"Isabel" (2012) - Spanish TV series about Isabella of Castile

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
:previous: One thing that annoys me from "Isabel" (and I don´t want to make a "spoiler" here) is the way Juan II is despicted, as a kind old man, when we know he was a true villain.

Thankfully, they are changing that image in the second part, because it was :sick::mad::angry::angry:

:previous: One thing that annoys me from "Isabel" (and I don´t want to make a "spoiler" here) is the way Juan II is despicted, as a kind old man, when we know he was a true villain.

Thankfully, they are changing that image in the second part, because it was :sick::mad::angry::angry:

I've yet to see him but I'll let you know my thoughts on him ;)

So we got to meet Alfonso V of Portugal,still not liking the character of his sister,Queen Joan.

Juan Pacheco, Marquis of Villena and his scheming brothers are the real villians,Joan of Portugal is snow white compare to those guys!

Three episodes into the series and I am really enjoying it. I can't verify how accurately events and characters are portrayed, but others have posted to suggest it does pretty well. There are some very good actors and high production values ( wonderful costumes). I have always wanted to find out more about Isabel, and this is a perfect introduction.

Last edited:
I'd agree Elly C,the sets and costumes are really fantastic as is the acting,very impressed so far.The only annoying part is at the end where they show you a clip of the next episode while the theme music and credits are still playing.

Pedro Giron,lord of Belmonte is a totally despicable character .

I'd agree Elly C,the sets and costumes are really fantastic as is the acting,very impressed so far.The only annoying part is at the end where they show you a clip of the next episode while the theme music and credits are still playing. Pedro Giron,lord of Belmonte is a totally despicable character .
Yes, his demise was good to see - this is an example of where I would like to know if this is the generally accepted version of events. His brother, Juan Pacheco, is an intriguing character too.

Juan is almost machiavellian in his political dealings,his uncle the Archbishop seems to be the 'nicest' of the unholy trio ;)

I wonder if Enrique IV was as stubborn and indecisive in reality as he's portrayed in the series.He is lucky to have such loyal nobles as Beltrán de la Cueva and Diego de Mendoza,such a pity he never listens to their sound advice.

Poor Queen Joan having to fight off that creepy Bishop!

I don't quite understand the nature of Isabel 's mother's illness - she appeared to be alert and resonding to her children in this latest episode - is it a mental or physical condition?
Queen Joan seems to have had a largely unhappy and frustrating life.

About Isabella of Portugal, it seems her illness was mental, and her mental issues were inherited by her granddaughter Joanna.

On Wikipedia there is info about her last years and some interesting facts about the Alvaro de Luna issue, which is mentioned in the series.

Another interesting fact is that she was three years younger than her stepson, King Enrique IV.
Isabella of Portugal, Queen of Castile - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Another 'King's Favourite',I bet there were many that hoped Beltrán de la Cueva would end up with a similar downfall!

Bit of a slower episode last night following the death of Infante Alfonso.

As a curiosity, Victor Elias, who plays infante Alfonso on the series (short timing character, poor him :D), is related to Princess Letizia. His mother, who is also actress, is a second cousin of the Princess, I think.

As a curiosity, Victor Elias, who plays infante Alfonso on the series (short timing character, poor him :D), is related to Princess Letizia. His mother, who is also actress, is a second cousin of the Princess, I think.

Here's his wiki page (Spanish)

Víctor Elías - Wikipedia, la enciclopedia libre

Series 1 has 13 episodes which should take me right up to Christmas!

More awards for "Isabel": Michelle Jenner has won this year´s Best TV actress Ondas Award, for her portrayal of Queen Isabella.

Radio Galicia, Julia Otero, 'MasterChef' y Michelle Jenner, ganadores de los Ondas

The Ondas awards are the oldest and one of the most prestigious TV and radio awards in Spain, and the show received the award to the Best National TV series last year :)

And, as they´re filming already Season 3 :)clap:), today was confirmed the actress that will play Princess Joanna: Irene Escolar

http://24.media.tumblr.com/3adb8dac51ca1f99b8971ec48a8acfd3/tumblr_mvjku194pu1ro4t7go1_1280.jpg

And there are roumours that, if the ratings of series 2 and 3 are good enough, they might make a spin-off series about Joanna´s life after her mother´s death (series 3 will end with Isabella´s death).

That's really good news AnnieS,the spin off series sounds rather interesting!

Isabel of Portugal is in disgrace,Enrique IV is becoming more and more a most unlikable figure.The sooner the despicable Marquis of Villena falls from grace the better ,however his uncle Alfonso Carrillo,Archbishop of Toledo has redeemed himself!

It's such an enjoyable series. The characters are interesting because they are portrayed (rightly) as quite complex individuals which means you can't categorise them as totally good/bad. I hope the second series will be shown on SKY too.

It's such an enjoyable series. The characters are interesting because they are portrayed (rightly) as quite complex individuals which means you can't categorise them as totally good/bad. I hope the second series will be shown on SKY too.

I'm hoping that we'll get to see Series 2 also on Sky Arts.

That´s exactly what I´ve always loved about this show ;)

You´ll never find yourself joining one side or the other. And you understand and feel for each character regardless the team he/she is in.

It's very detailed - we're up to episode 5 and Isabella's still only ... 17, I think. Makes a nice change from series which rush through everything!

Yes its hard to believe at only 17 years old the future Isabella I had endured so much and the struggle she went through!

Queen Sofia, during an interview for her 75 Birthday, says "Isabel" is one of her favourite TV shows :D

Traductor de Google

But the Queen also has another appointment fixed with the TV that does not fail any Monday: the series 'Isabel'. As the protagonist, Sofia has so recorded the monarchical institution in DNA that is not separate to the Queen of the person. Like Isabel, she also puts the Crown to any personal feelings.
I always knew this series was watched in Zarzuela :lol:

So the Marqués de Villena has a wife and we got to see her last week.A lot going on last week and Isabel is finally playing her brother at his own game!

Isabel's bad dreams episode has been my least favourite so far.Is the Prelate negotiating with the Pope for a dispensation meant to be Cardinal Rodrigo Borgia ?

Back
Top Bottom