The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Join The Royal Forums Today

Old 01-14-2019, 08:14 PM
Imperial Majesty

Other Historical Royal Movies and Series

How about a major motion picture on Nefertiti, Cleopatra (the real Cleopatra, not the Elizabeth Taylor version), Hatshepsut, Lili’uokalani or the real King Solomon? I mean, Hollywood have start thinking outside the box instead of just making movies about the British royals.

The history and stories on other royal historical figures will blow your mind. Somebody in Hollywood just have to have the guts and determination to bring them to the big screen.

A.W. TOZER
Old 01-14-2019, 08:51 PM
Royal Highness

Well Dman this is one subject we can agree on. There is sooooo many interesting royal families in the ancient world that have gone unnoticed by Hollywood and the entire industry. One show on TV that I am really enjoying is the History Channel called *The Vikings*. I am not sure of how correct the show is in regards to the history yet some of those customs and how the people actually lived are damn hard on them. I am not sure I would survive those conditions at all as I like my comforts, flushing toilets and hot running water I could not do without, or my fridge. How they cook their food back then and bathing is almost unheard of.....

Hatsheput is one extremely interesting woman in Ancient Egypt as is Nefertari. not so much Nefertiti and Tomyris who ruled over an tribe of the Iranian people. So many who would spark up the interest in the study of the Ancient world and the people that lived then. This I believe could increase the desire for education of archeologists, museums, anthropologists, so many fields of study that could help us today to understand their world so we can make ours work better. Thanks for a great comment......

Old 01-14-2019, 10:02 PM
Imperial Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by M. Payton View Post

Well Dman this is one subject we can agree on. There is sooooo many interesting royal families in the ancient world that have gone unnoticed by Hollywood and the entire industry. One show on TV that I am really enjoying is the History Channel called *The Vikings*. I am not sure of how correct the show is in regards to the history yet some of those customs and how the people actually lived are damn hard on them. I am not sure I would survive those conditions at all as I like my comforts, flushing toilets and hot running water I could not do without, or my fridge. How they cook their food back then and bathing is almost unheard of.....

Hatsheput is one extremely interesting woman in Ancient Egypt as is Nefertari. not so much Nefertiti and Tomyris who ruled over an tribe of the Iranian people. So many who would spark up the interest in the study of the Ancient world and the people that lived then. This I believe could increase the desire for education of archeologists, museums, anthropologists, so many fields of study that could help us today to understand their world so we can make ours work better. Thanks for a great comment......
Yeah, I watch Vikings too. I’m totally addicted to it.

I just wish Hollywood was willing to tell the stories of other royal dynasties. The British royals are nice - I’m not saying ‘The Favorite’ isn’t good - but, I would like other royals brought to the big screen. A multi-cultural audience would flock to the movies to see it. Enough with targeting just one audience. Let’s dig deeper into our ancestral history and let’s bring those ancient rulers back to life again.

A.W. TOZER
Old 01-14-2019, 10:55 PM
Royal Highness

I also am addicted to the Vikings, love Ragnar and wish he was not killed off. Boy that time period was cruel and down right scary to live in, and can you believe how he was killed off and the savage way in the 2nd season of killing that man with swords chopping off parts of his body little at a time........and with Flokie off with that group in Iceland I believe, how they survived even one week is amazing. I like Bjorn and wonder what is next for him and Ivar is a sociopath out of control right now......he is pure evil.

Your so right, so much and so many interesting royal families out there that could be put on the big screen and the interest would so spark the minds of the young today off tech toys and social media which is so bad for them. I love your thinking on this...way to go from your lips to the ears of Hollywood!
Old 01-16-2019, 04:43 AM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dman View Post
How about a major motion picture on Nefertiti, Cleopatra (the real Cleopatra, not the Elizabeth Taylor version)

Cleopatra has also been seen extensively on film and TV, most recently on HBO's Rome.
Old 01-16-2019, 04:46 AM
Majesty

I preferred more Leonor Varela as Cleopatra.
Old 01-16-2019, 06:02 AM
Heir Presumptive

Quote:
How about a major motion picture on Nefertiti, Cleopatra (the real Cleopatra, not the Elizabeth Taylor version), Hatshepsut, Lili’uokalani or the real King Solomon? I mean, Hollywood have start thinking outside the box instead of just making movies about the British royals.
A film about Cleopatra is allegedly in the works with Lady Gaga and Angelina Jolie said to be fighting for the lead role.
This rumour has already exploded all over social media with many African Americans demanding an African Cleopatra since they believe that as an Egyptian she was dark-skinned. They have in turn been challenged by others, both Caucasians and African Americans, of the opinion that as a member of the Ptolemaic dynasty Cleopatra, with one Persian ancestor as an exception, was of pure Greek/Macedonian descent.
If they eventually start filming I predict a very heated debate whoever they choose to cast in the main roles.
Old 01-16-2019, 09:54 AM
Royal Highness

I do agree with those wanting better movies about different royals but Hollywood and studios elsewhere look to the money. Money is made now catering to the younger set with maybe one or two "odd" stories thrown in yearly. To get these studios to produce films costing hundreds of millions of dollars and not getting a 1000% profit will really be hard when one fast moving adventure will do the trick especially if the cast features the current idol of the youth. Plus, the modern of today isn't into history and could give a dot about royals. Not even taught in many schools systems anymore like we had it pushed down our throats while memorizing names and dates. It all boils down to money as in any entertainment industry. Right now Hollywood is trying different things as their industry has really dropped dramatically since the 1990s. The average person no longer attends the movies weekly as in years gone by. They don't even sit and watch all the award shows with bated breath like in my youth. Also, Pay-per-View on your TVs now offer the movie, much cheaper and in the comfort of your own home. I believe it is all do to the changing times and life style of the world today. JMO
Old 01-16-2019, 10:09 AM
Imperial Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by JR76 View Post
A film about Cleopatra is allegedly in the works with Lady Gaga and Angelina Jolie said to be fighting for the lead role.
This rumour has already exploded all over social media with many African Americans demanding an African Cleopatra since they believe that as an Egyptian she was dark-skinned. They have in turn been challenged by others, both Caucasians and African Americans, of the opinion that as a member of the Ptolemaic dynasty Cleopatra, with one Persian ancestor as an exception, was of pure Greek/Macedonian descent.
If they eventually start filming I predict a very heated debate whoever they choose to cast in the main roles.
I know. I hope any film on Cleopatra isn’t screwed up with casting. Be true to who she really was - a woman of color.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Winnie View Post
I do agree with those wanting better movies about different royals but Hollywood and studios elsewhere look to the money. Money is made now catering to the younger set with maybe one or two "odd" stories thrown in yearly. To get these studios to produce films costing hundreds of millions of dollars and not getting a 1000% profit will really be hard when one fast moving adventure will do the trick especially if the cast features the current idol of the youth. Plus, the modern of today isn't into history and could give a dot about royals. Not even taught in many schools systems anymore like we had it pushed down our throats while memorizing names and dates. It all boils down to money as in any entertainment industry. Right now Hollywood is trying different things as their industry has really dropped dramatically since the 1990s. The average person no longer attends the movies weekly as in years gone by. They don't even sit and watch all the award shows with bated breath like in my youth. Also, Pay-per-View on your TVs now offer the movie, much cheaper and in the comfort of your own home. I believe it is all do to the changing times and life style of the world today. JMO
Oh, the money and audience are there. It’s take the right writers, producers, directors, studio and casts to come together and make the magic happen. They do it for the ancient British royals, they can do it for others.

A.W. TOZER
Old 01-16-2019, 04:46 PM
Heir Presumptive

Quote:
I know. I hope any film on Cleopatra isn’t screwed up with casting. Be true to who she really was - a woman of color.
That's the thing: she wasn't a woman of colour.
Old 01-16-2019, 04:51 PM
Imperial Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by JR76 View Post
That's the thing: she wasn't a woman of colour.
She was a brown skinned woman. She sure didn’t look like Elizabeth Taylor. What’s next? Will we hear Lady Gaga in the lead to play, Nefertiti?

A.W. TOZER
Old 01-16-2019, 04:52 PM
Serene Highness

Quote:
The Ptolemies were Greek, so I am not sure where you got the idea she was a woman of color? I'd be interested in your source!
Old 01-16-2019, 04:55 PM
Heir Presumptive

Quote:
Oh, the money and audience are there. It’s take the right writers, producers, directors, studio and casts to come together and make the magic happen. They do it for the ancient British royals, they can do it for others.
I agree. When I grew up tv was full of Pan-european financed films and mini series about continental royals such as Peter & Catherine the Great, Serbian nobles fighting the Turks, French royals, Habsburg royals, Bertolucci made his masterpiece about the last emperor of China proving that with a good budget & a good script on an interesting story there is an audience for other films than those about than British royals.
The last few years alone we've seen big productions about the love affair of a Danish queen, the fight of the King of Norway against the invading Nazis showing that it can be done.

Sent from my BLA-L29 using The Royals Community mobile app
Old 01-16-2019, 04:59 PM
Serene Highness

Here's a link to some coins with her image, although it doesn't give an answer on skin color:

https://www.historyextra.com/period/...-so-beautiful/
Old 01-16-2019, 05:00 PM
Heir Presumptive

Quote:
She was a brown skinned woman. She sure didn’t look like Elizabeth Taylor. What’s next? Will we hear Lady Gaga in the lead to play, Nefertiti?
Given her almost purely Greek/Macedonian ancestry and the tradition of Hellenistic upper class women to stay both out of the sun and veiling themselves when venturing outside she was probably anything but brown skinned. The Ptolemeis in general were described as "honey-skinned" by some contemporary sources.
Leaving the subject itself our few posts on the matter proves the point I was making, that any casting of the lead in the film will be highly controversial to either of the two camps no matter what skin tone she has.