"Mary, Queen of Scots" (2018) - Film on Mary, Queen of Scots and Elizabeth I

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Lenora

Heir Presumptive
City
Riga
Country
Latvia
"Mary Queen Of Scots" (2013)

Saoirse Ronan To Star In "Mary Queen Of Scots"

The Irish actress has signed on to play the title role in Mary Queen of Scots, the new film from screenwriter Michael Hirst.
While the search is still on for a director, Hirst brings plenty of experience to the project, having written both Elizabeth and Elizabeth: The Golden Age as well as episodes of television shows such as The Tudors and Camelot.

Working Title, which recently produced Wright's Anna Karenina is producing the film;http://www.deadline.com/2012/08/saoirse-ronan-to-play-mary-queen-of-scots-in-working-title-feature/ it is aiming to go into production next year.

Saoirse Ronan To Star In Mary Queen Of Scots - CinemaBlend.com

Last edited by a moderator:
Thank you for sharing! How exciting. I'm afraid I'm not familiar with this particular actress, but I'm looking forward to seeing Mary's story updated.
:D

Hopefully they will attempt to maintain some semblance of historical accuracy which was not alwasy the case with The Tudors.

Exciting news,Saoirse Ronan is an 18 yr old Irish-American actress best known for her roles in Atonement,The Lovely Bones,The Way Back and Hanna.

As Saoirse is only 18,I'm hoping that the movie will focus on Mary's early reign and perhaps her time in France too!

:previous:
I hope so as well.
Mary's later years (imprisonment in England and subsequent execution) are pretty well known, but there is little focus on her early years - ascension to the Throne pretty much immediately after her birth, life in France, marriage proposals and why the Dauphin was chosen over the Prince of Wales, and other facts from her early life.

If a quality production and no over the top Holywoodisation, it should be an interesting film indeed.

I hope so as well.
Mary's later years (imprisonment in England and subsequent execution) are pretty well known, but there is little focus on her early years - ascension to the Throne pretty much immediately after her birth, life in France, marriage proposals and why the Dauphin was chosen over the Prince of Wales, and other facts from her early life.

If a quality production and no over the top Holywoodisation, it should be an interesting film indeed.

Maybe we might see Catherine de Médicis on the big screen and perhaps Marie de Guise?

That would be fantastic! And maybe the household in France when Mary lived there, and the royal kids (the Dauphin, future Henry III, Charles IX, and Duke of Anjou, Marguerite of Navare, Princess Elizabeth, Princess Claude)... I'm expecting too much, ain't I? :) ;)

Last edited:
That would be fantastic! And maybe the household in France when Mary lived there, and the royal kids (the Dauphin, future Henry III, Charles IX, and Duke of Anjou, Marguerite of Navare, Princess Elizabeth, Princess Claude)... I'm expecting too much,ain't I? :) ;)

Ha,ha hope we won't be disappointed too much!

it is one of the most fascinating stories in british history but I suspect that they will not get it right. I think the emphasis will be on a sexy queen and setting out the Scots being murdered by the English. I hope they realise that Mary would not have had a Scottish accent but I doubt that. It will be The Tudors all over again.

Please, please prove me wrong!

it is one of the most fascinating stories in british history but I suspect that they will not get it right. I think the emphasis will be on a sexy queen and setting out the Scots being murdered by the English. I hope they realise that Mary would not have had a Scottish accent but I doubt that. It will be The Tudors all over again.
Please, please prove me wrong!
Urgh, NOT The Tudors, please! I watch just one single episode, and it was one too many.
I do fear Hollywood's usual anti-English sentiments will prevail as well (Braveheart or Patriot, anyone?).
However, the film appears to be focusing on Mary's early life (at least, based on Saoirse Ronan's age), so hopefully, they'll be more drama and less romance.

Ha,ha hope we won't be disappointed too much!
Fingers crossed. :)
Unfortunately, I'm one of those who hate historical inaccuracies (makes me a total fun killer) and I fear that in that respect there will be a disappointment all right.

Last edited:
Did someone say this is by the same guy who did Elizabeth The Golden Age? Mary was ugly, guilty of trying to kill Elizabeth AND had a Scottish accent. Get ready to he disappointed people.

Unfortunately, I'm one of those who hate historical inaccuracies (makes me a total fun killer) and I fear that in that respect there will be a disappointment all right.

I'm one of those too! I went to 'Elizabeth' with several family members back in 1998 & spent most of the rest of the night trying to convince them that Sir Francis Walsingham did not murder Mary of Guise :D

"Mary, Queen of Scots" (2018) - Film on Mary, Queen of Scots and Elizabeth I

New Mary Queen of Scots Movie

Irish actress Saoirse Ronan has been cast as Mary of Scotland and Australian actress Margot Robbie has also been cast as Elizabeth I.The untitled project is still in production and is said to be based on book called The True Life of Mary Stuart authored by John Guy

Elizabeth I to be played by Margot Robbie – Royal Central

New Mary Queen of Scots Movie

Irish actress Saoirse Ronan has been cast as Mary of Scotland and Australian actress Margot Robbie has also been cast as Elizabeth I.The untitled project is still in production and is said to be based on book called The True Life of Mary Stuart authored by John Guy

Elizabeth I to be played by Margot Robbie – Royal Central

They should have switched those roles.
Robbie is much more beautiful than Ronan. (In fact, I think Ryan actually has quite a strong resemblance to Elizabeth I.

On the other hand, Ronan is the better actress so maybe that has something to do with it.

Last edited:
Ryan? You mean Ronan?
Saoirse is a fantastic actress but I don't care for the casting of Margot. She is too conventionally pretty and Cate Blanchett will always be the perfect Elizabeth I.

Yes, sorry.

Ronan would be better as Elizabeth, imo.
Robbie is more conventionally attractive, so she should play Mary.

Can't wait for this one...yayyy!!:ROFLMAO:

I very much loved the 1971 movie with Glenda Jackson as Elizabeth I and Vanessa Redgrave as Mary Stuart. But the idea of Redgrave-who was then in her mid-30's at least-playing 15-16 year old Mary during her years in France was just beyond absurd.

Redgrave is an amazing actress but come on!:lol:

I own a copy of the John Guy book and it's certainly a different view compared to the older account - the big twist [SPOILERS] is that Lord Burleigh was the bad guy not Elizabeth. This has been in the pipeline for a long time as I can remember that Scarlett Johansen was floated as a possible Mary about 6-7 years ago.

Agree that Margot Robbie is too conventionally pretty as Elizabeth, also Saiorese Ronan [sic?] is too short - MQS was huge by the standards of the time and most actresses are often too short.

Here's a recap of other portrayals of Mary in film and television over the years.

http://www.frockflicks.com/mary-queen-scots-movies-tv/

Last edited:
Last edited by a moderator:
I'm glad to see Margot getting some more work, I really like her as an actress. The only thing I like about Saoirse is her name.

I had forgotten about this project,production started on August 14, 2017 in Edinburgh and the movie has a 2018 release date!

:previous: :lol: XeniaCasiraghi did you see Saoirse Ronan in "Atonement"? That movie broke my heart. I was obsessed with it for a few weeks. I wanted to kill the little brat that was Saiorse's character.:bang: I guess that means she's a good actress!

And yes...I love love love the name "Saoirse"...along with Sinead and Siobhan. Gaelic names are the most beautiful, imo.

I do find the casting a bit puzzling...the stunningly beautiful Margot Robbie will play Elizabeth I, a woman not renowned for her looks, while the average pretty Saoirse Ronan is cast as the Queen of Scots...said to be one of the most ravishing women of her time?

Hmmm...

Can't wait to see this movie!?

Last edited:
Here's a list of the cast and characters they play so far...

Margot Robbie :Queen Elizabeth I
Saoirse Ronan :Mary of Scotland
Joe Alwyn : Lord Robert Dudley
David Tennant :Sir Anthony Babington
Jack Lowden :Lord Darnley
Gemma Chan :Bess of Hardwick
Brendan Coyle :The Earl of Lennox
Martin Compston :The Earl of Bothwell
Ismael Cruz Cordova :Sir David Rizzio
James McArdle :The Earl of Moray
Maria-Victoria Dragus :Lady Mary Fleming

Only time I've seen Mary portrayed as beautiful is in Reign and the movie Mary QOS with Vanessa Redgrave.

:previous: Which is strange because by most accounts Mary was one of the most alluring women of her time.

I simply cannot wait to see this:)

Last edited:
It sounds very intriguing. It appears that they might cover the Bothwell marriage as well, such as it was. Looking forward to it!

Margo Robbie? Oh no. I saw her in the Tonya film and it was awful.. and she was IMO far cruder and more uncharming shall we say than the real TOnya appears to have been. I never saw Reign but I gather it was atrociously wrong in its history..

Back
Top Bottom