The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Join The Royal Forums Today

Old 04-23-2016, 05:12 AM
Heir Apparent

Of course she has been ill and perhaps her voice was a bit hoarse, making it sound odd.

Old 04-23-2016, 08:03 AM
Gentry

I finally got to see it on youtube and enjoyed the program very much.
I hope the archivists are doing something about preserving these films as they won't last long as actual film. From an historical perspective, I hope they can be made to last hundreds of years.

Old 04-23-2016, 08:21 AM
Royal Highness

Excellent documentary, as good, if not better, than ITV's "Our Queen at 90". Interesting to note that , this time, Charles was center stage....
Old 04-23-2016, 08:50 AM
Heir Apparent

I'm enjoying the documentary now on youtube. It really seems very lovely!
Old 04-23-2016, 11:37 AM
Royal Highness

Elizabeth at 90: a Family Tribute review: a brilliantly sampled insight into the private life of the Royal family
Quote:
Let’s be honest, some royal documentaries are better than others, and over the last few decades there have been occasions when watching could feel more of a duty than a pleasure. Happily Elizabeth at 90: a Family Tribute (BBC One) was a triumph from start to finish. I cannot recall ever seeing a more charming, warm and – dare I say – human portrait of the Queen than this one lovingly pieced together from the Royal family’s own private archive of film taken over the last 90 years.
Old 04-23-2016, 11:55 AM
Nobility

I adored this programme. I found myself as it ended, unable to help feeling slightly sad though, as the Age of Elizabeth is naturally not going to last very much longer.

Much as I love Harry, I must say that had William used the phrase "I was bricking myself" in a documentary, he would have been absolutely slaughtered. William got criticised by some here in the ITV documentary for his seemingly terribly offensive use of cliches. Yet, nary a peep at Harry using this horrible phrase more than once. Just not necessary.

In case anyone doesn't know, this is a British term which comes from the saying when you're nervous, "I almost s**t a brick". It's now evolved into "bricking it/myself".
Old 04-23-2016, 12:14 PM
Imperial Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by PetticoatLane View Post
I adored this programme. I found myself as it ended, unable to help feeling slightly sad though, as the Age of Elizabeth is naturally not going to last very much longer.

Much as I love Harry, I must say that had William used the phrase "I was bricking myself" in a documentary, he would have been absolutely slaughtered. William got criticised by some here in the ITV documentary for his seemingly terribly offensive use of cliches. Yet, nary a peep at Harry using this horrible phrase more than once. Just not necessary.

In case anyone doesn't know, this is a British term which comes from the saying when you're nervous, "I almost s**t a brick". It's now evolved into "bricking it/myself".
Very true. We are in the last years of Her Majesty's life. It's a sad thought, but it's why it's so important for us (who care) to show our appreciation for her many years of dedication and service. I'm an American, but she's my Queen too, IMO.

GENTLEMAN'S ESSENTIALS
Old 04-23-2016, 12:35 PM
Majesty

Location: On the west side of North up from Back, United States
I finally got a chance to sit down and watch this family tribute and although I missed out on all of the comments made (no closed captioning available), it wasn't hard to feel the nostalgia, the laughter and the tenderness that crossed their faces while viewing the old family movies.

On a whole, it was very well put together and with it being such a portrait of a family living, loving and laughing together and reminiscing about times that had gone before such as coronations, funerals and christenings, I think it gave all of us that viewed it a closer bond with a woman we've loved, admired and respected for as long as most of us can remember.

Documentaries such as this one are treasures that gives us so much more of the human touch that will no doubt enhance what, in the future, will be written in history books.
“When I was 5 years old, my mother always told me that happiness was the key to life. When I went to school, they asked me what I wanted to be when I grew up. I wrote down ‘happy’. They told me I didn’t understand the assignment, and I told them they didn’t understand life.”
― John Lennon
Old 04-23-2016, 12:55 PM
Heir Presumptive

For those people who remember seeing the now unavailable Royal Family documentary film from the 70s, am I right in thinking that the footage of decorating the Christmas tree (at Windsor?) was taken at the same time or it is an extract from this programme? I can vaguely remember the footage which also shows Anne castigating her younger brothers for fooling around while the tree is being decorated.
Old 04-23-2016, 06:25 PM
Royal Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roslyn View Post
True, but it's about HM's 90 years, and she has four children. I would have liked to hear from the younger two as there was footage of them. I'm sure there's more in the vault that HM could have dredged up, too. Obviously a decision had to be made to limit the length of the program, but I think it's a bit sad that we didn't see all her children commenting. I would have liked another half hour of the show.
Maybe Edward and Andrew were included and will appear on the extended version of the documentary that is to be broadcast tomorrow.
Old 04-23-2016, 06:56 PM
Imperial Majesty

Didn't Edward and Sophie do the Sky TV programme? That would explain why they weren't in this one.

It seems that Andrew is the only one who hasn't contributed anything at all as didn't his daughters contribute to the ITV one.

Deliberate or accident - who knows.
Old 04-23-2016, 07:11 PM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iluvbertie View Post
Didn't Edward and Sophie do the Sky TV programme? That would explain why they weren't in this one.

It seems that Andrew is the only one who hasn't contributed anything at all as didn't his daughters contribute to the ITV one.

Deliberate or accident - who knows.
I don't understand why it was only William, Edward and Sophie for the Sky documentary. Very odd but I did like the Wessex joint interview.

Andrew was in the ITV documentary was he not?
Old 04-23-2016, 07:34 PM
Heir Apparent

Elizabeth at 90 - A family Tribute

Andrew was in the ITV one, Edward and Anne weren't. Between all three you had all 4 kids, both daughters in law, a granddaughter in law and 5 of 6 adult grandkids, niece, 3 first cousins.

Sent from my iPhone using The Royals Community
Old 04-23-2016, 07:47 PM
Imperial Majesty

I don't know. I haven't been able to see the ITV one. Doubt that I ever will. There has been virtually no coverage of the birthday in Australia at all. Maybe one or two of these documentaries will end up on TV here but until then I can't see them.
Old 04-23-2016, 08:26 PM
Heir Apparent

ITV one was on YouTube after it aired but it's gone. The BBC one is on their now but probably won't stay for long. There is always software to change your location to watch on ITV or BBC players.

Old 04-23-2016, 08:39 PM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by Queen Camilla View Post
Maybe Edward and Andrew were included and will appear on the extended version of the documentary that is to be broadcast tomorrow.
I hope you're right. I didn't know there was to be an extended version broadcast.
Old 04-23-2016, 10:40 PM
Heir Presumptive

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skippyboo View Post
ITV one was on YouTube after it aired but it's gone. The BBC one is on their now but probably won't stay for long. There is always software to change your location to watch on ITV or BBC players.

You know I will never understand this. They know people outside the UK want to see these, so why they don't put them up on their own channels over at YouTube for all to see is beyond me!! You'd think by now they'd catch on, but nope!!

This was wonderful!! Loved every bit of it and so lovely to see all those wonderful moments. Margaret Rhodes though got the tears going when she said she hoped the Queen knows how proud of her the King would be and is of her.

It was so sad to hear the Duke of Kent talk about the Funeral of George VI. It would have been awkward and add on tension to an already tense time when you realize just how the Family had changed since the Abdication. There would 5 Nephews and Nieces and a Great Nephew and Great Niece the Duke of Windsor had never met. I know he made his bed, literally, but the Duke of Windsor did miss out on a lot w/his choice.

Not that he regretted it, but that's for a different thread....

This truly was delightful and hope I can show it to my Parents before it's gone.

Sent from my iPad using The Royals Community mobile app
Old 04-23-2016, 11:35 PM
Imperial Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tiggersk8 View Post
Y
It was so sad to hear the Duke of Kent talk about the Funeral of George VI. It would have been awkward and add on tension to an already tense time when you realize just how the Family had changed since the Abdication. There would 5 Nephews and Nieces and a Great Nephew and Great Niece the Duke of Windsor had never met. I know he made his bed, literally, but the Duke of Windsor did miss out on a lot w/his choice.
I was trying to figure out who the nephews and nieces were and can only come up with 4:

Alexandra
Michael
William
Richard

His other 5 nieces and nephews - Princess Mary's 2 children, Elizabeth, Margaret and Edward were all born before George V died and Edward VIII was godfather to three of them - Gerald Lascelles, Princess Margaret and Prince Edward (the present Duke of Kent).

The greats - would be Charles and Anne but that may not be the full list as David Lascelles - grandson of Princess Mary was also born in 1950
Old 04-24-2016, 05:07 AM
Heir Presumptive

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iluvbertie View Post
I was trying to figure out who the nephews and nieces were and can only come up with 4:

Alexandra
Michael
William
Richard

The other nieces and nephews - Princess Mary's children, Elizabeth, Margaret and Edward were all born before George V died and Edward VIII was godfather to three of them - Gerald Lascelles, Princess Margaret and Prince Edward (the present Duke of Kent).
There was also the cousin from her mother's side, Margaret Rhodes (i hope I spelled her name correctly)
Old 04-24-2016, 05:27 AM
Imperial Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lee-Z View Post
There was also the cousin from her mother's side, Margaret Rhodes (i hope I spelled her name correctly)
Margaret Rhodes was born in 1925 and so Edward VIII would have had the chance to meet her had he been so inclined. She will be 91 on the 9th June this year (the day before they go to church for the Queen's 90th birthday)

I was listing those nephews and nieces and great-nephews and nieces of Edward's born after his abdication but before the death of his brother - so those born from early December 1936 until February 1952.

Margaret Rhodes first child wasn't born until after the funeral in late February 1952. That child, however, wouldn't have been a great-niece of Edward VIII's as she is related to The Queen via the Queen Mum not via George VI.