"Grace of Monaco" (Cannes May 2014, US release uncertain)

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
:previous:
I respectfully disagree, at least as far as non-English-speaking countries are concerned.

Edith Piaf was (and still is) a legend; her songs are known in pretty much every corner of the world. Ask any child here who is the voice behind "La Vie en rose" or "Non, je ne regrette rien" and you'll get a correct answer from 99% of them.

Not saying Grace wasn't a legend; she was and again, still is. But she was especially popular in the United States and English-speaking countries. Outside of those, some people (mainly, those interested in royalty) may remember her as the great actress who married a Prince and died tragically in a car accident - but I'd still say Edith Piaf is the far more popular and recognisable one. Her voice will live on when memories of Grace fade.

Well it might just be my own perception as a Dane. I doubt you'll find many kids here knowing who Piaf was, but maybe knowing the melody to 'Non, je ne regrette rien', 'La vie en rose' and perhaps 'l'Hymne à l'Amour'. I've known about Piaf since forever, but I doubt I would've until I got French in school had I not had French family.

I guess it differs from country to country. :)
Armenians are probably the biggest Francophiles out there and we love everything about French culture and especially the music.

Indeed, one of my own favourite singers, but if you asked people, I think more of them know Grace over Edith Piaf. She was not only an actress, she was an actress gone Princess, it's a fairytale story. Edith Piaf was a badass diva, sure, but Grace Kelly, I think, is still a "bigger" and more famous person.

I'd agree there,especially in Ireland.

Princess Grace is held in high regard,anything to do with her whether it be a jewellery collection or a movie will attract a lot of attention.

Wow she looks amazing,even if the Princely Family aren't looking forward to this movie I am!

Has this film been released yet or shown at film festivals? I know the Grimaldis themselves have been critical of its inaccuracies and generally panned it but have there been any reviews by film critics?

Last edited:
Not out until next year is it?

Nicole Kidman's Grace Of Monaco creates buzz with new trailer as friend Naomi Watts gets slated by critics for Diana movie | Mail Online

Battle of the Princesses: Nicole Kidman's Grace Of Monaco creates buzz with new trailer
as friend Naomi Watts gets slayed by critics for Diana movie

Just as her good friend Naomi Watts, 44, is getting bashed for her big-screen portrayal of Princess Diana, Nicole Kidman, 46, is bravely starting to publicize her own princess movie, this one about Grace Kelly. On Monday a teaser trailer was released for Grace of Monaco, which is set to hit theaters in December.

In the clip, Nicole looks stunning - and convincing - as the wife of Prince Rainier. Brief glimpses are shown of the actress in a sleeveless gown, walking in her castle, lying on a bed in a sky blue dress, entering a ball, in a red jacket and black hat, and finally looking vulnerable in a glittering silver dress.

Grace Of Monaco has yet to garner much reaction except from Grace's family that has claimed the film 'needlessly glamorised' the icon. Set in 1962, Grace Of Monaco follows the personal life of the former actress during the famous dispute between France and Monaco over tax laws. Directed by La Vie en Rose's Olivier Dahn, and with a reported $30m budget, the film co-stars Tim Roth, Parker Posey, and Milo Ventimiglia.

Dahan told The Telegraph the film was a character study and not meant to be a serious biopic, saying, 'I am not a journalist or historian. I am an artist. I have not made a biopic. I hate biopics in general. I have done, in any subjectivity, a human portrait of a modern woman who wants to reconcile her family, her husband, her career. But who will give up her career and invent another role. And it will be painful.'

Thanks for posting the video,I am looking forward to this movie.Nicole Kidman is one of my favourite actors,so lets hope this movie doesn't get the bad reviews that the recent Diana movie got!

I do not understand why the film maker cannot do a "character study" and still be historically/factually accurate. In fact I would think historic/factual accuracy would actually be required for an accurate "character study". If the facts are wrong does that not lead to the "character study" being wrong?

I do not understand why the film maker cannot do a "character study" and still be historically/factually accurate. In fact I would think historic/factual accuracy would actually be required for an accurate "character study". If the facts are wrong does that not lead to the "character study" being wrong?

Yes. I agree NGalitzine. There's clearly an attempt to be historically/factually accurate e.g. to recreate Grace's clothes/jewels etc. and film in the exact locations. Yet not so when it comes to presenting biographical information. Obviously we haven't seen the film yet, but I hope there aren't too many made up incidents to "enhance" the character study. The trailer suggests the production values alone will make it a "must see" for Grace fans, and there'll be plenty for us to discuss.

I was in bits just listening to the music and the voice-over. Was that Christopher Plummer speaking. ?

I am looking forwards to watching the film.

Nicole Kidman looks very like Grace in some pictures I have seen.

I think that was Frank Langella narrating the trailer; he's in the movie as well.

I found it interesting that it had been viewed of in terms of "awards season". Commercial, yes, awards ?? Then again, Nicole is a very good actress so, maybe .......

But, now, with it having been put back I don't know what to think. :ohmy:

Have heard that the movie - as a whole - should be really bad, and because of that, a lot of professional award-watchers and critics crossed Nicole off of their Academy Award/Best Actress lists. Which is also, allegedly, why Weinstein pushed the release date - because having a supposed Oscar contender bomb would be embarrassing. Nicole's performance should be rather good though.

I am wondering if it is also because they have seen the Diana movie with Naomi Watts bomb spectacularly. Are they holding off for a while to let the bad reviews of that die down so it won't be seen as yet another bad royal movie?

Some interesting recent developments concerning the apparent re-editing of the Grace film.

The Telegraph

A Franco-American row has erupted over an upcoming film on Princess Grace of Monaco after its Gallic director accused Hollywood mogul Harvey Weinstein of "totally re-editing" the film and turning it into one long “trailer”. Initially due for release in November, making it eligible for next year’s Oscars race, the film has already been screened at the Cannes Film Festival, where Miss Kidman was serving on the festival jury.

But late last month, Mr Weinstein, the distributor, said the release had been postponed until next year, telling The Hollywood Reporter: "The only reason was because it just wasn't ready. The score wasn't ready, a lot of things weren't ready.”

Now Olivier Dahan, the film’s French director...has threatened to simply have his name removed from the credits. In a furious interview with Libération newspaper, the director...said that unbeknownst to him, the rushes for the film had been spirited away and that The Weinstein Company – co-founded by brothers Harvey and Bob Weinstein - had completely re-edited the film. “Right now, there are two versions of the film - mine and theirs - which I find catastrophic,” he told the French daily. “If I had made a Hollywood-style film, I would have known what to expect, I know how it goes: after three versions, if it doesn’t suit, you are thrown out of the editing chair and the producer takes over,” he said. “But this is a French film, so logically there shouldn’t be this type of problem.”

Stone Angels, the film’s French producers, was unavailable for comment. The Weinstein Company did not return an emailed request for comment.

Last edited by a moderator:
It reminds me of when they pushed back "the Great Gatsby" to premier long after the award season was over. It was a much hyped movie that ended up being rather bad despite some strong performances. I fear it might be the same for 'Grace".

Yes indeed,I have a bad feeling about the movie,I'm really hoping I'm wrong but so far the vibes are not good.

Yes indeed,I have a bad feeling about the movie,I'm really hoping I'm wrong but so far the vibes are not good.

I thought it was a bad idea from the beginning. And when all three of Grace's children turned thumbs down on it, I think it was doomed. :sad:

Back
Top Bottom