The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Join The Royal Forums Today

Old 05-14-2014, 08:31 PM
Gentry

WOW! Be sure to report back. Sounds like you will be taking one for the team!!

And poor Nicole! to fear ageing so...

ANA

Old 05-14-2014, 08:49 PM
Courtier

Yes Mam, will do! And don't feel too sorry for me. I will be sure to enjoy the fashion parade if nothing else!

Old 05-14-2014, 09:19 PM
Courtier

Quote:
Originally Posted by AfricanAUSSIE View Post
Radio this morning was having a go at the critics. They were also saying that there must be some kind of curse for any actress that portrays a dead royal.
Judi Dench was brilliant as Queen Victoria in Mrs Brown and Cate Blanchett was equally brilliant as Queen Elizabeth I, so it's not a curse just bad film making. I fess up to disliking Nicole Kidman and thinking she is a poor actress so, IMHO, it is also a case of bad acting.

This has been my favourite review so far for its humour.

Grace of Monaco review: Cannes opens with a royal biopic worse than Diana | Film | The Guardian
Old 05-15-2014, 02:01 AM
Super Moderator
Royal Blogger

From the BBC

BBC News - Grace of Monaco slammed at Cannes Film Festival
Old 05-15-2014, 03:10 AM
Courtier

Quote:
Originally Posted by VictoriaB View Post
Judi Dench was brilliant as Queen Victoria in Mrs Brown and Cate Blanchett was equally brilliant...
Yes, what you say is true, Judi and Cate were indeed brilliant!

This is my favorite quote from your link: "An interesting, complex film could be made about a talented woman who decides to make the best of being trapped in an imperfect marriage. But such a film would have to stop curtsying, and really think about its subject."

Kidman looks better (or more normal) in video footage:
http://www.bbc.com/news/entertainment-arts-27412569

It would be great if she stopped the fillers.
Old 05-15-2014, 06:45 AM
Nobility

Princess Grace movies was a flop at the Cannes. They said KN look plastic playing PG. I don't think they should waste they time putting in U.S.A. If it a flop at the Cannes.
Old 05-15-2014, 07:22 AM
Courtier

A medley of reviews. Not good.

"Grace" Under Fire: Nicole Kidman's Biopic Makes History as One of Cannes' Worst Openers|Criticwire
Old 05-15-2014, 07:33 AM
Imperial Majesty
TRF Author

http://i.dailymail.co.uk/i/pix/2014/...84_634x836.jpg
OMG, what has Nicole done to herself, she should sue the person who is responsible for the damage done to her face.

i won't watch the movie because i find the topic very boring, but in the movie nicole looks very close to grace (at least on some advertising shots).
Old 05-15-2014, 08:03 AM
Administrator in Memoriam

Grace of Monaco review: Cannes opens with a royal biopic worse than Diana | Film | The Guardian

From The Guardian [excerpts]...

It's traditional for Cannes to start with something spectacular. This is
certainly no exception. It is a film so awe-inspiringly wooden that it is
basically a fire-risk. The cringe-factor is ionospherically high. A fleet of
ambulances may have to be stationed outside the Palais to take tuxed audiences
to hospital afterwards to have their toes uncurled under general anaesthetic.

...It doesn't seem that long since we endured a horrendous biopic of
Princess Diana, that other super-rich blonde pasionaria — played by
Naomi Watts. As audiences reeled into the foyer after that, they
comforted themselves with the thought that surely things couldn't get
worse. Surely they wouldn't be forced to endure another badly acted,
badly directed film about a wealthy and self-pitying royal?

How very wrong.

...But how about the people for whom it is all supposed to be about?
Her, erm, husband and children? Well, the absolute indifference
shown by Grace to her kids here is startling. And what of Prince
Rainier himself, that fairy-tale prince for whom she gave it all up?
He is played by Tim Roth, who gives a very cigarette-smoking,
glasses-wearing, moustache-having performance. He is always
leaning in his chair, leaning against door frames — looking through his glasses,
and smoking. What is this remarkable head of state thinking about?
As performed by Tim Roth, it looks like he is thinking about how much he regrets
taking this appalling role, and how inadequate he considers his fee, whatever it is.

. . . . . . . Ouch!!
Old 05-15-2014, 09:50 AM
Heir Presumptive

"Grace of Monaco" (Cannes May 2014, US release uncertain)

It sounds truly awful. Watching some tv interviews Nicole Kidman recorded the day before it screened, she is doing her upmost to defend against what she knows will be a barrage of bad reviews. Yet the footage looks so very attractive with the shots of the Riviera and the wonderful costumes. A list of very good actors too. It just goes to show if the screenplay is dreadful, you can't save a film. Straight to DVD I guess.
Old 05-15-2014, 09:51 AM
Heir Presumptive

I think she's had rather a lot of restylane in the cheeks. It also appears that she's had a breast augmentation as she was quite flat chested earlier in life and now appears to be at least a c cup.
Old 05-15-2014, 02:25 PM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by Duke of Marmalade View Post
http://i.dailymail.co.uk/i/pix/2014/...84_634x836.jpg
OMG, what has Nicole done to herself, she should sue the person who is responsible for the damage done to her face.
I had a bad case of poison ivy on my face that rendered it as unrecognizable as that! Why a beautiful woman should do that to herself is beyond me.

And, African Aussie, be sure to share your opinion on the film. And, please, don't hold back for fear of upsetting our tender feelings.
Old 05-15-2014, 05:33 PM
Super Moderator
Royal Blogger

Quote:
Originally Posted by Warren View Post
Ouch indeed!
Most reviews that I read today gave it 1 star
Old 05-17-2014, 01:25 PM
Heir Presumptive

Are they saying it's better or worse than the Diana movie?
I feel both Naomi and Nicole were miscast, I strongly feel they should have switched roles. Or gone with other actresses like Diana Kruger or ScarJo.
Jaqueline Bouvier Kennedy, September 12, 1953
Countess Stephanie of Belgium October 20, 2012
Old 05-17-2014, 01:30 PM
Heir Presumptive

I think even a different actress wouldn't have saved it. A lot of the reviews point to the dreadful storytelling of a much fabricated aspect of Grace's life in Monaco.
Old 05-17-2014, 02:41 PM
Majesty

It is not about better or worse. It is about a very limited part of Princess Grace's life (in the 1960's) and absurd fabrications about President De Gaulle wanting to usurp the principality into France. Around these plans for usurpation, a sort of family drama à la Hollywood is told. As the palais princier stated: no relation with historical facts.

In the 1960's President Charles de Gaulle grew restive about the tax revenue being lost from its citizens living there and at one time threatened to cut off Monte Carlo's water supplies, which came from France, if the principality opened the door to more tax avoidance. That was it. Hollywood made it look like as if the Grimaldi's were to be dethroned and their principality usurped.

If you like Sissi (with botox) then this is a must-see. It has the same sugarcake fondant and shares a total inaccuracy with facts.

Old 05-17-2014, 08:20 PM
Courtier

I don't think its necessary for an actor to look like the person they are playing (within reason). Helen Mirren didn't look like the Queen, Helena Bonham Carter didn't look like the Queen Mum, Colin Firth looks nothing like George VI & Michelle Williams didn't look like Marilyn Monroe but all had good scripts to work with & all are talented actors who were able to get inside the person they played & make the them real rather than an animated photograph.

From the reviews a different actor probably wouldn't have made much of a difference to either the Diana or the Grace film because the problems are bigger than simply the actress.

I've only seen Diane Kruger in Troy (which was an absolute stinker) so I'm probably being unfair to her but IMHO, even Nicole is a better actress.
Old 05-17-2014, 08:33 PM
Heir Presumptive

I've seen Diane is Farewell My Quern where she plays Marie Antoinette, that's why I threw out her name. I have not seen the movies or read reviews so all I can go on are the pictures and that alone turned me off. I know Naomi and Nicole are best friends and I wonder if these movies were just personal ventures rather than real life attempts at making good movies.
Jaqueline Bouvier Kennedy, September 12, 1953
Countess Stephanie of Belgium October 20, 2012
Old 05-18-2014, 04:27 AM
Majesty

The actresses are not so important. Most critics think that Nicole Kidman did succeed in looking, more or less, like Grace in the 1960's. The problem is the ultra lightweight synopsis, the inaccuracies and the ignoring of historical facts. This is no longer a biopic but a fantasy film. However a fantasy with the father and the mother of three still living children. No wonder that the palais princier is "not amused".
Old 05-18-2014, 10:20 AM
Courtier

I'd like to know when it will be playing in the cinemas or when it will be released on DVD.