Frederik IX - Drama-documentary about Denmarks King Frederik IX.

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Muhler

Imperial Majesty
City
Eastern Jutland
Country
Denmark
The series in five parts will be shown on 1. January 2020 and the following Sundays.

It follows Frederik IX from 1912 until his death in 1972.
The drama-documentary is based on four interviews with Queen Margrethe as well a dramatized episodes from Frederik XI's life and time.

Frederik IX has been selected because he lived in interesting time, historically speaking. Like WWII. But also during an interesting and full transition to a full parliamentarian democracy in Denmark.
That is the gradual change enabling all citizens the right to vote.
The change from the King literally dismissing and appointing governments, with the political influence that entails, to the king formally dismissing and appointing governments.
The role of the royal family during the Occupation.
The public mood leading to the change in the Constitution that meant the QMII would become the next heir, rather than Frederik IX's brother and his family. - and no doubt the problems that entailed.
And of course the role of crown princess, later queen Ingrid, who had such an influence on both her husband but also in the role of the DRF to becoming living role models.

- On the face of it, it sounds very interesting and it will, I think, also be a indirect portrait of QMII in particular.

https://www.berlingske.dk/kultur/ny...-paa-frederik-ix-dronningen-fik-helt-taarer-i

The series will be aired on DR1, which means people outside DK will be able to see it live, or at least later on from the DR1 archive.

ADDED: They have changed the dates in the article, so the post has been updated.

Last edited:
The series in five parts will be shown each Sunday from 2. January 2020.

It follows Frederik IX from 1912 until his death in 1972.
The drama-documentary is based on four interviews with Queen Margrethe as well a dramatized episodes from Frederik XI's life and time.

Frederik IX has been selected because he lived in interesting time, historically speaking. Like WWII. But also during an interesting and full transition to a full parliamentarian democracy in Denmark.
That is the gradual change enabling all citizens the right to vote.
The change from the King literally dismissing and appointing governments, with the political influence that entails, to the king formally dismissing and appointing governments.
The role of the royal family during the Occupation.
The public mood leading to the change in the Constitution that meant the QMII would become the next heir, rather than Frederik IX's brother and his family. - and no doubt the problems that entailed.
And of course the role of crown princess, later queen Ingrid, who had such an influence on both her husband but also in the role of the DRF to becoming living role models.

- On the face of it, it sounds very interesting and it will, I think, also be a indirect portrait of QMII in particular.

https://www.berlingske.dk/kultur/ny...-paa-frederik-ix-dronningen-fik-helt-taarer-i

The series will be aired on DR1, which means people outside DK will be able to see it live, or at least later on from the DR1 archive.

Mange tak! I shall certainly look forward to this in the new year:flowers:

It looks really interesting, especially the parts about the transition from executive monarchy to ceremonial monarchy, the German occupation and the 1953 act of succession. Unfortunately it is inaccessible to us outside Denmark ( or perhaps Norway and Sweden) if the series is available only in Danish.

Last edited:
DR1 aired the first episode last night and lasting one hour it was surprisingly good and very frank! Brilliant actually.

It's a drama documentary, in the sense that it's a mix between actors playing scenes from Frederik IX's life and (genuine, specialized) historians and a person who knew Frederik IX intimately, his daughter QMII - who has the added advantage that she actually understands first hand how it is to be an heir, a monarch and the head of a dynasty.

While focusing on Frederik IX, it is also an indirect portrait of Christian X as well as Queen Alexandrine, who was a loving and caring mother, whom Frederik IX adored.

Christian X was in the words of QMII a very conservative man. He was also, again in the words of QMII, an oldfashioned father even for his time. Not because he was unloving or uncaring father, he was - in his way. But because he saw it as his duty to prepare and bring up Frederik IX to be a good king. As such Frederik IX was beaten and pretty regularly.
Christian X was an army-man to the core! And he ran the court like a barracks. He was despite his rough exterior a feely-touchy man. When under pressure he could react with rage or burst into tears.
He absolutely loved the army and he loved the army life, this was a lifestyle, where he felt at home. Also in civilian contexts.

Frederik IX was a sensitive boy, something his father seemingly never seemed to comprehend. His lifelong passion was music, so from around the age of twelve he received private lessons in singing, playing music and conducting at the home of one of DKs leading musicians - in whose home he felt very much at ease and at home.
In the wonderful words (and facial expressions) of QMII, Frederik IX absolutely hated riding horses! But his father insisted he should ride, because that's what army officers do. And "he was perhaps not the best pedagogue in the world."

Frederik IX and his brother were home-schooled up to and including high school. In between that they made a lot of mischief and fought among themselves as well.

When Frederik IX turned eighteen he was of age (in the civilian society it was 21, but for heirs it was eighteen) and had to attend his first State Council, wearing a in his opinion totally undeserved army uniform as a lieutenant a la suite. In the words of QMII: "It was perhaps not most exciting day."

To his father's bafflement, Frederik IX insisted on joining the navy as a sea-cadet, rather than the army, which was the proper way - and going the full four year training at the naval academy. He instantly felt at home in the navy and that was the beginning of a life-long love of the sea and the navy.
Frederik IX went to sea during WWI and even though DK was neutral, the military was naturally in a heightened state of alert and the activity level was high.

This first segment covers roughly the period from 1912 to the Easter Crisis in 1920.
With particular emphasis on the change of the Constitution in 1915 (which was the most important change since 1849) and the Easter Crisis.

Prior to 1915 only some 20 % of the population could vote and be elected to a political office. After the change most of the population including women could vote and be elected. (Today 100 % can per default vote.)
That of course changed the political environment totally!
(If you study the period it was surprisingly progressively. I'd say in many ways more progressive than today.)

One of these changes was that the Monarch lost the right to place a number of his own people in the Parliament thus losing considerable political influence. As a conservative authoritarian Christian X was not pleased!
After the end of WWI there was a referendum in Schleswig and Holstein, that DK had lost to Germany at the Second Schleswigan War in 1864, as to whether they wished to belong to DK or Germany. What is today Southern Jutland voted to reunite with DK.
That was acknowledged by the government. But conservative forces agreed with Christian X in his view that the whole of Schleswig and Holstein should rejoin DK.
The then PM Sahle and Christian X very much disliked each other! And when Christian X summoned the PM, without having consulted his own advisors, it ended in a row, and presumably in a fit of rage Christian X dismissed the government on the spot.
Most of the political spectrum went up in arms and there were mass-demonstrations at Amalienborg demanding the King to resign. This at a period where monarchies fell like dominoes! - Something the dismissed government wouldn't be displeased with...
At some point Christian X told his son: "You may never become king." It was deeply serious! Christian X was accused of trying to commit a coup d'etat. Strictly speaking he wasn't. It was, and still is, the monarch who appoint and dismiss governments. But doing it on his own initiative was bending the rules too much!
It wasn't because Christian wanted to be an absolute ruler or wished to usurp power, but as an authoritarian he genuinely believed the king should have an important political role to play. (And to that I can add that it was politicians who started the catastrophic Second Schleswigan War, so to some extend he had a point IMO.)
It was the Social Democrats, headed by the later PM Thorvald Stauning, who saved Christian X. They suggested and approved a general election, with a given result, considering the circumstances. And that cemented the fact that the Monarch went from being a political figure to a symbolic figure.
- But it was close! DK was very close to becoming a republic!

I'm not sure I appreciate the dramatized segments, but I understand and respect that they attract a wider audience.
All in all a series that is of interest to those with some historical interest as well as to the real history buffs and I do intend to watch the whole series, which is available at least to Danish viewers online.

I will, as soon as I find a link, post it here, with some text pointing out the highlights and translating quotes I for whatever reason think are relevant or amusing.

ADDED.

Are you able to watch this outside DK?
https://www.dr.dk/drtv/se/frederik-ix_-i-farlige-tider_158614

Just wonderful. Many thanks for taking the time and effort Muhler. I learn so much from you.

Yes I can, but unfortunately I don't speak Danish.

I am particularly curious about the documentary's depiction of Denmark during World War II since the Danish government's (and indeed the Royal Family's) response to the German invasion and their relationship with the Nazi regime are highly controversial until today.

Last edited:
Yes I can, but unfortunately I don't speak Danish.

I am particularly curious about the documentary's depiction of Denmark during World War II since the Danish government's (and indeed the Royal Family's) response to the German invasion and their relationship with the Nazi regime are highly controversial until today.

Excellent!

I will write a short running commentary later.

The next segment should cover Frederik IX's youth, including his engagements and his marriage to a certain Princess Ingrid as well as the beginning of the Occupation from 9th April 1940.
So your curiosity will hopefully be satisfied.

I suggest you who are interested keep an eye on YouTube. This series is bound to end up there shortly - and hopefully with English subtitles.

You are welcome, Tarlita. ?

Is it as lavish as the Crown,I'm not really a documentary drama fan but Frederik IX's life and times are highly fascinating.

Is it as lavish as the Crown,I'm not really a documentary drama fan but Frederik IX's life and times are highly fascinating.

I don't know.
I understand the Crown has been somewhat controversial and accused of "interpreting facts".

This is a firsthand account of Frederik IX by his daughter and professional historians who specialize in the DRF who are providing the material and comments - I don't think any of them wish to "interpret" anything too freely

IIRC wasn't his nickname Rico? He was a handsome young man and was briefly engaged to Princess Olga of Greece. A granddaughter of the Grand Duchess Vladimir. He called off the engagement for some reason and then became engaged to the Princess Ingrid of Sweden.
Grand Duchess Vladimir / Maria Pavlovna was not very happy from what I read as Frederik was a Crown Prince and her granddaughter would one day be Queen.

At any rate it will be interesting to see how they cover this period.

Last edited:
IIRC wasn't his nickname Rico? He was a handsome young man and was briefly engaged to Princess Olga of Greece. A granddaughter of the Grand Duchess Vladimir. He called off the engagement for some reason and then became engaged to the Princess Ingrid of Sweden.
Grand Duchess Vladimir / Maria Pavlovna was not very happy from what I read as Frederik was a Crown Prince and her granddaughter would one day be Queen.

At any rate it will be interesting to see how they cover this period.
Rico was indeed the King's nickname within the family. The reasons I've heard for the engagement between him and Princess Olga getting called off was that they discovered that they weren't that much in love and that Frederik's drinking put Olga off.
It's widely believed that Queen Ingrid put a stop for much of his too excessive drinking and there are also rumours that he was on Antabus for some periods of his life. Frederik was madly in love with Ingrid, who ended up loving him too, and didn't take many decisions without consulting her first.

Thank you JR. I never read that he was a drinker as a young man.

This looks very interesting! I hope it goes on you tube with English subtitles soon.

I'm especially interested about the period of the Nazi occupation & Christian's role at the time.

Last edited:
This looks very interesting! I hope it goes on you tube with English subtitles soon.

I'm especially interested about the period of the Nazi occupation & Christian's role at the time.

I don’t know much about it, but the English-language history books describe the position of the King and of the Danish government ( at least until it was de facto disbanded in 1943 ?) as “cooperation” , which lies somewhere in between resistance and collaboration. After reading more about it, I tend to think of it more as “ selective collaboration” or collaboration with certain red lines, but I don’t know if the Danes would agree.

In any case, that is a controversial topic in Denmark not least because of former PM Rasmussen’s public apology and some sectors of the Danish establishment ( including the Queen ? ) criticizing it.

Last edited:
I don’t know much about it, but the English-language history books describe the position of the King and of the Danish government ( at least until it was de facto disbanded in 1943 ?) as “cooperation” , which lies somewhere in between resistance and collaboration. After reading more about it, I tend to think of it more as “ selective collaboration” or collaboration with certain red lines, but I don’t know if the Danes would agree.

In any case, that is a controversial topic in Denmark not least because of former PM Rasmussen’s public apology and some sectors of the Danish establishment ( including the Queen ? ) criticizing it.

I wasn't aware of that recent controversy, thank you for informing me. I guess the closest parallel for people in the UK/English speaking world would be the occupation of the Channel Islands.

:previous: The Occupation is (or rather was) a very controversial subject here in DK - as it was and very much still is in most European countries to this day.

In DK we have had a very frank and honest debate about the Occupation, the Resistance, the Collaboration, the "field mattresses" = women who dated German soldiers, the Danish soldiers who joined Waffen SS to fight on the Eastern Front, the Evacuation of the Jews, The skirmishes at the border on 9th April, the profiteers and people adapting to the daily life under an Occupation and the way collaborators (and innocents) were treated during and after the Liberation 1945.
It has been a very sobering look but also extremely interesting, sometimes heroic, sometimes shameful but never black and white.
It has helped dispelling the myths that were often self-glorifying and enabled people to have a more nuanced look at the Occupation. But is remains a taboo best left undisturbed in many countries - because what happened in DK during the Occupation also happened in most central and west European countries that were occupied - including the Channel Islands. Also proportionally. I.e. the percentage of people who collaborated with the Germans were roughly the same in most countries and those who were active in the Resistance were also roughly the same proportionally speaking.

I have written at length about these topics here on TRF and for those interested I suggest you do a search on my posts for these dates: ninth April and fourth and fifth May.
In that way I won't have to repeat myself here in this thread.

But let's return to the documentary.

https://www.dr.dk/drtv/se/frederik-ix_-i-sin-fars-skygge_158605

Start: Frederik and Knud were homeschooled up to and including high school and as such had fairly little contact with other children their age. And Frederik IX (F9 from now on) felt lonely.

1:15 - "My father and Christian X (C10 from now on) were different personalities in various ways. My father was decidedly a sensitive soul. No doubt about that. Very much so."

1:40 - "C10 was very much a military man as you were back then and he had certainly when they were very young envisioned them as becoming officers and as such they should naturally be able to ride.
- My dad HATED riding! I don't think my farfar was the world's best pedagogue.
- My dad didn't have an altogether easy time as a boy, he sure didn't."

C10 becomes king in 1912. F9 had just turned thirteen.

He was called Rico from very young. That was a tradition within the family.

5:00 - the ones they see the most are their nannies and teacher - and sometimes they have to report their mischiefs to their dad.

6:05 - "They teased their teacher terrible and many things happened I think... They were often fighting as well."

It wasn't a warm and loving home. C10 was an officer to the core!

6:55 - "C10 was an old-fashioned dad, also back then."

7:20 - "Back then children were thrashed and their dad was in no way restrained in regards to beating them.
- That their dad had a heavy hand in regards to his sons was not unusual back then. Perhaps not least in regards to his oldest."

He used a ruler, he had on his desk.

8:00 - QMII explains that C10 being a heavy-handed dad was in part because he felt responsible for F9 being able and capable of succeeding him later.

C10 was conservative! In a time of transition, from states being build on the foundation of the monarchy and monarch to becoming a state build on a democratic foundation. That was difficult for C10 to accept and adjust to.
Only around 20 % of danish citizens could vote and be elected to a political office.
C10 had great difficulty in accepting the idea that women should be allowed to vote.
Another problem was that after the amended Constitution of 1915 there would no longer be members of the Parliament appointed by the king. Thus reducing his political influence.
C10's Cabinet Secretary (political advisor) was a moderate man who tried to and succeeded in restraining the king.
He is so much against the proposed change of the Constitution that he ponders dismissing the government. As he believed that change would constitute a direct danger for Denmark.

13:00 When F9 was distressed he sought solace with his mother.

13:15 - "Queen Alexandrine was a very mild person. - He was terribly fond of his mother. She had a particular soft spot for her eldest, among other things because they shared a joy for music."

F9 could "hear" music from reading the musical notes.

QMII explains that her farmor was very musically inclined and no doubt was the reason why F9 came to love music. That artistic mind was in contrast to that of his father's.
They often went to the theater during winter and F9 loved it.
From the royal box you can directly down on the orchestra so F9 could follow every little detail the conductor, Høeberg, made.

17:40 - F9 is here being presented to the brother of the conductor, singer Georg Høeberg, who was to have a huge influence on the artistic and personal side of F9. Because F9 would from now on attend private lessons in the Høeberg home.
C19 didn't really comprehend that music was such a passion for F9.

18:50 - F9 and Knud are after some mischief aboard Dannebrog (the old one, a paddlesteamer) and after a suggestion by the captain enrolled in the crew and assigned duties for the rest of their teen years. The boys loved it! Forming the basis for F9's lifelong love of the sea and the navy.
19:30 - QMII explains that when F9 was very young and was asked what he wanted to be when he grew up, he replied that he wanted to be a mate aboard the Great Belt ferry. That was the grandest he could imagine.
The captain of Dannebrog was a naval officer of the right kind and his crews adored him. Strict but fair.
F9 got the number 461 and Knud 462.

Later on as a consequence of being a mate aboard Dannebrog F9 decides to get his officers training in the navy - which was pretty unusual. C10 would have preferred the army. And it took some convincing before that was okayed.

24:00 - The change of the Constitution of 1915 is a reality and in order to be valid it must be signed by the king.
The PM and C10 did not see eye to eye! They did their best to annoy each other.
The political majority at the time at least in principle favored a republic.
C10 was behind is rough facade a very sensitive person would could react with rage or tears when put under pressure.
The Constitution of 1915 changed DK into a genuine democracy, representing the people by the people. With most now being allowed to vote and run or office.

30:00 - F9 became close to Høeberg family and felt at home there. He went there almost daily.

1917. - F9 has finished high school at Amalienborg.
QMII explains that music became a refuge for her father when things got a bit too hot at home.
At around18-19 he starts getting singing lessons as well. This time at another Høeberg, Albert Høeberg.

31:40 - F9 turns eighteen and is now of age. That applies to heirs, because the legal age was otherwise 21. As such he attends his first meeting of the State Council - where he is to observe and learn.

32:35 - "I recall he spoke about about his eighteenth birthday with very limited enthusiasm."
C10 insisted on F9 wearing a uniform, so he was appointed lieutenant a la suite. "It tormented my dad terrible that he was to pretend to be a lieutenant and on top of that in the army! And all he wanted was to join the navy as cadet."
In his speech on that day C10 encourage his son to always follow his (political) conviction something the government saw as a provocation, as they believed the king should be above political convictions.

31:10 - Pledging to adhere to the Constitution.
F9 though wasn't particularly interested in politics.

36:00 - Joining the Naval Academy for a full four year training as officer.
QMII explains it was a big change, now that he for the first time was to be with young men of often very different background.
F9 starts out by insisting on being informal and using informal you.

37:55 - Among the close friends he found at the academy he remained HK ever after. Because he was addressed Hans Kongelige højhed = His Royal highness when on duty, so they nicknamed him HK. And he very much appreciated being treated like everybody else by his mates.

F9 found in the navy the same camaraderie as his father had found in the army. Here he could be himself.
In 1917, there was a lot of activity in the navy, due to WWI. Even though DK was neutral.
At some point they ended up in Britain, which was often visited by the Danish navy, but when attempting to bunk coal in Leeds, the workers were on strike, so the crew, including the cadets had to shovel coal themselves. F9 was actually on duty, but opted to join his mates in shoveling coal - and getting dirty and there is a photo of them at 40:30 - And the men on this photo became his closest friends for life.

WWI ended, monarchies toppled all over Europe.
Schleswig and Holstein voted about being reunited with DK. There was only a majority for doing so in Northern Slesvig and as such they were to rejoin in 1920. C10 wanted all of Holstein and Schleswig to join the Danish realm. there was no political backing for doing that.
C10 could not accept that decision and backed by conservatives he considered sacking the government.

45:00 - Easter 1920. C10 meets with the PM, who loathe each other, without his cabinet secretary being present and probably in a fit of rage sacks the government on the spot. C10 started out by suggesting the government called a general election. The PM pointed out that there was no political majority against the government. But the government was sacked, as the monarch is actually entitled to do. Albeit it very much against the democratic system as it worked then and now.
The politicians mobilized and aided by the press C10 completely lost control of the situation! There were mass-demonstrations at Amalienborg calling for C10 to abdicate - and indeed the monarchy to be abolished. the situation was most serious!
C10 appointed his own government - but that was sidelined by the public and political sentiments. Not least because the new ministers did not have a political background let alone were democratically elected. And many wanted to introduce a republic.

50:00 F9 went to the Høeberg family from the academy but it soon became clear that it was risky for him to return to Amalienborg through the crowd, so he dressed discreetly and returned home that way.

52:00 - the later PM, Thorvald Stauning, comes to the rescue of C10. Urging him to accept a compromise. Something C10 was reluctant to do, but he realized the gravity of the situation, at some point telling his son, that he might not become king. And eventually caves in appoints a new government (of politicians) and calls a general election. The result is of course a certainty: It goes politically against C10 but the monarchy is saved.
It was a sobering experience for F9 as well! He learned the hard way how fragile the monarchy could be and that he would need to co-operate with the politicians when his time came.

The Easter Crisis was a lesson for the DRF. they realized that they were now a symbolic power, rather than a political power.

- It took two hours to write this summary, so I hope you have patience. ;)

And here is the second episode in the series, covering the youth and early adulthood of F9 up until the Occupation in 1940.
I'll write an overview when I have seen it myself.
https://www.dr.dk/drtv/se/frederik-ix_-den-svaere-kaerlighed_158611

Those who simply cannot wait for the third and fourth segments can find them on DR.dk.

Third segment. The Occupation:

Fourth segment. becoming king. from 1947 to his death in 1972.
https://www.dr.dk/drtv/se/frederik-ix_-skaebnen-forpligter_158599

Mange tak! I shall certainly look forward to this in the new year:flowers:

Mange mange tak Muhler for your two hours spent in translating! I am delighted to report I can watch the documentary here in Toronto so that your effort is more than helpful! Happy New Year indeed to you and yours:flowers:

Okay, let's have a look at the second segment, that covers the youth and marriage of F9 until the Occupation in 1940.

In 1922 F9 lives a carefree bachelor life.
As a reaction to WWI they way young people interacted was markedly different from pre-WWI. It was also a time of growing optimism.
I Cannes, where the jet set and royal meet, F9 met a Greek princess whom he fell for on the spot! And he wrote to his father telling him, he found the one - a queen to be. Because that was one of F9's most important tasks - to find a future queen.

QMII: It was out of the question for F9 to marry a commoner. that would mean giving up the throne.

So F9 sends a telegram home to dad, explaining that he is about to get engaged to Princess Olga of Greece.
Daddy is actually very pleased. She's a very suitable match.
The government is pretty pleased as well! But Olga is Greek-Orthodox, so the government insert a condition saying that the children must be raised as Protestants.
A very suitable and good match! And if they love each other too, so much the better! And getting married young was no problem, that was normal in the family.

6:00 - F9 leaves for Greece to have a closer look at his fiancee and for the future in-laws to have a closer look at him.
QMII: C10 and F9 were very different characters and C10 was a very strict father, something F9 wasn't comfortable with.

7:55 - Frederik: The friendship my farfar had with his naval-officer comrades was warm and equal - eye-to-eye.

F9 and Olga had actually only met once and only known each other for five days.
So it's soon clear that Olga and F9 are two young people who have acted in an impulse and who really don't know each other. And F9 decides he won't marry Olga anyway. (It also seems to me from the footage, that F9 perhaps drank a little too much.)
10:40 - QMII: I don't really know why they were engaged and I don't really know either why they broke up. But it probably wasn't written in the stars that it was to be the two of them.

It wasn't customary to break an engagement in general and it sure wasn't in royal circles!
Dad is livid!!
13:00 - QMII both father and son had a certain temper, so there was a row.

This mistake most likely was the reason why F9 took so long before he finally found the right one.
He works on this by throwing himself into the job as navy officer.
He needed to get away and he feel free at sea and in the navy he is judged on what he can and not who he is.
Frederik: In that way he knew he had earned his place in the navy.

---------------

15:00 - Thirteen years on.
1935 and 36 years old. Now a full captain. And his first command of a ship.
His navy career was impressive. From a young lieutenant in 1922 to full captain in 1936 there was only one year (1932) he wasn't at sea.
16:40 - Frederik in his time in the navy he would at shore sometimes meet older sailors who praised his farfar for being a good sailor and good officer. And who could also speak the language of sailors... ;)
But the pressure is on for finding a wife, because he is nearing his expiry date marriage wise. And in Stockholm there was a certain Ingrid...
Ingrid was modern woman, well-educated, well-bred, elegant and socially caring (for the less fortunate). As such she was sought after.
QMII: "Mother's upbringing was quite different from that of dad's. She had four brothers. - Mormor, Princess Margaretha, was a very warm and loving mother. She breastfed her own children which was most unusual in royal circles at the time. at the same time was extrovert with a social commitment. And I think mother inherited some of that."

Ingrid's mother died in 1920 when Ingrid was ten years old. It was devastating for Ingrid and she became a very serious girl as a consequence.
QMII: "My mother's upbringing was warm, but the warmth ended when she was ten years old. It put it's mark on my mother. She was quite lonely, I think in her late childhood and youth. - I later understood that this was the key to my mother."

F9 and Ingrid of course knew each other and they had met on occasion.
QMII explains that her father didn't want to go into details, but he used a wish for him to attend a concert with Høeberg (see previous summary) in Stockholm - and he could meet Ingrid at the same time. He had tried to start a courtship with years before, but was turned down, something that annoyed F9. Ingrid felt she was too young. - But this time...!
And the press soon gets wind of there possibly being something between C9 and Ingrid.
24:35 F9 woke up on the spot when he learned from the papers that he was about to get married to Ingrid!
C10 is not happy either!
It was all pretty embarrassing! And he was nervous it would ruin everything in regards to Ingrid. But off he went to Stockholm.
Ingrid puled him aside and pretty much commanded (to F9's amusement) to sit beside her to have a talk. - And there he proposes. And gets a yes!
She wasn't yet 25 and he was almost 36.
F9 and Ingrid complemented each other extraordinarily well.

29:30 - QMII: "My father was very much in love all the years, and my mother likewise. Before the wedding my mother gave a speech on the radio, saying goodbye to the Swedish people and explaining that now here future was in Denmark."
QMII explains that normally the marriage to a crown prince would take place in his country, but not this time. Ingrid was pretty much the only princess around in Sweden at the time, so the wedding took place in Stockholm.
QMII: "I dare say, she would like to get away from Stockholm. She would like to try something that could utilize her abilities and occupy her. She believed being married to the Danish crown prince was a job for life. She definitely believed so."
They sailed home to DK aboard the brandnew Dannebrog.
QMII: But they would never had been allowed to sail back aboard Dannebrog if it was F9 who had asked, but Ingrid, that was another matter! F9 probably wouldn't have dared asking anyway.

Ingrid got a rapturous welcome to DK! There was Ingrid all over the place!
30:20 QMII explains that as C10 was a tough gentleman the whole family was a little scared of him. Except for Ingrid, When he answered the phone he always shouted. But when Ingrid was on the phone his tone of voice became mild. Somehow she had found a way to him. (The daughter he didn't have, I wonder?)
But the Danes thought Ingrid as a bit stiff and didn't smile much, but she was reserved, because that's the way the Swedes were back then.
34:15 QMII: "... while in Denmark if you don't smile you are asked: are you crossed? Right? And that was something new for her."

The public found Ingrid "very Swedish" and that was no compliment! She was also posh and a bit un-Danish.
being intelligent she realized she had to learn Danish and become Danish.
QMII: Her throat was sore all winter from practicing Danish.

Part 2:

F9 and Ingrid got Gråsten Manor as a wedding present by the state. Being located in Southern Jutland it was no coincidence. The moved in there in August 1936. F9 was very much aware of the significance of having a royal residence in Southern Jutland.
The border-issues in regards to Denmark and Germany was instrumental in Ingrid feeling Danish. Such border issues was unknown in Sweden, but here she learned that being Danish really meant something concrete.
It was after all by no means certain Southern Jutland would remain Danish, there were nationalistic sentiments in Germany at the time.
At the same time there was a severe crisis in especially that part of DK at the time. Southern Jutland was poor. Ingrid threw herself into social help in that part of DK. (The Southern Jutlanders never forgot that. Many would have met her personally as children and benefited personally as well.)

40:00 - QMII: "She said it was Denmark that taught her to smile, but it was Southern Jutland that taught her to become Danish."
Ingrid had great and genuine people skills. Earning her tremendous respect - also politically.
But there are black clouds in the horizon...

Governments since WWI had re-scaled the Danish military to the point that it was unable to defend the country. The reasoning being that war was horrible and DK would remain neutral no matter what.
The aim for DK was to stay well below the radar and preferably remain unnoticed by the larger powers.
Hitler reassured in 1939 that Germany had no intention of violating Danish neutrality. (It almost ended up being true. DK was occupied as an after thought. The main objective being Norway.)
DK had escaped the horrors of WWI being remaining neutral and low key, the hope was that this would work again.

------------

44:00 - WWII starts. Ingrid was pregnant with her first child.
(Don't know about you, but even though I have seen and heard about so many wars starting on the news, these wireless bulletins seem so much more chilling to me, so much more somber and down right frightening in comparison with the 24/7 war coverage today.)
F9 felt he had to do something, so he phoned the head of the navy and requested being in command of Peder Skram, which was the closest thing DK had to a battleship at the time. She was sunk in 1943.
He is denied. The idea of the crown prince sailing in a ship that is guaranteed to see action should war start, was unacceptable. Instead it is suggested he takes up a position on lad - in safety. F9 accepts.
QMII: Active service for a crown prince in times of war is a no go, even if Denmark is not directly involved.

But nothing happens. It's Sitzkrieg until April 1940.
Early April. There are reports of German warships and troop transports sailing through Danish waters heading north. German troops are concentrated south of the border.
Something is up! An occupation of DK is deemed unlikely, but the ships sailing north means only one thing: Norway. The Danish military is not mobilized. It's: stay as low as possible!
But the the reports that DK is a target comes in the day before the Occupation. It's now too late to mobilize.

9th April 1940, at 04.15 the attack begins. - "Your Royals Highness. The Germans have attacked. You must join your father at once."
53:40 - "QMII: My mother was furious when she was told. She sat op in bed, my father told and said: Those shits! - It wasn't correct Danish and it wasn't particularly proper Danish. And dad said: Yes, you are right."
Actually a battalion of Germans were at this moment disembarking a few hundred meters from Amalienborg.
The events that day meant the C10 and F9 gets centerstage in Danish politics again, being directly involved in the decision being taken that morning while hearing the bombers flying low overhead. Because according to the Constitution, the monarch start and end wars.
The military situation was by now hopeless, so it became a matter of how long the troops in action should fight, in order to point out that DK had surrendered unwillingly to the Allies.
C10 wish to fight, albeit it pretty much symbolically, just a little bit longer...
The PM, Thorvald Stauning (with whom C10 had a good mutual respectful co-operation) urged capitulation. F9 agrees.
This also becomes a turning point for F9. From now on his is much more directly involved in ruling the country.

57:20 - QMII: "My mother who had very little sympathy for Germany, in any circumstances, I think she was so appalled that she simply didn't have time to be afraid. I don't know if my father was afraid. I don't think he was afraid. But certainly appalled. And in despair over being in that situation where he could do nothing."

Okay, I've just seen the third segment. About the Occupation.

F9 realized the necessity of collaborating with the Germans, while Ingrid struggled with that notion.
And years later, when QMII was queen, she say they felt ashamed. Not just sad, but ashamed.
As officers both F9 and C10 felt a deep sense of humiliation.

QMII labels C10 as "not the easiest man to be the son of."
Because he was not particularly inclined to share the burden of reigning DK with his son, not even in these difficult times.
What was expected was a long war, with Germany as the victors and that DK as such would remain occupied for a generation or so.

16th April 1940. QMII was born and her dad was "terribly proud of me, right from the beginning." There is in fact a photo dated 17th April with the text: "My own (little) girl."
The birth of QMII was rightfully described at the time as "a light in the dark."

There was no question of the DRF going into exile. They had to stay in DK and share what came with the people.

C10 became a daily, riding symbol that Denmark was still there.

Erik Scavenius was appointed Foreign Minister and he was probably the most competent foreign minister DK has had for centuries and was tasked with the difficult and unenviable and certainly thankless job of trying to maintain as good a relationship with Germany without compromising Denmarks sovereignty (as much as was left) and autonomy. He did surprisingly well until the collapse of the collaboration policy in 1943.
But many saw him then and later as a quisling. - And he knew he would be viewed in that light.
Politically, due to his role, he became de facto the most important person in DK until 1943. And politically he was in control.

QMII learned to speak very early on, so her parents were very careful about never discussing the occupation in front of her.

29th September 1942. Hitler was furious!
What had happened was that Hitler had send a congratulatory telegram to C10 on his 70th birthday. - Long and flowery telegram.
Christian X responded in the shortest manner possible: "Min bedste tak" = Thank you.
Hitler took it as a deliberate personal insult. (It no doubt was.)
Scavenius was pretty annoyed with C10. And an apology of some sort is send to Berlin from the Foreign Office, but DK is put on ice for a long period in Berlin. The mood is ominous!
And it is in this atmosphere C10 one day falls from his horse and is critically injured. Injured so bad he cannot ride again. He is a cripple.
In that period when he is committed, C10 - reluctantly - sign a document making F0 Regent. That happened 27th October 1942. - And the situation with Germany was still somber!

4th November. In order to prove goodwill towards Germany F9 was forced to resign the government and appoint a new one. F9 did that reluctantly and as such, under demand from Berlin, Scavenius was made the new PM.
Politically it's not a popular move! Scavenius is seen as both traitor and savior at the same time.
That happened after F9 met with the party leaders. Scavenius as PM meant that the peaceful relations between DK and Germany continued for some time yet.
The party leaders were surprised to meet a mature man, who was willing to make the responsible decision for DK. Here F9 becomes king, albeit still not in name.
C10 was not pleased with the decision!

In January 1943 a shipyard in Copenhagen was bombed. It was direct signal from the Allies that if DK was not able to stop supplying war-material to Germany, they would do it. The hard way! - Meaning DK would be bombed. Are you with us (the Allies) or against us?

In May 1943 C10 is back in the saddle.
And the first task he gets is to give a speech on the wireless, denouncing sabotage - written by the Scavenius government.
And at this time it began to be clear that Germany could lose the war, so opposition might not be futile idealism. As such the Resistance movement is very much on the rise.
C10 was not particular supportive of sabotage. That was in his law and order mind, anarchy. (He preferred fighting honorably with open visor, so to speak. I can add that many professional military officers - including Allied officers - felt the same. Because they preferred being able to quietly gathering intelligence and that was easier if things were peaceful.)

But the resistance increased, with more and more sabotage leading to more and more German pressure on the DK government to do something harsher to stop sabotage.

As crown prince C9 could not join the Resistance, but he was pretty well informed about what went on, not least in connection with the navy and what navy officers were doing. One of F9's close friends was head of the navy, so F9 knew what would happen, should the Germans try and take the Danish navy. (They were under orders to sail to Sweden and be interned there or scuttle the ships if that wasn't possible and to open fire, if fired upon.)

On the 28th August 1943 the collaboration policy became untenable and the government resigned. And given the circumstances no new Danish government could be appointed, because no politicians would accept the German demands.
That meant that no one knew what the German reaction could be - both for Denmark but also for the politicians and the DRF personally, they could have ended up being killed.
The Germans made their move at dawn the next day 29th August 1943.
The Danish military was interned after skirmishes in various parts of the country. And DK became genuinely occupied under a German governor. With Danish civil servants administering the country on a day to day basis.

The navy is scuttled and there was fighting in various parts of the country and also at sea.
F9 living in the same mansion as M&F live in today, would have been able to see the navy ships being sunk from the windows.
Sinking the navy was a part of DK being accepted as one of the Allied.

What happened initially at Amalienborg was that detachment of German soldiers knocked on the door of F9's residence, demanding to search the place. - So what now? Would they be shot? Taken off to Germany?
Ingrid was heavily pregnant with Benedikte and the pregnancy was complicated. She was i danger of losing the child if the went out of bed. But she simply did not want Germans entering her home! Period!
The Germans end not entering Amalienborg, but they have now taken direct military control of Denmark.
Shortly after armed Danish police took over guarding the DRF and Amalienborg.

But now at least the Germans were now officially the enemy.

Shortly after all this, the Danish Jews were to be interned and shipped away to concentration camps. We all know how that went, almost all were smuggled to Sweden.

The DRF, especially F9 and his family became ever closer associated with the Resistance. Being in contact with the heads of the Resistance The Freedom Council listening to the illegal broadcasts from BBC and getting illegal papers.

September 1944. The Germans seize the police (an uncle of mine was fortunate to avoid capture and went underground.) There was fighting at Amalienborg between Germans and Danish police.
The Germans take over guarding Amalienborg and there were genuine concerns about the safety of the DRF, so a secret tunnel is build, making it possible to evacuate the DRF, should it be necessary. (That is covered somewhere in the residence threads in the DK forum.) And considering that C10 was an invalid, that meant the CP family.

March 1945. DK is as close to anarchy as it has been since the 1600's. There is no police, no law and order. Sabotage and Shallburtage is the order of the day. Liquidations is a daily occurrence.

QMII tells about a day in late March, 21st March, when she was out walking with her nanny, escorted by her dad's valet. Then the air-raid sirens went off. She had heard them before, but always at night.
That was British Mosquito bombers on their way to precision-bomb the Gestapo HQ in Copenhagen. The HQ was indeed bombed, but by a tragic mistake a school was bombed as well, with the loss of many lives.
When she was met by her dad at home she asked: Dad, was it rubbish? (German planes) - No, it was the English.

4th May in the evening. The Liberation Message. The German troops in DK will surrender to the Allies the next day. - Jubilation in the streets!!!

QMII remember that evening. She went out of bed and couldn't understand why people were shouting hurrah. It wasn't farfar's birthday?!? (The German soldiers had quietly returned to their barracks and members of the Resistance took over guarding Amalienborg.)
F9 came up and took her downstairs where she was given lemon-fizzy water. That was a rare treat!

It was a very relieved C10 who learned that DK was free again. But he had never fully recovered from his fall. But he manged to take part in the first opening of the Parliament after the Occupation.

QMII ends by saying that these first five years of her life, defined her. It defined the way she view herself, her country and what happens around us.

- It is impossible to cover this dramatic period in any depth and include all the many events taking place. - The internment of the Communists was not mentioned for example. Nor the personal issues within the DRF in relation to certain members who were pro-German.
This is merely a rough summary of the main events and IMO mainly aimed at those who already have a deeper knowledge of what went on during WWII in general and in DK in particular.

Last edited:
:previous: You are welcome. ?

The fourth segment has just been aired on TV and it was without a doubt the most poignant episode of them all!
Very personal, very emotional. And they succeeded in conveying the emotions in the drama clips.

https://www.dr.dk/drtv/se/frederik-ix_-skaebnen-forpligter_158599

We start in 1947, Christian X is dead.
Now the burden is on Frederik IX.

Things change right away. And it is very much Queen Ingrid who is instrumental in changing the monarchy from a formal, aloof, old fashioned and very rigid monarchy to a "folkemonarki". Difficult to translate directly, something like: People's Monarchy. The word "folke" is used in many contexts in DK, and it often mistaken for a socialist expression like "people's republic" and such like. But the meaning is more akin to: from the people, for the people, with the people.
That was made clear in a much talked about radio broadcast from the home of the Regent Couple and Three Little Princesses (QMII loathed that expression!) where they talked about themselves and what they did and other sorts of nice trivia. Including a certain Margrethe sitting with her foot up in the couch. - So Princesses can be naughty too...
So the family became the "First Family" a family people could identify themselves with, apart from the palaces of course.
So there was quite a lot of focus on the Regent Couple and The Three Little Princesses, who were always so neat, well-dressed and well-behaved - leading F9 to mutter quietly: If people only knew...

F9 Had a close personal friendship with the then PM Hans Hedtoft. (IMO together with Thorvald Stauning the two foremost PM's we had here in DK in the 1900's.)
And already by the late 40's a change, or rather revision of the Constitution of 1915 was overdue. Many things was to be changed. The Parliament should be reduced to one chamber. The age for voting was to be lowered. Greenland, that at the time was basically a very distant reservation for the Greenlanders, was to become a fully integrated part of the realm with full citizens rights for the Greenlanders.
But it's difficult to change the Danish Constitution. A change requires that 45 % of all voters, not just votes, voters, must vote in favor of the change so something extra was needed to get people off their couches and to the voting booths. A change in the Law of Succession, enabling daughters of the heir/monarch to become monarch as well, if there was no son. I.e. Princess Margrethe. - The docu mercifully omits to dwell on the public and very lively and even more frank(!!) debate about the suitability of Prince Knud's sons as a future monarch.
F9 reluctantly agreed, he had little choice anyway since there was a full majority in the Parliament for that proposal. But it soured the relationship to his brother, that had otherwise been close, and Prince Knud issued a formal protest on behalf of his sons, before resigning from the State Council. (He was no longer the official Heir.)

It was inevitable. The people didn't want Prince Knud's children as a future monarch (that is mercifully omitted as well) and there was a dawning trend for gender equality but the crucial factor was that Queen Ingrid would medically be unable to handle another pregnancy. Period!

F9 had a close relationship with all his daughters, and certainly also with QMII. There is a beautiful scene illustrating that at 19:00 when he takes his oldest daughter to the Royal Theater. F9 often went there, sitting and conducting in the back of the royal box, under a discreet torchlight.

While all that took place: It was no secret that F9 was fond of a glass of port - or two... And by this time it was no longer compatible with him being King, not to mention his health. So Queen Ingrid, supported by doctors, intervened and put and end to his (let's be honest) alcoholism.

33:00 Princess Margrethe is called to her parents who tell her that she is going to be queen one day. She is not at all keen! - Is dad going to die?!?

The brooch QMII is wearing, is the one she was given by her father on Constitution Day 5th June 1953, when she was voted in by popular vote as the next heir. (Until 1660 all Danish kings were elected by representatives of the people. Or more commonly, they were acknowledged by the representatives of the people as the official heir, when their father took them on a tour of the realm. So in a sense QMII was democratically elected as the future monarch.)

39:00.
Not much changed in the daily life of Margrethe. She went to school, was very shy and hated being referred to as the heir. In a class the teacher started to talk about DK now being the only Christian country in the world, were women could be priests. Not only that, women could now be the monarch! What do you think about that Margrethe? - She stormed out of class crying.

At fifteen Margrethe went to boarding school in England and loved it! So much that she forgot to write home, so dad had to call her.

At eighteen the Heir comes of age, not ordinary citizens (that was 21), only the heir. And that was a huge event! Dad taught her to embrace the goodwill she was getting from the people. Well illustrated around 45.00.

New Years Eve 1971. F9 gives his last New Year speech. He is far from well! In fact he goes to bed right after and is shortly after committed to hospital.
QMII explains very poignantly that her father had the sailor's unreserved faith, even though he had uttered quite a few profanities in life (the people loved him for it!) he had full confidence and trust in his Creator and knew when to let go.

52:00 At the hospital. The King is dead. Queen Ingrid, ever the perfect royal even in this situation, makes sure her daughter now walks in front when they leave the hospital.

53:00 When the monarch dies, the colours of the Royal Lifeguard Regiment are transferred to the mansion of the new Monarch at Amalienborg. That made a great impression on QMII, as it had on her father back in 1947.

The episode ends with QMII stepping out on the balcony of the Parliament, where the PM proclaims three times: "King Frederik IX is dead. Long live Her Majesty Queen Margrethe II."

Things change right away. And it is very much Queen Ingrid who is instrumental in changing the monarchy from a formal, aloof, old fashioned and very rigid monarchy to a "folkemonarki". Difficult to translate directly, something like: People's Monarchy. The word "folke" is used in many contexts in DK, and it often mistaken for a socialist expression like "people's republic" and such like. But the meaning is more akin to: from the people, for the people, with the people.
That was made clear in a much talked about radio broadcast from the home of the Regent Couple and Three Little Princesses (QMII loathed that expression!) where they talked about themselves and what they did and other sorts of nice trivia. Including a certain Margrethe sitting with her foot up in the couch. - So Princesses can be naughty too...
So the family became the "First Family" a family people could identify themselves with, apart from the palaces of course.

Interesting, as the Danish monarchy gives me the sense of being more old-fashioned and aloof in comparison to the other monarchies of Scandinavia. I wonder if Queen Ingrid steered it towards a "folkemonarki" model out of personal inspiration or if she was affected by the political climate.

But it's difficult to change the Danish Constitution. A change requires that 45 % of all voters, not just votes, voters, must vote in favor of the change so something extra was needed to get people off their couches and to the voting booths. A change in the Law of Succession, enabling daughters of the heir/monarch to become monarch as well, if there was no son. I.e. Princess Margrethe. - The docu mercifully omits to dwell on the public and very lively and even more frank(!!) debate about the suitability of Prince Knud's sons as a future monarch.
F9 reluctantly agreed, he had little choice anyway since there was a full majority in the Parliament for that proposal. But it soured the relationship to his brother, that had otherwise been close, and Prince Knud issued a formal protest on behalf of his sons, before resigning from the State Council. (He was no longer the official Heir.)

It was inevitable. The people didn't want Prince Knud's children as a future monarch (that is mercifully omitted as well) and there was a dawning trend for gender equality but the crucial factor was that Queen Ingrid would medically be unable to handle another pregnancy. Period!

I could see how the people's ill-treatment of Knud's young children might make for uncomfortable viewing, but it is disappointing that the program glossed over a crucial element of the story.

When you say "the crucial factor was that Queen Ingrid would medically be unable to handle another pregnancy", was there anxiety that Queen Ingrid might risk another pregnancy in hopes of producing a son? That was said to be one of the factors in the Japanese government deciding on absolute primogeniture in 2005 instead of male preference: Only absolute primogeniture would remove the pressure on Crown Princess Masako to give birth to a son.

Last edited:
Interesting, as the Danish monarchy gives me the sense of being more old-fashioned and aloof in comparison to the other monarchies of Scandinavia. I wonder if Queen Ingrid steered its towards a "folkemonarki" model out of personal inspiration or if she was affected by the political climate.

Both I'd say.
It was also the shared experience of WWII that was a big factor.
I Norway the royal family went into exile.
Sweden managed to stay out of the war.
While in DK the DRF and the people shared or rather endured the Occupation together and they became day to day symbols of there still being a Denmark.
That formed a bond between the DRF and the people that was strong - but has become even stronger in recent years, - interesting enough actually.

And you are right. The Danish monarchy is more conservative than the Swedish and Norwegian. I think we like the combination of accessibility and pomp and circumstances here in DK. We are after all considered the colorful Latinos of Scandinavia.

I could see how the people's ill-treatment of Knud's young children might make for uncomfortable viewing, but it is disappointing that the program glossed over a crucial element of the story.

When you say "the crucial factor was that Queen Ingrid would medically be unable to handle another pregnancy", was there anxiety that Queen Ingrid might risk another pregnancy in hopes of producing a son? That was said to be one of the factors in the Japanese government deciding on absolute primogeniture in 2005 instead of male preference: Only absolute primogeniture would remove the pressure on Crown Princess Masako to give birth to a son.

Indeed. But I think this is out of consideration of QMII. She may not have been that willing to take part in a docu where the reason for the relationship between her beloved father and somewhat estranged uncle was fully illustrated. Also keep in mind that her cusin, Count Ingolf is still around.
The unpleasant truth is that people thought he and his older brother were too ugly (and as such too stupid as well) to become monarch.

Yes, very much so. Queen Ingrid was disappointed that she had been unable to produce an heir and they had every intention of trying to have a son. But to me it's hinted that Queen Ingrid might very well not have survived another pregnancy.
Keep in mind that QMII had a miscarriage as well.

Last edited:
What happened to Queen Ingrid that she couldn't have another child?

All her pregnancies were complicated and it took them several years before she did become pregnant, so something physical I guess.

All her pregnancies were complicated and it took them several years before she did become pregnant, so something physical I guess.

I also read once that when ther was an Issue with King christian during one of her pegnacneis she told him that she would not rest and stand up so he would not get his grandson.

Back
Top Bottom