.

- Louise Princess Royal and Duchess of Fife
The eldest daughter of Edward VII, to me personally she is mostly interested in connection with her husband's title of the Duke of Fife (and how it was allowed to be inherited in female line).

- Princess Victoria of the United Kingdom
The younger daughter of Edward VII, she was also George V's favourite sibling.

- Maud of Wales, Queen of Norway
Nicknamed "Harry" because of her liveliness, she came to be known as a style icon later in her life.

- Victoria Mountbatten, Marchioness of Milford Haven (Princess Victoria of Hesse and by Rhine)
After the death of her mother, she became a mother figure to he younger siblings. Unfortunately, she got to see two of her sisters (Empress Alexandra and Grand Duchess Elizabeth) murdered during the Russian Revolution (it is said that during her last visit to Russia, Victoria drove past the house the Imperial Family would be murdered in three years later), as well her daughter's nervous breakdown. After Alice was diagnosed with schizophrenia, she took care of Prince Philip (the Duke of Edinburgh), who later recalled: "I liked my grandmother very much and she was always helpful. She was very good with children ... she took the practical approach to them. She treated them in the right way – the right combination of the rational and the emotional." Victoria also thought Winston Churchill (then First Lord of the Admiralty) was unreliable because he once borrowed a book from her and never returned it.

- Grand Duchess Elizabeth Feodorovna of Russia, St. Elizabeth Romanova (Princess Elizabeth of Hesse and by Rhine)
One of the tragic victims of the Russian Revolution who never did harm to anyone in her life.

- Empress Alexandra of Russia (Princess Alix of Hesse and by Rhine)
Another of the victims of the Russian Revolution, she is sometimes blamed for the fate of the Imperial Family because of her influence over her husband, and personal decisions which alienated the Imperial Family from the people.

- Princess Irene of Hesse and by Rhine, Princess of Prussia
Despite the many tragedies which befell her family, and despite giving birth to two sons affected with haemophilia, Irene found happiness in her marriage. She and Prince Henry of Prussia were known as "The Very Amiables" by their numerous relatives for their pleasant natures and togetherness.

- Princess Marie of Hesse and by Rhine
One of the tragic Hesse children, Marie died aged just six from diphtheria. She was a much loved child and her death devastated her family. Her mother was even forced to hide news over her death from the rest of her family (all infected too) until they got a little better. Marie was particularly close to Alix; Princess Alice wrote to Queen Victoria that the two girls were inseparable.

- Queen Marie of Romania (Princess Marie of Edinburgh)
Largely known for her somewhat scandalous love life, Marie was also a great influence in politics. It is said her pro-Allies (mainly, pro-British) sympathies brought Romania to their side during World War I. She was also instrumental in Romania's highly successful post-war negotiations; she personally travelled to Paris and persuaded all the great powers to agree to Romania's requests, which eventually expanded the country's territory by over 60%.

- Princess Victoria Melita of Saxe-Coburg and Gotha (Grand Duchess of Russia)
She scandalized the royal families of Europe when she divorced her first husband in 1901. After the divorce, she married her first love, Grand Duke Kirill Vladimirovich - without the Emperor's consent. For that, they were initially banned from court and forced to leave Russia; later, however, the Emperor relented and they were allowed to go back. Maria Vladimirovna, the current claimant to the Russian Throne and Headship of the Imperial House, is Victoria's granddaughter.

- Princess Alexandra of Saxe-Coburg and Gotha
Her great-grandson, Christoph, Prince of Schleswig-Holstein, is head of the House of Oldenburg. As such, he is the head of the family that includes current and future Monarchs of Denmark, Norway, Greece and the United Kingdom (Margrethe II, Harald V, Constantine II and Prince Charles). He is also the senior male-line descendant of Christian III of Denmark, and as such, the heir to the headship of the entire Kalmar Union.

- Princess Beatrice of Saxe-Coburg and Gotha
She is perhaps best known because of the Spanish Affair scandal. There is some evidence that King Alfonso XIII of Spain (who was married to her cousin, Victoria Eugenie) tried to seduce her but she rebuffed him. In retaliation, Beatrice and her husband, Infante Alfonso, were exiled and the King's circle spread rumours the exile was because of Beatrice's unsavoury behaviour. The Queen was aware of the true nature of the scandal but was unable to help her cousin.

- Princess Helena Victoria (of Schleswig-Holstein-Sonderburg-Augustenburg)
After George V relinquished (on behalf of himself and all members of the British Royal Family who were British subjects) all foreign titles, Princess Helena and Princess Marie Louise acquired the distinction of being Princesses but not members of any particular Royal Family or Sovereign House.

- Princess Marie Louise (of Schleswig-Holstein-Sonderburg-Augustenburg)
Like her sister, she held the distinction of being Princesses but not members of any particular Royal Family or Sovereign House. Marie Louise is also known for her deeply unhappy (and eventually annulled) marriage to Prince Aribert of Anhalt.

- Sophia of Prussia, Queen of the Hellenes
Three of her sons became Kings of Greece, one of her daughters was Queen of Romania, the other - Duchess of Aosta. She is also grandmother of Queen Sofia of Spain and King Constantine of Greece.

- Princess Margaret of Prussia
She almost became Queen of Finland when her husband, Frederick Charles of Hesse-Kassel accepted the offer of the throne of the newly-formed independent Finland. However, Germany's defeat in World War I changed the game and Frederick Charles renounced the offer.

- Princess Charlotte of Prussia, Duchess of Saxe-Meiningen
The favourite sister of the Emperor, she was nevertheless unpopular with the German people. The Jagdschloss Grunewald scandal and neglect of her only child, Princess Feodora (Queen Victoria's eldest great-grandchild) did little to improve the image.

- Princess Viktoria of Prussia
Young Vicky is perhaps best remembered for her unfortunate love life; first, plans of her engagement to the dashing Alexander of Battenberg came to nothing. Her marriage to Adolf of Schaumburg-Lippe was not an unhappy one but he died in 1916, leaving her a widow. Her third marriage to a dancer decades her junior (who swiftly squandered her entire fortune) scandalised the royal families.
Old 01-03-2013, 07:33 PM
Super Moderator
Royal Blogger

I hope you've sent that onto the BBC,that's a series I'd also love to see!
Old 01-03-2013, 07:36 PM
Heir Apparent

Maybe they could do something like the Danish series on the descendents of Christian IX.
Old 01-03-2013, 08:42 PM
Heir Presumptive
Royal Blogger

Quote:
Originally Posted by An Ard Ri View Post
I hope you've sent that onto the BBC,that's a series I'd also love to see!
If I sent BBC every idea (or wish) I have about series on royals, my IP address would be permanently blocked.
I do hope they'll get to producing something like that though; it would be a really interesting watch, and not just for royal fans.

Quote:
Originally Posted by NGalitzine View Post
Maybe they could do something like the Danish series on the descendants of Christian IX.
Is it available online? I haven't seen the series but would love too.
Old 01-04-2013, 08:02 AM
Super Moderator
Royal Blogger

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dman View Post
Last part about to start:
tvpc.com - (TOP - BBC2)

Then afterwards, the movie Mrs. Brown will air.
An excellent choice and one of my favourite movies!
Old 05-14-2014, 04:11 AM
Commoner

I know this is an old thread but if anyone wants to watch the documentaries on Queen Victoria's children its on youtube that is where i watched it (its got the Cleopatras tv show with Uncle Vernon out of harry potter as pot belly)
Old 05-15-2014, 07:33 AM
Administrator

Old 05-15-2014, 07:33 AM
Administrator

Old 05-15-2014, 07:34 AM
Administrator