"Profession: Queen" in ZDF

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Blog Real

Imperial Majesty
City
Lisboa
Country
Portugal
German television documentary ZDF about Queen Letizia, Queen Maxima and Queen Mathilde.
This documentary followed the life of the three queens for 1 year.

The first episode airs this Saturday at 7:25 pm (local time) and is about Queen Letizia.
The other episodes air on August 31 (on Queen Mathilde) and September 7 (on Queen Maxima) at the same time.

https://www.zdf.de/dokumentation/zdfzeit/beruf-koenigin-letizia-von-spanien-100.html

https://www.zdf.de/dokumentation/dokumentation-sonstige/beruf-koenigin-mathilde-von-belgien-102.html

https://www.zdf.de/dokumentation/do...eruf-koenigin-maxima-der-niederlande-120.html

I really want to see these documentaries.
They should later be available on the ZDF website.

Spanish press news about the documentary:
https://translate.google.pt/transla.../reina-letizia-documental-television-alemana/

https://translate.google.pt/transla...etizia-documental-tv-alemana-trabajo_2183543/

https://translate.google.pt/transla...ia-documental-julia-melchor-alemania_2184035/

Trailer:
https://www.hola.com/realeza/casa_e...tizia-trailer-documental-profesion-reina-zdf/

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks, Blog Real. :flowers:

I watched the docu, admittedly with half an ear, early this morning.
It's a pretty typical of the ZDF royal reports, very positive - even when dealing with more controversial issues involving the royals they happen to portray.
It provides a good overall - safe - portrait of Queen Letizia while downplaying the points where she has and is being criticized.
The episode involving her daughter and mother-in-law outside the cathedral, was here angled as the media being too eager and too willing to blow what was perhaps only a minor spat out of proportions. - IMO the media can indeed be blamed for much, but this episode took place in full public view, so IMO fair is fair: here the press only did their job.

Conclusion:
If you don't know about Queen Letizia, this is a good start.
If you admire Queen Letizia you will love this!
If you already know about Queen Letizia and wish to learn more in-depth details about her, you can safely skip this docu.

I haven't seen the full documentary yet. But from what I've seen it sounds like a good documentary. There are some testimonials from people close to Letizia and this is the part that interests me.

I have just seen it. Unlike usual documentaries from ZDF royal, this one is very realistic and fair and not sugary at all. It highlights the work that Letizia does, the difficulties and challenges she faces as 'modern' Queen, the pressure she has to endure from the media and that she is not beyond dispute in Spain, as well as that her relationship with Queen Sofia is not easy at times (Palma incident). In her job she has to walk a tightrope under a microscope every day.
Although we can see the pictures from her office (they were published before her latest cooperation trip) it is really a pity that the Queen does not give a personal statement, let alone an interview.
It will be interesting to see Maxima, who has all the freedom she needs or Mathilde.

I haven't seen the full documentary yet. But from what I've seen it sounds like a good documentary. There are some testimonials from people close to Letizia and this is the part that interests me.

I am more interested in Maxima and Mathilde . I hope ZDF does a better job with them than with Letizia. Do you know when the other documentaries will air ?

Last edited:
I'm very sorry that Queen Letizia has never given an interview. King Philip VI also rarely gives interviews, when he was younger he even gave some but over time gave less and less interviews. King Juan Carlos and Queen Sofia also rarely give interviews. In other monarchies it is more common for members of royal families to give interviews.

Thanks, Blog Real. :flowers:

The episode involving her daughter and mother-in-law outside the cathedral, was here angled as the media being too eager and too willing to blow what was perhaps only a minor spat out of proportions. - IMO the media can indeed be blamed for much, but this episode took place in full public view, so IMO fair is fair: here the press only did their job.

Ok so I really hated how this episode was covered, which was unquestionably blown out of proportion, it's not even a spat and the Queen received all kind of threats and even a couple of people yelled at her weeks later during an official event, the constant national coverage, the international coverage and nothing even happened....It's completely pointless, absurd and I hate to rehash it but it's not true it happened in front of the press outside the Cathedral.

That absurd moment that doesn't even deserve to be called a incident happened while they were leaving the cathedral and were greeting the people inside.

The press corps was waiting outside, inside the cathedral only Casa Real and the state press agency were allowed, and in fact Leonor and Sofia leave the Cathedral holding hands with their grandma and everyone looks happy and smiling, nothing happened then.

It's only days later when an obscure press outlet that's always publishing absurd news, hoaxes and bald-out lies about the RF notices the moment on the video and publishes it. The press eats it up, it has the great villain of our time (Queen Letizia) and the poor victim (Queen Sofía) and two seconds of grainy footage where absolutely nothing happens. It gets blown out of proportion in a way that will probably haunt poor Letizia her whole life. I mean, people here still gleefully post about how she "interrupted" Felipe during their engagement interview 16 years ago (of course the Spanish press can't still let it go either) and it doesn't matter that it's something that every other wife has done to her "royal" husband. She just doesn't know her place

I have just seen it. Unlike usual documentaries from ZDF royal, this one is very realistic and fair and not sugary at all. It highlights the work that Letizia does, the difficulties and challenges she faces as 'modern' Queen, the pressure she has to endure from the media and that she is not beyond dispute in Spain, as well as that her relationship with Queen Sofia is not easy at times (Palma incident). In her job she has to walk a tightrope under a microscope every day.
Although we can see the pictures from her office (they were published before her latest cooperation trip) it is really a pity that the Queen does not give a personal statement, let alone an interview.
It will be interesting to see Maxima, who has all the freedom she needs or Mathilde.

The Spanish press is making a huge stink about it, most headlines are about how she gave access to a German journalist and blah blah blah when there's literally nothing new to those who follow her here for example. They had no special access and the German journalist (Julia Melchior) says it in every interview, any Spanish company could have done the same.

Last edited by a moderator:
The docu was kind of official, the german journalist Julia Melchior had access to the agenda of the Queen for over a year. She got the first pictures from the office of the Queen preparing an event, something that was never shown in spanish media before.

A friend of the Queen, Sagrario Ruiz de Apodaca, featured in this docu and spoke of the Palma incident, something Letizia surely authorized beforehand.
She spoke of a mistake the Queen made, she's only human after all, and that she forgot herself in a fracture of a second and made a mistake towards her MIL, something she deeply regretted, given the brutal media backslash that followed.

Last edited:
Ok so I really hated how this episode was covered, which was unquestionably blown out of proportion, it's not even a spat and the Queen received all kind of threats and even a couple of people yelled at her weeks later during an official event, the constant national coverage, the international coverage and nothing even happened....It's completely pointless, absurd and I hate to rehash it but it's not true it happened in front of the press outside the Cathedral.

That absurd moment that doesn't even deserve to be called a incident happened while they were leaving the cathedral and were greeting the people inside.

The press corps was waiting outside, inside the cathedral only Casa Real and the state press agency were allowed, and in fact Leonor and Sofia leave the Cathedral holding hands with their grandma and everyone looks happy and smiling, nothing happened then.

It's only days later when an obscure press outlet that's always publishing absurd news, hoaxes and bald-out lies about the RF notices the moment on the video and publishes it. The press eats it up, it has the great villain of our time (Queen Letizia) and the poor victim (Queen Sofía) and two seconds of grainy footage where absolutely nothing happens. It gets blown out of proportion in a way that will probably haunt poor Letizia her whole life. I mean, people here still gleefully post about how she "interrupted" Felipe during their engagement interview 16 years ago (of course the Spanish press can't still let it go either) and it doesn't matter that it's something that every other wife has done to her "royal" husband. She just doesn't know her place

Well, whether it was blown out of proportion or not, it sure got a lot of attention at the time! Just look at the thread here on TRF. I don't know how many pages was devoted to that episode.
Anyway, this ZDF docu would have lost all credibility had it not covered it. And they chose to cover it from as positive angle as possible. I don't think the SRF can be displeased with ZDF on that account.

:previous:
Obviously ZDF could not ignore this event. Much has been said about this, but today I think it is already outdated. But that was serious, it was and should not have happened.
I think the two Queens have already passed this ...

Not only Queen Mathide but also Queen Paola.
Nothing new , interviews translated in german , disappointed.

:previous:

The Queen actually gave the documentary maker a personal tour of the Royal Palace. She even praised her husband's painting skills when she was showing the interviewer a drawing made by King Leopold I. That was more involvement from the Belgian court than any of the other two Queens showed perhaps.

Its the 1st time I've heard Queen Mathide speak and she has such a soft almost queenly voice.

the Queen did not a personal tour in the Royal Palace but stayed in a Room which is private . Because of ZDF she showed our first King Leopold I , born german Prince.
She did not speak one word of german and it is one of our official languages.

I wonder if they will show this in Belgium as Place Royale (french TV )and Royalty(dutch TV) are cancelled.

I preferred Queen Letizia Documentary because She is a modern Queen.

I am looking forward Maxima's on September 7th .

All 3 Queens are very different women and have different circumstances. They are all extremely professional and have a hard job. Like Spain, Belgium is a difficult country but even though Mathilde has to walk on eggshells on many issues, she seems to have more freedom to do her job and is by far not being triviallized by the tabloid press like Letizia. She has the 'oldest' style of them but it works very well for her.
I guess soon we'll see that Maxima has kind of the easiest ride with the most freedom in her agenda and personality.

I think the Belgians are blessed to have a wonderful queen like Mathilde a consort who has natural regality with modern touch.

the Queen did not a personal tour in the Royal Palace but stayed in a Room which is private . Because of ZDF she showed our first King Leopold I , born german Prince.
She did not speak one word of german and it is one of our official languages.

I wonder if they will show this in Belgium as Place Royale (french TV )and Royalty(dutch TV) are cancelled.

I preferred Queen Letizia Documentary because She is a modern Queen.

I am looking forward Maxima's on September 7th .

Yes I also noted that she did not speak a word in German. But I am quite sure that nobody in my own RF speaks Frisian and I doubt the Queen of Spain speaks Catalan, Basque or Galician.

I was surprised they showed the anti-bullying video that the Queen made. When it was posted I only remember that many were wondering if it was a parody.

Are Place Royale and VTM's Royalty cancelled for good or just for the summer?

Dear Marengo, german is our official language. The day the late King Baudouin died it was written in his agenda : Ce soir je dois étudier mon allemand ".

Place Royale and Royalty cancelled defintively such as Luxarazzi for Luxembourg and Liechtenstein.!

We have to look your "Blauw Bloed ". MO

Dear Marengo, german is our official language. The day the late King Baudouin died it was written in his agenda : Ce soir je dois étudier mon allemand ".

Place Royale and Royalty cancelled defintively such as Luxarazzi for Luxembourg and Liechtenstein.!

We have to look your "Blauw Bloed ". MO

Let's put things in perspective: German is an official language of Belgium, but is spoken natively by less than 1 % of the Belgian population. Queen Mathilde already speaks French (natively), Dutch (much better now than in the past and continuously improving), and English. In a recent awards ceremony in Germany, she read a few paragraphs in German from a prepared (written) speech, which was highly praised by the audience. I think it is unreasonable and unfair to demand that she speak German to a ZDF interviewer who might have (and probably has) chosen to conduct the interview in French or some other language the Queen is more comfortable with anyway.

Mathilde tries very hard to be an exemplary queen, but it looks like, for some people, it is never enough.

Last edited:
I just watched Máximas part. As expected, it shows that she has most freedom and backing to do her job, plus the most vibrant personality. The Dutch see Máximas closeness to politics as 'networking' and embrace it.

But at the end of the day, these 3 Queens and those to come all do the same thing: raising awareness for causes, put causes on the map, be visibly useful for society. Modern Queens with busy agendas who have to deal with the modern media, for better or worse, living under a microscope. But that gives a lot of opportunities, too. Without a formal role in the constitution they are rather royal managers than Queens (the title is misleading anyway).

I just saw Maxima and I agree with you. She was not seen as a Queen Consort , I hoped Glitter and it were notes , speeches etc...
I hope the ZDF will never be seen in Belgium.. French and some dutch speaking translated in german , we never heard long Their voices . The german will be translated in french or Dutch l
Sorry for my english it is late in the evening...

All 3 Queens are very different women and have different circumstances. They are all extremely professional and have a hard job. Like Spain, Belgium is a difficult country but even though Mathilde has to walk on eggshells on many issues, she seems to have more freedom to do her job and is by far not being triviallized by the tabloid press like Letizia. She has the 'oldest' style of them but it works very well for her.
I guess soon we'll see that Maxima has kind of the easiest ride with the most freedom in her agenda and personality.

Has probably also to with the fact that she was quiet open welcomed at the engagement and won the people and media soon over. This was not the case with Letizia as we all know and she has never managed to really win the people and press for her.

I hope the ZDF will never be seen in Belgium.. French and some dutch speaking translated in german , we never heard long Their voices . The german will be translated in french or Dutch l
Sorry for my english it is late in the evening...

The Documentary was made for a public german TV channel so it is quiet logic that the sentences who where spoken translated to german. Would be unlogic to send something on german Tvb where people are spekaing french/dutch or spanish.

Perhaps belgianj TV could make their own Documentary about Queen Mathilde then you can hear speak her in one of your own langauges.

Mathilde's path pales into comparison with Letizia. She never had to endure years of ridicule from the media. However, the world praises her of her style and her modern ways. I too praise her style of parenting and her beauty and elegance. She is definitely my modern Queen. Very upfront and smart. Her charisma is not like other Queens.

Last edited:
Only one Queen has charisma , it is Maxima.
Mathillde is a proud MAJESTY , we never had a Majesty before but Sire, Madame.

Letizia has had much to endure but I feel overtime she will overcome it all and will blossom into a wonderful queen just like her mother in law.

Letizia has had much to endure but I feel overtime she will overcome it all and will blossom into a wonderful queen just like her mother in law.
The docu mentioned that it took Sofia years to win over the spanish public, act by act, many of them dramatic where Sofia showed her empathy. But in Sofia's time there was no media pressure.
It was also mentioned that while people who deal directly with Letizia speak of her as warm and caring, the public perception is very different, so far she failed winning over the spanish people. The Palma incident proved this with social media going totally over the top in negativity, including MC, a family related princess who obviously has insider knowledge, accusing Letizia of showing her true colours.

I agree that Máxima is the only Queen who has true charisma, she turned the tide against her within seconds, famously calling WA a beetje dom, a bit stupid, with regard to his actions towards her family controversy. The public knew to differentiate between her and her father from the beginning. She already spoke dutch at the engagement and never seriously put a foot wrong, fully trusted by Queen B.

Letizia for some reason never managed to turn the tide, as Princess she started as bossy career woman type, transformed into a silent accessory and was never given the freedom to develop befitting her position. She always did her job in a professional manner, but something is lacking, authenticy, enthusiasm .... people seem not to buy what she sells. Surprisingly, people not even really warmed to her or at least thought live and let live after her sisters death that hit her very hard. The media became her hardest critic from day 1 and still is today.

Back
Top Bottom