The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Go Back   The Royal Forums > Royal Highlights > Royal Library > The Electronic Domain

Join The Royal Forums Today

Old 06-12-2014, 09:46 AM
Majesty

"Majesty and Mortar: Britain's Great Palaces" BBC Four Series 2014

Majesty and Mortar: Britain's Great Palaces- BBC Four's 3-Part Series: 9PM UK Time- Wednesday June 18th

"Royal palaces are the most magnificent buildings in our history. Often built to extraordinary levels of luxury and excess, they express the personalities of our kings and queens since 1066.

From the Tower of London to Hampton Court Palace, Dan Cruickshank reveals an extraordinary story of buildings, often fortified, that cemented the monarch's claim to the throne. Palaces that reveal our monarchs like no other buildings - their taste for luxury, their fear of the mob, even their relationship with God. Palaces have been caught up in some of the most dramatic events in history - some survive in all their magnificence like Hampton Court while others have vanished from the surface of the earth as completely as if they'd never existed."

BBC Four - Majesty and Mortar: Britain's Great Palaces, Towards an Architecture of Majesty

Dr. Maya Angelou
Old 06-12-2014, 06:53 PM
Super Moderator
Royal Blogger

Thanks for posting,I saw an advert for this earlier and meant to post,it looks very interesting!

Old 06-17-2014, 04:11 PM
Majesty

Towards an Architecture of Majesty- BBC Four- Tomorrow at 9pm BST
BBC Four - Majesty and Mortar: Britain's Great Palaces, Towards an Architecture of Majesty

Dr. Maya Angelou
Old 06-18-2014, 04:16 PM
Majesty

On Now Live:
tvpc.com - ITV 1

Dr. Maya Angelou
Old 06-25-2014, 11:45 AM
Majesty

Inventing a National Style: BBC Four Today 9PM BST-
Dan Cruickshank charts the arrival of a new style of palace that borrowed from ancient Rome and beyond, as the kings and queens of Britain demanded that architecture proclaim their right to rule, and even their divinity. From London's Banqueting House to the birth of Buckingham Palace via Kensington, Kew and a new wing at Hampton Court, the palace became like a bejewelled casket to house the monarch. But disaster was around the corner and Britain learned that a palace could transform into a prison overnight-
BBC Four - Majesty and Mortar: Britain's Great Palaces, Inventing a National Style

Dr. Maya Angelou
Old 06-25-2014, 02:43 PM
Super Moderator
Royal Blogger

Kings,Queens and Bishops ...most notably Henry of Blois,Bishop of Winchester and brother of King Stephen.He certainly lived like a Prince!
Old 06-25-2014, 04:20 PM
Majesty

On Now Live:
tvpc.com - BBC 4

Dr. Maya Angelou
Old 06-25-2014, 05:22 PM
Majesty

I wish the series would've showed a bit more of Kensington Palace. I really like the intimacy of Kew Palace.

Dr. Maya Angelou
Old 06-25-2014, 05:26 PM
Super Moderator
Royal Blogger

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dman View Post
I wish the series would've showed a bit more of Kensington Palace. I really like the intimacy of Kew Palace.
Kew Palace and Gardens are one of my favourite historic royal palaces.
Old 06-26-2014, 04:56 PM
Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by An Ard Ri View Post
Kew Palace and Gardens are one of my favourite historic royal palaces.
My favorites are Buckingham Palace and Windsor Castle. We see very little of Sandringham House and Balmoral Castle. They both look to be very cozy and warm homes and I would like to see more of them.

I really like the idea of country estates. I grew up in the city and when I was a kid, I couldn't imagine not living in the city. Now that I've grown older, the country life really appeals to me. I think if I lived or visited some of those grand royal country estates, I probably wouldn't want to leave.

Dr. Maya Angelou
Old 06-26-2014, 05:54 PM
Heir Apparent

Sandringham and Balmoral are not royal palaces.

This programme has been made in conjunction with Historic Royal Palaces (registered charity) and it has focused mainly on their responsibilities because they had access to them.

the 3rd programme is more about HRP and maintenance judging by the last couple of minutes of the programme. Should be interesting.

Enjoying it but if I could lay my hands on the fool who put the sound together (along with the director) I'd brain them. The background music is louder than the soft spoken Dan. So easy to fix. BBC are losing production techniques - this is also happening on other programmes.

This precious stone set in the silver sea,......
This blessed plot, this earth, this realm, this England,
Old 07-02-2014, 03:54 PM
Majesty

Part 3 On Now Live:
tvpc.com - BBC 4

Dr. Maya Angelou
Old 07-02-2014, 05:51 PM
Heir Presumptive

Quote:
Originally Posted by cepe View Post
Sandringham and Balmoral are not royal palaces.
Cepe is spot on. They are Royal Residences. This is another modernism that is hard for me to remember: see http://www.royal.gov.uk/TheRoyalResi...esChannel.aspx

If we can believe Wikipedia - these are English palaces: List of palaces - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

and below that are the Scots palaces.

Just because you are a royal and you live there - it does not make it a palace.
“The two important things I did learn were that you are as powerful and strong as you allow yourself to be, and that the most difficult part of any endeavor is taking the first step, making the first decision"Robyn Davidson
Old 07-06-2014, 05:29 PM
Super Moderator
Royal Blogger

The history of the mall/Victoria monument and the rebuilding of the facade of Buckingham Palace was fascinating to watch.