The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Go Back   The Royal Forums > Royal Highlights > Royal Library > The Electronic Domain

Join The Royal Forums Today

Old 01-02-2012, 03:50 PM
Serene Highness

Princess Grace had several American tv specials. There is one with people like Frank Sinatra singing and movie stars. The Philadelphia talk show host Mike Douglas took his show there for 1 week at least once, maybe more. Then there is the interview with Pierre Salinger right before she died. I may have seen that documentary as a child but don't specifically remember it.

Old 01-02-2012, 04:57 PM
Heir Presumptive

Quote:
Originally Posted by agogo
Has anyone ever seen the 1963 documentary, "A LOOK AT MONACO" ? It was narrated by Princess Grace. It was produced by CBS.
I think extracts may have been shown during the Princess Grace exhibition at the Grimaldi centre in Monaco. I am pretty certain I have seen some brief snippets somewhere, perhaps as part of a documentary on Grace. It would be wonderful to see the whole programme though. There are still pictures of Grace during the filming of the programme.

Old 10-02-2016, 03:38 PM
Serene Highness

Monaco Princely Family Documentaries and DVDs

I saw 'Monaco, le rocher Útait presque parfait' on friday on France3. A 1h30 documentary about Grace and Rainiers family. The title is a reference to Dial M for murder which French title was La crime Útait presque parfait.
It had a lot of footage I hadn't seen before, including interviews in French with Grace and Caroline.
On 13th of October there will be a rerun at night.

http://m.programme-tv.net/programme/...esque-parfait/

A part of it is on you tube
https://youtu.be/Qx2WtqDS6Ks
Old 10-02-2016, 06:16 PM
Royal Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by cdm View Post
I saw 'Monaco, le rocher Útait presque parfait' on friday on France3. A 1h30 documentary about Grace and Rainiers family. The title is a reference to Dial M for murder which French title was La crime Útait presque parfait.
It had a lot of footage I hadn't seen before, including interviews in French with Grace and Caroline.

Monaco, le rocher Útait presque parfait : Culture Infos - TÚlÚ-Loisirs

Very nice video Cdm... Thank you so much!!!
Old 10-03-2016, 01:34 PM
Serene Highness

An extensive documentary behind the scenes of Albert and Charlene's wedding.
https://youtu.be/2IM5DWOBc-0
Old 10-05-2016, 07:00 PM
Serene Highness

Quote:

http://m.programme-tv.net/programme/...esque-parfait/

Now the whole program is available
https://youtu.be/ovgorbgz0VM
Old 10-08-2016, 03:25 AM
Courtier

Quote:
Now the whole program is available
https://youtu.be/ovgorbgz0VM

Thank you cdm for posting this.

Even though I couldn't understand the French, it was truly mavellous to see footage of events only seen before in still photos - and mostly black and white photos at that, as colour printing was very limited in those days.

Wonderful to see the snippets of "Rearranged" - I thought this was locked away forever following Princess Grace's death, along with the much earlier movie about the babysitter in Monaco that was done when Princess Caroline was just a toddler.

I haven't seen that since my own childhood, but still remember Frank Sinatra in the Palace garden with Grace and Prince Ranier, Grace out and about on her duties and the movie's star dancing on a gambling table.

All this was at a time when the world was a bigger and slower place and the lady editors of Australia's women's magazines were the only ones bringing the glamour and escapism of the other side of the world to us.

Grace, with Audrey Hepburn, Elizabeth Taylor, Sophia Loren and Jackie Kennedy - later Onassis - were the "stars" we couldn't get enough of. All before Diana, Princess of Wales, Kate Middleton and today's big names.

Because of these women's magazines we kept up with the news from Monaco - and as Princess Caroline grew up she became the one all the teenage girls followed.

When Diana came along, Caroline was pushed from the number one spot and then all the scandals came.

I still remember Caroline being quoted - I think by her father - as wanting the family to get in a jeep and drive across Afghanistan. It was a safe thing to do in those days - part of the hippie trail with mini-skirts being worn by the local women. Such changes since then.

I hope our multi-cultural TV channel SBS buys this and subtitles it so I can enjoy it fully.

Once again, thank you cdm for this. A terrific trip down memory lane.
Old 10-08-2016, 03:53 AM
Serene Highness

Sun lion .... What baby sitter in Monaco ?
Old 10-08-2016, 04:01 AM
Courtier

Quote:
Originally Posted by sm1939 View Post

It was a black and white movie - with a storyline etc.

At least I only saw it in black and white, as in those days - where I lived - we only had two TV channels, no colour and a lot of things were repeated.

I saw it quite a few of times throughout the sixties. (Though it would have been made when Princess Caroline was toddling about and Prince Albert was just a baby.)

As I remember it -

A young French girl arrrives - by train? - in Monaco, and through a hotel becomes a babysitter.

There is a "fantasy" sequence where she dresses in an evening gown and throws dice about an oversize game table as she dances.

It has a happy ending.

It was mostly a way of promoting Monaco I think.

I'm assuming it was done with French actors and dubbed for the US and other English-speaking markets. No subtitles in those days.

I can't remember the name of it, but it was shown several times on TV here as we didn't get much in the way of programming.

I remember Princess Caroline being naughty near a paddling pool and Princess Grace watching some construction work - maybe the Princess Grace Hospital. That's how I remember it, as what was being built.

When Princess Grace died it was reported that this movie, and the un-released "Rearranged" would not be seen as Prince Ranier, who decided this action himself, was not willing for them to be seen again.

Maybe that has changed, or will change with time. I would like that, to see it again.

A bit of an historical record now.
Old 10-08-2016, 04:44 AM
Serene Highness

Sun lion thank you that's really interesting �� I'm loving the link too
Old 10-08-2016, 04:54 AM
Courtier

Quote:
Originally Posted by sm1939 View Post

Found it sm1939 - "Invitation to Monte Carlo" from 1959.

(More and more of my memory of it came back as I was posting, and it pinged in my mind that it was called "Love in Monaco" - which it is also known by, I have now seen.)

Google has the cast list etc.

I can't find any of it on youtube, but there are some stills from it - in colour - on Google Images that someone has posted on a tumblr account.

One of the photos on Google Images is of the young woman/babysitter giving Princess Caroline a cat.

My memory is that this cat runs off, and the babysitter runs around Monaco/Monte Carlo trying to find it.

There is a nice photo of Prince Ranier, with toddler Princess Caroline on his shoulders, walking through the Palace garden with Princess Grace in a yellow dress also on Google Images from this film.

(Google Images, Love in Monaco. And yes, photos of Caroline and the paddling pool.)
Old 10-08-2016, 05:43 AM
Serene Highness

Great thank you I'm going to check that out ��
Old 10-08-2016, 11:29 PM
Courtier

Here are more details of this 1959 semi-documentary, forty-six minute long, film.

Sir Roger Moore tweeted a few months ago about the passing of a producer of several of his - Sir Roger's - films.

That producer was a man named Euan Lloyd.

"Invitation to Monte Carlo" - also known as "Love in Monaco" - was one of Euan Lloyd's first films. He was writer, director and producer on it.

The storyline is about a little orphan girl named Lindy who is invited to the Palace in Monaco to present a kitten named Tosca to Princess Caroline.

She is accompanied by an air-hostess named Jacqueline.

Prince Rainer is featured at his zoo and scuba-diving.

(Other details re Princess Grace, todder Princess Caroline, and Frank Sinatra in this film, are in posts upthread.)

It was released in the UK in 1959 and in the US in 1961.

And this information is more accurate than my memory obviously!
Old 10-09-2016, 01:46 PM
Serene Highness

Some more french documentaties

Secret d'histoires, the Princes of Monaco

https://youtu.be/_yFATv4Xzdw

One on the kitchen of the princely palace

https://youtu.be/o-uXi1aMjEs

A year in the Palace
https://youtu.be/1pRkWXf01AA
Old 10-09-2016, 04:59 PM
Courtier

Thank you, cdm, for posting the links and Sun Lion, for your interesting info. I found the documentary on PRainier and P Grace very informative and interesting. It was nice to see all the old footage from back then and get insight into their own childhoods. Was Monaco in the news or even popular as a tourist destination before PGrace settled there? And I was wondering who Monaco supported during World War 11, since it is situated right between two countries who were on opposing sides?

Sent from my iPad using The Royals Community
Old 10-10-2016, 10:41 PM
Courtier

Quote:
Originally Posted by C4A View Post
Was Monaco in the news or even popular as a tourist destination before PGrace settled there? And I was wondering who Monaco supported during World War 11, since it is situated right between two countries who were on opposing sides?

Prince Ranier was with the Free French Army during World War Two C4A - and saw action and was awarded medals.

Monaco had been successful as a winter destination during the previous century - but had declined by the time Grace arrived. And by then the Riviera was more of a summer place.

Princess Grace brought the attention of America and the world.

I've read that although Monaco is still very wealthy, and still a destination - due to it's strict security a lot of the world's younger glamour-heads avoid it.

The older set don't need papparazzi in their space and stick to Monaco - a bit like a country club, safe and sedate.

The younger international gang/stars go where they will be see - as so much of their lives is about being seen.

So Ibiza, Mykonos, St Tropez, and such places, get the stars of today's presence more than Monaco does.
Old 10-12-2016, 01:23 AM
Courtier

^^^ Thanks, Sun Lion, very interesting.

Sent from my iPad using The Royals Community