The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Join The Royal Forums Today

Old 03-29-2016, 04:28 PM
Heir Apparent
Royal Blogger

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mbruno View Post
I was not referring to your point specifcally, but rather to other people's comments that Catherine sounded "overly posh". I didn't get that impression myself.

Thank you for clearing that up. I just got confused a little since you had quoted my post.

"Think of all the beauty still left around you and be happy". Anne Frank
Old 03-29-2016, 04:37 PM
Heir Apparent

I thought Catherine sounded like most of the people in her circle I've heard speak. It's not like she met William while waiting tables in Liverpool.....she was raised going to private schools.

LaRae

Old 03-29-2016, 04:42 PM
Royal Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by Duke of Marmalade View Post
Did Philip decline to take part in the documentary? I find it very very odd that he of all family members is not included, given the relationship that they have.
I don't think Philip is the type to sit and talk warmly about anyone, not even his wife. He did not do it during her 80th birthday or during the Diamond Jubilee.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Duke of Marmalade View Post
another thing that came to my mind: Beckham just wants that Knighthood so badly!
People can talk warmly about an iconic monarch who turns 90, have been on the throne for 64 years and who has devoted her life to the UK and the Commonwealth without having motives. And it's not the Queen who decides if he gets a Knighthood or not.
Old 03-29-2016, 05:12 PM
Heir Apparent

Philip did an interview with Fiona Bruce I think for his 90th birthday. I think it's called Philip at 90.

Sent from my iPhone using The Royals Community
Old 03-29-2016, 05:20 PM
Imperial Majesty

I didn't get the fuss over Catherine's voice either. She have been a little nervous, because she's not used to giving interviews like other members of the family, but she did very well. Sadly, the people on Twitter and DM made her contribution to the documentary about the sound of her voice rather than what she had to say.

I enjoyed her tribute to her grandmother-in-law.

GENTLEMAN'S ESSENTIALS
Old 03-29-2016, 05:47 PM
Royal Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skippyboo View Post
Philip did an interview with Fiona Bruce I think for his 90th birthday. I think it's called Philip at 90.

Sent from my iPhone using The Royals Community
Yes I know, and the interview was part of the BBC documentary The Duke at 90. He also did an interview in the ITV documentary Prince Philip at 90, but that was to talk about him self.
Old 03-29-2016, 06:14 PM
Imperial Majesty

It was surprising Philip, Anne and Edward wasn't part of the documentary. Perhaps they're paying tribute in another project, but you would expect to hear from in this doc.

GENTLEMAN'S ESSENTIALS
Old 03-29-2016, 06:32 PM
Royal Highness

No one knows if Philip participated and his comments ended up on the cutting room floor or if the television crew failed to included him. (Same for Anne & Edward.)

They seem to want to tell a story and the quotes that fit the story were included in the program.

The program wanted to showcase Catherine and William and so they included more quotes from them than anyone other person.

Catherine said she was told she talks too much and it was evident in the documentary.
She is clearly a chatterbox but as a member of the BRF she needs to check herself. I think she may have been trying to do just that and to some people she appeared spaced out. I think she was just trying not to ramble on.

The only comment of Catherine that I found fault with was:
"George is only two and a half and he calls her Gan-Gan."
This came across as arrogant.

She should have said, 'Like all the Queen's great grandchildren George at two and half calls her Gan-Gan.'

The Queen's grandchildren call her 'granny' and Philip 'grandpa'. They referred to their great grandmother (QEQM) as 'Gan-Gan', so it was a safe assumption that Queen Elizabeth II's great grandchildren also refer to her as 'Gan-Gan'.
Old 03-29-2016, 06:56 PM
Royal Highness

I think this program was just fine.
The focus was obviously on the young generation, and why not? Some of these young members had to struggle with the bad press lately and it was nice to hear them for a change. For exemple i discovered the York sisters and found them quite lively and natural! Nothing new from William and Harry and i must admit that i found Catherine a bit posh or trying too hard .
Charles opened and closed the program, which is nice. I liked Camilla and Sophie, we don't hear from them very often ...
Overall it was just fine, just nothing special and like many many other programs about the BRF.
"Monarchy : the royal family at work" was far better imo.
Old 03-29-2016, 06:56 PM
Imperial Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by Queen Camilla View Post
No one knows if Philip participated and his comments ended up on the cutting room floor or if the television crew failed to included him. (Same for Anne & Edward.)

They seem to want to tell a story and the quotes that fit the story were included in the program.

The program wanted to showcase Catherine and William and so they included more quotes from them than anyone other person.

Catherine said she was told she talks too much and it was evident in the documentary.
She is clearly a chatterbox but as a member of the BRF she needs to check herself. I think she may have been trying to do just that and to some people she appeared spaced out. I think she was just trying not to ramble on.

She should have said, 'Like all the Queen's great grandchildren George at two and half calls her Gan-Gan.'

The Queen's grandchildren call her 'granny' and Philip 'grandpa'. They referred to their great grandmother (QEQM) as 'Gan-Gan', so it was a safe assumption that Queen Elizabeth II's great grandchildren also refer to her as 'Gan-Gan'.
I think it's great that Catherine takes a little more time to chat to people. She have something in common with Prince Philip in the chatting department. He is famously known to chat a little too long, and sometimes make The Queen wait for him. It's better to chat and say something meaningful, rather than say two words and move on. It's an art, but I think she's just fine.

GENTLEMAN'S ESSENTIALS
Old 03-29-2016, 07:23 PM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by Queen Camilla View Post

I doubt Philip, Anne and Edward would be cut. If they were interviewed, they would have found a way to fit it in. The interviewers controlled the questions so if they wanted the parts to fit a certain story, they could lead the interview in that direction. I don't see the film crew deciding to cut the queen's husband from her tribute if he had actually sat down to interview.

As for Kate, it was a comment on his age. If George was a bit older and speaking better, he would call her Gran Gran (with the r). But at 2 he likely cant pronounce the r sound. He likely calls Carole Ganny. Mia and George both likely have the same issue. Isla and Savannah should be old enough to call her Gran Gran (and we don't know if all the kids use the sam term, they may not) and Charlotte is too young to call her anyting.
Old 03-29-2016, 07:38 PM
Serene Highness

I doubt anyone was cut, ITV seemed happy to advertise it as a documentary with a record number of royals contributing. I imagine the producers would have found a way to keep Anne and Edward and Philip in even if just for a soundbite or two.

I suspect diary commitments meant Anne and Edward couldn't contribute or they have plans to do so to another program for the Queen's 90th.

I wonder if Philip being Philip, and being from a different generation, may have found it quite difficult or awkward talking at length about the Queen, his wife. The Queen didn't contribute to the programs surrounding Philips's 90th celebrations. I get the feeling its just not what they do.
Old 03-29-2016, 08:01 PM
Royal Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by Countessmeout View Post
I doubt Philip, Anne and Edward would be cut. If they were interviewed, they would have found a way to fit it in. The interviewers controlled the questions so if they wanted the parts to fit a certain story, they could lead the interview in that direction. I don't see the film crew deciding to cut the queen's husband from her tribute if he had actually sat down to interview.

As for Kate, it was a comment on his age. If George was a bit older and speaking better, he would call her Gran Gran (with the r). But at 2 he likely cant pronounce the r sound. He likely calls Carole Ganny. Mia and George both likely have the same issue. Isla and Savannah should be old enough to call her Gran Gran (and we don't know if all the kids use the sam term, they may not) and Charlotte is too young to call her anyting.
No I think Gan-Gan is what they call the greatgrandmother. IIRC, in a previous documentary, I believe it was Beatrice who said they refer to the Queen Mother as Gan-Gan. Beatrice was an adult.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tommy100 View Post
I doubt anyone was cut, ITV seemed happy to advertise it as a documentary with a record number of royals contributing. I imagine the producers would have found a way to keep Anne and Edward and Philip in even if just for a soundbite or two.

I suspect diary commitments meant Anne and Edward couldn't contribute or they have plans to do so to another program for the Queen's 90th.
There was plenty of time to get everyone included in the film as it was filmed throughout the year.

Charles and Camilla were filmed at Clarence House both on days when they clearly had other engagements. They probably filmed everyone in London.

Check the CC and see what days people were in London and I am sure each person had a few minutes to say something, even if it is the same thing. She loves horses, she has a smile that lights up her face. Her favorite place is Balmoral. She is supportive...etc
Old 03-29-2016, 08:20 PM
Courtier

Quote:
Originally Posted by HereditaryPrincess View Post
I watched the documentary and enjoyed it, even though I missed a little at the beginning. I was also surprised that Edward and Anne weren't interviewed, but it was nice to hear Catherine. I thought she sounded a little nervous in some places though (not a criticism, just an observation), but IIRC (please correct me if I'm wrong) this is the first time she's been interviewed for a documentary like this, so it's understandable.
I also liked seeing the old film footage of the RF. HM's children were adorable when they were little, and I've always thought that Anne looked a lot like Lady Louise. I particularly liked the clip of HM and Prince Philip visiting their old residence in Malta. I agree that it would have been nice to have some more unknown facts and information, but it was still very nice to hear her family talk about her.
She probably was a little nervous. But I also think her natural voice is earnest and somewhat quivering. It reminds me of Alicia Vikander's voice, similar earnest quality.
Old 03-29-2016, 10:56 PM
Heir Apparent

Wonderful documentary and great way they wove the old films into the new. Terrific to hear and see some in video who have marvelous voices and come across better in video; Camilla, Catherine, Sophie and Harry and Eugenie.
Seeing the behind the scenes and getting ready for the events from the participants' point of view was fantastic.
Lovely seeing the Queen so happy with her horses.
Old 03-30-2016, 11:36 AM
Nobility

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dman View Post
I didn't get the fuss over Catherine's voice either. She have been a little nervous, because she's not used to giving interviews like other members of the family, but she did very well. Sadly, the people on Twitter and DM made her contribution to the documentary about the sound of her voice rather than what she had to say.

I enjoyed her tribute to her grandmother-in-law.
I think...and I personally don't have a strong opinion about this, but I think people were surprised by the CHANGE in Catherine's accent. Maybe some have perceived that since her first interview after announcing the engagement her accent has become posher.
Old 03-30-2016, 11:39 AM
Nobility

On a different note. I watched the documentary that Prince Charles did for the Diamond Jubilee: fantastic! All those old photographs and family movies. Really priceless, and moving. If you haven't watched it and enjoyed The Queen at 90, I'm sure you'll appreciate it!
Old 04-01-2016, 05:58 PM
Heir Apparent

Everyone sounded like what I'd think they'd sound like except Sophie. Talking about accents, that is clearly not the accent Sophie grew up with. She sounded like she was auditioning for an extra aristocrat on Downton Abbey

Catherine sounds like any other posh girl from Marlborough College. She's always a little nervous in public but as miss whirley said her voice has an earnest quivering quality

It was a great documentary. Loved hearing from the younger royals.
Old 04-03-2016, 07:52 PM
Royal Highness

The programs has been removed.

Why is an ITV program removed from youtube by BBC?