The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Join The Royal Forums Today

Old 05-28-2015, 01:09 AM
Imperial Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zonk View Post
I started to watch it on Lifetime and just couldn't. I will agree with the consensus that the clothes and the set locations were just beautiful.

Based on what everyone has said about the movie, the best movie about Princess Grace is still the movie starring Cheryl Ladd as Grace and Ian McShane as Rainier. It was a cheesy movie of the week but it stands up better than Grace of Monaco.

Yes, that was a pretty good version.

For some reason it's hard to tell the life stories of Grace and Diana in movies.

GENTLEMAN'S ESSENTIALS
Old 05-28-2015, 01:37 AM
Administrator

To be fair, the Grace movie with Cheryl Ladd did come out before all the tell all books about Grace that have been around for the last 20 to 30 years.

Old 05-28-2015, 09:42 AM
Super Moderator
Royal Blogger

Grace of Monaco film panned: Screenwriter pours scorn on biopic starring Nicole Kidman as movie gets US debut

Grace of Monaco film panned: Screenwriter pours scorn on biopic starring Nicole Kidman as movie gets US debut - News - Films - The Independent
Old 12-09-2015, 01:34 PM
Heir Presumptive

Nicole Kidman is nominated for a Screen Actors Guild award for this movie
The 22nd Annual Screen Actors Guild Awards | Screen Actors Guild Awards

(haven't seen it myself but i was under the impression from internet reviews that her performance was not that amazing?)
Old 12-09-2015, 02:24 PM
Heir Apparent

What I had heard too.Does not she got the best criticism for this movie. Perhaps more interested in the big stars for candidates rather than interpretations.
Old 12-09-2015, 02:46 PM
Majesty

Well... performance... with her botoxed face she could do very little in "acting". That the Screen Actors Guild found this remarkable enough for a nomination, says everything about how serious we have to take this.... Most likely they only wanted a "big name" when they read "And this year's nominees are...."
Old 12-10-2015, 04:50 AM
Imperial Majesty
TRF Author

Nicole Kidman is nominated for a SAG award for Grace Of Monaco | Daily Mail Online
Old 12-10-2015, 07:32 AM
Super Moderator
Royal Blogger

And there was me thinking that Ms. Kidman would rather forget about this turkey!
Old 12-11-2015, 06:23 AM
Nobility

It strikes me as odd that this film still gets attention and nominations. The story had, and has, great potential to be told, an actress becoming a Princess is stuff a good movie can easily be made of, but Grace of Monaco is unfortunately a terrible attempt at doing so. At no point do we really understand how a beautiful and successful American could choose such a bullyingly portrayed Prince. The characters are flat and beyond uninteresting, they're either goodness incarnate or the devil personified, the dialogue is mindnumbingly dull and it is all rounded off appropriately with the shrieking voice of Princess Antoinette when she is being told to leave the country.
Even Maria Callas is portrayed as the most boring and flat of people, which seems to fly in the face of everything she was.

It strikes me that one does not need to trash the Principality itself, costume glitches or peoples appereances to find that this film does not meet any kind of standard, and I am not surprised at all that the Princely Family distanced themselves completely from this project when they saw where it was going.

A great story, captured in an absolutely awful film, that should be kept in an archive somewhere, filed next to Diana.
Old 12-11-2015, 09:16 PM
Majesty

I think Nicole Kidman was a glaring miscast for the part of an early to mid-30 something Princess Grace of Monaco, but hey...SAG in it's all knowing wisdom believed otherwise.

Congrats NK...I think.
Old 12-19-2015, 02:00 PM
Majesty

Not only was Nicole Kidman a miscast, that the Prince was -the whole movie- depicted with a thick black pair of glasses baffled me. I have never seen Prince Rainier with a pair of glasses as a regular feature. This was so annoying that I had problems keeping seated and watch the film out, but soon I woke up because of my own snoring...
Old 11-20-2016, 10:20 AM
Serene Highness

"Grace of Monaco" (Cannes May 2014, US release uncertain)

This film was on Belgian TV last week.
I must say I found it quite horrible. The characters were unbelievable. And the end was strechted with unnessecary scenes.