"Mary, Queen of Scots" (2018) - Film on Mary, Queen of Scots and Elizabeth I

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Margot Robbie on set as Queen Elizabeth I

https://goo.gl/images/EKS7j3

Cast
Saoirse Ronan as Mary, Queen of Scots
Margot Robbie as Queen Elizabeth I
David Tennant as John Knox
Jack Lowden as Lord Darnley
Martin Compston as The Earl of Bothwell
Joe Alwyn as Lord Robert Dudley
Brendan Coyle as Matthew Stewart, 4th Earl of Lennox
Maria-Victoria Dragus as Lady Mary Fleming
Gemma Chan as Elizabeth Hardwick,Countess of Shrewsbury
Ismael Cruz Cordova as Sir David Rizzio
Alex Beckett as Sir Walter Mildmay

Was hoping we'd see Lady Margaret Douglas or some of the French Court ,Catherine de Medici,Charles IX ,Duc and Cardinal de Guise.

Saoirse Ronan, cast to play Mary Stuart, looks exactly the way I picture Elizabeth I in my mind's eye.

And Margot Robbie looks the way I think of the Queen of Scots. :sad:

It seems a major case of miscasting but I hope I am wrong. Anyway I am very eager to see this film.;)

I'm not holding out much hope for this project either ;)

Here's the official trailer

Last edited:
Saoirse Ronan, cast to play Mary Stuart, looks exactly the way I picture Elizabeth I in my mind's eye.

And Margot Robbie looks the way I think of the Queen of Scots. :sad:

It seems a major case of miscasting but I hope I am wrong. Anyway I am very eager to see this film.;)

Strange, I thought exactly the same way! Having heard about this movie´s historic inaccuracies does not really motivate me to spend money on a cinema ticket...

Indeed...almost every major biography of Mary mentions her distinctive French accent, which she never lost...:ermm:

The Guise influence which is so often overlooked that she spent half of her life in France under the influence of mothers powerful brothers!

Yes, and if they can't get that right, what other inaccuracies are ther going to be? Still, it is a film not a documentary. I'm pleased it's finally ready for release. The filming seemed to be going on for ever!

David Tennant best known as Dr Who was a strange choice for as John Knox,the movie opens in the USA on December 7th and mid January in UK/Ireland.

I dont understand why some refuse to get that right. The only place I remember hearing her with a French accent was in the HBO miniseries on Elizabeth. I'm not a stickler for history but I wanted to jab a pencil in my ear hearing that horrible accent of hers in Elizabeth The Golden Age.

Would love had they given some screen time to Mary's mother or mother in law to give emphasis to the French connections.

Only time I've seen Mary portrayed as beautiful is in Reign and the movie Mary QOS with Vanessa Redgrave.

I found the Regrave film on Hoopla last night, an app linked to libraries in the US. It is so corny lol...kind of hard to watch. Reminds me of the 50’s Hollywood era films, all bright colors and flashy dress, very little substance. But still, I will watch just about film or doc about royals. Looking forward to his new version, though not sure I will see it in a theater, probably wait a year to watch at home. No one I know has any interest in historical films :( and I have not gone to a movie in probably 15 years.

Watched the 2013 version tonight. Did not like. Too fantasical and dreamlike in parts, also had Mary desperately in love with Bothwell from before Darnley’s murder.

This is going to be the old, 'beautiful, tragic Scottish heroine Mary killed by evil, old English Elizabeth' isn't it? It's about the only acceptable narrative in SNP-run Scotland these days for their history. I have a feeling I'll be giving it a pass.

The reviews are not favorable for the Mary Queen of Scots movie.

BBC - Culture - Film review: Mary Queen of Scots

I may watch it when it is free on Prime someday...but to be honest, it sounds fairly awful. Historical films should be historical, to me. Even if history was terrible, unjust, racist, etc...it is history. Inserting Asian characters makes little sense in 16th century British history, unless they are the rare servant or royal of some sort. And all these films insist on showing Elizabeth and Mary meeting...:(

The reviews are not favorable for the Mary Queen of Scots movie.

BBC - Culture - Film review: Mary Queen of Scots

That was one of the funniest movie reviews I've read in quite a while. It almost makes me want to see the movie, but not quite. I have never seen a film about Mary, Queen of Scots that didn't take huge liberties with the facts, and you can gloss over that if the screenplay and actors are solid, but this one just sounds like a hot mess.

Yeah that review was my favorite. Much more interesting than the movie itself sounds. I will stick to rewatching Elizabeth 1, or PBS Virgin Queen...

Figures. I got my hopes raised really high for this one...*sigh*:bang:

Figures. I got my hopes raised really high for this one...*sigh*:bang:

I had, also. I have yet to see a decent version of this event. Some of the Elizabeth films or series do better with it than the Mary ones. But even the Helen Mirren film shows them meeting...

I saw the film at the weekend and enjoyed it more than I thought I would; particularly Saoirse Ronan's portrayal of Mary. I did however find the meeting of the two queens odd, since if they had actually met in real life I presume it would have been conducted in an official way - not as a state visit, but it would've been an audience in front of delegates or politicians IMO. Not in a random cottage in the middle of the forest in secret - though I guess that plays up the drama of the situation a little more and makes for a more interesting and entertaining watch. It was also a bit anticlimatic because it was almost as if the film said "oh, we've met, so now I'm going to kill you" since nothing happened between their relationship after the meeting except that it prompted Mary's execution.
I also thought Mary would've had more of a French accent in real life considering that she spent most of her time in France. I did like the usage of French in the film but I doubt she would have actually had a Scottish accent (and most of the Scottish aristocrats nowadays have English accents even still, so I presume that had Mary been raised in Scotland she would've had the same).

Last edited:
The fictional meeting of the 2 queens also featured in the 1971 movie staring Glenda Jackson and Vanessa Redgrave .

I was desperate to see this film when I first heard about it...but now I am persuaded to wait until I can see it on NetFlix.:lol::ermm:

The BBC's Mark Kermode reviews Mary,Queen of Scots .

OK, I just saw a clip of the movie. Please tell me one of Elizabeth's advisors is noy a black man!!!! I don't know whether to be more insulted as a black woman or a historian!

Yes, Elizabeth I's envoy is a black man! Not only that, Xenia, but Lord Darnley swings both ways, so to speak, and has an affair with David Rizzio! Mary's life IMO was fascinating enough without gratuitous bits of pseudo history being introduced by film-makers.

And Bess of Hardwick is Asian lol.
This is the first Tudor era film I have no desire to see. What a shame they had to go so wildly PC so as to take the era completely out of context and stick to the old rubbish of Mary and Elizabeth meeting as well...no thank you. Historical truth is far more interesting that anything filmmakers can dream up yet they still do it.

Yes, Elizabeth I's envoy is a black man! Not only that, Xenia, but Lord Darnley swings both ways, so to speak, and has an affair with David Rizzio! Mary's life IMO was fascinating enough without gratuitous bits of pseudo history being introduced by film-makers.

Elizabeth's Black envoy is of course absurd, but I have read several biographies of Mary that speculated that Darnley was not only effeminate, but probably bi-sexual as well.

Back
Top Bottom