"Mary: The Making of a Princess" (2015) - Network Ten Australia Telemovie

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
And that's a wrap!

Looks like filming for "Mary: The Making of a Princess" is done.

Status has changed from "filming" to "post-production".

And there's a photo of Emma Hamilton dressed in Mary's engagement interview dress, now out on the internet.

(Looks like a room in NSW's Government House from the decoration on the walls.)

Any further filming in Denmark may only be some location footage - not the actual actors in the streets of Copenhagen as we've had here in Sydney - too bad.

Well, Good Luck to all involved in this - looking forward to watching it in a few months.

Last edited:
Ms Mary Elizabeth Donaldson married the Crown Prince of Denmark and with that she became a Princess by virtue of marriage.

Only that is needed. "Yes, I do!" No more, no less. "The Making Of A Princess" already indicates total nonsens. Even if Ms Donaldson has not changed a millimetre and remained a real estate lady down there, she still would be a princess purely because of her marriage. No any "making" needed at all...

:previous: I have a nasty suspicion that we will see a parody of a star-struck, very common Australian, "Mary". Making her into a princess will probably require a very long and stressful "Princess School" with regular shots of cringing courtiers and Queen Margrethe frequently wringing her hands at the sheer awfulness of it all. Prince Henrik, with his usual diplomatic flair, will be asking what she expects him to do about it all, shoot her?

Will we see Queen Margrethe bemoaning the disparity of virtues between the very elegant and cultured Alexandra and the very Aussie Mary and, of course there will be the inevitable "love conquers all" over a royal family dealing with a weak and besotted Fred, an uncultured Mary and trying to keep the lid on Joachim and Alexandra's marital problems.

Then again we could see the magical Mary, a diamond in the rough but willing and able to save the Danish Royal Family from itself!

Ugh, the sheer awfulness of knowing they even trawled her ex is enough to set the tone. As for the relationship itself, will it be Barbara Cartland or E.L. James?

It may, or may not turn our cringeworthy CrownPrincessJava, but it is getting a tremendous amount of publicity.

Today's "The Daily Telegraph" - which gets 1.2 million readers in NSW each day - has half of page three taken up with a photo of "Mary"/Emma Hamilton and "Frederik"/Ryan O'Kane.

Dressed for the scene of the night they met, the performers look very much the part.

I think Channel 10 will have a hit with this - most Aussies like an upbeat, happy story - and it's a one-off, so a lot of viewers will tune in at least to check it out.
Channel Ten needs a boost - the channel has had too many flops. Like most in my circle of friends and acquaintances, we stick to ABC and SBS.

Let's just hope it's not too cringeworthy - but I don't hold much hope.

:previous: I have a nasty suspicion that we will see a parody of a star-struck, very common Australian, "Mary". Making her into a princess will probably require a very long and stressful "Princess School" with regular shots of cringing courtiers and Queen Margrethe frequently wringing her hands at the sheer awfulness of it all. Prince Henrik, with his usual diplomatic flair, will be asking what she expects him to do about it all, shoot her?

Will we see Queen Margrethe bemoaning the disparity of virtues between the very elegant and cultured Alexandra and the very Aussie Mary and, of course there will be the inevitable "love conquers all" over a royal family dealing with a weak and besotted Fred, an uncultured Mary and trying to keep the lid on Joachim and Alexandra's marital problems.
Marg, be careful, if channel 10 sees this, they'll employ you to re-write the script! I'd watch it if the actual storyline had 1/10th of your imagination!

Do you want to see how actress Emma Hamilton looks as CP Mary on her wedding day?

Lovely photo now on the facebook account of The Langham Hotel The Rocks - where the wedding scene was filmed a few weeks ago.

(Sorry - on my tablet, can't post links.)

I feel it will go the way alike the latest Diana and Grace films: straight to the dustbin of history.

I feel it will go the way alike the latest Diana and Grace films: straight to the dustbin of history.

While the real CP Mary may hope so Duc_et_Pair, I have a feeling this TV movie will become an institution - much as "National Lampoon's Christmas Vacation" has.

While that movie is broadcast in Australia every Christmas, I can see "Mary: The Making of a Princess" being shown again and again each time Mary returns to Oz.

Last edited:
In essence it is just a nice girl who met a nice dude whom seems to be a Prince. Like once an Argentine working in New York-finance met a blond-haired dude in Seville, Spain whom seemed to be a Prince also... There is really no "making off".

What we learn from all these ladies is that they more or less found their own way, with the help of their partner and the family. Here and there a special liaison was appointed to give guidance but really, "Princess School" with learning how to make a révérence or how walk with a diadem... Only in Disney movies.

:lol:

Then again we could see the magical Mary, a diamond in the rough but willing and able to save the Danish Royal Family from itself!

Ugh, the sheer awfulness of knowing they even trawled her ex is enough to set the tone. As for the relationship itself, will it be Barbara Cartland or E.L. James?

Sounds about right. There's no way this film will avoid a cringe factor.

Sent from my iPad using The Royals Community mobile app

Hi polyesco - yes it is.

And guess what - it's now been picked up by "The Sydney Morning Herald" newspaper here in Sydney.

And correction to a post above - actress Emma Hamilton is tweeting from Copenhagen, so maybe there will be some photos of the location shooting.

(When the film info went from "filming" to "post-production", I thought the cast weren't travelling to Denmark - well they must be there. Hope some Danish TRFs poster comes across them and lets us know about it.)

Last edited:
:previous: No word whatsoever.

Hi Muhler - perhaps they'll quickly run/drive past Amalienborg Palace before the guards can stop them. :lol:

Thanks RoyaltyPortuguese - I think the actors are good matches to the famous, real-life photos we've all seen.

:previous: Disguised as M&F perhaps? :lol:

Nah, more likely a camera team taking a few snaps. Perhaps asking for access to the DR1 and TV2 archives for some additional footage and for some of the actors to have a sniff of the atmosphere and setting of Copenhagen.

You know what I'd like Muhler - the cast shooting in the area frequented by the Royals - and then the real Royals jog past.

Have your cameras ready - don't see it but miss getting the photo. :lol:

:previous: Ha, well. Not that unrealistic.

Another thing I thought of was for the actors, script writers, whatever to mingle with the crowd at an actual event involving Mary in particular. To get a feel of the atmosphere and to study the real thing in action.
A competent (in the European definition of competent i.e. very skilled indeed) actor will find that very useful.
But as shooting seems to be done, that can't be it.

You know what I'd like Muhler - the cast shooting in the area frequented by the Royals - and then the real Royals jog past.

Have your cameras ready - don't see it but miss getting the photo. :lol:

Something similar did happen a year or so ago.
A journalist was recording something and Frederik and Mary walked on by

Yes RoyaltyPortuguese - it was announced - officially, but I can't remember where I saw it - that the production would be moving on from Sydney, for location shooting in Denmark, at the end of August.

And yes polyesco - I remember that now.

Can you imagine if it happened with this filming. That photo would be on the front page of the newspapers here.

Last edited:

Excellent choice for the role of Mary as this particular actor. In appearance at least is perfect.

:previous: I' m so agree with you ANNIE_S. And the trailer say "The story you don't know" I fear that what I do not know:lol:

I do not know really how is to her life the Queen Margrethe but certainly in the film as bad laws sells more. I wonder if the Frederick and Mary will have the curiosity to see the story of their love .According to the film at least.:D

Last edited by a moderator:
Now I'm expecting some nice aerial shots of Copenhagen.

Look out for drones in the sky Muhler - the "Mary: The Making of a Princess" instagram account has just posted a photo of the delivery of a drone to the location shooting in Denmark.

And of course, it arrived by bicycle. :lol:

Last edited:
Correction - looks like lovely Angela Punch-McGregor will be portraying Queen Margrethe.

Superb actress who once played Anthony Hopkin's wife - if you've not heard of her.

Check out an old Australian film, "We of the Never, Never" - a true story and the most evocative movie music I've heard.

And well-respected Scottish-born Oz actor Colin Friels is also in the cast - I'm guessing he will be playing CP Mary's father John Donaldson.

Actor and author Shane Briant, who is playing Prince Henrik, has a blog if you want to follow any posts he makes about the production.

(And I think he's got a hard role - Shane is English, lives in Oz, and is playing a Frenchman who has lived in Denmark most of his life - how do you approach that accent.)

English born, Norwegian-speaking actor/author/director Nicholas Hope is playing the role of Per Thornitt of the Danish Royal Court.

And another correction - Colin Friels is not portraying CP Mary's father John Donaldson as I speculated above.

If you saw the wedding scene photo, that is actor James Lugton - who decades ago was in a well remembered, in Oz, early Nicole Kidman movie, "BMX Bandits".

Last edited:
Now I'm expecting some nice aerial shots of Copenhagen.

Look out for drones in the sky Muhler - the "Mary: The Making of a Princess" instagram account has just posted a photo of the delivery of a drone to the location shooting in Denmark.

And of course, it arrived by bicycle. :lol:

So they have obtained permission for flying over Copenhagen then.
That is otherwise a no-go, especially if it's also above military installations and royal residencies.

It's going to be a popular pastime shooting the things down over the next couple of years. :D
I'll tell Mrs. Muhler to have her bow and arrows ready.

Another photo has been posted to the "Mary: The Making of a Princess" instagram account - looking across the canal to Amalienborg from the Opera House.

Looks like there are some renovations going on, with all the tarpaulins on the buildings.

(Being posted by the film's cinematographer Damian Wyvill - same photos on his twitter account.)

I bet they're having fun.

Last edited:
Goodbye Denmark - lovely CP Mary actress Emma Hamilton has tweeted that filming there is now all done.

:previous: That wasn't much filming. So I guess it was just some background shoots?

Back
Top Bottom