The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Join The Royal Forums Today

Old 05-14-2018, 06:03 AM
Serene Highness

I figured the half sibs would come out looking bad in this movie. The ex husband took a hit for his TV show. Good luck trying to sue for libel; they would have to prove what was shown in the movie is not true.

Old 05-14-2018, 06:05 AM
Royal Highness

We here, us the real royal watchers know the story.....have no idea what that was.....

Old 05-14-2018, 06:08 AM
Imperial Majesty

Location: On the west side of North up from Back, United States
I thought the way the halfsies were addressed in the movie actually shows Meghan's restraint towards these people. She didn't defend them at all but she also didn't denigrate them either. She even demonstrated being "pushy".

Charles also was kind of a misplayed character. At first I though that character was the butler. Camilla though was well portrayed as being the down to earth person she is.

Harry as a frog was hilarious.
No law can be sacred to me but that of my nature. Good and bad are but names very readily transferable to that or this; the only right is what is after my constitution, the only wrong what is against it.

~~~Ralph Waldo Emerson~~~
Old 05-14-2018, 07:08 AM
Heir Apparent

Cringe inducing.
Old 05-14-2018, 07:46 AM
Serene Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by JuliannaVictoria View Post
Actually I don't think that is how they are portraying Charles and Kate at all. I think, imo that they are portraying them as concerned for Harry and the institution. They were not being nasty or anything, just honest.
The characters weren't nasty but they just didn't ring true. In response to William assuring Harry that the family has evolved, Kate responded with something about commoners and people who have been divorced--completely ignoring that commoner Kate is in a "club" with Sophie, Fergie, Mark Phillips, Tim Lawrence and Camilla. Moreover, three of the four people in Charles generation are divorced--along with the Queen's late sister--and Charles is married to a divorced woman.

I also didn't like the discussion about Kate's fertility being a contribution to the nation. Kate seems to truly love being a mother and she would have had children regardless of whom she married.

Kate and Charles may have had concerns but not about Meghan's divorce or middle-class background. I would have liked to see the movie portray the more likely stresses in Harry and Meghan's relationship. Bicoastal romances are hard. Meghan must have been more concerned about the impact on her citizenship and her devotion to politics (and Charles would not have objected to Meghan's political activism before the engagement). There may have been conversations about whether she would have been willing to tone it down if she did get engaged.

Instead of simply focusing on the supposed intolerance of Britain's upper crust, what about whether Meghan's family and friends would have been concerned about her living in a fishbowl.

Obviously, Diana's death deeply affected Harry, but he must have seen some horrible things in Afghanistan, which also must have had a large impact on his life. The movie only focused on his forced termination of his tour.

On the positive side, the actress did a good job. What I like about Meghan is that she seems warm and empathetic and the actress caught that. I not only liked the way Meghan's mom was portrayed, but also how her father encouraged her to be her own woman (even as a girl).

I watched it but it could have been a lot better.
Old 05-14-2018, 11:10 AM
Courtier

Just starting my recording! I'll go back through and read the threads once I'm done. But my first thought is that they found an actor for Harry, who has a remarkable vocal similarity.

Be a good person.
Old 05-14-2018, 11:35 AM
Heir Presumptive

I had a thorough laugh reading your comments while watching. Will I die of secondhand embarrassment when I watch?
Old 05-14-2018, 11:42 AM
Nobility

Quote:
Originally Posted by Empress Merel View Post
I had a thorough laugh reading your comments while watching. Will I die of secondhand embarrassment when I watch?
Probably. It was good fluff with the good, the bad and ugly with tons of embellishment from Lifetime writers.
Old 05-14-2018, 11:58 AM
Majesty

From what I hear (and I didn't watch it) the writers were not fans of Kate/William.

LaRae
Old 05-14-2018, 04:57 PM
Aristocracy

They were intended to be a bit of comic relief (according to exec producer) but the tone often fell flat in the 1st half. W&K and especially Kate were much more supportive in the 2nd half.

M. Payton yes royal watchers know the timeline and broad strokes but the only people who know the real story are H&M.
Old 05-14-2018, 08:52 PM
Heir Apparent

Did Harry just dress up her dogs?!? #WTH
Jaqueline Bouvier Kennedy, September 12, 1953
Countess Stephanie of Belgium October 20, 2012
Old 05-14-2018, 09:43 PM
Majesty

Ugh the only channel I get it on doesn't air it until Saturday after the wedding. I don't get why they are waiting. Would make more sense to air before but no.
Old 05-14-2018, 10:25 PM
Heir Apparent

The actress playing Kate looks and sounds like her. A few times I was like "holy crap it is her"!
Jaqueline Bouvier Kennedy, September 12, 1953
Countess Stephanie of Belgium October 20, 2012
Old 05-15-2018, 10:56 AM
Courtier

The film got pretty good ratings:

Ratings - "Harry & Meghan: A Royal Romance" on Lifetime Debuts as Cable's Best Original Movie of the Year in Key Demos | TheFutonCritic.com
Old 05-17-2018, 11:15 PM
Aristocracy

I heard many say "At least it was better than that awful William and Kate movie."
Old 05-17-2018, 11:28 PM
Majesty

I caught it on YouTube where it was posted for about five minutes yeasterday. It's not due to be seen in Australia for several days (strangely.) Some of it was plainly ridiculous, the lion, some of Charles's comments, but IMO it was saved by the good acting of the leads playing Harry, Meghan and Kate. I'd give it a 7/10.
Old 05-17-2018, 11:34 PM
Aristocracy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Curryong View Post
I Some of it was plainly ridiculous, the lion,
My husband and I laughed out loud at the bits with the lion(s). I think we were supposed to think it was 2 different lions but they looked the same to me.
Old 05-18-2018, 12:24 AM
Courtier

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zaira View Post
But I loved seeing the "real thing" at the end. They are so amazing together.
Yes! That was the best part for me. *insert all the heart emojis*

Quote:
Originally Posted by PtahHotep View Post
I heard many say "At least it was better than that awful William and Kate movie."
It's true!! lol But I give most of the credit to the actors playing Harry and Meghan. They both did a good job and had excellent chemistry. They saved an otherwise ridiculous movie.
Old 05-18-2018, 12:33 AM
Heir Apparent

I didn't have issues with the general storylines, but some of the lines, my god!
Old 05-19-2018, 11:24 PM
Majesty

Days late but I finally get the movie on a channel I get on tv and watching.

I must say so far the casting is great. The Harry and Meghan (adult) actually look and sound a lot like them. Much better then either movie done of Will and Kate (one of the will/kate was positively horrible casting, neither great). Not fan of the William and Charles, but Kate seems a great match.

I thought someone pointed out when I mentioned Markus was rumored to introduce Meghan, that it was Misha. But in this movie it was Violet who did.

Some of the lines are corny. But I must say much better so far then either of the Cambridge movies in acting as well. At least the Camilla Luddington Cambridge one was half way descent, the other was horrid.