"The Real Camilla: HRH the Duchess of Cornwall" (2018) - ITV Documentary

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Nico

Heir Apparent
City
Paris
Country
France
At last a long-awaited documentary about Camilla .

Monday, 23. April

Documentary The Real Camilla: HRH the Duchess of Cornwall to air | Daily Mail Online

This gentle portrait of Britain’s future Queen Consort from Jane Treays (The Queen’s Green Planet) allows us to peek into the life of a woman who’s relatively little known, considering for how long she was at the eye of a storm that rocked the monarchy.

The Real Camilla: HRH the Duchess of Cornwall - what time is it on TV? Cast list and preview.

Last edited:
Nicely done, and it didn't pass over some sensitive subjects...
I always thought that Camilla needed to be heard.... and known !

A thoroughly nice and sincere Woman, whose genuine interest in others shone through in this programme. She will make a fine Queen Consort, when the day eventually dawns.

It was a very nice and relaxing documentary. Camilla is rather frank in her personal remarks and I just find that very refreshing.

Read the comments and you get the exact opposite view.

Read the comments and you get the exact opposite view.

Of course you'll get the opposite view : It's the Daily Mail comments section lol
They hate Camilla, maybe not as much as Meghan nowadays, when they don't call other members of the BRF "freeloaders". So is it a reliable source ? Your choice..
I'm more interested in the comments on Twitter, and the overall reactions about the documentary...

Last edited:

The simple fact that the documentary referred to Camilla as the future “ Queen consort “ suggests it was produced with the approval of Team Charles. I would take it with a grain of salt, as I do with all obviously biased reporting.

The simple fact that the documentary referred to Camilla as the future “ Queen consort “ suggests it was produced with the approval of Team Charles. I would take it with a grain of salt, as I do with all obviously biased reporting.

Did you see it ?
I mean OF COURSE it's some PR from Charles's camp. But is there anything wrong about that ?
After years and years of biased documentary, and books, about how the "Rotweiller" was, i do think it was a bit of refreshing to see, and hear for the first time, a much maligned woman in her own words, in a hope, maybe a bit vain,to gain a balanced and enlightened opinion about her.

And this documentary wasn't shy about Diana, the failed mariages and the sometimes difficult public image of Camilla. It was honnest. So if it's indeed a product from Team Charles, it was very well done.

Last edited:

I'm not sure why you say this. It is a simple fact that Camilla is the future "Queen consort."

Did you see it ?

No, I did not, but the use of the term “Queen consort” implies it is sanctioned by Clarence House. An impartial documentary wouldn’t use that designation when the question of Camilla’s title has not been settled yet and, until recently, the official ” intention” that she would be styled “Princess Consort” instead.

No, I did not, but the use of the term “Queen consort” implies it is sanctioned by Clarence House. An impartial documentary wouldn’t use that designation when the question of Camilla’s title has not been settled yet and, until recently, the official ” intention” that she would be styled “Princess Consort” instead.

When she married Charles, it was announced that they intended that she would be known as "princess consort." However, my understanding is that Camilla will legally be Queen consort, as she is the legal Princess of Wales now. She has simply chosen to use another title.

Last edited:
Regardless of whether you are on Team Charles or Team let's get rid of the Monarchy, it will take an act of parliament to change her destiny and the government are not looking to make the UK look small, mean and petty at a time they have HM sending her family on charm offensives post Brexit.

that's what was said - by the Sunday Times Royal Reporter. That she will be Queen Consort - regardless of whether she is known as Princess Consort or not.

Because you haven't seen it, I don't think you are in a position to judge the programme. You have an opinion on Camilla naturally, but that is different to judging the programme tonight.

I thought it fairly balanced - the royal authors and historians were straightforward, some friends gushed a bit, and Camilla came across as direct and positive person.

Don't think it will change many people's mind though

The rage seen in comments could stem from the initial statement when Camilla and Charles were married; the public pronouncement was she was going to be Princess Consort when Charles becomes king. If that was never the intention then the announcement should never have been made. Now it looks like Clarence House has put one over on the public all these years and it's going to be harder to accept the name change when the time comes.

Of course you'll get the opposite view : It's the Daily Mail comments section lol
They hate Camilla, maybe not as much as Meghan nowadays, when they don't call other members of the BRF "freeloaders". So is it a reliable source ? Your choice..
I'm more interested in the comments on Twitter, and the overall reactions about the documentary...

Actually there are a number of commentators on the DM that are fans of Camilla.Sometimes they get massive green votes and other times massive red ones.

Any one who claims to do research as part of their job - as I do - knows that you have to read all sides to get a full picture not just those that agree with you.

Often the DM has some very good articles and well researched ones. Others are just dross.

To completely write off a source is not what a good researcher ever does because we know that often, even in the dross, there is good stuff.

The paper itself isn't a 'source' but the articles in them are - and you need to look at who the authors are and what barrow they are trying to push.

Twitter comments are no better than the comments in the DM for the most part as again they are largely anonymous (anyone can create an account on twitter and claim to work for an organisation - and once they have been 'approved' and can prove that the name and account aren't theirs twitter still won't shut down the false account - my brother, and his employers, have been trying to get a twitter account created in his name and 'approved' by his employer shut down for three years and twitter says 'no our problem - anyone can create any account and we just approve - we don't check'. That is why I don't have not trust a twitter account and wouldn't use it as a 'reliable source' as a researcher.

Last edited:
I watched it, and followed the comments on 'Twitter' too.. they were OVERWHELMINGLY positive, with a marked absence of bitterly hostile 'Dianophiles'...

The rage seen in comments could stem from the initial statement when Camilla and Charles were married; the public pronouncement was she was going to be Princess Consort when Charles becomes king. If that was never the intention then the announcement should never have been made. Now it looks like Clarence House has put one over on the public all these years and it's going to be harder to accept the name change when the time comes.

The thing that some people fail to understand, including you, is that she will be legally Queen Consort. period. As she 's legally Princess of Wales. Now the title Camilla wants to be called is another matter. As such, as explained in the documentary (you have not missed i'm sure), it's still "intended" to call her Princess Consort , the exact words of the statement in 2005.

it will take an act of parliament to change her destiny

Not just the UK Parliament either.. all Parliaments in the other Realms and Territories too, and SIMULTANEOUSLY ! The chances of that are [frankly] ZERO.

I've always had a sneaking suspicion that the statement made in 2005 with the intent that Camilla go by "Princess Consort" wasn't made to just placate the Dianaphiles but because at the time of the marriage, Camilla herself was skeptical of just how she would fit into royal life and the duties and responsibilities. Thirteen years on we see she has adapted to royal life marvelously.

As stated, it would take a whole lot of governmental time and energies to legally strip Camilla of being Queen Consort and I don't think that's going to happen. If they change it for one Queen Consort, it would be a ruling for *all* future Queen Consorts and not only specific to Camilla. People are already looking forward to a "Queen Catherine".

As for Camilla, I don't think it really matters to her one iota what she is called. She knows who she is. She's comfortable in her own skin and does what she needs to do with dignity and grace. Her main goal, to me, is to love and support her husband in all things and that's exactly what she does.

Just take a look and make your opinion (but it will not be online indefinitely).

Just take a look and make your opinion (but it will not be online indefinitely).

Thank you for posting that link, Nico. I enjoyed watching, and think that it was a nice and mostly positive overview of someone who has gotten more than her fair share of negative press during the Diana years.

Thank you for sharing the video Nico. It was the first time I'd ever seen anything focused upon Camilla and I agree that it was a very positive portrayal. ?

Interesting. I wasn't sure what I was going to see. :huh: Seems to be a direct statement as to Camilla's status once Charles is King: the unequivocal statement that she will be Queen, is stated many times, and that she may be called something else is another matter. Is this an attempt to get the public used to the fact that Camilla will indeed one day be Queen? Seems like.

Other than the above it's not clear that the hour long show had much more of a point. Basically it was the Diana/Camilla thing rolled out again, and in a very superficial way. JMO.

P.S. It was great seeing Camilla focussed on, though. :flowers: I am only sorry that she had to be seen through the 'Diana Troubles' lens. So unfair to her imo.

Last edited:
Interesting. I wasn't sure what I was going to see. :huh: Seems to be a direct statement as to Camilla's status once Charles is King: the unequivocal statement that she will be Queen, is stated many times, and that she may be called something else is another matter. Is this an attempt to get the public used to the fact that Camilla will indeed one day be Queen? Seems like.

Other than the above it's not clear that the hour long show had much more of a point. Basically it was the Diana/Camilla thing rolled out again, and in a very superficial way. JMO.

P.S. It was great seeing Camilla focussed on, though. :flowers: I am only sorry that she had to be seen through the 'Diana Troubles' lens. So unfair to her imo.

That’s because Camilla and Diana’s life story are forever linked. The media continue to make it a Camilla vs Diana thing, but at the end of the day, they were/are two women who famously fell in love with the same man. One story can’t be told without mentioning the each other. It is what it is!

I think both Camilla and Charles have moved on by accepting their life journey, while others are still in the 90’s, fighting a war that no longer have any principle participants.

Last edited:
The program is back online .... i guess for a limited amount of time as well.

Back
Top Bottom