The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Join The Royal Forums Today

Old 10-09-2016, 02:57 PM
Nobility

I must say, I'm pretty stunned at how successful this series has been. I expected it to be thoroughly trampled by Poldark which is on BBC1 at the same time but it's really held its own.

I've found friends and colleagues talking about it, despite being uninterested in royalty generally. It's not 100% faithful to the historical reality, of course, but then it's never claimed to be.

Old 10-12-2016, 05:49 PM
Super Moderator
Royal Blogger

Who tried to shoot Queen Victoria? The real story of the 1840 assassination attempt

Who tried to kill Queen Victoria in 1840? The real life tale of Edward Oxford's assassination attempt

Old 10-18-2016, 01:50 PM
Super Moderator
Royal Blogger

The Queen and Royal Family are ‘Huge Fans’ of ITV show, ‘Victoria’

The Queen and Royal Family are ‘Huge Fans’ of ITV show, ‘Victoria’ – Royal Central
Old 10-25-2016, 02:35 PM
Majesty

I have seen the first episode as a start of bingewatching but I am not impressed. It came nowhere close to the quality of Mrs Brown or the mise-en-scene of Downton Abbey.

I saw factual errors, the crown used for the Coronation looks like the one you can buy in the carnival shop. The characters of Kent, Conroy and Sussex are more sketchy than really worked-out.

I will see the second episode tonight. I hope it will be improved otherwise I will start for another series to bingewatch. That series War & Peace was a huge let-down as well. The French series Versailles is still awaiting for me.
Old 10-27-2016, 06:17 PM
Super Moderator
Royal Blogger

How ITV lost chance of a royal hit at Christmas: Bosses turned down the chance of a Victoria special because they didn't think it would be popular.

ITV bosses turned down chance of Victoria Christmas special | Daily Mail Online
Old 02-01-2017, 08:05 PM
Heir Presumptive

Can anyone recommend some good books on Victoria? I'm enjoying this series but don't know enough details about this queen to separate fact from fiction. Thanks very much!
Old 02-01-2017, 10:26 PM
Heir Apparent

Wikipedia recommends Walter L Arnstein's Queen Victoria and A N Wilson's Victoria: A Life, which are both published fairly recently and are well recommended on Amazon.
Old 02-02-2017, 11:42 AM
Heir Presumptive

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ish View Post
Wikipedia recommends Walter L Arnstein's Queen Victoria and A N Wilson's Victoria: A Life, which are both published fairly recently and are well recommended on Amazon.
Thanks very much
Old 02-15-2017, 03:39 PM
Heir Apparent

Victoria Season 2: ITV finally reveal FIRST photo from set of the new series | TV & Radio | Showbiz & TV | Express.co.uk
Old 02-24-2017, 04:40 PM
Majesty

Jenna Coleman begins filming for second series of Victoria | Daily Mail Online
Old 03-03-2017, 10:14 AM
Heir Apparent

Masterpiece PBS‏Verified account @masterpiecepbs
Walk the halls and explore #VictoriaPBS' Buckingham Palace set with this virtual interactive experience!

Victoria on MASTERPIECE on PBS
Old 05-05-2017, 06:15 AM
Majesty

"Writer Daisy Goodwin reveals the scandalous nature of the young monarch's diaries"

Throaty giggles flow from Daisy Goodwin as she points at a magnificent portrait of a well-endowed Prince Edward, Duke of Kent and Strathearn and father of Queen Victoria . “Sorry,” she says, “it’s not just the trouser bulge. He’s posing with a cannon. He’s keen to show his, erm, potency.” We’re on the set of Victoria, ITV’s eight-part drama about the British monarch, and writer and executive producer Goodwin is in chatelaine mode. “We use this for ceremonial events,” she says, sweeping through a gallery hot with candle-light and gilded to within an inch of its life.
The production is lavish; a full-size replica of Victoria’s state and private apartments in Buckingham Palace has been erected on an airfield in Yorkshire, and, by the looks of things, this queen was not of the Tupperware persuasion. “Actually,” says Goodwin, “what you see here had a lot to do with George IV’s taste. Buckingham Palace had been in the royal family since the 18th century, but George IV, the biggest, blingiest monarch of all time, was the one who really went for it.”

Writer Daisy Goodwin reveals whether Queen Victoria really was surprisingly sexy. Currently airing on BBC First in Australia
Old 05-05-2017, 07:13 AM
Super Moderator
Royal Blogger

Filming of Series 2 must be nearly wrapped up now ,roll on September!
Old 05-05-2017, 08:08 AM
Majesty

The first episode of this series is to be aired on Danish TV tomorrow.

Will you recommend it for someone like me who is interested in factual history?
In other words: Is it a fair and realistic portrayal of Queen Victoria and the people of her time?
Old 05-05-2017, 09:31 AM
Super Moderator
Royal Blogger

Quote:
Originally Posted by Muhler View Post

In other words: Is it a fair and realistic portrayal of Queen Victoria and the people of her time?
Maybe read some of the comments above

I always have an open mind towards these type of dramas and will always give them ago and if I find myself moaning about historical inaccuracies thats when I stop watching them
Old 05-05-2017, 02:18 PM
Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by An Ard Ri View Post
Maybe read some of the comments above

I always have an open mind towards these type of dramas and will always give them ago and if I find myself moaning about historical inaccuracies thats when I stop watching them
Thank you, I did read the comments. I also checked imdb.

Anyway, someone kindly PM'ed me.
Old 05-05-2017, 04:17 PM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by Muhler View Post

It's a fun portrayal. Not necessarily 100% historically accurate, but it is an enjoyable show that I think tries to stay within the myth of Victoria, if not always the actual reality.

I do find there's a bit too much on the servants side of things at times (almost like it's trying to be the next Downton Abbey), but overall it's enjoyable.
Old 05-05-2017, 04:28 PM
Super Moderator
Royal Blogger

Well do let us know what you think of the series and how it goes down in Denmark!
Old 05-14-2017, 04:10 PM
Majesty

Well, I've had a look at the series.

Jenna Coleman is physically well suited for the role as Queen Victoria and she's an experienced enough actor to carry the role.
For a uniform-nerd like me, there is plenty to look at and it's a pleasure to look at the details in regards to the sets and costumes. - And that is good because the pace is honestly a bit slow.
There are too few threads in the story to really capture an audience who are non-British or interested in history. And I don't quite understand the role of the servants. To hear the gossip among the servants is one thing, but why so much focus on them? Especially as there are so many other topics around 1840 that they could merit several threads.
So I'll label the series a slow romance. An intelligent chick-flick if you like.

As for the reception in Denmark. Well, historical dramas usually have a good audience, but they seem to have moved the series from prime time Saturday to prime time Sunday, so...

In conclusion: It has to step up in gear for me not to put on a documentary about Queen Victoria instead.
Old 05-14-2017, 07:33 PM
Heir Apparent

I'm veering just a bit off topic, but there is a point to it.
I think I first caught the UK royal bug watching London Weekend Television's Lillie in the late 70s. Lillie's interactions with the royals and court fascinated me, as did the setting (mainly) in the Victorian era. The costumes, historic references, casting were all very admirable at the time.
A couple of months ago, the series replayed over here and I watched it hoping to be as delighted as when I first saw it.
The costumes and the actors stood the test of time. The rest, well, let's just say there is a higher level of scholarship about the period and characters in 2017 than there was in 1978.
But I'd still happily watch Francesca Annis and Peter Egan stencil the walls all over again

And I bet 40 years from now, some of you will still be watching Jenna Coleman fuss about her hair and dog and will smile broadly.