The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Join The Royal Forums Today

Old 03-28-2016, 08:54 AM
Nobility

Quote:
Originally Posted by Queen Camilla View Post
Thanks for posting.

I think it was edited to showcase William and Catherine.
I was a bit disappointed. They should have focused more on the Queen.

Princess Anne & Prince Edward were not included. I have a hard time believing that both chose not to participate. I tend to think that their comments were not included in the broadcast.

I enjoyed Beatrice's comments, Camilla's comments and Andrew's.

The television crew did not even bother to allow Charles or Camilla to sit down. That says alot about the type of interview and the amount of time the crew was willing to invest in interviewing Charles or Camilla. One has to wonder how they treated Anne or Edward that they ended up on the cutting room floor.
Why must you insist in seeing in everything slights upon Charles and Camilla (whom I personally admire very much lest you accuse me of being anti-C&C), no doubt at the request of the dastardly duo - William and Kate?

I'm utterly confused as to how you could possibly say this has been "edited to showcase William and Catherine". They didn't seem to get any more time than Beatrice/Eugenie or Harry. In fact, I can remember thinking at one point that William hadn't been in it a whole lot.

Charles and Camilla appeared to be either on their way to or just returned from something else. I don't think Camilla fancied a sit-down interview given she's literally never done one. Had she wanted to give a full interview I'm sure the producers would have tripped over themselves for the exclusive opportunity. Charles was in full dress uniform and didn't seem terribly interested.

This documentary comes just 4 years after Charles was given the opportunity to do an entire documentary by himself about his mother. Anne and Edward have previously spoken many times about their mother. Nothing was lost in their absence.

Old 03-28-2016, 09:10 AM
Heir Apparent

Our Queen at 90

There was definitely more Harry then William in the doc. In the addition to the interview, it showed Harry in SA and the rugby reception at the palace.

Nothing that was said by the family was really ground breaking or too personal. You didn't really learn anything about Elizabeth the person. I thought some of better insight came from regular people interviewed such as the VC medal winner, volunteer lady attending a garden party, etc.

Sent from my iPhone using The Royals Community

Old 03-28-2016, 09:19 AM
Imperial Majesty

Well, we at least got to hear Catherine's feelings about The Queen and got a little insight on their relationship. While folks on Twitter and the media focused too much attention to her pronunciation, I was happy on how open Catherine was in the interview. She come across as very honest.

GENTLEMAN'S ESSENTIALS
Old 03-28-2016, 09:22 AM
Nobility

Quote:
Originally Posted by ROYAL NORWAY View Post
Watch it now before youtube/ITV removes it.
Thank you so much! It was fabulous! I agree, I wish there was a bit more from the Queen's children.

Personally, the most moving moment for me was hearing the Queen's radio speech in 1940 during the Children's Hour at 14.

What a great inspiration she is: duty, service, a strong marriage, values, style, love for her country. I wish she really were THE BOSS as Prince Harry says. The world and the UK would be better off in my humble opinion.

Cameron ("I discovered one country which I visited and she didn't") and Obama succeeded in making their contribution about themselves. The latter more than the former (I'm the first US President...Michelle and I...the girls' private tour...Sacha's birthday...what??). Classless.

Old 03-28-2016, 09:32 AM
Heir Presumptive

I really enjoyed the variety of this documentary and to hear the contributions of various members of the royal family. I think the emphasis on many of the younger members of the family was done with an eye on popular appeal. Just as Kate/Harry sell magazines so the audience ratings will have benefited from their regular presence in the programme. There must be plenty of unused footage that didn't make it through to the final edit partly because the programme had a story to tell and there is likely to have been a repetitious nature to some of the family comments ( how many times did we hear references to HM's smile for example even with a final edit).
I do agree that to have no comments from two of her children did seem a little odd given that Sophie and Peter did take part, so it leads me to think that the interviews were conducted in a pretty narrow time frame when Edward & Anne were unavailable.
If I could add to a wish list of possible interviewees , I would have loved to hear from Princess Alexandra who is rarely seen and heard these days.
Old 03-28-2016, 10:52 AM
Serene Highness

Maybe Anne and Edward didn't want to participate or have/are planning to contribute to something else later on, maybe a BBC documentary or similar, they've given interviews for other documentaries in the past so I can't see them being opposed to doing it now. Given that ITV publicised it as 'the most royals contributing to one documentary' I suspect even if Anne and Edward didn't say anything 'interesting' the producers would have kept them in just to bump up the numbers.
Old 03-28-2016, 11:14 AM
Heir Apparent

It also could be that Anne & Edward weren't available in the couple of days that they were doing the interviews. Kate's interview she said George was 2 1/2. That's late January. So her's wasn't filmed earlier say Sept or Oct. Harry's was probably done the same day as Kate at KP, the same with Charles & Camilla. Anne was in the South Atlantic in January so maybe that's why she wasn't in it. Zara was in Australia then too.

Old 03-28-2016, 11:30 AM
Heir Presumptive

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skippyboo View Post
There was definitely more Harry then William in the doc. In the addition to the interview, it showed Harry in SA and the rugby reception at the palace.

Nothing that was said by the family was really ground breaking or too personal. You didn't really learn anything about Elizabeth the person. I thought some of better insight came from regular people interviewed such as the VC medal winner, volunteer lady attending a garden party, etc.

I agree that Harry was very well represented in the documentary and that it was not a ground breaking one. You've mentioned my favorite moments with the VC recipient and the volunteers who work at so many events. It was IMO a lovely tribute to the Queen.
Old 03-28-2016, 12:27 PM
Nobility

I found it a bit odd that the Duchess of Cambridge was referred to as Britain's future Queen but Prince Charles wasn't introduced as Britain's future monarch.
Old 03-28-2016, 12:46 PM
Imperial Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by Juliette2 View Post
I found it a bit odd that the Duchess of Cambridge was referred to as Britain's future Queen but Prince Charles wasn't introduced as Britain's future monarch.
Do he need the introduction

GENTLEMAN'S ESSENTIALS
Old 03-28-2016, 12:55 PM
Heir Apparent

Our Queen at 90

In the context of the documentary, it was the older Queen making a new member of the family feel comfortable. Right before it if I remember correctly, was the Diplomatic reception and William. Charles is the most experienced PoW in history. He doesn't need to learn the Royal ropes or get to know the various countries like W&K would.

Old 03-28-2016, 03:15 PM
Heir Apparent

The Queen At 90 had positive response on Twitter as viewers loved hilarious cushion | Daily Mail Online
Old 03-28-2016, 03:45 PM
Royal Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by Duc_et_Pair View Post
Terrorist threats? Brexit? Immigrants in camps hopelessly trying to reach Britain? Scottish separatism flaring up again? Widening gap between the haves and the have-nots in society? The Chancellor presenting his Budget: an empty red box? The NHS on the verge of a system breakdown?

You sound like King George V. No matter the drama in his country. He would write little else than: "Edinburgh. I wore my blue Field Marshal's uniform and was received by the Lord Marshal. Bed at 11.30".

Every major country faces terrorist threats - That's not turmoil. And when it comes to isis: They're losing key leaders, they're losing territory, and they're losing resources.

We can and will defeat ISIS.

Immigrants in camps hopelessly trying to reach Britain? This is a challenge that every major country faces.

Brexit and Scottish separatism flaring up again? That's not turmoil.

Widening gap between the haves and the have-nots in society? This is a big challenge that many countries faces, but there are more people/politicians that work for the weak in society than ever before.

The NHS on the verge of a system breakdown? At least the UK have a NHS, but I don't want to discuss this here, and it's have nothing to do with a documentary who is made to celebrate a 90 year old constitutional monarch. And I don't thinks I sound like King George V, and as I said to you after you criticized my signature, you should try to be more polite.

The UK is a great country with a great future and is set to overtake Germany and have the biggest economy in Western Europe within two decades, according to several experts. We have many reasons to be proud of the UK, and I am proud to be half-British.
Old 03-28-2016, 04:50 PM
Courtier

Quote:
Originally Posted by ROYAL NORWAY View Post
The UK is a great country with a great future and is set to overtake Germany and have the biggest economy in Western Europe within two decades, according to several experts. We have many reasons to be proud of the UK, and I am proud to be half-British.
mhh your glassball must be much better than my one, that you can look that far and clear into our future
Old 03-28-2016, 04:58 PM
Royal Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by PetticoatLane View Post
Why must you insist in seeing in everything slights upon Charles and Camilla ...

Quote:
I'm utterly confused as to how you could possibly say this has been "edited to showcase William and Catherine".
All television programs are edited.

Quote:
Charles and Camilla appeared to be either on their way to or just returned from something else.
Exactly why was there poor planning on the part of the television crew.

The program was billed as the people who know the Queen the best.

I think the order of people who know the Queen the best would be somewhat in this order:
Prince Philip (not featured)
Margaret Rhodes (only briefly)
Princess Alexandra (not featured)
Prince Charles (only briefly)
Princess Anne (not featured) The Queen's only daughter.
The Duke of Kent (not featured)
The Duke of Gloucester (not featured)
Prince Andrew (featured briefly)
Prince Edward (not featured)
The Duchess of Kent (not featured)
The Duchess of Gloucester (not featured)
The Duchess of Cornwall (only briefly)
Peter Philips (only briefly)
Zara Philips (not featured)
William (highly featured)
Harry (featured)
Beatrice (featured who talked about both the Queen & Prince Philip)
Eugenie (featured)
Timothy (not featured)
Sophie (featured)
Catherine (highly featured)

Dman, I think Charles & Camilla's comments were recorded in 2015. I think Camilla's bit was recorded on March 10, 2015.

Old 03-28-2016, 06:40 PM
Royal Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nice Nofret View Post
mhh your glassball must be much better than my one, that you can look that far and clear into our future
I don't understand you respond to my post. This haven't anything to do with glassballs or me looking that far and clear into our future. If you read my post properly you will see that I wrote ''according to experts'' and the UK has already overtaken France to become the second biggest economy in Europe. I've sent links to you on PM.

This thread is about Our Queen at 90, so this will be the last I will say on this subject.
Old 03-28-2016, 07:32 PM
Serene Highness

I think ITV and/or the production company probably thought it would get more publicity if it featured the 'younger' royals. If you look in any newspaper or on any media website you are more likely to find them featuring Catherine, Harry, William, Beatrice, Eugenie rather than Philip, Margaret Rhodes, Anne, Edward, Andrew, Sophie or Princess Alexandra. Whilst I wouldn't disagree with those who say the latter names know HM better they are less likely to attract interest in the documentary from the wider public (except royal watchers like people on here of course).

In all it was a nice documentary to watch over the long Easter weekend but it didn't really show us anything new. It was nice hearing the Queen's family talk about her but this isn't new either (with the exception of Catherine and Camilla).
Old 03-28-2016, 07:55 PM
Imperial Majesty

I think Catherine and Camilla's interview were very good. I still think it wouldn't hurt none for both women give another interview focusing on their causes. It would benefit them, their charities, and would be very good PR too.

I really enjoyed Beatrice's interview though. She comes across very sweet and relaxed.

GENTLEMAN'S ESSENTIALS
Old 03-28-2016, 08:50 PM
Heir Apparent

From Twitterland, Mark Cuthburt, Mark Stewart, James Whatling and Tom Rooke all had cameos in Our Queen at 90. How fitting!

https://twitter.com/RegalEyes/status/714560974536060928
Old 03-28-2016, 09:27 PM
Aristocracy

It was a very well produced documentary.

Obviously, The Duchess of Cambridge's speaking voice, sounding so overly posh Princess Michael of Kent herself would have blushed, was what people were going to talk about. The Duke of Cambridge's 'been there, done that, bought the t shirt' comment was incredibly informal and I don't think it was quite the right note to hit. If anything, the emphasis on The Duke and Duchess of Cambridge in this documentary was done to grab attention rather than what they actually said. The Prince of Wales was incredibly relaxed.

The best interviewees were The Countess of Wessex, The Duke of York and Princess Beatrice - they offered the most affectionate insight. It would have been good to hear from The Princess Royal and The Earl of Wessex with the less visible royals like the Kents and Gloucesters.