"Grace of Monaco" (Cannes May 2014, US release uncertain)

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I'd like to know when it will be playing in the cinemas or when it will be released on DVD.

There will are two versions, a Continental one (shown on the Festival de Cannes) and an Anglo-American one which is more "Hollywood". I think the film will be available in a limited number of cinemas and mainly released directly on DVD. After a year, we will see it on TV, I guess.

There will are two versions, a Continental one (shown on the Festival de Cannes) and an Anglo-American one which is more "Hollywood". I think the film will be available in a limited number of cinemas and mainly released directly on DVD. After a year, we will see it on TV, I guess.

2 versions? Really? Is that official news?

Any timeline on the limited movie release?

The Anglo-American version offers a fairy tale in which an American actress travels to the principality and, despite some struggles, reinvents herself as The Princess of Monaco. It also contains the inevitable Hollywood dose of romance.‎

The Continental version is a darker, more tragic story in which Grace Kelly battles with a dominant Prince Rainier soon after arriving in Monaco and is seen suffering in several moments of the film as the fairy-tale aspects are muted in favor of melodrama. This cut was shown at the Festival de Cannes.

From what I heard in the media over here, the Americans did not like the cut delivered by Dahan (known for his Edith Piaf biopic "La Vie en Rose"). Apparently the Americans thought Dahan's cut was grim, melodramatic and not appealing an American audience. Weinstein wanted a new cut which should result in a lighter and more fairytale version. So: one storyline, two different movies....

It seemed that there were major cultural misunderstandings between the US distributors and the European director and producer. The Americans seems to see royalty as a fairytale and expected an enchanted love story. The Europeans saw more a tragic tale, to the complete surprise of the Americans whom apparently had no idea at all that "their actress" probably was not happy at all as Princess.

:flowers:

Last edited by a moderator:
Release dates for "Grace of Monaco"

Grace of Monaco (2014) - Release Info - IMDb

The film will have been rolled out across most of Europe by the end of May.

Australia - 5 June
Netherlands - 5 June
UK & Ireland - 6 June
Brazil - 1 January 2015 [!! Portugal was 22 May]
US & Canada - ??

Yes indeed I am anticipating this Movie : "Grace Of Monaco " which is very mysterious and I do hope I can watch it .This also had I been prevented to meet the 39th USPresident in San Francisco re: signing autograph of his Book " Am I My Brothers Keeper" ( read the Genesis 4.9 )

I think I'll wait for the dvd release.

Last edited by a moderator:
I saw on a news show that the Royal Family of Monaco wanted nothing to do with this movie because they said something to the effect that it was a misrepresentation of her life and the history facts were misrepresented. Supposedly two versions of the movie were shown, one which depicted a Cinderella type marriage (living happily ever after) and another one where Princess Grace wasn't so happy in her life.

Only Princess Grace knows whether she was happy or not (family members opinions or recollections of how something was or wasn't may be different) and of course she'd not here to give her opinion of it.

Americans like to think of a royal wedding especially an American to a royal prince to be the wedding of the century and to be the best marriage that there is. A fairy tale marriage as such. This isn't realistic even if a marriage is a happy one.

I would like to see the movie when it does come out.

Last edited:
I went to see Belle this weekend. I thoroughly enjoyed seeing it and was pleased to view previews of GRACE as a "coming soon" to this theatre.

So, Grace will indeed be playing in major and minor cinemas in Australia soon..:p

Hahaha, will be happy to provide a review folks.:innocent:

Apparently, parts of the film were shot in Brussels, in the former Provincial Palace (which is now the seat of the Parliament of Brussels). Here are some photos:

Tournage du film «Â*Grace de MonacoÂ*» à Bruxelles au Parlement bruxellois

Some are saying that Grace of Monaco is going to be worse than Diana, so I'd like to see the film when it comes out to see if it is. (Albert himself has said something similar to "the film is going against the good name of Grimaldi", and I think Caroline and Stephanie have also criticized it and are unhappy with it's inaccuracy.) I must admit that I did eventually see Diana, and it wasn't as bad as I thought, although some parts were cringe worthy.

Last edited:
Diana was a dreadful movie I watched it recently and could well understand all of the bad reviews,its hard to believe that the Princess Grace is worse :D

:previous: Hahaha! Totally agree!! I found it difficult to sit through the entire Diana movie and am embarrassed to admit I watched it, even though it was a DVD someone else had hired. See? I had to put that in so you don't think I actually hired it.:blush:

The DVD is available for pre-order on the UK Amazon website. The soundtrack for the movie is available now at the Amazon USA website.

Last edited:
Has the dvd release date been announced yet?

So, the film never even made it to wide release, it that correct?

It is showing in limited cinemas in the UK. I have found listings for next week but mainly in small independent/art houses.

We might get a dvd release before Christmas?

Just seen it, it's beautifully bad.... The acting is indeed really wooden but i'm more disturbed by the numerous and laughable historical inaccuracies ...

Nico,

"Beautifully bad" is precisely how I would describe the clips I have seen-LOL!

As per Amazon.com Grace of Monaco will be released on dvd on October 13th!

I have just seen the movie. Good heavens, it is really the poorest of the poor... Even the most simple fact that Prince Ranier III never ever wore glasses has been missed: the whole movie he is wearing big, black thick spectacles. Nicole Kidman was so botoxed that I could barely read any emotion or mood from her face. Princess Grace is portrayed as a sort of saviour of the little principality because she prevented an invasion by France, purely thanks to her charm. Good heavens. Monaco is 100% dependent on France. Just switch of electricity and gas, block the roads and harbor and the "state" is French...

Definitely a no-no and a waste of my precious Sunday hours. Luckily I paid no centime for it (just downloaded via peer-to-peer).

:sad::ohmy::ermm:

Last edited:
I watched the movie over the weekend and it wasn't as bad as I was expecting,the sets/locations and costumes were stunning,but my goodness what a vapid script with the weakest plot being Princess Antoinette who was barely onscreen but heavily villianised,no wonder the Princely Family washed their hands of it all!

I just can't imagine why Harvey Weinstein thought this would be a good idea. Maybe because he had such great response/success from his other "Royal" movie..."The King's Speech"...and he believed lightening would strike twice?:cool:

I feel embarrassed just reading the synopsis of "Grace"...too silly for words. And from seeing the trailers, I agree about Nicole Kidman and the Botox....

I watched the movie last week, and it wasn't as bad as I thought it would be, but it wasn't brilliant either. Diana was definitely worse. It was quite cheesy in some parts, but the rest of it was bearable. I'm not sure if it's historically accurate, but I didn't realise that France wanted Monaco to become part of their country when Grace was Princess. I noted that Princess Maria Carolina of Bourbon-Two Sicilies and her sister Princess Maria Chiara both had minor roles in the film, I think they played two little girls during a clip of a visit Grace was making to the public.

[....] I'm not sure if it's historically accurate, but I didn't realise that France wanted Monaco to become part of their country when Grace was Princess

You have answered your own question (Is the movie historically accurate?): it is not at al accurate.

In the movie Prince Rainier (for some reason totally unaccurately depicted with thick, black spectacles ...) faces a challenge to his rather diminutive power: Charles de Gaulle. The French president intends to force Monaco to come on an agreement with France about tax evasion. He could not accept that French citizens and companies could escape taxes due to a loophole and the "fight" was about allowing the presumed right of the super-rich to sequester their obscene wealth in a tiny tax-free principality which is for 99% of its existence depending on France.

Several daft subplots rub up, mostly having been fictionalised or transplanted from another point in history. For example, it is true that Princess Antoinette tried to take the throne – but that was in 1950, not 1962. In a hopeless attempt to some credibility, the movie suggests that General de Gaulle is attempting to conquer Monaco because Grace wants to be in a Hitchcock film. Nope. Finally, our heroïne Grace figures out how to end the war (there wasn't a war at all) – throw a party! Hooray!

:lol:

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom