"Mary: The Making of a Princess" (2015) - Network Ten Australia Telemovie

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Now that (a retired) Vampirella is playing QMII, what about the guy playing PH?

Will he be just as scary? - Or will he go through the entire melodrama speaking circus-English?
- Sorry, simply couldn't resist. :D - I know, bad Muhler. :sad:

She has on several occasions admitted she isn't very good with small children and that she wasn't as present with her two sons as she perhaps in hindsight could or should have been.

That she should publicly have expressed doubt about Frederik's ability to become king is completely new to me. That would be completely out of character for QMII, not to mention pretty sensational.
So if someone could dig up that interview I should very much like to see it.

Let me correct and clarify what I wrote before. It was an interview to CNN, not to the BBC. When asked about Frederik's future role as monarch, the Queen says that she didn't really have doubts about Frederik, but remarks immediately thereafter that, when Frederik was younger, he "was unsure about himself" and that he "has grown in confidence" over the past 10 years or so. Although she doesn't explicitly say then that she had doubts about him before, one can infer from her comments that she actually did. She also implies later that meeting Mary may have helped Frederik to boost his self-confidence.

Last edited:
:previous: I see. :)

Or perhaps she expressed understanding?
Because QMII has often admitted how insecure and inadequate she felt herself, when she was new in the job.

Let me correct and clarify what I wrote before. It was an interview to CNN, not to the BBC. When asked about Frederik's future role as monarch, the Queen says that she has no doubts "at all" about Frederik, but remarks immediately thereafter that, when Frederik was younger, he "was unsure about himself" and that he "has grown in confidence" over the past 10 years or so. Although she doesn't explicitly say then that she had doubts about him before, one can infer from her comments that she actually did.

Really? ;) Can one?
I'm glad you corrected and clarified, because you did say, that she had her doubts, which she didn't.

:previous: I see. :)

Or perhaps she expressed understanding?
Because QMII has often admitted how insecure and inadequate she felt herself, when she was new in the job.

Now that you mentioned it, yes, it may be an expression of understanding as she adds " so are we all", after saying that Frederik was unsure about himself when he was very young.

The first time I heard her, I thought she had said " so were we all" (meaning "we all were unsure" about him, which motivated my previous comment), but, listening to the interview again, I realized she said "are" rather than "were" (meaning "we all are unsure" about ourselves when we are very young).

Here is the link.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-l-ERrZQIgY

Last edited:
:previous: What a contrast to the dragon-like queen portrayed in the movie. But of course so much less dramatic.
And yes, she did express understanding for Frederik being insecure.

Thanks for posting the vid, Mbruno. ;)

Another "sneak peek" of "Mary: the Making of a Princess" is coming.

Lovely "Mary" actress Emma Hamilton has re-tweeted a message from Australian television magazine "TV Week" that another - new - preview will be out soon.

Hopefully it will appear on the internet as well as the telly - I'm on a road trip at the moment and not getting much TV viewing in.

(At least I may be home again by the time the actual show is broadcast - it doesn't look like it is to be played next week after all, another show is scheduled in the time-slot that "The Bacherlorette" has vacated.)

Last edited:
When does this air?

The official website for the production says December miche, though that would be after the television ratings season has closed.

Some film students visited the set during filming, and put on their blog that it was due to be broadcast on November 4th.

In any case it should now be only a matter of weeks.

I can't see it being held back until the new ratings season starts. That would be after school goes back following the summer holidays, and that wouldn't be until mid-February.

Last edited:
Well here's something that might not go down too well with those who have already written off "Mary: the Making of a Princess".

A new report on the production says there is a scene of nude skinny-dipping at Bondi Beach.

A quote from actress Emma Hamilton is also reported - "very apprehensive" about taking on the role of Mary Donaldson.

Ryan O'Kane is quoted as saying there "was a lot to be nervous about" during filming.

Also another new photo has been released - from the night the young couple met.

Critic Holly Byrnes must have seen the movie, saying the first half hour has dialogue from "Amber" that would make the very Australian Crocodile Dundee "blush".

And the broadcast date has been announced - Sunday 15th November at 8.30pm.

Last edited:
:previous: So the moons will be rising over Bondi Beach? :p

Is that all? :lol:
There are already genuine pics of Frederik in the buff out there, but I bet Daily Mail can get an article or two out of this.

I'm already trembling with anticipation. I just hope it won't conflict with the series: Three Hours in the Life of a Turtle - then I'll really be in a dilemma about what to watch!

Last edited:
The Sunday night 8.30pm time slot is still the premiere time for the week's broadcasting across all channels in Oz - everyone settled down before work and school the next morning.

Programming the film to screen at this time makes me think Channel Ten has very high hopes of capturing a very big audience - rather than putting it on during a mid-week night.

It's getting a lot of publicity too - already Ms Byrnes' article has been put up on five different news websites.

Might also be in today's paper - Sunday morning here. (And the wonderful yacht "Silver Cloud" that CP Mary and her family were photographed aboard in 2013 is back in Sydney for the summer - just sailed past.)

(And Muhler - you know the turtle show wouldn't get a look in. Like me, you too want to see this. :flowers:)

Last edited:
Yes indeed, "Frederik" does get to enjoy a pie-floater - courtesy of "Mary" - from Harry's "Cafe de Wheels" in the forth-coming "Mary: The Making of a Princess".

Today's newspaper has given three-quarters of a page to the Holly Byrnes article and the new photo.

And another new photo of Emma and Ryan as "Mary" and "Frederik" on the Channel Ten "Ten Play" account - a very nice close-up of the actors,(and the engagement ring).

Last edited:
A couple of new articles are now online with lots of comments from "Mary"/Emma Hamilton and "Frederik"/Ryan O'Kane, as it is now only a week until "Mary: The Making of a Princess" is screened here in Australia.

(Ryan/"Frederik" has some nudity - but not Emma/"Mary".)

David Dale - "Ryan O'Kane takes his pants off in royal role in Mary: The Making of a Princess".

David Dale - "Can the Danes face the bare facts about their Frederik and our Mary?".

- are the articles if you are interested in the details. (Can't link from my tablet.)

Last edited:
My dear Sun Lion, despair no more. :)

Here are the articles you mentioned, for the benefit of up to several readers. :p;) (Yeah, yeah, it's from Blackadder).

Ryan O'Kane takes off his pants in royal role for Mary: The Making of a Princess

Can the Danes face the bare facts? :ROFLMAO: Good grief, we have seen Frederik displaying his... eeh, crown jewels.. and we survived. :lol:

But interesting to compare the DRF to the bridge officers on Star Trek (the old one I guess).

Last edited:
I guess the only fact this movie may have is if they get their names right. I am sure they will flop when it comes to the correct titles and how to address a royal correctly.

:previous: Well, if the clip we saw of "Queen Margrethe" is anything to go by, I expect to see Mary genuflecting frantically as she backs out of the royal presence. Such things are bound to happen when you call your future M-I-L, "Your Reverence" instead of "Your Majesty". :ROFLMAO:

This looks like fun. Wish I could see it. :flowers: I suppose in time I will. Mary and Frederick and their children are one of my favorite royal families. They are such a pleasure to watch. Real love present imo.

A few new snippets from "Mary: The Making of a Princess" were shown on TV last night, including some of the on-location in Copenhagen shots.

(I don't watch Channel Ten a great deal, but the original forty second preview has been broadcast a lot over the last few weeks - I've caught it many, many times. I think they are aiming for the older age group, as well as young women.)

And another article is now online from Darren Devlyn, "The Sydney Morning Herald", with more info and insight from "Mary" actress Emma Hamilton - "A persistent star finds her royal role".

"In all honesty, Mary is one of the highlights of my career so far" says Emma.

Last edited:
This weeks TV mag says some things were changed eg. Where Fred proposed etc and what they want to convey is a beautiful love story.

And that is what it is royal or not two people from opposite worlds meet fall in love and marry.

Sent from my iPhone using The Royals Community

This weeks TV mag says some things were changed eg. Where Fred proposed etc and what they want to convey is a beautiful love story.

And that is what it is royal or not two people from opposite worlds meet fall in love and marry.

Sounds like at least you and I royal rob will be watching this.

And another review has now been put online where the actress Renae Small is reported as portraying CP Mary's friend Amber "expertly" - Hazel Bradley, "Affectionat royal romp".

(Renae is also a "professional fairy" - sounds like a fun job.)

Last edited:
I just checked out the magazine royal rob - not only did "Mary: The Making of a Princess" get the cover, but there is an eight page feature on the production.

Some serious publicity for this film - maybe there will be more than just a few of us tuning in on Sunday night.

On the cover of the magazine it also says "But how much of it is true" not much IMHO Ryan the actor who plays Frederik said the story " balances real events with 'imagined scenarios' that occur behind closed doors". They do not appear to even get the real events correct, such as where Frederik proposed, the date they met for the second time, even the blue sash Mary is wearing is the wrong width, so I have little hope for this.

I just checked out the magazine royal rob - not only did "Mary: The Making of a Princess" get the cover, but there is an eight page feature on the production.

Some serious publicity for this film - maybe there will be more than just a few of us tuning in on Sunday night.

Yeah I hope so I'm looking forward to it my daughter will record it and watch when her little ones are asleep.
We both love Mary and are suckers for a love story.

short interview with the actor that plays Frederik
AAP on Yahoo — Actor hopes Danes like Mary telemovie

"O'Kane said he was familiar with the story when he accepted the role but there was something about the Danish royals which he didn’t know until filming started.
“One thing that stood out was Prince Frederik, and the rest of the royals, are instructed from a very young age that you cannot marry another Dane, you have to marry, as part of the law, a foreigner so there is no power struggle for the crown,” O'Kane said.
“I suppose every overseas trip was an audition for a wife.”

I dont think its against the law:whistling:

accuracy was not high on their list in creating this "film" ;);)

Here are some quotes from another review - from my newspaper today - for anyone ready for "Mary: The Making of a Princess" not to measure up.

"The premise is schmaltzy", "the opening scenes cheesy", "dodgy dialogue", "historical inaccuracies", "vom-inducing", "so bad it's good".

But from the same reviewer, who says they are "a sucker for fairytales" - "they don't get much more impressive than this", "Emma Hamilton and Ryan O'Kane are believable as Fred and his Aussie bride-to-be", and "it's good fun".

I'm ready just to enjoy it for what it is - and I think that is how most Aussies will take it.

Enjoy Sunday night royal rob, you and your daughter.

All this talk about accuracy, etc. In the trailer, ''QMII'' asks ''Frederik'' if he can trust ''Mary'' not to sell her story. That could very well have happened.

Looking forward to details on Monday.

All this talk about accuracy, etc. In the trailer, ''QMII'' asks ''Frederik'' if he can trust ''Mary'' not to sell her story. That could very well have happened.

Looking forward to details on Monday.

And the viewing figures/ratings Midwest Mom - they will be interesting when they are released.

I'll pass that on if I catch it in the newspaper.

the ruby tiara does not even look anyting like the real tiara

Back
Top Bottom