"Grace of Monaco" (Cannes May 2014, US release uncertain)

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Breffney

Courtier
City
Leitrim
Country
Ireland
I saw this project mentioned a few months ago when it was revealed by the Hollywood Reporter that European producer, Pierre-Ange Le Pogam, had won the rights to an in-demand spec script about Princess Grace of Monaco.

The film will focus on the six month period in 1962 in which Princess Grace used her smarts and charms to save the small nation's government from being overthrown by the French.

Grace Kelly Film in the Works (Exclusive) - The Hollywood Reporter

The latest word is that Helmer Olivier Dahan has signed on to direct "Grace of Monaco". He previously directed Marion Cotillard in "La Vie En Rose".

The release date has been set for 2014. Now, who is best suited to play a 33 year old Grace. ?

Of the people listed in the comments section I prefer Diane Kruger. She certainly has the looks.
Some people say Charlize Theron. I think that Charlize would be ideal as Princess Charlene of Monaco but not Princess Grace.

‘La Vie En Rose’ Helmer Olivier Dahan To Direct Grace Kelly Film ‘Grace Of Monaco’ – Deadline.com

Interesting news Breffney & it will also be of interest to see who gets the staring role!

Interesting news Breffney & it will also be of interest to see who gets the staring role!

An Ard Ri, I hope that it isn't one of those projects that sits and gathers dust.

But the fact that they now have a director looks good.

I think that Diane Kruger has the fine features and aesthetic beauty of Grace.

It doesn't sound like a fluffy, light-weight movie but a serious one.

Sadly thats a possibility given the current climate!
I wonder who'll be line up to play the late Princess Antoinette :D

Last edited by a moderator:
This movie will be interesting. Anyone know if it will be a movie based on her late serene highnesses' life or just a movie in documentary form.who will be playing her and prince rainier III?

Olivier Dahan did an alright job directing La Môme, although Marion Cotillard really carried that movie. I really do not hope that Charlize Theron will portray Grace, she's never been a favourite actress of mine and I agree, Diane Kruger (who on the contrary is one of my favourite actresses) would be a much more suitable choice for the part.

I wonder if Diane Kruger could pull off Grace's American accent, which she never lost. Charlize Theron is a master of accents, and has the acting ability to portray HSH.

I think Charlize Theron could play both, Charlene and Grace.
I don't think Diane Kruger would be the perfect person for this.
I'm not a fan of Scarlett Johannson but I guess the producers have something like her in mind :whistling:

This movie will be interesting. Anyone know if it will be a movie based on her late serene highnesses' life or just a movie in documentary form.who will be playing her and prince rainier III?

The movie for the most part will focus on the crucial role that Grace played in saving Monaco from being taken over by France in 1962.

No one has been cast yet. It is all speculation at this stage.

I wouldn't be at all surprised if the Royal Family try and quash this. I say this because of their quite robust attitude towards published material. It will be interesting to see Albert's reaction and whether the family are consulted. Also I guess the material, although historic could be potentially damaging to Monaco's relationship with France.

Last weekend they had an article about the planned biopic in an Austrian magazine with an interview of the director (who had known Princess Grace for a long time).So far it seems as if they have no concrete plans yet for making the film,but I hope that it will be realised soon (and in good quality of course!)
The film will focus on Grace Kelly before she went to Monaco,it will show how she freed herself from her puritan background to become an independent woman and succesful actress.Charlize Theron has been asked if she wants to take the role after they had seen her in the last J´adore Dior advert:Charlize Theron Dior Commercial 2011 New Sexy TV Ad J'Adore Dior Parfume - Rue Faubourg Music 2011 - YouTube
According to the article Prince Albert has been consulted but nevertheless I believe there are still many obstacles before they will even start making the film,let alone the time it will take until we can watch it in the cinemas...

I will see if I can find the article again & post it...

I would love to see the article as the plot line seems different to the articles that I have read about the film.

Depending on where the film is made, it would be rather difficult to quash it.

Diane Kruger isn't pretty enough imo; it is so upsetting when a plain actress is hired to play a beautiful person. Charlieze Theron could pull it off.

I am afraid I threw away the magazine with that interview& I can´t find it online,I am very sorry :-(
While I was Google-searching for it,I found some interesting articles on the upcoming movies-as it seems there are going to be 2 films from different directors (Robert Dornhelm and Olivier Dahan)who want to tell Grace Kelly´s story from a different view.They haven´t yet chosen the lead actress for both films...I guess we better wait & drink tea until we can say something concrete.

Grace Kelly film - actress in movie (Vogue.com UK)

These are in German:
Gracy-Kelly-Film: Robert Dornhelm übernimmt Regie « DiePresse.com
Gleich zwei Filmbiografien über Grace Kelly geplant - Riviera Côte d'Azur Zeitung Online

A little bit about Olivier Dahan´s GK-movie:
'La Vie En Rose' Director Olivier Dahan To Helm Grace Kelly Biopic... About Tax Havens | The Playlist

Thank you so much for that, blauerengel. :flowers:

Two movies, that is so exciting. Both very different. Robert Dornhelm's will be very interesting given that he had been a good friend of Grace's. How much will he reveal. ? How much detail about her personal life both before and after marriage will he divulge. ?

As an Aussie I should be happy Nicole Kidman is potentially going to play Princess Grace but to be honest I don't think she is the best person for the role.

Although she has done some good work a few years ago her recent stuff has been pretty average and I don't think she will be able to capture the spirit of Princess Grace.

Rosamund Pike would be my suggestion. She's a good actress and they're kinda similair in body and face.

If only Doutzen Kroes was good at acting.

I don't like the idea of Nicole Kidman playing Grace Kelly!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
I would have loved to see Charlize Theron doing that part.
She looks much more like Grace (and I also think she looks a bit like Charlene).
But who am I to decide....:whistling:

Nicole Kidman is a brilliant actress but I'm not sure I like the idea of her playing Grace Kelly.
Then again, few actresses could ever match Grace.

This said, I thought Michelle Williams was completely miscast as Marilyn Monroe - and she turned out to be brilliant.

Nicole Kidman is a brilliant actress but I'm not sure I like the idea of her playing Grace Kelly.
Then again, few actresses could ever match Grace.

I agree - those would be hard shoes to fill.

I could see Charlize Theron play the part, but I also don't think she has the grace and glamor to pull it off. Same for Nicole Kidman.

When I saw some of their still shots, I can see the similarity, If Nicole looks like she did the the stepford wives, then I think she can pull it off! After all she is in the elite class of Academy Award winning best actress Oscar award.

Last edited:
How disappointing that Nicole Kidman has apparently been chosen for this role. Her face is so tight from botox/surgery I can't watch her without marvelling at how wax-like she looks. Plus, she's a decidedly mediocre actress. To be honest, most of my friends know nothing about Grace, some have never even heard of her at all, it's disappointing that such a poor casting decision has been made when they have the opportunity to educate people about her.

There seems to be a lot of jumping on the bandwagon with royal films since the Oscar success of The Queen and The King's Speech. I actually read before the most recent Oscars one of the ways you can hugely increase your chance of winning is to play a British monarch.

I don't think that Nicole Kidman is really suitable for the role of Princess Grace. But I don't agree that she is totally unsuitable for this or that she is a mediocre actress. Despite all botox ( she is not the only one), she is ( or was in her younger years) a real beauty and she does have a personality.
I wonder though how Grace 's personal life and family relations will be presented, if it will be idealized or more realistic, besides it will be interesting to know the attitude of Grace's children towards this project.

What exactly is Grace supposed to have done during the crisis? I know because of Grace there was more public attention but it was Rainier who had to deal with De Gaulle, Antoinette and Jean Charles Rey and the Monaco National Council. I have read bios of both her and Rainier and besides being supportive of her husband I don't recall Grace doing anything too remarkable, certainly not enough to base a movie on.

My pick to play Grace would be Naomi Watts, who is BFFs with Nicole Kidman.

Back
Top Bottom