The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Join The Royal Forums Today

Old 10-23-2014, 05:10 PM
Imperial Majesty

Diana Vs. The Queen: PBS Program

Diana Vs. The Queen: October 23rd 2014-8pm-

DIANA VS THE QUEEN charts the troubled relationship between Elizabeth, Queen of England and Diana, Queen of Hearts; one remote and pragmatic, the other emotional and insecure. This revealing documentary charts the two women's relationship from its very beginnings, through the royal wedding to Diana's emergence as a global superstar. The story ends in the final showdown over Diana's funeral. TVPG

PBS: Public Broadcasting Service

GENTLEMAN'S ESSENTIALS
Old 10-23-2014, 10:05 PM
Heir Apparent

Was not on my PBS station.

Old 10-23-2014, 10:36 PM
Heir Apparent

Not here either.
Old 10-23-2014, 10:51 PM
Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dman View Post
Diana Vs. The Queen: October 23rd 2014-8pm-

DIANA VS THE QUEEN charts the troubled relationship between Elizabeth, Queen of England and Diana, Queen of Hearts; one remote and pragmatic, the other emotional and insecure. This revealing documentary charts the two women's relationship from its very beginnings, through the royal wedding to Diana's emergence as a global superstar. The story ends in the final showdown over Diana's funeral. TVPG

PBS: Public Broadcasting Service
Queen Elizabeth remote and pragmatic? I'd go for pragmatic, a woman in her position couldn't be anything else. But remote?

Certainly not to Diana who had grown up taking tea with members of the royal family, the Queen Mother and the Queen.

But hey, the title says it all;

DIANA VS THE QUEEN.

The Queen of England vs Queen of Hearts.

And last but by no means least and my personal favourite;

Ends in the final showdown over Diana's funeral? Via Ouija board I guess.

Who writes this drivel?
Old 10-23-2014, 11:12 PM
Majesty

DRIVEL is the right word MARG. I didn't bother to check my PBS listing because I've no intention or desire to watch this silliness.
Old 10-24-2014, 12:49 PM
Imperial Majesty

GENTLEMAN'S ESSENTIALS
Old 10-24-2014, 12:51 PM
Imperial Majesty

I just saw the listing and thought it would be interesting to post it. Could be the same old crazy stuff that we've seen and heard before.

GENTLEMAN'S ESSENTIALS
Old 10-24-2014, 02:13 PM
Royal Highness

It aired last night at 8pm in Chicago. It will probably be rebroadcast this afternoon or this weekend.

I decided not to watch.

It says a lot about the quality of the production, if the program decided the very beginning of the Queen's and Diana relationship started from the moment of Diana’s wedding rather than from when the two women actually met.

Did the Queen ignore Diana all the years she visited Sandringham while living at Park House?
Did the Queen ignore Diana throughout her relationship with Charles prior to their marriage?
Did the Queen ignore Diana throughout her engagement with Charles even though Diana was living under the same roof?

If the Queen ignored Diana for decades prior to her marrying into the royal family, shouldn’t this be the real story?
Old 10-24-2014, 02:32 PM
Royal Highness

This apparently first aired in March and it features some of Diana’s supporters giving their version of events. It has Christopher Wilson from the Daily Mail, Patrick Jephson etc.
Old 10-24-2014, 02:40 PM
Royal Highness

Her Majesty isn't The Queen of England, she's The Queen of the United Kingdom, and 15 others countries, and head of the Commonwealth.

Long Live Queen Elizabeth II, The Queen of people's heart.

Old 10-24-2014, 02:49 PM
Imperial Majesty

Just watched it online and, yeah, it was pretty much a bunch of crapola. Yes, there were some hard times but the people in the program made things sound very dramatic. A great deal of the drama was drummed up by the press and other tabloids.

GENTLEMAN'S ESSENTIALS
Old 10-24-2014, 03:46 PM
Royal Highness

A lot has happened and much has been invented. But I think that the Queen liked Diana and I think Diana also liked the Queen.
It is normal that the Queen didn't like some things that Diana did.
Old 10-24-2014, 03:54 PM
Royal Highness

I'm not a Diana fan, but I know that the Queen was very fond of her and tried to help her several times. Forgiveness is one of Her Majesty's many qualities.

https://www.google.no/url?sa=t&rct=j...cq9AFAvILoFC8Q

Quote:
Frances Shand Kydd in her diary denied that The Queen and Diana did not get on, claiming they had a "lot of mutual respect and admiration".
Old 10-24-2014, 03:58 PM
Imperial Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by ROYAL NORWAY View Post
I'm not a Diana fan, but I know that the Queen was very fond of her and tried to help her several times.

https://www.google.no/url?sa=t&rct=j...cq9AFAvILoFC8Q
Yes, the two woman were very fond of each other. There's no doubt in my mind, The Queen and all other members of the royal family were sad and shocked by Diana's horrible death. No matter what, she was family, and it was a very painful time for them all.

GENTLEMAN'S ESSENTIALS
Old 10-24-2014, 05:30 PM
Royal Highness

The Queen hasn't the common touch such as The Queen Mother, Diana and Kate. Her Majesty is shy and careful in public, but she isn't remote. She's a very likeable person, with many good qualities.

Long Live The Queen, the greatest asset the Monarchy and the Commonwealth will ever have.
Old 05-22-2015, 06:24 PM
Heir Presumptive

So I've been looking for noise to listen to through work and I came across this title. Can anyone provide more info on it? Is it worth watching? I hate docs that give a skewed view of events whether it is St Diana vs Adolf Charles or Wonderful Benevolent Queen vs Psycho Manipulative Diana.
From what I have read E2 took Diana's side and defended her up to the Panorama interview.
Jaqueline Bouvier Kennedy, September 12, 1953
Countess Stephanie of Belgium October 20, 2012
Old 05-22-2015, 06:35 PM
Imperial Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by XeniaCasaraghi View Post
So I've been looking for noise to listen to through work and I came across this title. Can anyone provide more info on it? Is it worth watching? I hate docs that give a skewed view of events whether it is St Diana vs Adolf Charles or Wonderful Benevolent Queen vs Psycho Manipulative Diana.
From what I have read E2 took Diana's side and defended her up to the Panorama interview.
I thought the documentary would be interesting, but it pretty much included the same old stale stuff that we've heard over and over again for years. Nothing new or shocking.

From what I gather in listening to those who were/are close to Diana and The Queen, they loved and respected each other very much. Of course, there were some very painful and difficult times in their relationship, but their relationship remained good until the end.

GENTLEMAN'S ESSENTIALS
Old 05-31-2015, 04:07 AM
Heir Presumptive

I watched 2 mins of it then turned it off.
Jaqueline Bouvier Kennedy, September 12, 1953
Countess Stephanie of Belgium October 20, 2012
Old 05-31-2015, 05:04 AM
Heir Presumptive

Oh dear, it's awful to watch. Just awful. Camilla-Camilla-Camilla. All woven through. It's Diana's spin and her 'friends' spinning it all yet again for another go-round. It's using 'facts' that we know were never 'facts' to begin with. Where to begin? I'm at a loss.

BTW I am again confronted with the images of the young Diana and stymied as to why she so captivated everyone. I will never understand it. There is nothing compelling regarding who I see in the video footage. I'm sure one had to have been there, and in a way I was, of course, but she never seemed interesting to me when I saw her in pictures when I was a little girl. Even now what I see is someone very puzzling and self-absorbed. I know a great deal more about her now, of course, so I understand why she was uncomfortable to watch. But that's hindsight.

Anyway, if one wants a rundown on the Diana Mythos, this is the 50 minutes you need to carve out of your life to watch. It's all there.
Old 05-31-2015, 07:41 AM
Majesty

I was fortunate enough to meet Charles and Diana when they toured NZ. One thing that really struck me was how amazing Diana was. Having seen the TV, watched the Wedding, loathed her dress, seen copious quantities of magazines with her face on the cover, if I thought much about her it was just that I thought her a pretty sort of English rose. But the reality was quite breathtaking.

Charles was walking behind her looking at her in sheer adoration and, to be honest, the men present seemed utterly riveted by her, the women not so much. She was one of those women that walk into a room and everyone stops talking. She was sheer charisma, and in those early days I doubt even she was even aware of it.

To this day, I have never seen a photo of her that came anywhere near doing her justice. That is not to say they weren't perfect images of her, they were, but they were one dimensional. Without her presence and energy, she would have been just another pretty face.

The media snapped what they saw and sold her as a fairytale princess. A cynical world ate it up. Magic!