"Mary, Queen of Scots" (2013) - Historical Film

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Reviews haven't been great. However, that didn't stop me purchasing it a week ago. ! I'm saving it to watch over Christmas (along with a few other films).

I bought it because a) it's about Mary and b) it features Anuerin Barnard as Darnley. I like him as an actor. I especially liked him as Richard (Duke of Gloucester / Richard III in "The White Queen".

Mary Queen of Scots [DVD]: Amazon.co.uk: Camille Rutherford, Sean Biggerstaff, Aneurin Barnard, Thomas Imbach: DVD & Blu-ray
Let us know about your impressions after you watch it, Breffney, if you don't mind ;)

I find Mary historical character and life very attractive (and, just like you, I loved Aneurin Barnand at TWQ), so I'm planning purchasing the movie as well for Christmas :flowers:

I'm going to need new dosis of historical drama for the next times...

Let us know about your impressions after you watch it, Breffney, if you don't mind ;)

I find Mary historical character and life very attractive (and, just like you, I loved Aneurin Barnand at TWQ), so I'm planning purchasing the movie as well for Christmas :flowers:

I'm going to need new dosis of historical drama for the next times...

Will definately let you know my impressions, An Ard Ri. In fact, I don't think that I can wait now until Christmas to view it. !! ;) :D

Will definately let you know my impressions, An Ard Ri. In fact, I don't think that I can wait now until Christmas to view it. !! ;) :D

I didn't wait. !! Have just watched it. ! I'm glad that I watched it but it didn't engage me as much as I hoped it would.

A good bit of the dialogue is in French with English subtitles. Of course, this makes sense as Mary grew up, for the most part, in France. The French speaking occurs when Mary is in France, when she is with her ladies' maids and in her frequent thoughts as she composes numerous letters to her cousin, Elizabeth.

If I didn't have a basic knowledge of her story before watching the film I think that I would have been a bit lost as some events moved at a rapid pace without much explanation as to what had happened.

The actress who played Mary, Camille Rutherford, was wonderful. Anuerin Barnard's screen time was relatively short.

I'm not a fan of Mary as a historical figure; a woman who makes that many mistakes doesn't get my sympathy. I am a fan of Aneurin because of the White Queen and I don't like that he has to play Darnley, but he did do a good job playing Richard who is another hated and maligned historical figure. I hope the actress didn't speak with a Scottish accent, that's what they did in Elizabeth TGA and it made me want to punch the screen.

I'm not a fan of Mary as a historical figure; a woman who makes that many mistakes doesn't get my sympathy. I am a fan of Aneurin because of the White Queen and I don't like that he has to play Darnley, but he did do a good job playing Richard who is another hated and maligned historical figure. I hope the actress didn't speak with a Scottish accent, that's what they did in Elizabeth TGA and it made me want to punch the screen.
No, Camille didn't speak with a Scottish accent. I believe that she is French but that one of her parents is English. ??

Back
Top Bottom