"Isabel" (2012) - Spanish TV series about Isabella of Castile

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
He is Giacopo Antonio Venier: Giacopo Antonio Venier - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

If I recall it correctly, Rodrigo Borgia makes his stellar appearance on ep. 12, and he´s an important piece in the negotiations with the Pope to get the dispensation.

Ah thanks for the clarification,hmm as per Wikipedia Cardinal Venier was Enrique IV's Papal Ambassador but in the series he's in cahoots with the King of Aragon in the Papal dispensations ....politics!

So with or without the Papal Bull,Isabel and Ferdinand married,next weeks episode looks quite interesting and see's Joan of Portugal's return to court.

I found myself almost feeling sorry for Juan Pacheco in this latest episode and had to remind myself of all the scheming he has done. Is the portrayal of Gonzalo's fairly true - by this I mean was he as close to Isabel as shown in the series?

I found myself almost feeling sorry for Juan Pacheco in this latest episode and had to remind myself of all the scheming he has done. Is the portrayal of Gonzalo's fairly true - by this I mean was he as close to Isabel as shown in the series?

I felt sorry for his daughter but not for the Marquis,maybe he'll turn over a new leaf:D

Yes I wondered about that too,as per Wikipedia 'Gonzalo Fernández de Córdoba,after Alfonso's death in 1468, Córdoba devoted himself to Alfonso's sister, Isabella of Castile' .

Gonzalo Fernández de Córdoba - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

I have a guest pass to watch the season 2 finale live next Monday at a cinema in Madrid, with the director and the cast of the series.

So excited about that, this is the summum of my fangirling :lol:

I have a guest pass to watch the season 2 finale live next Monday at a cinema in Madrid, with the director and the cast of the series.

Annie that's amazing and I hope you are going! You must let us know how you get on!

Oh, WOW. !! That is so cool. I hope that you will be able to concentrate on the screen given that the stars will be so close to you. :D

Have a wonderful time. ! :flowers:

What a treat. Please let us all know your impressions.
We are hoping that Sky Arts will obtain the second season - not sure what the viewing figures are like outside Spain.

Thank you all, I´m sure it´ll be an enjoyable evening ;)

Breffney, I´m also thinking I´ll be more concentrate on the people around me than on the episode itself :lol: Hope the big screen will be enough to get my attention :D

We must be near the end of series 1 now on Sky Arts,the more this series goes on the least sympathy I have for Enrique IV .My opinions on his queen,Joan of Portugal have now changed,I feel very sorry for her situation!

I will so miss this series when it ends - which must be about Christmas time. I think we may have to wait quite a while for the second season - that's if Sky Arts decide to go with it. I thought the last episode was quite moving and agree that Enrique appears to be showing a much more vindictive side to his character and more "hands on " with defending his throne and lineage - a very dangerous maverick. I thought the tender episodes between Isabel and Ferdinand were done well without becoming too sentimental. Again the series makes me want to read wider and find out how genuine is the emotion which the two shared or was it just political expediency to make the marriage work.

Enrique IV is full on machiavellian of late,his intrigues would make Catherine de Médicis quiver!!

From Hola : Success at the end of the second season of 'Isabel'

Éxito en el final*de la segunda*temporada de 'Isabel' | Noticias hola.com
Well, I was there, and it was great :)
We could greet and photograph the actors and actresses, who were very nice with us. Then the director greeted us and presented the season finale.

It was amazing to see the episode at the cinema for once, though I found a little bit annoying the constant applause from the public during the most memorable scenes because sometimes I missed part of the text...but since I can watch it again on the website, it isn´t a big deal.

The episode was excellent, one of the best from both seasons, IMO (no spoilers, don´t worry), and at the end, we could watch a trailer from the third (and last) season, which is currently being filmed. And here I´ll only tell that the show becomes more "international" than ever, with Columbus´arrival to the New World, the marriages of Isabella´s children, and the Naples´wars (Charles VIII of France and Anne of Bretagne, the Habsbourg, the Tudors with Catherine´s marriage and, yes, also the Borgias, both Alexander VI and Cesare, made an appearance on the trailer).

And after all that the director, the screenwriter and some of the cast members came to the stage to talk about the season and answer questions from the public. They were Michelle Jenner (Isabel), Rodolfo Sancho (Ferdinand), Jordi Diaz (Andrés Cabrera) and members from season 2 cast: Alicia Borrachero, Alex Martinez and Roberto Enriquez.

All in all, I had a great time and enjoyed the details about the series we could learn. It was a beautiful experiece :)

Thank you for this - it sounds a wonderful occasion. The information about a third season was really interesting and pleasing to hear about the wide scope of events it will cover. Also good to hear that many of the major actors are staying for another series. I'm keeping everything crossed for a chance to see it all sometime in the future. (I wonder if there were representatives from Sky Arts at the event?!)

We could greet and photograph the actors and actresses, who were very nice with us. Then the director greeted us and presented the season finale.

It was amazing to see the episode at the cinema for once, though I found a little bit annoying the constant applause from the public during the most memorable scenes because sometimes I missed part of the text...but since I can watch it again on the website, it isn´t a big deal.

The episode was excellent, one of the best from both seasons, IMO (no spoilers, don´t worry), and at the end, we could watch a trailer from the third (and last) season, which is currently being filmed. And here I´ll only tell that the show becomes more "international" than ever, with Columbus´arrival to the New World, the marriages of Isabella´s children, and the Naples´wars (Charles VIII of France and Anne of Bretagne, the Habsbourg, the Tudors with Catherine´s marriage and, yes, also the Borgias, both Alexander VI and Cesare, made an appearance on the trailer).

And after all that the director, the screenwriter and some of the cast members came to the stage to talk about the season and answer questions from the public. They were Michelle Jenner (Isabel), Rodolfo Sancho (Ferdinand), Jordi Diaz (Andrés Cabrera) and members from season 2 cast: Alicia Borrachero, Alex Martinez and Roberto Enriquez.

All in all, I had a great time and enjoyed the details about the series we could learn. It was a beautiful experiece :)

Glad you enjoyed it Annie and I bet your looking forward to series 3 ;)

I'm really delighted that you had a great time. How wonderful to be able to meet and greet so many of the cast. :flowers:

Andrés Cabrera & his wife Beatriz are fast becoming two of my favourite characters in this series.

Only 2 episodes left now!!

Last edited:
The Irish Maria Doyle Kennedy last portrayed Katherine in the Tudors ,looking forward to seeing her being played by a Spanish actress this time round!
She did an amazing portrayal, one of the best on The Tudors, IMO.

She looked nothing like the real Katherine, though...

She did an amazing portrayal, one of the best on The Tudors, IMO.

She looked nothing like the real Katherine, though...

MKD was possibly the only good thing about that series,but I agree she looked nothing like Katherine of Aragon :D

The big screen seems to favour Katherine with dark hair!!

Last episode of Series 1 airs here this Friday night,looking forward to seeing the Marquis of Villena getting his comeuppances!!

I really enjoyed the final episode - and again it leaves me wanting to know more. How close were the deaths of Enrique and Pacheco, was there suspicious circumstances surrounding either of their deaths? This is just what historical dramas should do - make you want to find out more for yourself. I shall certainly be looking out for some biographies and historical fiction concerning some of these characters. I am going to miss this series.

Last edited:
The Marquis de Villena died on October 1st, 1474 and Enrique on the 11th of December 1474.

Pacheco's son,Don Diego is one to watch out for I think ;)

Thank you for the information - their deaths were close then and fittingly so given their childhood friendship and years of "ducking and diving " together. I agree about the son.

I'm looking forward to viewing Series 2 already,Sky Arts made no mention of its return but I'm hopeful!

Wanted to say thank you to posting about this show. I've caught up on Season 1 and I'm now on episode 3 of Season 2. I did find the series online :)

Back
Top Bottom