"Edward the King" (1975) - ATV Docudrama Miniseries on Edward VII of the UK

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

BeatrixFan

Majesty , Royal Blogger, TRF Author
City
London
Country
United Kingdom
Having just watched this 1970s BBC series for the 100th time, I wondered what everyone else thought about it and also just to mention it for those who haven't! I think of any royal series I've watched, Edward VII is the most 'spot on' for me. Timothy West is absolutely amazing as Edward and as for Annette Crosbie as Queen Victoria - she plays her exactly as I imagined her to be. It's a real cradle to grave series. The star for me was Helen Ryan as Queen Alexandra. She was just stunning and really brought the lady to life for me. Though in some places the accents leave a little to be desired (not sure Alexandra Feodorovna had a South African accent!), the way they weave the stories together is educational, amusing and very moving in parts. Full marks to the actress playing Toria who got just the right level of exasperation in!

Sam! I've missed you! I too love all the old footage. :)

I too have watched it many many many times. I absolutely loved it and agree about the way it was done.

Though in some places the accents leave a little to be desired (not sure Alexandra Feodorovna had a South African accent!),

I think the "Feodorovna" lady was Alexandra's sister Dagmar of Denmark? The Empress of Russia?

I think the "Feodorovna" lady was Alexandra's sister Dagmar of Denmark? The Empress of Russia?

That was Jane Lapotaire as the Dowager Empress, for me she was fabulous, I meant the actress playing the last Tsarina. She didn't have much to say but when she did she spoke in a very strange accent indeed! What I found amazing is that a series on that large scale got everything so perfect. Felicity Kendal gave something to the character of Empress Frederick to actually make me want to learn more about her. Sterling series.

Attachments

• Edward VII.jpg
    Edward VII.jpg
    21.6 KB · Views: 1,178
  • Edward the King.jpg
    Edward the King.jpg
    15.9 KB · Views: 1,085
Back
Top Bottom