Interview with Frederik on TV2, 2008

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

norwegianne

Majesty
City
Rogaland
Country
Norway
Jes Dorph Petersen has been interviewing Frederik on Kongeskibet - about turning 40, the critique of IOC candidacy and other things. The interview will be transmitted on Danish TV2 on June 24.

Wow thats really soon considering we just got wind of it

TV Interview with Crown Prince Frederik

Last night there was an interview with the Crown Prince on Danish television. Here he talked about being a father, turning 40, being a husband and of course his candidateship for IOC. I don't know if the interview has popped up on the Internet yet. But I can give some of the headliners of the interview.

Becoming a father was a big turning point. He and Mary take care of them in the morning, where they eat breakfast together. Also the idea of taking the kids with them on the cruise on Dannebrog, was to stay together, although they're not with them during the day, they're on the ship, when Frederik and Mary returns. It's important for him to be a dad for his kids.

The reason for him taking an education at the University and later becoming a Seal, was because he wanted to (he's the first royal, who's taken a college degree).

When it came to the IOC candidateship. He talked about the fascination about the Olympics and that he wanted kids to be more interested in the Olympics.

Shortly after the interview was shown, there was a debate on the Danish news chanel, where the interview was discussed, I didn't see it all. But the downline was that the guests wasn't impressed by the interview. Especially when it came to his candidateship for the IOC came up. They thought that he didn't make it more clear of what he wanted to do if he should be elected.

They were also worried for when he became a king. As he's having problems in speaking. He gets nervous as soon the camera is on and he can't articulate proberly.

Just found some clips from the interview.
TV 2 Vip - Kronprinsen: Vi håber på at få flere børn

Translation
Clip One - About turning 40.

Doesn't see it as a sharp corner, more like a round corner.
He keep himself young through exersice.
Goals before turning 50 - he has a young family and to get the two kids on the right track, more focus on sport and IOC

clip 2 - about what you can do.
You can do more than you think.
If you don't have your mind into it, you can't do it physically.
Be able to be in the place of a professional athlete as he's tried it himself, what it takes through his time as a Navy Seal.

Clip 3 - Becoming a father
They've changed his life in any possible way.
They had asked everyone they knew about becoming parents, when they expected Christian.
But when it came down to it, they had to make their own experiences.
Have time with the kids. Have them through the night and in the morning.

Last edited:
BT's reporter gave her article on the interview the title: Some sort of nonsense... and I would have to agree. It's definitely one of the more boring interviews I've seen - both from the interviewer's side and the interviewee. Frederik looked and sounded insecure, and whenever he was thinking about what to say, he looked in a particular direction. His head went back and forth a lot.

BT's reporter gave her article on the interview the title: Some sort of nonsense... and I would have to agree. It's definitely one of the more boring interviews I've seen - both from the interviewer's side and the interviewee. Frederik looked and sounded insecure, and whenever he was thinking about what to say, he looked in a particular direction. His head went back and forth a lot.

I saw the program to and i think is sad to se how bad Frederik is in the spotligth..it is also sad to se how insecure Frederik is when ther was a question from my favorit reporter Jes Dorph Petersen..I think it woud help Frederik alot if he got a media trainer to help him when he is giving an interviwe.

The BT article posted by Norwegianne doesn't put Frederik nor the interview, on a whole, in a good light; it almost seems as if the journalist was hinting that the whole thing was simply pointless, and didn't do the Crown Prince any favors. According to the writer, the interview was "exhausting... like running a marathon" whilst watching Frederik chit chat about his life, goals, and whatnot. The author also notes that Jes Dorph-Petersen "was respectful"; however, I get the feeling Dorph's questions weren't exactly "hard pressing" nor "difficult/challenging."

Breezing through the article they note that during the interview, Frederik was completely awkward, very uncomfortable, and garbled responses, "Every other sentence he said 'in the sense', 'one can say,' or 'if you like'." Annoying.

After watching the short clips, posted by Mylius zu Schleiz, it seems that all Frederik needs is to enroll himself in public speaking classes (hence hire a personal tutor, asap.) Every public figure does it; even seasoned speakers, journalists, etc continue to master their communication skills and so forth... it's an ongoing process. If he doesn't, well...

Last edited:
I'm amazed by how uncomfortable and awkward Frederik was during the interview. And with that I mean body language etc, because I didn't understand a word of it. It just seems unbelieveble how a person who has been in the spotlights his whole life can be so insecure. Would he really never have had any sort of training at the palace, you know role plays in which he could practise? Very odd it is indeed!
As I said I can only judge from what I see as I don't understand a word of Danish, but judging from everyone's explanation it must have been nice to hear him talk about things like his experience as a father etc, right?

I had the same thought when I first watch him speak, it was when he went to New York with mary for couple days for business trip. I didn't feel like like watching the whole thing. Mary was more relaxed...hopefully he will get better by the time he will become King;)

I'm amazed by how uncomfortable and awkward Frederik was during the interview. And with that I mean body language etc, because I didn't understand a word of it. It just seems unbelieveble how a person who has been in the spotlights his whole life can be so insecure. Would he really never have had any sort of training at the palace, you know role plays in which he could practise? Very odd it is indeed!
As I said I can only judge from what I see as I don't understand a word of Danish, but judging from everyone's explanation it must have been nice to hear him talk about things like his experience as a father etc, right?

I don't konw what was going on during that interview. Bouth Frederik and the interviewer were awkward. Perhaps Black Adder was running aroung in the background:whistling:

Has any Danes seen the TV2 interview with Frederik with Jes Dorph Pedersen?
Are the clips that are floating around various articles today typical of the rest of the interview:ermm:

My particular favourite so far:
- Mary is a miracle of a woman - in one way or another:ohmy:

Are the clips that are floating around various articles today typical of the rest of the interview:ermm:

My particular favourite so far:
- Mary is a miracle of a woman - in one way or another:ohmy:

There were some interesting parts, but it was to a very large degree overshadowed by the performances.

I haven't seen the clips, but I would say that it is very likely that they are a representative selection of the interview.

For anyone getting Danish TV2 - it's re-running on Sunday at one.

Well, you have three people in this topic so far... and it's only page one.

The BT article posted by Norwegianne doesn't put Frederik nor the interview, on a whole, in a good light; it almost seems as if the journalist was hinting that the whole thing was simply pointless, and didn't do the Crown Prince any favors. According to the writer, the interview was "exhausting... like running a marathon" whilst watching Frederik chit chat about his life, goals, and whatnot. The author also notes that Jes Dorph-Petersen "was respectful"; however, I get the feeling Dorph's questions weren't exactly "hard pressing" nor "difficult/challenging."

Breezing through the article they note that during the interview, Frederik was completely awkward, very uncomfortable, and garbled responses, "Every other sentence he said 'in the sense', 'one can say,' or 'if you like'." Annoying.

After watching the short clips, posted by Mylius zu Schleiz, it seems that all Frederik needs is to enroll himself in public speaking classes (hence hire a personal tutor, asap.) Every public figure does it; even seasoned speakers, journalists, etc continue to master their communication skills and so forth... it's an ongoing process. If he doesn't, well...
I agree, it would help him so very much -- plus very surprised that all the Royals have not taken public speaking classes. It was a job requirement that all middle and upper supervision in the government had to take an indepth course originally and then a "refresher" every third year. I would bet that someone that is very comfortable (like Maxima) took a college course in public speaking.

I have one question about the interview. It indicates Frederick said he is the first one in the family to get a college degree? I thought both his parents had college degrees. QM went to Sorbonne and Pr Henrik was a diplomat. How wrong am I??

Well I'll admit straight up that I haven't even seen the clips posted above (am presently in the bad books for using up to much of our broadband allocation for the month by watching clips, nevermind we all knew it would happen), but if the comment that nothing much was gained from the interview is a reflection of the general feeling, I have to wonder whether it is a reflection of Frederik (& Mary) wishing that they could have more private time (every now and then they seem to me to crave it) but feeling obliged to give an interview, release a few photos etc

Perhaps it is merely that he has (surprisingly, I'll agree) not had the training on how to handle such interviews and public speaking and also had negative feelings towards the interview in the first place???

I have one question about the interview. It indicates Frederick said he is the first one in the family to get a college degree? I thought both his parents had college degrees. QM went to Sorbonne and Pr Henrik was a diplomat. How wrong am I??
I think the reference was to Frederik's Master of Political Science from the University of Aarhus. Frederik is the first Danish royal to have completed his studies to take a Master (not sure about prince Henrik). QM has attended various educational institutions, but she has not taken a masters degree.

I think the reference was to Frederik's Master of Political Science from the University of Aarhus. Frederik is the first Danish royal to have completed his studies to take a Master (not sure about prince Henrik). QM has attended various educational institutions, but she has not taken a masters degree.

Prince Henrik's bio on the official pages mentions that he's studied a lot of various things - and it all ended up in a diplomatic career.

Nevertheless, he wasn't part of the royal family when he did it.

The plan was that Frederik would do what Margrethe did - and what CP Victoria has ended up doing, taking a lot of various courses to be broadly prepared. Instead he ended up with the political science degree - and the way he talked about sticking it out and making the attempt, rather than cutting and running, was actually one of the highlights - to me. :whistling:

Back
Top Bottom