The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Join The Royal Forums Today

Old 03-28-2016, 09:58 PM
Imperial Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lord_Royal View Post
It was a very well produced documentary.

Obviously, The Duchess of Cambridge's speaking voice, sounding so overly posh Princess Michael of Kent herself would have blushed, was what people were going to talk about. The Duke of Cambridge's 'been there, done that, bought the t shirt' comment was incredibly informal and I don't think it was quite the right note to hit. If anything, the emphasis on The Duke and Duchess of Cambridge in this documentary was done to grab attention rather than what they actually said. The Prince of Wales was incredibly relaxed.

The best interviewees were The Countess of Wessex, The Duke of York and Princess Beatrice - they offered the most affectionate insight. It would have been good to hear from The Princess Royal and The Earl of Wessex with the less visible royals like the Kents and Gloucesters.
I don't know what you're talking about; Catherine's interview gave great insight into her relationship with The Queen. Also, if it wasn't for this interview, we probably wouldn't never know some of Catherine's actual thoughts. William is usually the one that speaks most of the time.

It was rather shallow on how people focused on Catherine pronunciation and not on what was really important...her tribute to The Queen.

GENTLEMAN'S ESSENTIALS
Old 03-28-2016, 10:02 PM
Nobility

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dman View Post
Do he need the introduction
Ahah, maybe not!

Old 03-29-2016, 12:49 AM
Courtier

I just finished watching the documentary and really enjoyed it. All the family members came off well. I thought the York princesses were very sweet when talking about both their grandparents, and Eugenie, in particular, has a lovely speaking voice, (as do Charles and William).

I also liked Andrew's description of how his mother knows all the details about the lives of those around her. It makes me think The Queen's life isn't as isolated as is sometimes thought.. she obviously has her sources!
Old 03-29-2016, 07:20 AM
Heir Apparent

I watched the whole documentary via "Mediahh" application. I think it was a lovely tribute to the queen, but aside from the insights given by the members of the royal family, it didn't come off as news. I was expecting something else. I enjoyed the few private scenes with the Queen in them, though.
Old 03-29-2016, 07:40 AM
Serene Highness

I watched the entire show on You Tube and thoroughly enjoyed it. I thought it was rather odd that there wasn't even one sound bite from either Anne or Edward. The grandchildren all sounded as if they have a very close and strong relationship with both their grandparents. So glad that the often-maligned (at least on these boards) York family was given their more than fair share of air time. It's obvious that both grandparents are very special to them.

Sent from my iPhone using The Royals Community mobile app
Old 03-29-2016, 07:56 AM
Majesty

Location: On the west side of North up from Back, United States
Although, as has been stated a few times, there was nothing overly much new for us in the show, I can imagine that it was new to most non-avid royal watchers and they got a pretty up close and personal view of their Queen. That's what it was all about.

It also solved for many of us the age old problem of what to buy that certain person that seems to have everything. Make something. Make it personal. One thing struck me too about this documentary. With the millions of people that, over the years, have gleaned their royal information from rags like the DM, Sun, News of the World etc, they were able to see a pretty close and loving family rather than the spats and bickering that these publications like to make up.

One thing I'm looking forward to is that with the big birthday approaching, there is going to be quite a bit of focus on HM and her family and her reign. Lots of things to watch and see.
“When I was 5 years old, my mother always told me that happiness was the key to life. When I went to school, they asked me what I wanted to be when I grew up. I wrote down ‘happy’. They told me I didn’t understand the assignment, and I told them they didn’t understand life.”
― John Lennon
Old 03-29-2016, 10:41 AM
Nobility

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lord_Royal View Post
It was a very well produced documentary.

Obviously, The Duchess of Cambridge's speaking voice, sounding so overly posh Princess Michael of Kent herself would have blushed, was what people were going to talk about. The Duke of Cambridge's 'been there, done that, bought the t shirt' comment was incredibly informal and I don't think it was quite the right note to hit. .
I cringed when I heard the "t-shirt" comment... not once but twice...

I agree with the entirety of your post!
Old 03-29-2016, 10:54 AM
Imperial Majesty
Royal Blogger

I'm watching the programme now and I must say I'm surprised by The Duchess of Cambridge and The Countess of Wessexs' voices.
Old 03-29-2016, 12:08 PM
Royal Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by suztav View Post
I watched the entire show on You Tube and thoroughly enjoyed it. I thought it was rather odd that there wasn't even one sound bite from either Anne or Edward. The grandchildren all sounded as if they have a very close and strong relationship with both their grandparents. So glad that the often-maligned (at least on these boards) York family was given their more than fair share of air time. It's obvious that both grandparents are very special to them.
The combined aired time for Beatrice and Eugenie was less than 2 1/2 minutes combine.

William and Catherine was more than 10 1/2 minutes.

How is 1/5 considered more than their fair share?

They are the Queen's granddaughters and have known the Queen and Prince Philip all their lives.
They were raised near their grandparents.
Old 03-29-2016, 12:13 PM
Majesty

Location: On the west side of North up from Back, United States
Oh good gophers! Now quibbling over how much air time was given to family members. Next we'll be counting hairs out of place and who had the most and who had helmet hair.

I give up.
“When I was 5 years old, my mother always told me that happiness was the key to life. When I went to school, they asked me what I wanted to be when I grew up. I wrote down ‘happy’. They told me I didn’t understand the assignment, and I told them they didn’t understand life.”
― John Lennon
Old 03-29-2016, 12:20 PM
Royal Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by Osipi View Post
Oh good gophers! Now quibbling over how much air time was given to family members. Next we'll be counting hairs out of place and who had the most and who had helmet hair.

I give up.
Some people are claiming William barely spoke and some are complaining the Queen's granddaughters received too much air time.

Using numbers helps clear the matter.

One does not like false rumors starting that turn into legend as we all see on this site and on the internet. It is best to stop them before they occur.
Old 03-29-2016, 01:50 PM
Heir Presumptive
Royal Blogger

From Her Majesty's Jewel Vault: On "Our Queen at 90"

Nice little roundup including the bit showing my favourite picture of the informal private wedding one of the Queen and Zara

Sophie, Eugenie and Beatrice were the definite highlights in the documentary - the York princesses are so fond of both of the grandparents and showed such emotion talking about them its was very moving and touching

Old 03-29-2016, 02:06 PM
Imperial Majesty

The real highlight of the interviews was Catherine's interview, IMO. She was much more comfortable and relax in this interview than her own engagement interview.

GENTLEMAN'S ESSENTIALS
Old 03-29-2016, 03:21 PM
Serene Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by Queen Camilla View Post
The combined aired time for Beatrice and Eugenie was less than 2 1/2 minutes combine.

William and Catherine was more than 10 1/2 minutes.

How is 1/5 considered more than their fair share?

They are the Queen's granddaughters and have known the Queen and Prince Philip all their lives.
They were raised near their grandparents.
Well, that 1/5 is more than some people would have given them. Seriously, though .. they both sounded very close to their grandparents with a great amount of respect for their heritage. I was just so happy to see them included considering that some people are always so critical of of them.

You are correct ... it is very obvious that all the grandchildren have been raised near their grandparents.
Old 03-29-2016, 03:24 PM
Heir Apparent
Royal Blogger

I watched the documentary and enjoyed it, even though I missed a little at the beginning. I was also surprised that Edward and Anne weren't interviewed, but it was nice to hear Catherine. I thought she sounded a little nervous in some places though (not a criticism, just an observation), but IIRC (please correct me if I'm wrong) this is the first time she's been interviewed for a documentary like this, so it's understandable.
I also liked seeing the old film footage of the RF. HM's children were adorable when they were little, and I've always thought that Anne looked a lot like Lady Louise. I particularly liked the clip of HM and Prince Philip visiting their old residence in Malta. I agree that it would have been nice to have some more unknown facts and information, but it was still very nice to hear her family talk about her.

"Think of all the beauty still left around you and be happy". Anne Frank
Old 03-29-2016, 04:09 PM
Royal Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by HereditaryPrincess View Post
I watched the documentary and enjoyed it, even though I missed a little at the beginning. I was also surprised that Edward and Anne weren't interviewed, but it was nice to hear Catherine. I thought she sounded a little nervous in some places though (not a criticism, just an observation), but IIRC (please correct me if I'm wrong) this is the first time she's been interviewed for a documentary like this, so it's understandable.
I also liked seeing the old film footage of the RF. HM's children were adorable when they were little, and I've always thought that Anne looked a lot like Lady Louise. I particularly liked the clip of HM and Prince Philip visiting their old residence in Malta. I agree that it would have been nice to have some more unknown facts and information, but it was still very nice to hear her family talk about her.

I don't get the fuss about Catherine's English accent. What is supposed to be wrong with it ?
Old 03-29-2016, 04:16 PM
Imperial Majesty
TRF Author

Did Philip decline to take part in the documentary? I find it very very odd that he of all family members is not included, given the relationship that they have.
Old 03-29-2016, 04:20 PM
Heir Apparent
Royal Blogger

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mbruno View Post
I don't get the fuss about Catherine's English accent. What is supposed to be wrong with it ?

I didn't say there was anything wrong with it, all I said was that in my personal opinion, she sounded nervous, that doesn't have much to do with her accent at all. And I also said that I wasn't criticising Catherine and that I was just observing.

I personally like Catherine's voice, although I get the impression that some people think it's a little forced (to answer your question incase you weren't referring to my comment).

"Think of all the beauty still left around you and be happy". Anne Frank
Old 03-29-2016, 04:23 PM
Imperial Majesty
TRF Author

another thing that came to my mind: Beckham just wants that Knighthood so badly!
Old 03-29-2016, 04:25 PM
Royal Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by HereditaryPrincess View Post
I didn't say there was anything wrong with it, all I said was that in my personal opinion, she sounded nervous, that doesn't have much to do with her accent at all. And I also said that I wasn't criticising Catherine and that I was just observing.

I personally like Catherine's voice, although I get the impression that some people think it's a little forced (to answer your question incase you weren't referring to my comment).

I was not referring to your point specifically, but rather to other people's comments that Catherine sounded "overly posh". I didn't get that impression myself.