The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Go Back   The Royal Forums > Royal Highlights > Royal Library > The Electronic Domain

Join The Royal Forums Today

Old 05-02-2014, 09:45 AM
Heir Presumptive

THe announcement of the palace to day

Prince's Palace of Monaco

May 2 2014

Press release: "Grace of Monaco" movie

On the occasion of the upcoming screening of the film "Grace of Monaco" at the opening of the Cannes Festival on 14 May 2014 and its release in theaters, the Prince's Palace would like to reiterate that this feature film cannot under any circumstances be classified as a biopic.

The trailer appears to be a farce and confirms the totally fictional nature of this film. It reinforces the certainty, left after reading the script, that this production, a page of the Principality's history, is based on erroneous and dubious historical references. The director and producers refused to take into consideration the many observations made by the Palace because these called into question the entire script and the characters of the film.

The Princely Family does not in any way wish to be associated with this film which reflects no reality and regrets that Its history has been misappropriated for purely commercial purposes.

Old 05-02-2014, 09:58 AM
Royal Highness

Don't mess with Monaco ...

Old 05-02-2014, 10:29 AM
Super Moderator
Royal Blogger

Quote:
Originally Posted by melina premiere View Post
THe announcement of the palace to day

Prince's Palace of Monaco
Strong words from the Prince's Palace!
Old 05-03-2014, 04:04 PM
Heir Presumptive

Strangely enough, the families harsh statements will draw a lot more people to see the movie than if the had announced they loved it
Old 05-03-2014, 11:25 PM
Heir Apparent

^^^So true; if they wanted to downplay the movie they would have been better served to have just ignored it; it would have just faded into oblivion. All this negative publicity, especially from the Monaco royalty, now just adds fuel to the fire. I won't pay to see the movie, but now I can't wait for it to come out on DVD to rent from the library!
Old 05-04-2014, 12:21 AM
Courtier

Exactly!

I have just watched Kidman in the Railway Man". Not a dry eye in the room. She did a decent job. Any reservations I may have had about her in this role have now been removed.
Old 05-04-2014, 04:10 AM
Serene Highness

OTOH, this film is opening the Cannes Film Festival, the most glamourous and famous of film festivals (and one which enjoyed very close ties with Monaco).The studio (I don't know which one) clearly doesn't want to downplay it. And with or without the response from the Princely Family it would probably get the people talking. At least, this way the Princely Family is stating its views clearly and making no place for other speculations.
Old 05-04-2014, 05:53 AM
Heir Presumptive

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charlotte_Aster View Post
At least, this way the Princely Family is stating its views clearly and making no place for other speculations.
In the contrary, by so vehemiantly stating their views they give fuel to speculations that there is more truth in it then the average movie-goer would think.
Old 05-04-2014, 06:30 AM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lee-Z View Post
In the contrary, by so vehemiantly stating their views they give fuel to speculations that there is more truth in it then the average movie-goer would think.
I disagree. Any film can do enormous damage to the memory of a person by depicting totally untrue facts. For an example for many Queen Victoria is very much formed by the way Dame Judi Dench played her in the movie Mrs Brown. In reality, when reading excellent biographies and background information on Queen Victoria and John Brown, a total different image emerges, with no any relation to how she was portrayed in the movie.

How often have we not read a book and then seen a movie after that same book, to find out that in our own experience, after reading, we had a total different idea in our minds than when we saw the actual movie? The princely family is right. How their mother is portrayed in this movie will form an idea for many Americans and Europeans for whom Grace Kelly was a big unknown. The person they will see will form their idea of the late Princess, how untrue the depiction possibly can be.

The best example for me is the film Amadeus about the life of Wolfgang Amadeus Mozart. It is a most entertaining movie and gives a great insight in the life, the times and the works of the composer. At the same time the film could not have been more wrong with historical facts. Also the portraying of Antonio Salieri, another great composer of that era and depicted as an evil genius behind Mozart's downfall. Largely pure fiction. But for the millions whom saw this Oscar-winning blockbuster, their image of Salieri has for ever been formed by how F. Murray Abraham depicted him.

Conclusion: the idea that the protests by the princely family seem to indicate that "something must be true" is not corrrect. A movie which is not accurate can result in a character-murder for ever and this on a person who is the beloved mother of three children, alive in our days. They are right to protest. Anyway, like the latest film about Diana, also this one will become a disaster in terms of tickets sale. Mark my words.
Old 05-04-2014, 07:18 AM
Heir Presumptive

For me (but ofcourse my personal opinion only) the protests were too much... I do see your point duc-et-pair,
but one simple "The Princely Family would like it known that the upcoming movie is purely fiction and not based on actual events" would have been sufficient...

For some reason i just don't think this movie will have an impact like Amadeus anyway...so better to just dismiss it and move on..
Old 05-04-2014, 08:07 AM
Heir Apparent

I agree with those post saying that they released too many protests. I can understand that the movie can be fictional and that a movie about thei mother can bother but fro the trailer I don't see it as disrespectul, on anyway only a statement saying that they don't want to be associated with it should have been enough...
Old 05-04-2014, 09:50 AM
Majesty

even though the movie does not seem to have the approval of the palace, i still cannot wait to see it. i bet it will be an amazing production, and n kidman is a great choice to interpret grace.
http://www.theanimalrescuesite.com/
Take some time to sign the petitions @: http://www.thepetitionsite.com/animal-welfare/all
Old 05-04-2014, 10:51 AM
Serene Highness

I'm a big Grace Kelly fan but the trailers look awful and overly soppy. I'll wait for the reviews.
Old 05-04-2014, 12:28 PM
Super Moderator
Royal Blogger

Quote:
Originally Posted by Baroness of Books View Post
^^^So true; if they wanted to downplay the movie they would have been better served to have just ignored it; it would have just faded into oblivion. All this negative publicity, especially from the Monaco royalty, now just adds fuel to the fire. I won't pay to see the movie, but now I can't wait for it to come out on DVD to rent from the library!
Assuming we get a dvd release in the first place
Old 05-04-2014, 02:38 PM
Serene Highness

IMO staying silent is the best way to go. It seems to have worked for the British Royal family in the past. I remember when the film 'The Queen' was in production some in the media speculated the Palace would hate it etc etc but the Palace refused to comment on it. Then when the film was a success and put the Queen in a positive light (which as I understand hadn't been the main point of it when it was planned) there was no need to backtrack on previously made comments etc and the Queen and the monarchy benefited in the end.
Similarly with the recent film about Diana there was no comment from the Palace or William and Harry - to do so would have added fuel to the fire so when it came out and was panned it simply disappeared.
To me the RF of Monaco have scored a bit of an own goal by coming out against it so harshly - if its a good film people/the media will think badly of the RF for trying to stop it, if its bad people will go and see it anyway to see what all the fuss is about!
Old 05-04-2014, 03:52 PM
Heir Presumptive

I get the impression from the strength of this statement that the family feel very let down by the producer/director. If I remember correctly, there was some initial cooperation with the project(?) and certainly filming in Monaco was given the go ahead. Sadly, I do agree that the "unique selling point "of the film will be its denouncement by the Grimaldi family - I can just see the marketing dept rubbing their hands in glee.
Old 05-04-2014, 03:53 PM
Heir Presumptive

in an article, last year in april , Princess Stéphanie said why the family of Monaco was again the movie 'Grace de Monaco', I don't know how to translate, perhaps somebody know how to translate this article. A very interessant article
Stéphanie de Monaco "choquée" de voir Nicole Kidman incarner sa mère - Le Point
Old 05-04-2014, 04:26 PM
Serene Highness

the article basically says that the Grimaldi's (it quotes Stephanie) do not like the fact the film suggests it was Grace who did good things for Monaco and was in effect a power behind the , the article says it takes away from her father - "...but we must respect this wonderful man who was the prince, and the historical reality..."
Old 05-04-2014, 04:27 PM
Heir Presumptive

"Grace of Monaco" (release date unknown)

previous: I think the cooperation I mentioned predates Stephanie's comments. In my memory it goes back to when the project was first mooted. so that suggests the original film treatment was very different to how it turned out. It will be very interested to see who is credited for the script writing and sources.