"Prince Philip: The Plot to Make a King" (2015) - Channel 4 Documentary

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Dman

Imperial Majesty
City
Midwest
Country
United States
Prince Philip: The Plot to Make a King- Channel 4- 30th, July 2015 9pm:

Secret History reveals the untold story of the tensions unleashed by the Queen's marriage to Prince Philip, when she struggled to reconcile love with the suspicions of her family and her government-

Prince Philip: The Plot to Make a King - All 4

Last edited:
Thanks for the information I'll be watching this fore sure!

What more did the government require for Prince Philip to prove his loyalty to Great Britain?? One would think that putting one's life in danger serving a country during war would be enough.

I'm no royal expert but this is not an "untold" story. it is mentioned in most royal biographies covering HMQ, DoE, QEQM and Mountbatten. It was discussed in much of the media at various key dates such as wedding anniversaries.

Maybe it is just new to Channel 4

WHy else would they auction their wedding cake? Royal Wedding Cake: Slice Of Queen Elizabeth's Wedding Cake Up For Auction (PHOTO)

After the wedding on the balcony

Royal Weddings - Elizabeth II and Philip on Balcony After Wedding

They are like 4th cousins or something, maybe third. Problems, naaah. Them? No way. Those two look like the best of friends, seriously, without a doubt they do love each other but, it's the good graces they keep each other in that keeps the bond real. They haven't gone cliche.

WHy else would they auction their wedding cake? Royal Wedding Cake: Slice Of Queen Elizabeth's Wedding Cake Up For Auction (PHOTO)

After the wedding on the balcony

Royal Weddings - Elizabeth II and Philip on Balcony After Wedding

They are like 4th cousins or something, maybe third. Problems, naaah. Them? No way. Those two look like the best of friends, seriously, without a doubt they do love each other but, it's the good graces they keep each other in that keeps the bond real. They haven't gone cliche.

I know the information on just how they're related is somewhere around here and probably pretty easy to find out. IIRC, they're related from more than one lineage too.

I'm sure over the years they've been married there have been times when they had their "I don't like you too much right now" times and several stories do come to mind such as a shoe flying out the door at Philip and Elizabeth being a back seat driver but what marriage doesn't have the ups and downs? One area of discord was Philip's statement that he's the only man that couldn't pass his name down to his children. That was solved with the creation of the Mountbatten-Windsor surname for descendants that required the use of a surname. The Queen may be the sovereign but when it comes to home, hearth and family, Philip definitely rules the roost. :D

Queen Elizabeth and Prince Phillip are third cousins. Other third cousins of the Queen include:

• Queen Margrethe II of Denmark
  • King Carl XVI Gustaf of Sweden
  • King Juan Carlos of Spain
  • Queen Sofia of Spain
  • King Albert II of the Belgians

King Harald V of Norway, on the other hand, is Queen Elizabeth's second cousin. King Felipe VI of Spain , King Philippe of the Belgians and Grand Duke Henri of Luxemburg are third cousins once removed from the Queen. Finally, Queen Elizabeth and Princess (formerly Queen) Beatrix of the Netherlands are, I believe, fifth cousins (I'm not sure about that one though).

People sell royal memorabilia all the time. What's your point?:confused:

Perhaps the original recipient of the wedding cake found that no one else in their family appreciated it after all these years. So they decided to auction it. ;):p

The documentary was great. I knew Prince Philip had some difficulties when he came into the then, Princess Elizabeth's life, but the doc really shinned a little more light on the situations he faced for many years.

I think it was a good decision to add Mountbatten to the surname as it made Philip feel a bit more important. I can understand why a man such as him would have found it very hard to always play second fiddle to a woman, so adding Mountbatten to their surname was well played. When Sophie was pregnant with Louise there were some articles saying this grandchild will make Philip very happy as he/she would be officially styled as Mountbatten-Windsor. At the minute James is the only person whose children will use Mountbatten-Windsor as a surname as Harry's children will eventually, if he has any, be HRH as per LP.

The BBC and ITV have, for various reasons, a tendency to be overly deferential to Buckingham Palace. But once again, Channel 4’s maverick approach to the royals has produced something genuinely insightful-
Why the BBC would never broadcast Prince Philip: the Plot to Make a King | Television & radio | The Guardian

"For many viewers, though, the biggest shock will be the claim that the British royals were initially suspicious of Philip because of his leftwing views.

While it is easy to imagine the present rather ideologically different Duke harrumphing and bloodying during the film – especially in the sequence about his Nazi sisters – the programme is not unsympathetic to him as a man who had to more or less invent the role of royal consort. Most of Channel 4’s previous royal programmes have clearly not been what the palace would have wanted but the status of Prince Philip: the Plot to Make a King is intriguingly ambiguous. A number of his relatives and friends take part and so there is a feeling that either he or those close to him wanted to tell these stories before they become the province of obituarists and secondhand reporters."

There were interesting insights into the family life and lead up to the marriage from the interviews with Philips's cousins Countess Mountbatten,Lady Pamela and his nephew Prince Rainer of Hesse.

I watched the documentary last night and am currently watching it again on repeat with my mother, as she didn't get to see all of it.

I enjoyed it a lot, and didn't realise that Philip was technically orphaned when his mother was put in a mental institution, and his father took a mistress.

This documentary also got me wondering: what religion was Philip before he married HM? Was he Greek Orthodox? RFs often follow the official religion of their country, and Greek Orthodox is obviously the official religion of Greece.

I know that Prince Philip born and baptised as Greek Orthodox (it is the offficial religion of my country) but left baby from Greece so i don't know if he is keep this religion.

Prince Philip became a member of the Church of England after his engagement to Princess Elizabeth. He had been Greek Orthodox.

I didn't learn anything new from the documentary really. It's pretty well all been known for years. I didn't like the way that George, Marquess of Milford Haven, the older of Princess Alice's brothers was written out of Philip's childhood, however. Philip was very fond of his uncle George and his son David was a good friend of Philip's when he was young. George looked after his nephew on the holidays when he was at school in England. It was only after George died of bone cancer in 1938 and things became difficult in Germany that Mountbatten really took charge.

There's also cute detail in the documentary that Lady Pamela Hicks hid HM's favourite corgi in the carriage so that it could go on her and Prince Philip's honeymoon.

I know that Prince Philip born and baptised as Greek Orthodox (it is the offficial religion of my country) but left baby from Greece so i don't know if he is keep this religion.

Prince Philip became a member of the Church of England after his engagement to Princess Elizabeth. He had been Greek Orthodox.

Thank you both for answering. :flowers:

I've always loved interviews of the Mountbatten sisters and Margaret Rhodes was a fascinating and charming lady who seems to have a very good sense of humour.

In one of the DoE's biographies they talked about how the courtiers at the palace were not a fan of Elizabeth picking him, they felt she needed to marry an Englishman. She'd been impressed by Phillip since she was 14, not surprising the King didn't veto her choice.

LaRae

What more did the government require for Prince Philip to prove his loyalty to Great Britain?? One would think that putting one's life in danger serving a country during war would be enough.
I'm no royal expert but this is not an "untold" story. it is mentioned in most royal biographies covering HMQ, DoE, QEQM and Mountbatten. It was discussed in much of the media at various key dates such as wedding anniversaries.Maybe it is just new to Channel 4
Yes indeed, obviously risking life and limb not to mention being an inspired and decorated Naval Officer certainly wasn't enough for the bigots. But once again I find myself irritated by the inflammatory rubbish that is the title of the documentary itself, "Prince Philip: The Plot to Make a King", not to mention their advertising with photos of Philip walking behind a coffin with a group of German Brownshirt and SS Officers.

That Princess Elizabeth should fall in love at first sight at such a young age (13) would dismay any parent although I think we have to remember that people married younger in those days. Most grow out of it but Elizabeth did not even though she was a serious young girl and woman, being groomed for the throne by a loving father that wanted to ensure she had the backbone to hold the crown.

That "suitable" young men were paraded in front of her was a given, yet Elizabeth never wavered and, strangely enough, I think her father and perhaps even her mother came to understand how steadfast both she and he were and that she'd need a man of strength to love and be loved by when she became Queen.

In allowing the marriage I believe that King George thought she was going to have more than her fair share of difficulties when she became Queen. Being married to someone she loved and had the strength to both love and support her could only make things a little easier to bear, knowing as he did that there were many plotting and planning on how to exploit a young queen. In point of fact, the only plot mentioned was that to usurp Princess Elizabeth's right to stand Regent for her Father. That was almost treasonous, saved only by the fact that the King recovered. At least they got that part right.

As to all the "shock and scandal" of Philip's relatives, as cepe said, there is no "untold story". But with it's unsavoury advertising hints I am sure it made money from advertising and selling the documentary itself.

Very interesting view, i recommend it

Back
Top Bottom