"Our Queen at 90" (2016) - ITV Documentary on Queen Elizabeth II

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I doubt anyone was cut, ITV seemed happy to advertise it as a documentary with a record number of royals contributing. I imagine the producers would have found a way to keep Anne and Edward and Philip in even if just for a soundbite or two.

I suspect diary commitments meant Anne and Edward couldn't contribute or they have plans to do so to another program for the Queen's 90th.

I wonder if Philip being Philip, and being from a different generation, may have found it quite difficult or awkward talking at length about the Queen, his wife. The Queen didn't contribute to the programs surrounding Philips's 90th celebrations. I get the feeling its just not what they do.

I doubt Philip, Anne and Edward would be cut. If they were interviewed, they would have found a way to fit it in. The interviewers controlled the questions so if they wanted the parts to fit a certain story, they could lead the interview in that direction. I don't see the film crew deciding to cut the queen's husband from her tribute if he had actually sat down to interview.

As for Kate, it was a comment on his age. If George was a bit older and speaking better, he would call her Gran Gran (with the r). But at 2 he likely cant pronounce the r sound. He likely calls Carole Ganny. Mia and George both likely have the same issue. Isla and Savannah should be old enough to call her Gran Gran (and we don't know if all the kids use the sam term, they may not) and Charlotte is too young to call her anyting.

No I think Gan-Gan is what they call the greatgrandmother. IIRC, in a previous documentary, I believe it was Beatrice who said they refer to the Queen Mother as Gan-Gan. Beatrice was an adult.

I doubt anyone was cut, ITV seemed happy to advertise it as a documentary with a record number of royals contributing. I imagine the producers would have found a way to keep Anne and Edward and Philip in even if just for a soundbite or two.

I suspect diary commitments meant Anne and Edward couldn't contribute or they have plans to do so to another program for the Queen's 90th.

There was plenty of time to get everyone included in the film as it was filmed throughout the year.

Charles and Camilla were filmed at Clarence House both on days when they clearly had other engagements. They probably filmed everyone in London.

Check the CC and see what days people were in London and I am sure each person had a few minutes to say something, even if it is the same thing. She loves horses, she has a smile that lights up her face. Her favorite place is Balmoral. She is supportive...etc

Last edited:
I watched the documentary and enjoyed it, even though I missed a little at the beginning. I was also surprised that Edward and Anne weren't interviewed, but it was nice to hear Catherine. I thought she sounded a little nervous in some places though (not a criticism, just an observation), but IIRC (please correct me if I'm wrong) this is the first time she's been interviewed for a documentary like this, so it's understandable.
I also liked seeing the old film footage of the RF. HM's children were adorable when they were little, and I've always thought that Anne looked a lot like Lady Louise. I particularly liked the clip of HM and Prince Philip visiting their old residence in Malta. I agree that it would have been nice to have some more unknown facts and information, but it was still very nice to hear her family talk about her.

She probably was a little nervous. But I also think her natural voice is earnest and somewhat quivering. It reminds me of Alicia Vikander's voice, similar earnest quality.

Wonderful documentary and great way they wove the old films into the new. Terrific to hear and see some in video who have marvelous voices and come across better in video; Camilla, Catherine, Sophie and Harry and Eugenie.
Seeing the behind the scenes and getting ready for the events from the participants' point of view was fantastic.
Lovely seeing the Queen so happy with her horses.

I didn't get the fuss over Catherine's voice either. She have been a little nervous, because she's not used to giving interviews like other members of the family, but she did very well. Sadly, the people on Twitter and DM made her contribution to the documentary about the sound of her voice rather than what she had to say.

I enjoyed her tribute to her grandmother-in-law.

I think...and I personally don't have a strong opinion about this, but I think people were surprised by the CHANGE in Catherine's accent. Maybe some have perceived that since her first interview after announcing the engagement her accent has become posher. :)

On a different note. I watched the documentary that Prince Charles did for the Diamond Jubilee: fantastic! All those old photographs and family movies. Really priceless, and moving. If you haven't watched it and enjoyed The Queen at 90, I'm sure you'll appreciate it! https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z79TrhSzMXA

Everyone sounded like what I'd think they'd sound like except Sophie. Talking about accents, that is clearly not the accent Sophie grew up with. She sounded like she was auditioning for an extra aristocrat on Downton Abbey

Catherine sounds like any other posh girl from Marlborough College. She's always a little nervous in public but as miss whirley said her voice has an earnest quivering quality

It was a great documentary. Loved hearing from the younger royals.

The programs has been removed.

Why is an ITV program removed from youtube by BBC?

Back
Top Bottom