The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Join The Royal Forums Today

Old 04-24-2016, 04:53 AM
Heir Presumptive

^^^^^^ I'm sorry, I misunderstood your previous post

Old 04-24-2016, 01:32 PM
Heir Presumptive

Today's longer version didn't include any new interviewed people, but some extra anecdotes from P.Alexandra (very funny that she switched namecards at a christmas dinner :) ) and extra footage incl some of their wedding (with Q.Mary glimpsed).
The Olympic stunt in 2012 remains one of my favs and they way Q.Margrethe talked about it was the same way i remember it seen then )

Old 04-24-2016, 01:36 PM
Gentry

Just watched the extended version of the programme on BBC1. Enjoyed the extra bits especially as it meant more of Princess Alexandra, Margaret Rhodes (and the wonderful Bowes-Lyon family) and QMII. Would have preferred more of them than Harry and William to be honest. And as other people have said, I just loved Lady Sarah Chatto.
Old 04-24-2016, 02:44 PM
Nobility

One of the parts I found interesting was the discussion with Margaret Rhodes of the Bowes Lyon family. She said that George VI loved to spend time with his wife's family because they were so different to what he was used to.

It reminded me a lot of William and Kate. In the Middletons, he can see a devoted couple who have clearly had a very successful marriage and whose children had very happy settled upbringings. He clearly enjoys his wife's family very much and, for reasons I can't quite fathom, gets lots of criticism for doing so. Seems he's only really following in his great-grandfather's footsteps.
Old 04-24-2016, 04:10 PM
Heir Apparent

I picked up on that too...it's been commented on more than once how William enjoyed (still enjoys) being with Kate's family.

It was very neat to learn that hi great grandfather had a similar situation.

LaRae
Old 04-24-2016, 07:23 PM
Gentry

I love the Benjamin Britten version of the National Anthem that they used at the end. I've sung it a few times in various choirs that I've been in. It's very effective as it starts off very quiet and gradually builds up to a really loud ending. Very moving and effective to sing (and hear).
Old 04-25-2016, 09:03 PM
Royal Highness

Any links to the full version?

Thanks
Old 04-27-2016, 12:49 AM
Aristocracy

This is, hands down, the best documentary produced about Her Majesty. We got to see footage of the Top Lady, The Boss herself. And she is so sharp and on the ball.

Absolutely loved hearing from Princess Alexandra and Lady Sarah Chatto. It was so affectionate and moving. I was truly impressed.

And Princess Anne is subtly hilarious. The driest, sharpest wit. So much her father's daughter.

It was funny how many comments were made about Princess Margaret - all to everyone's amusement. It certainly seemed she was a distinct force of nature in the Royal Family and was adored, in spite of her sometimes spiky nature. And you can really see how Prince Charles would have adored The Queen Mother - in all the archive footage she just glides and seems so magical.

The heartbreaking moment for me was when Prince Harry caught a glimpse of his mother at his christening and said "Mummy looking great in blue, I'm still not convinced about the dress I'm in..." There is a boy who clearly adored his mother and remembers the best of her - he's much more open with his emotions than William. As Diana said herself, "Harry's the one to watch."

The only other kind of documentary I'd like to see is one featuring the most colourful member of the Royal Family: Princess Michael of Kent. And I'd certainly like to hear from the quietest members: The Duchess of Kent, Lady Helen Taylor, The Duke and Duchess of Gloucester, even if they just gave interviews on their own accord. For posterity's sake, it would be lovely to hear from them.
Old 04-27-2016, 09:28 AM
Heir Apparent

I think it was interesting hearing 'the boy's' react to all the bling from the early days of the Queen....how everyone dressed.

Very charming to hear them comment about Diana as well...and comment about George, comparing how he acts to how Charles and William both did as children.

Was also great to see Prince Phillip so relaxed and engaged in the family on the film.

LaRae
Old 04-27-2016, 10:47 AM
Imperial Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pranter View Post
I think it was interesting hearing 'the boy's' react to all the bling from the early days of the Queen....how everyone dressed.

Very charming to hear them comment about Diana as well...and comment about George, comparing how he acts to how Charles and William both did as children.

Was also great to see Prince Phillip so relaxed and engaged in the family on the film.

LaRae
It's going to be interesting to see some of that bling again for the next coronation.

It was touching to see the royal film archive also include Diana.

The royals enjoyed themselves in those early days. I'm sure it's the same for the young royals today.

A.W. TOZER
Old 04-27-2016, 07:38 PM
Heir Presumptive

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dman View Post
It's going to be interesting to see some of that bling again for the next coronation.

It was touching to see the royal film archive also include Diana.

The royals enjoyed themselves in those early days. I'm sure it's the same for the young royals today.

And Lord Snowdon as well.

I still need to show this to Mom. Maybe tonight...Hopefully...

Sent from my iPad using The Royals Community mobile app
Old 04-27-2016, 08:56 PM
Royal Highness

William and Harry came across as materialistic.

Coveting Prince Charles' toys.
The comments about the jewelry.

Their banter about the christening sounded fake, rehearsed and scripted.

Their comments about Charles and his clothes were hardly endearing.
JMO, the only time they were genuine was when they spotted the puppies.
Old 04-27-2016, 09:23 PM
Courtier

Quote:
Originally Posted by Queen Camilla View Post

I thought it was very touching when Harry commented about how blue looked good on his mother.
Old 04-27-2016, 10:15 PM
Heir Presumptive

Quote:
Originally Posted by Queen Camilla View Post

I guess people see what they want to see. So sad when everyone else loved it

Sent from my iPhone using The Royals Community
Old 04-27-2016, 10:47 PM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by royal rob View Post
I guess people see what they want to see. So sad when everyone else loved it

Sent from my iPhone using The Royals Community

Some people choose to always assume the worst about others.

LaRae
Old 04-27-2016, 11:15 PM
Nobility

I've been watching it online (so far has not made it to New Zealand TV) and i thought it was great. Lady Sarah and Princess Anne came over so well; what a deep voice Princess Alexandra has; good to see her and the Duke of Kent.
Old 05-04-2016, 05:24 PM
Serene Highness

Can´t wait to have it on DVD!
Old 05-20-2016, 02:10 PM
Heir Presumptive
Royal Blogger

Finally got catching up on the BBC programme (extended version) - lovely to hear from Lady Sarah, Duke of Kent and Princess Alexandra.
Particularly enjoyed hearing the Queen and Charles talk through times at Glamis and with the Bowes-lyons family - that was touching and revealing i thought.
This has been one of the best produced documentaries of recent times - having the family narrate as they watch the films was a lovely idea.
Princess Anne is great in it - sharp witted and honest and a good deal of fun.

Old 05-21-2016, 06:34 AM
Serene Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by wartenberg7 View Post
Can´t wait to have it on DVD!
Available from June, 6th!
https://images-na.ssl-images-amazon....ZL._SY500_.jpg
Old 05-21-2016, 06:45 AM
Heir Presumptive

I already have it on DVD, because my British half brother did record it for me while I was in Norway. But I think I will buy it anyway, because of the the cover.