British Royal Family: Documentaries, DVDs, Films and TV shows

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Sounds interesting. According to IMDB it will be out sometime in 2008.

I'm also looking forward to it..
and I hope my dear Thomas Kretschmann will be King Leopold!!:wub:

I'm really looking forward to seeing this! It sounds interesting, but I really hope they do a good job with it. I find it kind of neat that Princess Beatrice, a real descendant of Victoria, will be making a cameo appearance.

By the way, Emily Blunt was in the well-known movie, The Devil Wears Prada, where she played the mean assistant, and got a good bit of praise for the roll.

Ooh, a new film about Victoria! :D

I became fascinated with Victoria and Albert after watching the miniseries. Their love story is inspiring. And the way they loved...stormy and deep. What a connection.

I have to admit to a small crush on Prince Albert; what an accomplished, intelligent man who also wasn't afraid to feel.

The Young Victoria (film) - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Martin Scorsese to Produce The Young Victoria

:w00t2:

Looks really promising! The cast looks great! Jim Broadbent, Miranda Richardson and Paul Bettany. I don't know who Emily Blunt is, but hopefully she lives up to the standards of Victoria Hamilton in the 2001 miniseries. I'm kind of disappointed that Rupert Friend is playing Prince Albert; I don't care for him very much. I'd rather Jonathan Firth reprise his role :wub:

Did you see "The Devil Wears Prada"? Emily Blunt was the English girl who was the other assistant to Meryl Streep. She doesn't look much like Victoria, but she's a pretty good actress.

I find it kind of neat that Princess Beatrice, a real descendant of Victoria, will be making a cameo appearance.

According to the article morhange posted Sarah, Duchess of York is co-producing this film.

OUCH!:eek: Reviews are not looking too good for the movie, Elizabeth: The Golden Age.

US critics have savaged Cate Blanchett's new Oscar hope, Elizabeth: The Golden Age.

"Elizabeth: The Golden Age is an unholy mixture of the banal and the bombastic," New York magazine told its readers.

Source

I've never listened to the ramblings of any overpaid movie critic, myself. What the papers have to say means very little to moi...;)

Princess Anne Wedding

I am looking for video of Princess Anne's Wedding. I know it might be hard to come by, but I was hoping someone had a VCR back then.

That may be true; however, many do (as in the general population, not TRF members, royal watchers, etc) listen to "...the ramblings of any overpaid movie critic."

The trailer looks pretty good and as a fan of Cate's work I'll definitely see this film. Perhaps on Sunday I'll go

Then surely those that do, musn't be able to think for themselves...haha...j/k

TRF has nothing to do with it as far as I'm aware. I am talking as an every day world citizen.

I agree that the trailor looks really good and having met Cate at the races (was in the same marquee at The Melbourne Cup. For those who don't know what the Melbourne Cup is, it's the biggest horse racing event in the Southern Hemipshere), and being quite the 'fan' of her's myself, I'm looking forward to this anticipated sequel, whatever the "appraisal".

Last edited:
the movie is in my list of "to see" for sometime soon, perhaps this weekend. however, i didn't see the first one (big mistake of mine, lol). do you think it is important to see one, then the other, or they can be seen as separate movies? i heard amazing reviews from the first one and saw the trailer in the cinema last weekend and it looks good!

Then surely those that do, musn't be able to think for themselves...haha...j/k

TRF has nothing to do with it as far as I'm aware. I am talking as an every day world citizen.

I agree that the trailor looks really good and having met Cate at the races (was in the same marquee at The Melbourne Cup. For those who don't know what the Melbourne Cup is, it's the biggest horse racing event in the Southern Hemipshere), and being quite the 'fan' of her's myself, I'm looking forward to this anticipated sequel, whatever the "appraisal".

Gee, you met her? Fascinating.

I hope Elizabeth:The Golden Age will be historically accurate unlike other biopics that shall remain nameless.

This isn't getting very good reviews...I don't think Cate will get the Oscar nod...or win. There's virtually no positive buzz...

Gee, you met her? Fascinating.
I hope Elizabeth:The Golden Age will be historically accurate unlike other biopics that shall remain nameless.​

Not so much fascinating, though it was very nice to talk to her freely. She is charmingly grounded.​

I too hope for historical accuracy. If there's anything that kills a movie, it's the writers wanting to play around with fact and fiction.​

Last edited:
I just want to say, I cant wait for this movie to come accurate or not...she is my favorite Queen of all. :flowers:

I hope Elizabeth:The Golden Age will be historically accurate unlike other biopics that shall remain nameless.

The reviews I read complain that the movie is pretty careless with the truth so in a word, I don't think its too historically accurate.

Its interesting when the first Elizabeth film came out, the reviews were not overwhelmingly positive. Some critics said the film was just like the Godfather except it was set in Renaissance England.

But now they're all saying how great the first movie was.

I thought the first movie was good but it wasn't outstanding.

Of the movies that had Elizabeth I as a character, my favorite was Orlando.

The reviews I read complain that the movie is pretty careless with the truth so in a word, I don't think its too historically accurate.

Lovely:rolleyes:... I hope it isn't as bad as Gladiator if it is I'll walk out.

I was so close to seeing this last night and then everyone decided to see The Darjeeling Limited instead.

I saw the movie friday night. It was very good.

I saw a trailer for this today and I will definitely be going to see it, looks like another Oscar for Cate!

I'm thinking about seeing this movie tonight, if not, then I will definitely see it on Sunday.

Has anyone else seen it? I haven't heard much about since it first came out a couple of weeks ago. Since then I haven't seen any commericals advertising the movie nor have I heard anyone discuss the movie on other forums.

Did the movie fade into oblivion? Did the studio give up on the film already? What are your thoughts?

Well I Loved the movie but don't quote me because I am a great fan of Cate Blanchett and I love all her movies no matter what! :) Imo, she is one of the very few actresses today with actual acting talent and gracefullness!

About the movie itself, I thought the costumes and scenery were beautiful! The acting was always good throughout the entire movie ( I loved the part when Mary Stuart is executed. It was dramatic and very intense). I adore this kind of movies :wub:

I've just seen the first one which I loved so I'll be sure to see the sequel. The first one really did showcase the best of British.

I did not like this film at all even though I loved the first one. It was too chick flick (forgive the vulgar expression) despite the superb acting skills of both Cate and Clive. I was not surprise that it was not as good as the first, sequels seldom are.

"Monarchy'" by David Starkey: 2007 TV series on British Royal history

For those of you in the US PBS is running a documentary series called
Monarch with David Starkey. It covers European monarchy through the centuries. I caught only the tail end last night (10pm on PBS chanel 13 in NYC) of the episode on King James during the 1600s. His devotion to catholism and the strife it brought to England. It seems pretty extensive (covering some of the castle built by monarchs etc) and I'd like to see other episodes if anyone has it. I checked the PBC station on Youtube this morning but it is not uploaded there as of today.

David Starkey is a British historian who has a hardcover book called Monarchy for sale at Amazon. I wonder if this series only covers British monarchy? The description caption talked about the Dutch monarchy but the show was actually on King James so I cant be certain how encompassing the series will be. I'll
check out the next episode at report here.

Last edited:
I watched it last night, it was very informative and interesting.

For those of you in the US PBS is running a documentary series called
Monarch with David Starkey. It covers European monarchy through the centuries. I caught only the tail end last night (10pm on PBS chanel 13 in NYC) of the episode on King James during the 1600s. His devotion to catholism and the strife it brought to England. It seems pretty extensive (covering some of the castle built by monarchs etc) and I'd like to see other episodes if anyone has it. I checked the PBC station on Youtube this morning but it is not uploaded there as of today.

David Starkey is a British historian who has a hardcover book called Monarchy for sale at Amazon. I wonder if this series only covers British monarchy? The description caption talked about the Dutch monarchy but the show was actually on King James so I cant be certain how encompassing the series will be. I'll
check out the next episode at report here.

I recieved the DVD Monarchy for Chistmas.

The series only covers the British monarchy starting from the fall of the Roman Empire through Queen Victoria.

All in all the program is okay. Essentially, it's basic/standard British royal history. Nothing new or groundbreaking research from Dr. Starkey. However, it is a good program for those who may be unfamiliar with the turbulent history of the British monarchy. The one thing that I bothered me was the cheesy reenactments. I would have liked to have seen more original portraits of the various monarchs than what was shown.

On the plus side, Dr. Starkey does take the viewer to many historical sites that played a critical role in history. Furthermore, he visits various palaces in Britian as well as abroad (such as Het Loo with it's connection to William III.)

A highlight for me was his review of the Hanoverian kings (my favorite period in British history.) Dr. Starkey also goes into detail regarding Sir Robert Walpole (one of my favorite British politicans along side Chruchill, Lord Grenville, and Disraeli) noting his role/relationship with King George I and King George II as well as discussing the South Sea Bubble. Of course, Dr. Starkey discusses William Pitt the Elder (noting that he was essentially Bi-polar) as well.

Monarchy is a good series for those who are beginners when it comes to British royal history. For the rest of us who have studied it in depth for years, the series is a nice "brush up"; not brilliant, but definitely worth watching.

Finally, not all PBS stations will carry the program. For example, if you live in L.A. they might not show it whereas in NYC they will. So check your local listing so you won't get your hopes up.

:)

I recieved the DVD Monarchy for Chistmas.

The series only covers the British monarchy starting from the fall of the Roman Empire through Queen Victoria.

The series has been brought up to date with coverage of post-Victoria to the present and speculation about the future. It was broadcast in the UK this month. I don't know if this additional information is available on video yet.

Back
Top Bottom