"Palais Royal!" (2008) - French comedy loosely based on the death of Diana

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

MihoshiMarie

Aristocracy
Country
United States
Sorry if this has been posted before...but I found this article about a French film that is loosely based on the life of Princess Diana:

A GLAMOROUS princess catches her husband in adultery then takes revenge, becoming a global star and charity saint. She takes her gym instructor to bed, manipulates the media against the royal family, gives a devastating British TV interview and is killed falling off London's Tower Bridge.

Though not exactly the life of the late Diana, Princess of Wales, this familiar tale is the plot of an all-star comedy film that opened in France this week to high acclaim and packed cinemas.

The above paragraphs are taken from "Diana send-up Tickles French", from The Australian.

You can view the trailer at the official site. It is in French, of course, but there is no English version.

I didn't know the French were so interested in Diana. Is the movie going to be released in the USA?

I read the review some weeks ago on Point de Vue, I hope they have subtitles or a translated version. To this day I have not forgiven French TV for not translating (or at least putting subtitles) in the miniseries Les Rois Maudits.

Last edited:
I did hear about this somewhere if I can find the source I'll tell you.

I took a peek at the site of the movie, and to my surprise, it features France's own movie queen Catharine Deneuve, as the mother in law/queen I think.

oh Catherine Deneuve, someone who has not aged gracefully...but i digresse, my impressions from when I was in france on an exchange is that they are still very fascinated by royalty, their own or others, especially those like my host mother who was very much a monarchiste and wanted to bring back the french monarchy, doesn't surprise me at all that they would decide to make a movie like this...has anyone seen it? or has it not been released yet?

I liked this film very much. The director, Valérie Lemercier, created most of the situations (color, clothes, gestures) helphing herself with photos in Point de Vue. That was very nice.

I watched this movie a week ago, i think. I got interested with the title, but until i finished the movie, i didn't realised it's based on Princess Diana. Now that i've read all of your posts, hmm... there're lots of similarities.

I don't really like the woman who plays Princess Armelle (or the Diana in this case) but, due to the great plot-line, i think all of the aspects blend it pretty well.

Compared to other royal movies (like Prince & Me), this movie has certainly done some research. The sashes, palaces, gala dresses, tiaras, or the fashion style looks really real. There's a lot of elegant fashion styles here. and thank goodness no "crown queen" title, haha....

The plot makes the movie quite funny. I guess that's what a woman should do when her husband is really being a jerk. Don't yell or make strong arguing.. but, plot something behind your husband back. haha...
However, i'm quite surprised to see the ending where Armelle died. How ironic!

and oh.. here's the IMDB link.

Does anyone know if this movie is available in the US on DVD? I've tried Amazon.com and haven't seen anything so far. And on Amazon.fr they only have the DVD in region 2 format, which won't play on an American DVD player.

We don't have it yet in North America. The movie is still in a few cinemas here in Montreal so it might take a few weeks.
You can always check on www.archambault.ca, choose «vidéo» in the «recherche» option and put in either Catherine Deneuve or Valérie Lemercier.

It's a really funny movie. I have it in DVD but when you know more about Diana, beneath the first impression most people have of her, the film is still fun but not really based on the real Princess Diana IMO. I don't recognize her complicated personnality in the character of Armelle (the princess in the film). Armelle is quite simple, too simple in fact. Not at all like that Diana.

I did hear about this somewhere if I can find the source I'll tell you.

Following recent information in the press, the brother of lady diana, has at last found himself a woman after many broken relationships. This woman is the sosie of lady diana.

Nazma FOURRE

I didn't know the French were so interested in Diana. Is the movie going to be released in the USA?

You'd be amazed ;). French TV almost aired as many documentaries as the UK for the 10th anniversary of her death last year.

Sosie of Diana he's dating ? I saw a pic of them and, apart from the blond hair, she doesn't look like Diana at all !!!!

Following recent information in the press, the brother of lady diana, has at last found himself a woman after many broken relationships. This woman is the sosie of lady diana.

Nazma FOURRE

Why are we talking about Earl Spencer? I didn't see his name mentioned in other posts ...

For me I thought the movie was done quite well and was funny in parts (especially when the Princess plots against her husband) and the storyline was great as well.

I also loved the part when the queen calls the prince and princess about their photo shoot in the magazine and on the cover is Mary and Frederik's wedding picture :lol:

does anyone understand the part when the prince runs out of the house but he does this in slow motion (and everything is normal speed)

does anyone understand the part when the prince runs out of the house but he does this in slow motion (and everything is normal speed)

I've read they thought it would look much funnier if they do it in slow motion at normal speed, instead of making it slow motion at the montage. In fact he realizes he loves her, that's why he looks so happy. I guess it's the 'comedy touch' to parody romantic movies.

I've read they thought it would look much funnier if they do it in slow motion at normal speed, instead of making it slow motion at the montage. In fact he realizes he loves her, that's why he looks so happy. I guess it's the 'comedy touch' to parody romantic movies.

:lol: I took another look at the movie just now and he does look happy. The subtitles in my DVD say that the song is translated "i love my wife". I guess now it makes more sense.

Thanks anyway, much appreciated:flowers:

Back
Top Bottom