The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Go Back   The Royal Forums > Royal Highlights > Royal Library > The Electronic Domain

Join The Royal Forums Today

Old 10-23-2006, 01:05 AM
Royal Highness

I saw the movie on Friday when it came out and I was very disappointed. It isn't so much a movie but a bunch of scenes with music in the background. The movie's only saving grace are the splendid costumes.

Old 10-23-2006, 06:53 AM
Heir Apparent

Most of the reviews have criticised the movie for being superficial and concentrating on appearance and costume.
Whilst it would be interesting to see a film with historical depth, sometimes it's enjoyable to watch a period drama that is light and frothy. After all, we all know what happened to her so I'm glad the film is concentrating on the "fun" side. I'll probably see it, but only for the costumes which I've heard are magnificent.

Old 10-29-2006, 01:07 AM
Royal Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by Little_star
Most of the reviews have criticised the movie for being superficial and concentrating on appearance and costume.
Whilst it would be interesting to see a film with historical depth, sometimes it's enjoyable to watch a period drama that is light and frothy. After all, we all know what happened to her so I'm glad the film is concentrating on the "fun" side. I'll probably see it, but only for the costumes which I've heard are magnificent.
The costumes are magnificent. It's eye-candy especially for royal watchers. However, I was expecting at least a little depth. They didn't have to show her death but they could have added in a little more substance than "She's spending so much and partying".

Besides the costumes, I did think using actual paintings of Marie Antoinette in the movie was pretty interesting especially since I studied them in Art History.
Old 10-30-2006, 04:03 PM
Serene Highness

has anyone seen the movie? if so, what did u think?
Old 10-30-2006, 05:19 PM
Commoner

This is a woman who was basically thrown into an arranged marriage, and at such a young age. Some of her actions were not the best to act on, but I can understand her position with being so young...and then being Queen of France not to long after. Nobody can really label this woman as anything, because only those that had the honor to know her will know her and label her.
Old 10-30-2006, 05:22 PM
Commoner

The movie was okay but I think I just enjoyed the costumes and shoes the most. I have a question, maybe even a silly one, but does anyone know today who the living descendents are of this family? Did Marie's daughter ever have children ? Confusing........
Old 10-31-2006, 04:23 AM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by soCal girl
The costumes are magnificent. It's eye-candy especially for royal watchers. However, I was expecting at least a little depth. They didn't have to show her death but they could have added in a little more substance than "She's spending so much and partying".

Besides the costumes, I did think using actual paintings of Marie Antoinette in the movie was pretty interesting especially since I studied them in Art History.
I'm going to see it tomorrow, but I'll keep your comments in mind about lack of depth. Having heard that from so many different people I'm not expecting too much!
Is the soundtrack as good as the reviews suggest?

BTW, whot's the guy in your avatar? He's very good-looking!
Old 10-31-2006, 07:15 PM
Royal Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by Little_star
I'm going to see it tomorrow, but I'll keep your comments in mind about lack of depth. Having heard that from so many different people I'm not expecting too much!
Is the soundtrack as good as the reviews suggest?

BTW, whot's the guy in your avatar? He's very good-looking!
I hope you enjoy the movie! I've heard that the soundtrack is very good but after watching the movie, I don't know if it's worth it to go out and buy it.

Ahhh, my avatar . It's a Korean actor named Lee Dong Wook.
Old 10-31-2006, 08:49 PM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by bgnparisgurl
The movie was okay but I think I just enjoyed the costumes and shoes the most. I have a question, maybe even a silly one, but does anyone know today who the living descendents are of this family? Did Marie's daughter ever have children ? Confusing........
There are no direct descendants of Louis XVI & Marie-Antoinette (not known anyhow).

The first of four children, Marie-Thérèse-Charlotte de France, La Princesse Royale (Madame Royale), Madame la Duchesse d'Angoulême was the last of her immediate family and died in 1851, ending a life of imposed (sometimes self) exile. She bore no children.
Old 11-01-2006, 09:01 AM
Aristocracy

I saw the movie, and it was great. However, historically speaking, this movie was made to show Marie-Antoinette's perspective through her sheltered world. I didn't think Kristin Dunstin could pull it off, but she was pretty convincing. For anyone who loves royalty itself, will enjoy this movie. Oh, and keep a watch for the blue sneakers!
Old 11-01-2006, 06:09 PM
Aristocracy

i got the cd and i personally think its one of the best soundtracks ever. its very catchy and i like the song order.
Old 11-03-2006, 10:13 PM
Heir Apparent

Unfortunately, those of us in Australia who wish to see the film must wait until Boxing Day (I really dont like the difference in release dates compared to the States and Europe) this year
Old 11-14-2006, 03:41 PM
Courtier

This new Marie Antionette film is a remake of the 1938 film I don't know who were the orinigal cast but I look and find it out.And as for Marie Antionette it is hard to gain the trust of people when your a foreigner from another country and a totally other royal family then learning a whole different lanuage that is a lot to absorb in such a small amount of time what a world wind for her.

I'm head of a dynastic house no matter what others say.
Princess Kamorrissa,Countess of Welle
Old 11-14-2006, 05:54 PM
Serene Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by Next Star
This new Marie Antionette film is a remake of the 1938 film I don't know who were the orinigal cast but I look and find it out.And as for Marie Antionette it is hard to gain the trust of people when your a foreigner from another country and a totally other royal family then learning a whole different lanuage that is a lot to absorb in such a small amount of time what a world wind for her.
The two films cover the same subject matter but I would not call Sofia Coppola's movie a remake. The 1938 film was based on Stefan Zweig's biography while the 2006 film is based on a more recent biography by Antonia Fraser (who presents M-A in a more sympathetic light than Zweig).
Information on the 1938 movie:
http://www.us.imdb.com/title/tt0030418/
Old 11-15-2006, 03:17 AM
Commoner

I can't wait for this movie to come out in Australia - Boxing Day! I also have to wait that long for 'The Queen' to come out. They both come out on the same day in Australia.

I've heard rave reviews and bad reviews for this movie, it seems like one of those movies everyone has a different opinion. I suppose I'll just have to wait to see it to make up my mind!
Old 11-16-2006, 07:50 PM
Royal Highness
Royal Blogger, TRF Author

I haven't seen this movie... but I have often wondered how the Empress Maria Theresa could have mothered such an incompetent daughter. Maybe the answer is lack of actual contact between the Empress and her children.
Old 11-16-2006, 09:30 PM
Aristocracy

I watched the movie and I enjoyed the costumes and the music -- but I would have preferred that they were independent of each other. I knew that Copolla meant for it to be artsy (and it was the curiosity of how she was going to pull it enticed me to watch the movie); but in the end, I am still a traditionalist at heart. It was quite an experience though to be able to think that you've gone to 2 different movies when you: close your eyes and just listen to the sound VS. concentrate in the visuals and defean yourself from the music.

Beyond the style... if it was the movie's intention to portray events from Marie Antoinette's perspective, I am not surprised that they did not show scenes from the streets... IMO, I think that that in itself allowed Copolla to show how detached Marie Antoinette was from the life outside of Versailles.
Old 11-17-2006, 08:25 PM
Heir Apparent
TRF Author

Quote:
Originally Posted by iowabelle
I haven't seen this movie... but I have often wondered how the Empress Maria Theresa could have mothered such an incompetent daughter. Maybe the answer is lack of actual contact between the Empress and her children.
I think Marie Antoinette was the 18th of Maria Theresa's children. That explains a lot. Franz Joseph, her heir and the older children seemed a little more serious but Maria Antonia (as she was called before her engagement) was a younger child and apt to be spoiled.
"One thing we can do is make the choice to view the world in a healthy way. We can choose to see the world as safe with only moments of danger rather than seeing the world as dangerous with only moments of safety."
-- Deepak Chopra
Old 11-17-2006, 10:50 PM
Aristocracy

I thought it was ponderously boring. The worst movie I've seen all year. Kirsten Dunst should get her teeth fixed.
Old 11-18-2006, 12:00 AM
Serene Highness

i agree she needs to get her teeth fix, she has enough money.
marie antoinette wasnt the first choice for the throne of france. her sister who die from small pox was the first choice. unless im getting her mix up with another royal family