“Prince William’s Passion: New Father, New Hope” (2013) - CNN Special

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Dman

Imperial Majesty
City
Midwest
Country
United States
“Prince William’s Passion: New Father, New Hope” (2013) - CNN Special

“Prince William’s Passion: New Father, New Hope” premieres on CNN Sunday, September 15th at 10 pm ET:

The special chronicles the Prince’s passion for Africa and his dream to save the world’s most endangered species. As a new father, the Prince discusses his hope that one day his son can experience the same Africa that he and Prince Harry did as young boys.

The Royal Family has worked on conservation in Africa for generations. In Prince William’s Passion: New Father, New Hope, the Prince discusses how he is continuing the tradition. His love of Africa and its endangered species were instilled in him by his father Prince Charles, and late mother Princess Diana. The Duke of Cambridge also highlights some of the incredible work done by individuals in the area of conservation including Tusk, an organization that he is a patron of.

CNN

Preview:
In Prince William's Passion: New Father, New Hope airing on CNN this Sunday, September 15th at 10 pm ET, Prince William tells CNN's Max Foster that for him "it’s a sense of freedom, being out in the middle of nowhere in Africa."

Prince William on his emotional connection to Africa "For me, it's a sense of freedom" – CNN Press Room - CNN.com Blogs

The documentary chronicles the Prince's passion for conservation in Africa and its endangered species. He describes the first time he saw Africa, "I had no real idea that I would feel that way. I never realized how much emotionally and sort of mentally it would affect you. It is magical."

About the animals he fell in love with as a young boy, he tells Foster "You want to stand up for what is very vulnerable and what needs protecting and elephants, rhinos and many other animals that are persecuted, the natural environment itself: it doesn’t have a voice."

Later, he explains how becoming a father has changed his perspective: "I just think the last few weeks for me have just been a very different emotional experience. Something I never thought I’d feel myself. And I find, again, it’s only been a short period, but a lot of things affect me differently now."

Last edited by a moderator:
For those who are outside the UK: ITV1
tvpc.com - ITV-1

I'll be watching it on CNN later.

I don't know how to reconcile William's concern for animal welfare with his passion for hunting and shooting them.

It's very confusing to me.:sad:

^^ Simply put, it's a matter of endangered and threatened species as opposed to non-endangered and non-threatened animals. Animal welfare (and animal rights) are different things.

Last edited:
I don't know how to reconcile William's concern for animal welfare with his passion for hunting and shooting them.

I think this is a fair question and as Cinrit says these are 2 different issues. Here are a couple of examples.

Rhinos are killed, not for food, but for their tusks. These are used mainly in the asian markets for health or sexual prowess reasons. They are limited in number and are close to extinction.

Deer numbers in Scotland are managed because without that oversight, the land cannot support them. Inevitably they would starve. the general way of managing is culling and although this may sound harsh, it is necessary for the reasons given.

Management of the deer, other wildlife and the environment is one of the very few working opportunities in the Highlands and therefore the local population welcome seasonal hunters. So the hunting of deer provides a sustainable environment for the animals, aids maintaining the floral environment, gives employment opportunities and provides food.

Massive difference.

Thanks for responses, cinrit and cepe!

Not so puzzling at all. William does not hunt endangered species and the WWF for Nature is not at all opposed to hunting in general. In fact the culling of herds is necessary for maintaining the species. With no natural preditors herds grow and are unable to sustain themselves on the available food supply and would end up starving to death.

Last edited:
Has William or Harry shown interest in the people of Africa and AIDS?

Has William or Harry shown interest in the people of Africa and AIDS?

Harry's Sentebale popped right into my mind. From its website, Sentebale is described as:

Sentebale is a charity founded by Prince Harry and Prince Seeiso of Lesotho. We help the most vulnerable children in Lesotho get the support they need to lead healthy and productive lives.

Sentebale works with local grassroots organisations to help these children – the victims of extreme poverty and Lesotho’s HIV/AIDS epidemic. Together, we’re making a big difference to these children’s lives. We can do even more with your help.

Sentebale means "forget me not" and was named in memory of both of the princes' mothers.

I watched both ITV and CNN's programs and I was very touched by William's passion for conservation in Africa. The animals are the jewels of the mother nation and they must be protected and looked after. I'm proud that this program and awards help highlight the issues and put the spotlight on those who are going out of their way to protect rhino's, elephants and countless other creatures.

I also found it very touching on how emotional William got in the interview. He really care about these animals and their welfare. It was beautiful to see him watch his late mother at work in those video clips and his father. Diana and Charles has passed down a great legacy to both William & Harry. Also, I like that he watched his grandmother's speech from Africa.

William & Catherine just beamed at the awards and enjoyed chatting to everyone. You can see they love talking about George and hope to take him to Africa someday. I bet there was a lot of tears flowing when he was born.

The interview was great and it showed a side of William that many don't get to see.

I watched both ITV and CNN's programs and I was very touched by William's passion for conservation in Africa.

What was the difference between the ITV and CNN versions? I watched the CNN airing. Worth seeking out the ITV version??

What was the difference between the ITV and CNN versions? I watched the CNN airing. Worth seeking out the ITV version??

Not much difference really but I think the ITV version a little better than the CNN version.

I found the program to be very well made and William really put his own emotional touches to the interview. Sometimes he looked close to tears and other times, he had that infectious smile and twinkle in his eyes. One cannot watch this documentary and believe that William in unemotional.

Earlier in the thread Xenia asked if either William and Harry are doing anything for the people in Africa and that thought struck me as I watched just what was involved with the people working to preserve the wildlife. It isn't just the animals but the local communities play a large part in their endeavors. It made me realize that its not only protecting and preserving the endangered animals but also protecting and preserving the communities and the ecosystem.

One thing I was happy about is that although there was good focus on George and that he's a rascal with the roar of a lion, it was minimal as not to distract from the real purpose of the film.

I've just added a visit to Africa to my bucket list. It'd be amazing to witness it all first hand.

I'm obviously a little jaded as wittering on about his newborn son to reinforce his dedication to conservation in Africa is sort of like throwing dust in our eyes. Everyone sees the cute baby and goes awww and forget to look at just how much time and effort William needs or intends to expend on this venture?

Not full time, not even half time or part time. He is the figurehead and, for the most part, that's it. Just like Harry and Sentebale, he fund raises and visits when he can but he still has a full time job. William is obviously not relocating to Africa so, what is he going to do with the rest of his time since he's left the military?

@MARG: I guess that everyone is crazy about the little boy and the young parents are overjoyed with their son George! Even if it may be "too much" or distracting from other important topics, we have to get used to seeing & hearing a lot about Prince George,he is everybody´s darling at the moment :)

Apart from that,I am glad to know that Prince William cares deeply about the protection of endangered species and environmental issues. These issues are very important because at the moment the respect and protection of natural resources seems to be at the bottom of political agendas in most countries...this is going to create a lot of problems in the future because we depend on the nature to provide us with food,water,raw material, etc.
With a fast-growing population the pollution of water and destruction of wildlife may endanger communities and create a lot of suffering for many people, especially those who are living in developing nations.

I'm obviously a little jaded as wittering on about his newborn son to reinforce his dedication to conservation in Africa is sort of like throwing dust in our eyes. Everyone sees the cute baby and goes awww and forget to look at just how much time and effort William needs or intends to expend on this venture?

Not full time, not even half time or part time. He is the figurehead and, for the most part, that's it. Just like Harry and Sentebale, he fund raises and visits when he can but he still has a full time job. William is obviously not relocating to Africa so, what is he going to do with the rest of his time since he's left the military?

Obviously charity projects takes time to develop so William will be busy with official engagements and other royal duties.

I think this is a fair question and as Cinrit says these are 2 different issues. Here are a couple of examples.

Rhinos are killed, not for food, but for their tusks. These are used mainly in the asian markets for health or sexual prowess reasons. They are limited in number and are close to extinction.

Deer numbers in Scotland are managed because without that oversight, the land cannot support them. Inevitably they would starve. the general way of managing is culling and although this may sound harsh, it is necessary for the reasons given.

Management of the deer, other wildlife and the environment is one of the very few working opportunities in the Highlands and therefore the local population welcome seasonal hunters. So the hunting of deer provides a sustainable environment for the animals, aids maintaining the floral environment, gives employment opportunities and provides food.

Massive difference.
Perfect explanation! Great job.

I watched the interview yesterday. I like the way Prince William speaks. His answers were well thought-out and clearly presented.

Back
Top Bottom