"Grace of Monaco" (Cannes May 2014, US release uncertain)

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
What exactly is Grace supposed to have done during the crisis? I know because of Grace there was more public attention but it was Rainier who had to deal with De Gaulle, Antoinette and Jean Charles Rey and the Monaco National Council. I have read bios of both her and Rainier and besides being supportive of her husband I don't recall Grace doing anything too remarkable, certainly not enough to base a movie on.

I have been wondering the same thing. Given that Albert seems supportive of this film I'm wondering if information which had, up to now been kept private in the royal archives, will be revealed. ?

How disappointing that Nicole Kidman has apparently been chosen for this role.

Oh my God, now I know that I'm not going to watch this movie. :ermm::cool: I wish they had chosen Charlize Theron! Only she could capture Grace's radiance and warmth (let's not forget that, in spite of the common legend, Grace was not a cold person). ;)

Thank you all for the updates though!! :flowers:

I really like Nicole Kidman BUT not as Grace. No, no, no. !!!! :bang:

I have been wondering the same thing. Given that Albert seems supportive of this film I'm wondering if information which had, up to now been kept private in the royal archives, will be revealed. ?

Dubious but it is a possibility I guess. Of course its also possible Albert is supportive of any project that keeps his mothers legend alive and raises awareness of Monaco.

Last edited:
Grace of Monaco

How about Nicole Kidman being cast to play HSH Princess Grace Kelly?... I think she is perfect for this. I just hope that they don't make the film suck :bang: and they show her as she truly was.

R.I.P Princess Grace Kelly

:monacoflag: :monacostandard:

Last edited by a moderator:
I agree. She can't portray a woman like Grace, I bet Nicole will end up looking totally stiff in her role. :cool:

I mean no one can portray Grace :flowers: but there is a movie to be done and you have to work with what you have. I think from all the other women they considered for the part (Jessica Chastain, Emily Blunt, Olivia Wilde, Michelle Monaghan' and Jessica Biel)...... How can you even consider Jessica Biel can do this. :eek:

Oh I love Naomi as well but I think Grace was taller LOL

I would rather not have a movie about a famous and beloved person rather than have the wrong actress/actor in the role. I believe Charlize has already been mentioned in this thread; I think she is much better suited than Nicole at least when it comes to the physical.

Charlize would be much better from acting point of view as well.
I really like Nicole but it'd be nice if Grace is portrayed by someone with more control of her face muscles.

I think the actress should have been a complete nobody. With the likes of the huge movie stars being talked about for this film, they know what it's like to star in a great movie and be paid millions for the privilege. Whereas an unknown might stand a better chance of understand the role she's about the play.

So, according to your logic, a more famous actress wouldn't stand a chance of understanding the role, because she would demand more (including millions)?! :wacko:

Artemisia, great point! :D

I think a famous actress like Charlize would completely understand the role of Grace Kelly because she herself was a famous actress. I also feel Charlize and Grace both have a calmness about them, though Nicole does share her coldness. I don't think anyone could really understand Grace after she met and married Rainier and having to give up her career unless Princess Mary or Maxima etc. were cast in the role.

Still trying to understand what Grace was supposed to have done for Rainier during this period that is enough to peg a movie on. While Rainier was dealing with De Gaulle/ Princess Antoinette & Jean Charles Rey, Grace was pretty wrapped up in the whole Marnie issue. This was all happening in 1962. I am wondering if the movie will be more fiction than fact, but I suppose it with keep the image of Grace alive for a new generation that really knows little to nothing about her and give publicity to the principality.

I would also prefer Charlize playing Grace; Nicole has a face-mask already.

Last edited:
I would also prefer Charlize playing Grace; Nicole has a face-mask already.
As much as I love Charlize and think she's a total knock-out, she doesn't have much kindness in her features the way Grace had. My first choice would've been Rosamund Pike.

I honestly never saw kindness in Grace's features. Not saying she wasn't a nice person, just when I look at her I see an icy beauty. I haven't seen anything Rosamund has been in except Pride and Prejudice.
Is it the consensus on this thread that Nicole Kidman isn't our first choice?

I too have only seen Rosamund in P&P but she's got a nice look to her.
Charlize is very out there (for lack of a better word), both look-wise and personality-wise, but she can act circles around Nicole so it's all a matter of choices, I guess. I'm no casting director, gladly. Especially with very popular books/people, you're never going to please everybody.

Must be strange for Albert, Caroline and Stephanie. Their parents being portrayed in a movie.

I'm guessing PG used her American citizenship as leverage. I read that she and her children all carried American passports. PR and she visited the Whitehouse to see Pres.s Eisenhower and Kennedy. Her famiy was friends with the Kennedys. Monaco allowed American warships to anchor in their waters when France didn't. If DeGaulle had any ideas of taking over Monaco, he would think twice if Monaco had US backing. PR didn't marry Grace just for her beauty. The Monagasques have always been pretty resourceful.

If they MUST make a movie about Grace I wish they'd choose an exquisite young unknown actress.

Nicole Kidman is a bit too old and has messed up her face, imo. Cheryl Ladd as Grace Kelly was a complete dud.

I think Charlize Theron is not as bad a choice as Ladd or Kidman but I still hope to see an unknown because I can't think of any current actress who might be able to "capture" Grace on film.

I'm willing to wait and see and I wouldn't describe Nicole Kidman as 'a bit too old and has messed up her face' as that's just unnecessary!

If they MUST make a movie about Grace I wish they'd choose an exquisite young unknown actress...
Agree w/ you on all your points.
N Kidman would be a disaster.
P grace had a very wide face and broad jaw, I don't know who could fill those stats now.

Grace Kelly was an actress from a pre-plastic-surgery-botox era. In private Grace was known for her sense of humor and her warmth. She could scrunch up her face and fall over laughing as many photos have attested to that.

As a public princess princess,Grace, was composed, beautifully dressed and behaved with dignity. But that was not all that there was of Grace, it was Grace simply performing her role as a wife of prince. I cannot imagine Princess Grace floating through the palace with an expressionless face and an emotionless demeanor, icy and cold.

Princess Grace is now remembered and revered as an icon. The fan and media idolization of her emphasize some aspects of her life and personality and discard other characteristics. Press and fans remember what they want to about an idol and sometimes re-invent much of their object of devotion. It will be interesting to see if the script and actress portray the image of an icon or a real human being.

Last edited:
I honestly never saw kindness in Grace's features. Not saying she wasn't a nice person, just when I look at her I see an icy beauty.
But are you focusing on just one aspect of her image? In both To Catch a Thief and Rear Window there's a knowing mischief and impish humour that sparkles in her eyes and is very appealing indeed. Great actress or not, there are windows into the soul which can't always be faked and we know she could be a hoot when she was with her trusted friends in private.

Very few people attain icon status in their lifetime and even fewer have it survive them into posterity. Those that do, by definition, can't be one-dimensional. As opposed to media creations, the genuine article has to be respected, admired, but more importantly, liked. Flaws and vulnerability may play a part, and so does strength, but beyond those there must be a sense of humanity or the general public wouldn't relate, or even care very much. If the public can't relate in a very fundamental manner, someone may be famous or a "star", but they'll never have the status of a true icon. Grace's heyday was a long time ago, early to mid-50s in Hollywood then some 25 years in Monaco. In a few weeks time it will be the 30th anniversary of her death. Yet still we speak of her, still interested, still charmed. No one-dimensional, not-very-nice Ice Princess could attract a fraction of such genuine and long-lasting public affection. Grace did, and continues to do so.

Gracefully done! Nicole Kidman transforms into Grace Kelly in first picture from biopic
She is one of the silver screen's greatest icons. But it seems Nicole Kidman will be able to pull off the difficult task of playing Grace Kelly, if the first picture released of her in the role is any guide. The Australian actress looks sensational in a portrait where she has the Princess of Monaco's glamorous style down to perfection
I love Nicole Kidman; she's a great actress, decent human being and a loving mother. Unfortunately, she's nothing like Grace Kelly.

I wish they had chosen Charlize Theron. She not only looks like Grace but also has that same serene aura. I think one of the commentators from the DM article put it best: Charlize Theron will make a much better Grace Kelly. She even has Grace's ice cold princess attitude.

They should have gone with an unknown, it would have brought something fresh to the role, and an element of surprise. All the actresses mentioned above already have a persona which will inevitably be compared to the subject and from my stand point can't measure up to the real thing.

Update on the cast of Grace of Monaco

Cast

Nicole Kidman as Grace Kelly
Tim Roth as Prince Rainier of Monaco
Frank Langella as Father Francis Tucker
Parker Posey as Madge Tivey-Faucon
Milo Ventimiglia as Rupert Allen
Derek Jacobi as Count Fernando D'Ailieres
Paz Vega as Maria Callas
Geraldine Somerville as Princess Antoinette of Monaco
Robert Lindsay as Aristotle Onassis
Roger Ashton-Griffiths as Alfred Hitchcock