The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Join The Royal Forums Today

Old 05-01-2017, 04:42 PM
Super Moderator
Royal Blogger

New Mary Queen of Scots Movie

Irish actress Saoirse Ronan has been cast as Mary of Scotland and Australian actress Margot Robbie has also been cast as Elizabeth I.The untitled project is still in production and is said to be based on book called The True Life of Mary Stuart authored by John Guy

Elizabeth I to be played by Margot Robbie – Royal Central

Old 05-01-2017, 05:22 PM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by An Ard Ri View Post

Irish actress Saoirse Ronan has been cast as Mary of Scotland and Australian actress Margot Robbie has also been cast as Elizabeth I.The untitled project is still in production and is said to be based on book called The True Life of Mary Stuart authored by John Guy

Elizabeth I to be played by Margot Robbie – Royal Central

They should have switched those roles.
Robbie is much more beautiful than Ronan. (In fact, I think Ryan actually has quite a strong resemblance to Elizabeth I.

On the other hand, Ronan is the better actress so maybe that has something to do with it.

Old 05-01-2017, 06:00 PM
Royal Highness

Ryan? You mean Ronan?
Saoirse is a fantastic actress but I don't care for the casting of Margot. She is too conventionally pretty and Cate Blanchett will always be the perfect Elizabeth I.
Old 05-01-2017, 06:06 PM
Heir Apparent

Yes, sorry.

Ronan would be better as Elizabeth, imo.
Robbie is more conventionally attractive, so she should play Mary.
Old 05-01-2017, 07:53 PM
Majesty

Can't wait for this one...yayyy!!

I very much loved the 1971 movie with Glenda Jackson as Elizabeth I and Vanessa Redgrave as Mary Stuart. But the idea of Redgrave-who was then in her mid-30's at least-playing 15-16 year old Mary during her years in France was just beyond absurd.

Redgrave is an amazing actress but come on!

"The arc of the moral universe is long, but it bends toward justice". Martin Luther King Jr. 1929-1968
Old 05-01-2017, 09:59 PM
Nobility

I own a copy of the John Guy book and it's certainly a different view compared to the older account - the big twist [SPOILERS] is that Lord Burleigh was the bad guy not Elizabeth. This has been in the pipeline for a long time as I can remember that Scarlett Johansen was floated as a possible Mary about 6-7 years ago.

Agree that Margot Robbie is too conventionally pretty as Elizabeth, also Saiorese Ronan [sic?] is too short - MQS was huge by the standards of the time and most actresses are often too short.

Here's a recap of other portrayals of Mary in film and television over the years.

http://www.frockflicks.com/mary-queen-scots-movies-tv/
Old 08-17-2017, 03:29 PM
Majesty

Saoirse Ronan smoulders in royal blue in first image from forthcoming movie Mary, Queen of Scots... which she is currently filming opposite Margot Robbie as Elizabeth I

Old 08-17-2017, 03:35 PM
Heir Presumptive

I'm glad to see Margot getting some more work, I really like her as an actress. The only thing I like about Saoirse is her name.
Jaqueline Bouvier Kennedy, September 12, 1953
Countess Stephanie of Belgium October 20, 2012
Old 08-17-2017, 03:41 PM
Super Moderator
Royal Blogger

I had forgotten about this project,production started on August 14, 2017 in Edinburgh and the movie has a 2018 release date!
Old 08-17-2017, 03:45 PM
Majesty

XeniaCasiraghi did you see Saoirse Ronan in "Atonement"? That movie broke my heart. I was obsessed with it for a few weeks. I wanted to kill the little brat that was Saiorse's character. I guess that means she's a good actress!

And yes...I love love love the name "Saoirse"...along with Sinead and Siobhan. Gaelic names are the most beautiful, imo.

I do find the casting a bit puzzling...the stunningly beautiful Margot Robbie will play Elizabeth I, a woman not renowned for her looks, while the average pretty Saoirse Ronan is cast as the Queen of Scots...said to be one of the most ravishing women of her time?

Hmmm...

Can't wait to see this movie!

"The arc of the moral universe is long, but it bends toward justice". Martin Luther King Jr. 1929-1968
Old 08-20-2017, 05:14 PM
Majesty

Margot Robbie unrecognisable as Queen Elizabeth I

Margot Robbie transforms into Queen Elizabeth I | Daily Mail Online
Old 08-20-2017, 06:42 PM
Nobility

Quote:
Originally Posted by eya View Post
Margot Robbie unrecognisable as Queen Elizabeth I

Margot Robbie transforms into Queen Elizabeth I | Daily Mail Online
I looked at the picture of Robbie as Elizabeth I. You can't recognize her. She may have taken the role to prove she has range as an actress and not to be typecasted for her looks.
Old 09-11-2017, 03:57 PM
Majesty

And the filming continue

Saoirse Ronan rides horse for Mary Queen Of Scots biopic | Daily Mail Online
Old 09-13-2017, 07:10 AM
Super Moderator
Royal Blogger

Here's a list of the cast and characters they play so far...

Margot Robbie :Queen Elizabeth I
Saoirse Ronan :Mary of Scotland
Joe Alwyn : Lord Robert Dudley
David Tennant :Sir Anthony Babington
Jack Lowden :Lord Darnley
Gemma Chan :Bess of Hardwick
Brendan Coyle :The Earl of Lennox
Martin Compston :The Earl of Bothwell
Ismael Cruz Cordova :Sir David Rizzio
James McArdle :The Earl of Moray
Maria-Victoria Dragus :Lady Mary Fleming