"Frederiks Unge år" (2014) - Danish Film on Crown Prince Frederik's Youth (Unreleased

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

polyesco

Imperial Majesty
City
san diego
Country
United States
"Frederiks Unge år" (2014) - Danish Film on Crown Prince Frederik's Youth (Unreleased

Apparently a new film about the crown prince, which covers the years from the early 90s to early 00s, will be filmed.

Director Christian Tafdrup, who is currently working to finalize the script, told Politiken that the film will focus on the key events and key people in the crown prince's life.
"It is well known that he would be king, and that the population initially did not consider him as particularly suitable for it. So of course the film is about a successor to assume its task. But it is also a universal story about a young man who becomes an adult. For me it about a young man in their 20s who are struggling with it, often struggling with in his 20s: his identity and recognition from family and the outside world, says Christian Tafdrup to Politiken."

Kronprins Frederiks unge år bliver til film | Kultur | DR

interesting

another article
http://m.b.dk/?article=24705976-Saa-er-der-godt-nyt-til-kongefilmfans

Not overly fond of Tafdrup's work as a director, but maybe that's just me who's been dragged through too many (three is a lot) of his (rather awful) shorts. Also, I think it's awkward to make a film about someone who's still alive, but whatever.

Those actors suggested are good (brilliance takes a human form in Paprika Steen) - just not for those parts. Anders W. Berthelsen looks nothing like Frederik, in fact he's one of the people I'd say look least like him. Nikolaj Lie Kaas more like, he's also incredible at transforming himself into the character he's playing. Stine Stengade may bear a slight resemblance to Mary (not really, just her hair), but she's meh too. Sidse Babett Knudsen may be a bit too old (her looks would be spot on, plus she's one of our best actresses) to play Mary in her late 20's but I don't know, I still think she'd be amazing. For Margrethe and Henrik? I don't know, just not the actors suggested.

:previous: Nice you are coming to Denmark. Hope you will have some nice days here :flowers: But yes certainly bring some warm clothes and as Mary thick socks in your boots. There's even a snowstorm on its way. And I thought that spring was coming :p

Those actors suggested are good (brilliance takes a human form in Paprika Steen) - just not for those parts. Anders W. Berthelsen looks nothing like Frederik, in fact he's one of the people I'd say look least like him. Nikolaj Lie Kaas more like, he's also incredible at transforming himself into the character he's playing. Stine Stengade may bear a slight resemblance to Mary (not really, just her hair), but she's meh too. Sidse Babett Knudsen may be a bit too old (her looks would be spot on, plus she's one of our best actresses) to play Mary in her late 20's but I don't know, I still think she'd be amazing. For Margrethe and Henrik? I don't know, just not the actors suggested.

I think that maybe Bodil Jørgensen would be a idea to play Margrethe. She is maybe a bit too young, but still. She is very characteristic. I have no idea who could play Henrik.

I completely agree about Anders W. Berthelsen doesn't match for Frederik. Nikolaj Lie Kaas is an ideal choice, but for me it could Mads Mikkelsen as well. He is charming, boyish and vulnerable like Frederik, IMO. For Mary the actress Sidse Babett springs to my mind too. Both in terms of their looks, charm and strength, but yes maybe a bit too old to play a young Mary Donaldson. It will be interesting to see who will play the various royals.

:previous:
Bodil Jørgensen is not a bad suggestion at all, she's a chameleon too, she's capable of doing all sort of roles. For Henrik, maybe someone like Bent Mejding (he'll just have to get a belly prosthetic and a French accent :lol:), but again, I have a hard time picturing him as Henrik (he'll always be Jørgen Varnæs in my mind).

Mads Mikkelsen would be amazing too. He's without a doubt our finest actor, he could do anything really.

Is there a title for the film yet?

Last edited:
Both links make reference to "Frederiks Unge år" which Google translates as "Frederik's Young Years" or in better English, "Frederik's Youth". It's not the most catchy title but it could always be changed prior to the film's release.

Surely a worldly wise Princess does not have to "Brace" herself about anything her husband did before he met her!!! By now she would know about the jumping naked into the pool at Cayx. And possibly many other juvenile things. Boys will be boys after all. Showing off and letting off steam is to be expected. Just look at Harry.

It is the Distinguished Man he has become now that matters. The Man who is a great Dad and good husband is what matters now. A man who still gets emotional when he visits his beloved Greenland shows a man with sensitivity in his genes. He will make a good King I expect.

Last edited:
It's old "news"... Over a year ago :flowers: But Australian magzine can create excitement out of everything huh. Let's see if it at all getting into something. The actor (the one who might make a movie) is struggling with financial support and everything in between.

About the idea, he said last year: "It will be a fictional film and a neat one. All people have difficult years of adolescence, and it only gets more difficult when you're the heir to the throne. All heirs to the throne had difficult years, for example also the Swedish Crown Princess Victoria. It will be a film about Frederik's difficult years as a young man. A universal story about a young man who becomes an adult. For me, it's about a young man in his 20s who are struggling with what everyone else is struggling with too in their 20s: their identity. The Danes love Frederik enormously because of his role and behavior. He is an ordinary person placed in an unusual situation. You see one who really has handled his fate. The film will end when he in a beautiful meeting meets Mary and finally become happy and find inner peace."

Still after a year it's on the idea/research level...

Last edited:
It's ridiculous, this film. And I doubt Mary is bracing herself for it – I highly doubt the DRF even cares. I am a firm believer that biopics shouldn't be made till the person you're portraying has been dead for a good while. And it is completely meaningless to me that one would choose to make a film about Frederik, who is alive and well and isn't even king yet, when instead you could make a film about his grandfather or great-grandfather, Frederik IX and Christian X, two of Denmark's most interesting kings.

:previous: Agree. It seems to me that the main purpose of this movie, if it's ever made that is, is to further a career within the the movie-industry.

A documentary about Frederik's life could be interesting, also the more private sides perhaps, but a movie based on Frederik's life?
Perhaps there is a reason why the concept has problems getting funding.

If you are to do a movie about Frederik, do one like The Prince and Me. That's pretty harmless, your tween-daughter can safely watch it and you can have a little chuckle yourself.

Last edited:
The idea of this movie bothers me. The information is already out there, so why does he feel this is necessary? F&M's children shouldn't be exposed to this sort of thing. If the producer has really talked to people close to them, I wonder how long they'll be close. The ''Mary hate website'' is probably having a field day with this, but I refuse to go onto their site to find out! :bang:

:previous: Remember it's a poor DM article. Why should it affect F&M children, I don't even think F&M care. Apart from his role Frederik has before now being a devoted husband and daddy been a normal young guy. Also why it struggles with financial support (understandably, there is nothing special to make a film about) Maybe the film doesn't at all turn into anything, and if, it will be a film about Frederik's early years in his 20's where he (along with other heirs to the throne) should find his identity and role as Crown Prince of a country. Though I think the movie is unnecessary (there's nothing particularly interesting to make a film about) one should take this typical DM with a smile. Danish media have nothing at all. The maybe-film's producer says about the idea:

It will be a fictional film and a neat one. All people have difficult years of adolescence, and it only gets more difficult when you're the heir to the throne. All heirs to the throne had difficult years, for example also the Swedish Crown Princess Victoria. It will be a film about Frederik's difficult years as a young man. A universal story about a young man who becomes an adult. For me, it's about a young man in his 20s who are struggling with what everyone else is struggling with too in their 20s: their identity. The Danes love Frederik enormously because of his role and behavior. He is an ordinary person placed in an unusual situation. You see one who really has handled his fate. The film will end when he in a beautiful meeting meets Mary and finally become happy and find inner peace."

Last edited:
:previous: So it's not a ''done deal.'' That's good. If the film is eventually made, it will be interesting to see how it's received. In any case, it apparently won't be for a while, and a lot can happen in the meantime.

:previous: Indeed.

It seems much more likely the Australian Tv-film will be shown. I may be cynical but my expectations aren't that high.

As someone else pointed out it is a bit odd to make a romantic movie about someone who is very much alive and well and who have only been married for ten years.

Guess we can expect a similar movie about W&K in a few years as well. :whistling:

Last edited by a moderator:
LOL There have already been a few cringe-worthy William and Kate movies. Please, please no more.

According to the Royal Gossip website, the producer of ''Frederik's Young Years'' is having problems getting the film off the ground, because none of Frederik's former girlfriends wants to be interviewed. They have a link to an Ekstra Bladet article. It's all in Danish, so if anyone wants to translate...

Yes, or actually it means no.

First of all 'the movie' has AFAIK never been more than an idea on a piece of paper.
A month ago the author told that the idea/project is postponed indefinitely.

Because "that he is currently very busy with other projects..." but I more think it's because he has very difficult to get financial support and I don't know what...

Back
Top Bottom