The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Go Back   The Royal Forums > Royal Highlights > Royal Library > The Electronic Domain

Join The Royal Forums Today

Old 11-18-2015, 01:26 PM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
The telemovie which claimed to tell the 'true story' of the making of Princess Mary has been criticised by Mary's best friend Amber Petty.

Mary's bridesmaid was apparently unimpressed with how the royal love story was portrayed on the fictional show, Mary: The Making of a Princess, which aired on Channel 10 on Sunday evening, and posited a gif on Twitter with the words 'Are you f***ing kidding me?'

The show, watched by 900,000 viewers, recounts the romance between the former real estate agent from Tasmania and the Crown Prince of Denmark.
Read more: Princess Mary's bridesmaid Amber Petty blasts Channel 10's telemovie | Daily Mail Online

Old 11-18-2015, 02:14 PM
Heir Presumptive

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moonmaiden23 View Post
I think she is attractive and incredibly stylish, but my basic analysis of the former Mary Donaldson matches your own.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mbruno View Post
I think the jury is still out on Mary. All I can say for now is that each member of the new generation of "middle-class" royal consorts comes across very differently to me: Daniel is humble; Maxima is spontaneous; Letizia is impassive; and Mary, well, let's say her demeanor is more like that of someone who was born into royalty than her husband's, who descends from the oldest royal house in Europe. Somehow she doesn't strike me as a genuine person, but it may be a personal prejudice only.
I just saw these quotes, and so glad I did. I thought for the longest time that I was the only one that had these thoughts on CP Mary. There is just something about her that doesn't ring true.

Old 11-18-2015, 03:02 PM
Nobility

Well, I think Mary is a very disciplined person who holds herself to a high standard re her appearance and her royal duties. I've only been following her for the last couple of years, but from the pictures I've seen, I don't get a snobbish vibe at all. If the Danish monarchy ever goes down, it won't be her fault; she has thrown herself completely into her role.

In pictures I see of her with other royal ladies, she seems to be comfortable and friendly with them, and they with her.
Old 11-18-2015, 04:03 PM
Serene Highness

I also think there is a falseness about her, it's as if she trys too hard to be the perfect royal. The first time I noticed it was on a documentary about the Danish royal jewels. When she spoke in English the Aussie accent was completely gone and she spoke with quite a pronounced Danish accent the same as her mother in law. Considering she married at the age of 32 and the programme was made only a few years after her marriage I thought she sounded ridiculous.
Old 11-18-2015, 04:13 PM
Royal Highness

Really are we ( you ) ever happy
She's loving and loyal to her husband
She's raising well behaved children
She works hard at her duties
She looks well groomed her hair is never over her face
She can give a great speech
There are no nude photos from her youth
I guess all this isn't good enough for some

Sent from my iPhone using The Royals Community
Old 11-18-2015, 04:25 PM
Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by angela View Post
I also think there is a falseness about her, it's as if she trys too hard to be the perfect royal. The first time I noticed it was on a documentary about the Danish royal jewels. When she spoke in English the Aussie accent was completely gone and she spoke with quite a pronounced Danish accent the same as her mother in law. Considering she married at the age of 32 and the programme was made only a few years after her marriage I thought she sounded ridiculous.
Mary must be doing well, if that's an issue.

She's living in Denmark, surrounded by Danes, who when they speak English, speak English with Danish accent.
When she's exposed to Australian English, it's only when she talks to her family on the phone meet the odd Australian or watch the odd Australian show on TV. - So it can hardly be surprising if it influence her accent.

Including of course the way she express herself. Eg. like saying "it's interesting when one experience...", rather than "it's interesting when you experience...". To English speakers that sounds a bit aloof, but in Danish that's the normal way to phrase such a sentence.
Old 11-18-2015, 04:48 PM
Courtier

MidwestMom, with you on this, to me Mary comes across as warm, friendly and caring with all she meet. She takes her position seriously and is always well presented, just wish some others would do the same. The most important thing is, she has a happy husband and family. She is loved by her husband and children and has a great relationship with her in laws and other royals. She is s one of the most popular in member of the DRF so something must ring true with the Danes.
Old 11-18-2015, 05:00 PM
Courtier

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zonk View Post
Call me crazy...but I enjoyed it!

Now don't get me wrong...I have seen the Charles and Diana movies [both versions of the romance and the movie that explained why it went all wrong], both William and Catherine movies and the Charles and Camilla movie. They are all cheesy and play loosey goosey with the facts. So this wasn't that much of a surprise.

That being said, for someone who wasn't around when Mary met and married Frederik, it was nice to see an "interpretation" of how it happened. I think the movie got a couple of things right [i.e. how they met, the struggle to over come the long distance romance, dealing with the press, etc.) and I am sure things they got wrong (i.e.. proposing on the side of the highway, the ambivalence of Joachim and Alexandria (where they ever happy?), the lack of assistance by the Queen, etc.

The movie didn't take itself too seriously.

As someone mentioned, with all the terrible things happening in the world..it was nice to escape into a world where a boy met a girl and fell in love.

Thanks Zonk, great review I enjoyed it also, as did many of the people that watched it on the night, I wasn't sure that I would but of course as you say the movie didn't take it self too seriously and I think if people watch it with that in mind they may enjoy it a little as well.
Old 11-18-2015, 09:15 PM
Heir Presumptive

Quote:
Originally Posted by MidwestMom View Post
Well, I think Mary is a very disciplined person who holds herself to a high standard re her appearance and her royal duties. I've only been following her for the last couple of years, but from the pictures I've seen, I don't get a snobbish vibe at all. If the Danish monarchy ever goes down, it won't be her fault; she has thrown herself completely into her role.
Same here. Though I expect the feelings of those who think she is are rooted in her exceptional posture, the way she carries her head and the way she does not allow herself to register every fleeting emotion on her face or eyes (though emotions are there, albeit minimally). She does not kow-tow.

None of the above has anything to do with the character. It's all purely a physical effect and subsequent subjective interpretation (based on very little really). As such, to allow oneself to be impacted by all that is superficial imo, and to no real purpose. The animus I have read (on other sites) directed at Mary reminds me of Junior High and the way girls would go after girls judged needing some taking down a peg or two (for whatever reason).

Quote:
In pictures I see of her with other royal ladies, she seems to be comfortable and friendly with them, and they with her.
She really is a very nice person. It's very evident.

Quote:
Originally Posted by angela View Post
Trying 'too hard' to do things well is not a fault imo. Being serious about one's role is not 'falseness'. Seems genuine to me.

I think you misunderstand. One really does take on the accent of those around one. It happens. One blends in. It's only stubborn people (like Henry Kissinger) who make a studied effort never to lose their initial accent.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Muhler View Post
Mary must be doing well, if that's an issue.

She's living in Denmark, surrounded by Danes, who when they speak English, speak English with Danish accent. When she's exposed to Australian English, it's only when she talks to her family on the phone meet the odd Australian or watch the odd Australian show on TV. - So it can hardly be surprising if it influence her accent.

Including of course the way she express herself. Eg. like saying "it's interesting when one experience...", rather than "it's interesting when you experience...". To English speakers that sounds a bit aloof, but in Danish that's the normal way to phrase such a sentence.
Exactly so, Muhler. Mirrors my experience (with other languages).

Quote:
Originally Posted by marfre View Post
MidwestMom, with you on this, to me Mary comes across as warm, friendly and caring with all she meet. She takes her position seriously and is always well presented, just wish some others would do the same. The most important thing is, she has a happy husband and family. She is loved by her husband and children and has a great relationship with her in laws and other royals. She is s one of the most popular in member of the DRF so something must ring true with the Danes.
I agree 100%. She is someone who has a professional attitude towards her role. Her family is amazing. The Danes have every reason to be proud, and imo she deserves her popularity. Always a pleasure to watch.
Old 11-18-2015, 10:26 PM
Majesty

i have only watched the first minutes of this. it seems entertaining, i may watch the rest. i just doubt how much of it is really what happened and how much research went into this to do it. i somehow can't imagine mary dancing wildly in a club, proposing margaritas to a whole bunch of people she never met before or frederik being smitten from moment 1, telling mary about his 'summer palace' as soon as they met, or joachim disclosing frederik's identity to a stranger.

(funny moment: fred calls mary and mary answers the phone saying 'dad?' - as if she wouldn't have her dad's phone registered on her cell!)
http://www.theanimalrescuesite.com/
Take some time to sign the petitions @: http://www.thepetitionsite.com/animal-welfare/all
Old 11-18-2015, 11:25 PM
Heir Presumptive

It's a film. The timeline is usually collapsed for dramatic reasons. No getting around it, especially with a bit of fluff and froth like this. It's film short-hand.
Old 11-19-2015, 01:06 AM
Heir Presumptive

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zonk View Post
Call me crazy...but I enjoyed it!

Now don't get me wrong...I have seen the Charles and Diana movies [both versions of the romance and the movie that explained why it went all wrong], both William and Catherine movies and the Charles and Camilla movie. They are all cheesy and play loosey goosey with the facts. So this wasn't that much of a surprise.

That being said, for someone who wasn't around when Mary met and married Frederik, it was nice to see an "interpretation" of how it happened. I think the movie got a couple of things right [i.e. how they met, the struggle to over come the long distance romance, dealing with the press, etc.) and I am sure things they got wrong (i.e.. proposing on the side of the highway, the ambivalence of Joachim and Alexandria (where they ever happy?), the lack of assistance by the Queen, etc.

The movie didn't take itself too seriously.

As someone mentioned, with all the terrible things happening in the world..it was nice to escape into a world where a boy met a girl and fell in love.

Exactly how I felt about it. If you don't go in expecting a documentary and you want a fun movie to have a glass of wine with- it does the job.

And I liked that there wasn't anything really malicious in it. The portrayal of Margrethe was a little harsh but they didn't make her horrible. The bit about her illustrating Lord of the Rings after asking Mary to see the film was funny. And Henrik was hilarious- A++, would watch again.

Sent from my iPhone using The Royals Community mobile app
Old 11-28-2015, 01:11 PM
Majesty

"Mary: The Making of a Princess" (2015) - Network Ten Australia Telemovie

Quote:
Originally Posted by HRHHermione View Post
Exactly how I felt about it. If you don't go in expecting a documentary and you want a fun movie to have a glass of wine with- it does the job.

And I liked that there wasn't anything really malicious in it. The portrayal of Margrethe was a little harsh but they didn't make her horrible. The bit about her illustrating Lord of the Rings after asking Mary to see the film was funny. And Henrik was hilarious- A++, would watch again.

Sent from my iPhone using The Royals Community mobile app
This was also my response to the film. I didn't expect a documentary, and found the film rather enjoyable. Mary came across as someone who doesn't do things halfway and I think that's what makes her a good royal in real life. She embraced her new situation, learned the language and culture of her new home and endeared herself to the Danish people. I don't think her posture or conduct make her a snob at all. I've met her back in 2011 and she came across as someone who is shy rather than aloof. She knows when she has to put on her 'royal' face and when to tone it down. Her interactions with children are always genuine. That may not be important to some, but to me that speaks volumes.

Sent from my iPad using The Royals Community mobile app

I'm not obsessed with royalty...I just think intensely about it.
Old 01-03-2016, 06:21 PM
Heir Presumptive

I watched it up until Mary moved to Denmark, the only thing I didn't like was the actor they chose for Fredrik. I am a more forgiving viewer because I am very interested in the relationship of Mary/Fredrik and Mette Marit/Haakon so anything I can get I am happy.
Jaqueline Bouvier Kennedy, September 12, 1953
Countess Stephanie of Belgium October 20, 2012
Old 01-04-2016, 09:21 AM
Royal Highness

Quote:
Letizia, Mary, Mathilde and Maxima used to be all crown princesses of similar age, so it is not surprising that they should bond easily. Then, however, Maxima became queen in 2013, followed by Mathilde and Letizia becoming queens in 2014, while Mary is still a crown princess. I agree with you that in all pictures and images where Mary is shown with those other aforementioned royal ladies, they seem to be quite close and friendly with one another, but I can't help thinking it must be awkward for Mary to have to curtsy to her "girlfriends" and to be given lower precedence (e.g. in seating etc.) in events such as weddings or state dinners. What do you guys think ?
Old 01-04-2016, 09:40 AM
Courtier

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mbruno View Post
. I agree with you that in all pictures and images where Mary is shown with those other aforementioned royal ladies, they seem to be quite close and friendly with one another, but I can't help thinking it must be awkward for Mary to have to curtsy to her "girlfriends" and to be given lower precedence (e.g. in seating etc.) in events such as weddings or state dinners. What do you guys think ?
Not really, no. She knows the game and her place and does it, I'm sure, automatically and without having any childish, petty thoughts about anything.... And she is not the only Crown Princess or Princess who has to do it as part of the "game".
Old 01-04-2016, 10:41 AM
Royal Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nordic View Post
Not really, no. She knows the game and her place and does it, I'm sure, automatically and without having any childish, petty thoughts about anything.... And she is not the only Crown Princess or Princess who has to do it as part of the "game".

She is not the only princess of age who is not queen, Victoria and Mette-Marit are in the same situation.
Old 01-04-2016, 11:23 AM
Nobility

If Mary or any other royal never had a problem being curtsied to then she should not have a problem curtseying to royals who outrank her, although I can see there being awkwardness if Mary is Prince Charles' age. Mary did not seem to have a problem curtseying to Willem-Alexander and Maxima when they visited Denmark last year. She also seems to have a comfortable relationship with Queen Mathilde.
Old 01-04-2016, 12:16 PM
Royal Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blog Real View Post
She is not the only princess of age who is not queen, Victoria and Mette-Marit are in the same situation.
Victoria is actually about five to six years younger than Mary/Letizia/Maxima. Mette-Marit, on the other hand, doesn't seem to be as close to other non-Scandinavian royals as Mary is and she also strikes me as a naturally humble person (maybe due to her background), quite unlike Mary.
Old 01-04-2016, 12:20 PM
Royal Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by Queen Claude View Post
If Mary or any other royal never had a problem being curtsied to then she should not have a problem curtseying to royals who outrank her, although I can see there being awkwardness if Mary is Prince Charles' age. Mary did not seem to have a problem curtseying to Willem-Alexander and Maxima when they visited Denmark last year. She also seems to have a comfortable relationship with Queen Mathilde.
Curtsying is just one aspect of it. What I meant is that Mary was in a situation where she was relatively close to other princesses of her age and, in the space of one or two years, many of those girlfriends of hers all of sudden outrank her as queen consorts. Again, that must be umcomfortable for her, at least sometimes.

Tags
australia, crown prince frederik, crown princess mary, denmark, movie, television programme