"Our Queen at 90" (2016) - ITV Documentary on Queen Elizabeth II

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I just finished watching the documentary and really enjoyed it. All the family members came off well. I thought the York princesses were very sweet when talking about both their grandparents, and Eugenie, in particular, has a lovely speaking voice, (as do Charles and William).

I also liked Andrew's description of how his mother knows all the details about the lives of those around her. It makes me think The Queen's life isn't as isolated as is sometimes thought.. she obviously has her sources!

I watched the whole documentary via "Mediahh" application. I think it was a lovely tribute to the queen, but aside from the insights given by the members of the royal family, it didn't come off as news. I was expecting something else. I enjoyed the few private scenes with the Queen in them, though.

I watched the entire show on You Tube and thoroughly enjoyed it. I thought it was rather odd that there wasn't even one sound bite from either Anne or Edward. The grandchildren all sounded as if they have a very close and strong relationship with both their grandparents. So glad that the often-maligned (at least on these boards) York family was given their more than fair share of air time. It's obvious that both grandparents are very special to them.

Sent from my iPhone using The Royals Community mobile app

Although, as has been stated a few times, there was nothing overly much new for us in the show, I can imagine that it was new to most non-avid royal watchers and they got a pretty up close and personal view of their Queen. That's what it was all about.

It also solved for many of us the age old problem of what to buy that certain person that seems to have everything. Make something. Make it personal. One thing struck me too about this documentary. With the millions of people that, over the years, have gleaned their royal information from rags like the DM, Sun, News of the World etc, they were able to see a pretty close and loving family rather than the spats and bickering that these publications like to make up.

One thing I'm looking forward to is that with the big birthday approaching, there is going to be quite a bit of focus on HM and her family and her reign. Lots of things to watch and see.

It was a very well produced documentary.

Obviously, The Duchess of Cambridge's speaking voice, sounding so overly posh Princess Michael of Kent herself would have blushed, was what people were going to talk about. The Duke of Cambridge's 'been there, done that, bought the t shirt' comment was incredibly informal and I don't think it was quite the right note to hit. .

I cringed when I heard the "t-shirt" comment...:sad: not once but twice...

I agree with the entirety of your post! :flowers:

I'm watching the programme now and I must say I'm surprised by The Duchess of Cambridge and The Countess of Wessexs' voices.

I watched the entire show on You Tube and thoroughly enjoyed it. I thought it was rather odd that there wasn't even one sound bite from either Anne or Edward. The grandchildren all sounded as if they have a very close and strong relationship with both their grandparents. So glad that the often-maligned (at least on these boards) York family was given their more than fair share of air time. It's obvious that both grandparents are very special to them.

The combined aired time for Beatrice and Eugenie was less than 2 1/2 minutes combine.

William and Catherine was more than 10 1/2 minutes.

How is 1/5 considered more than their fair share?

They are the Queen's granddaughters and have known the Queen and Prince Philip all their lives.
They were raised near their grandparents.

Oh good gophers! Now quibbling over how much air time was given to family members. Next we'll be counting hairs out of place and who had the most and who had helmet hair.

I give up.

Oh good gophers! Now quibbling over how much air time was given to family members. Next we'll be counting hairs out of place and who had the most and who had helmet hair.

I give up.

Some people are claiming William barely spoke and some are complaining the Queen's granddaughters received too much air time.

Using numbers helps clear the matter.

One does not like false rumors starting that turn into legend as we all see on this site and on the internet. It is best to stop them before they occur.

From Her Majesty's Jewel Vault: On "Our Queen at 90"

Nice little roundup including the bit showing my favourite picture of the informal private wedding one of the Queen and Zara

Sophie, Eugenie and Beatrice were the definite highlights in the documentary - the York princesses are so fond of both of the grandparents and showed such emotion talking about them its was very moving and touching

The real highlight of the interviews was Catherine's interview, IMO. She was much more comfortable and relax in this interview than her own engagement interview.

The combined aired time for Beatrice and Eugenie was less than 2 1/2 minutes combine.

William and Catherine was more than 10 1/2 minutes.

How is 1/5 considered more than their fair share?

They are the Queen's granddaughters and have known the Queen and Prince Philip all their lives.
They were raised near their grandparents.

Well, that 1/5 is more than some people would have given them. Seriously, though .. they both sounded very close to their grandparents with a great amount of respect for their heritage. I was just so happy to see them included considering that some people are always so critical of of them.

You are correct ... it is very obvious that all the grandchildren have been raised near their grandparents.

I watched the documentary and enjoyed it, even though I missed a little at the beginning. I was also surprised that Edward and Anne weren't interviewed, but it was nice to hear Catherine. I thought she sounded a little nervous in some places though (not a criticism, just an observation), but IIRC (please correct me if I'm wrong) this is the first time she's been interviewed for a documentary like this, so it's understandable.
I also liked seeing the old film footage of the RF. HM's children were adorable when they were little, and I've always thought that Anne looked a lot like Lady Louise. I particularly liked the clip of HM and Prince Philip visiting their old residence in Malta. I agree that it would have been nice to have some more unknown facts and information, but it was still very nice to hear her family talk about her.

I watched the documentary and enjoyed it, even though I missed a little at the beginning. I was also surprised that Edward and Anne weren't interviewed, but it was nice to hear Catherine. I thought she sounded a little nervous in some places though (not a criticism, just an observation), but IIRC (please correct me if I'm wrong) this is the first time she's been interviewed for a documentary like this, so it's understandable.
I also liked seeing the old film footage of the RF. HM's children were adorable when they were little, and I've always thought that Anne looked a lot like Lady Louise. I particularly liked the clip of HM and Prince Philip visiting their old residence in Malta. I agree that it would have been nice to have some more unknown facts and information, but it was still very nice to hear her family talk about her.

I don't get the fuss about Catherine's English accent. What is supposed to be wrong with it ?

Did Philip decline to take part in the documentary? I find it very very odd that he of all family members is not included, given the relationship that they have.

I don't get the fuss about Catherine's English accent. What is supposed to be wrong with it ?

I didn't say there was anything wrong with it, all I said was that in my personal opinion, she sounded nervous, that doesn't have much to do with her accent at all. And I also said that I wasn't criticising Catherine and that I was just observing.

I personally like Catherine's voice, although I get the impression that some people think it's a little forced (to answer your question incase you weren't referring to my comment).

another thing that came to my mind: Beckham just wants that Knighthood so badly!

I didn't say there was anything wrong with it, all I said was that in my personal opinion, she sounded nervous, that doesn't have much to do with her accent at all. And I also said that I wasn't criticising Catherine and that I was just observing.

I personally like Catherine's voice, although I get the impression that some people think it's a little forced (to answer your question incase you weren't referring to my comment).

I was not referring to your point specifically, but rather to other people's comments that Catherine sounded "overly posh". I didn't get that impression myself.

Last edited:
I was not referring to your point specifcally, but rather to other people's comments that Catherine sounded "overly posh". I didn't get that impression myself.

Thank you for clearing that up. I just got confused a little since you had quoted my post.

I thought Catherine sounded like most of the people in her circle I've heard speak. It's not like she met William while waiting tables in Liverpool.....she was raised going to private schools.

LaRae

Did Philip decline to take part in the documentary? I find it very very odd that he of all family members is not included, given the relationship that they have.

I don't think Philip is the type to sit and talk warmly about anyone, not even his wife. He did not do it during her 80th birthday or during the Diamond Jubilee.

another thing that came to my mind: Beckham just wants that Knighthood so badly!

People can talk warmly about an iconic monarch who turns 90, have been on the throne for 64 years and who has devoted her life to the UK and the Commonwealth without having motives. And it's not the Queen who decides if he gets a Knighthood or not.

Last edited:
Philip did an interview with Fiona Bruce I think for his 90th birthday. I think it's called Philip at 90.

Sent from my iPhone using The Royals Community

I didn't get the fuss over Catherine's voice either. She have been a little nervous, because she's not used to giving interviews like other members of the family, but she did very well. Sadly, the people on Twitter and DM made her contribution to the documentary about the sound of her voice rather than what she had to say.

I enjoyed her tribute to her grandmother-in-law.

Philip did an interview with Fiona Bruce I think for his 90th birthday. I think it's called Philip at 90.

Sent from my iPhone using The Royals Community

Yes I know, and the interview was part of the BBC documentary The Duke at 90. He also did an interview in the ITV documentary Prince Philip at 90, but that was to talk about him self.

It was surprising Philip, Anne and Edward wasn't part of the documentary. Perhaps they're paying tribute in another project, but you would expect to hear from in this doc.

No one knows if Philip participated and his comments ended up on the cutting room floor or if the television crew failed to included him. (Same for Anne & Edward.)

They seem to want to tell a story and the quotes that fit the story were included in the program.

The program wanted to showcase Catherine and William and so they included more quotes from them than anyone other person.

Catherine said she was told she talks too much and it was evident in the documentary.
She is clearly a chatterbox but as a member of the BRF she needs to check herself. I think she may have been trying to do just that and to some people she appeared spaced out. I think she was just trying not to ramble on.

The only comment of Catherine that I found fault with was:
"George is only two and a half and he calls her Gan-Gan."
This came across as arrogant.

She should have said, 'Like all the Queen's great grandchildren George at two and half calls her Gan-Gan.'

The Queen's grandchildren call her 'granny' and Philip 'grandpa'. They referred to their great grandmother (QEQM) as 'Gan-Gan', so it was a safe assumption that Queen Elizabeth II's great grandchildren also refer to her as 'Gan-Gan'.

I think this program was just fine.
The focus was obviously on the young generation, and why not? Some of these young members had to struggle with the bad press lately and it was nice to hear them for a change. For exemple i discovered the York sisters and found them quite lively and natural! Nothing new from William and Harry and i must admit that i found Catherine a bit posh or trying too hard .
Charles opened and closed the program, which is nice. I liked Camilla and Sophie, we don't hear from them very often ...
Overall it was just fine, just nothing special and like many many other programs about the BRF.
"Monarchy : the royal family at work" was far better imo.

Last edited:
No one knows if Philip participated and his comments ended up on the cutting room floor or if the television crew failed to included him. (Same for Anne & Edward.)

They seem to want to tell a story and the quotes that fit the story were included in the program.

The program wanted to showcase Catherine and William and so they included more quotes from them than anyone other person.

Catherine said she was told she talks too much and it was evident in the documentary.
She is clearly a chatterbox but as a member of the BRF she needs to check herself. I think she may have been trying to do just that and to some people she appeared spaced out. I think she was just trying not to ramble on.

She should have said, 'Like all the Queen's great grandchildren George at two and half calls her Gan-Gan.'

The Queen's grandchildren call her 'granny' and Philip 'grandpa'. They referred to their great grandmother (QEQM) as 'Gan-Gan', so it was a safe assumption that Queen Elizabeth II's great grandchildren also refer to her as 'Gan-Gan'.

I think it's great that Catherine takes a little more time to chat to people. She have something in common with Prince Philip in the chatting department. He is famously known to chat a little too long, and sometimes make The Queen wait for him. It's better to chat and say something meaningful, rather than say two words and move on. It's an art, but I think she's just fine.

I doubt Philip, Anne and Edward would be cut. If they were interviewed, they would have found a way to fit it in. The interviewers controlled the questions so if they wanted the parts to fit a certain story, they could lead the interview in that direction. I don't see the film crew deciding to cut the queen's husband from her tribute if he had actually sat down to interview.

As for Kate, it was a comment on his age. If George was a bit older and speaking better, he would call her Gran Gran (with the r). But at 2 he likely cant pronounce the r sound. He likely calls Carole Ganny. Mia and George both likely have the same issue. Isla and Savannah should be old enough to call her Gran Gran (and we don't know if all the kids use the sam term, they may not) and Charlotte is too young to call her anyting.

Back
Top Bottom