The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Join The Royal Forums Today

Old 06-01-2015, 05:25 AM
Royal Highness

The first part was from Queen Camilla I don't know why it looks like I posted it

Sent from my iPhone using The Royals Community

Old 06-01-2015, 06:05 AM
Majesty

Location: On the west side of North up from Back, United States
I had a big problem with Campbell's book. To me, it reeked of non truths and was full of "sources close to the palace (couple, Diana etc) and "a highly placed source". It sounded more like a repetition of gossip rather than having credible information.

But that's just me.....

“When I was 5 years old, my mother always told me that happiness was the key to life. When I went to school, they asked me what I wanted to be when I grew up. I wrote down ‘happy’. They told me I didn’t understand the assignment, and I told them they didn’t understand life.”
― John Lennon
Old 06-02-2015, 12:38 AM
Heir Presumptive

Quote:
Originally Posted by royal rob View Post
The first part was from Queen Camilla I don't know why it looks like I posted it.
You lost some of the code, royal rob.

Look at the end of the quote. You see this: [/ What that is missing is this: quote] If you just place what I indicated second: quote] continuing from the [/ with no space, you will find that the whole of it will pop back into a 'quotation' mode.

Hope that helps.

Quote:
Originally Posted by royal rob View Post
You always go just too far really uncalled for.
And I wouldn't read anything by Colin cambell there is so much to do in this world that is fun and helpful to spend your days reading book after book about Diana.
But I don't mind. I've gone ahead and ordered some of the books recommended and will have some fun reading them on vacation with my family this summer.
Old 06-02-2015, 12:50 AM
Majesty

Re hair colour: she was light-brownish with a reddish tinge. You can see pics of her as a child through adolescence with natural hair colour changes. She had visibly dark roots at times, too.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lady Nimue View Post
\
Was she? After all this time, I never considered that.
Old 06-02-2015, 12:58 AM
Majesty

I've seen interviews with Lady Colin Campbell and have not been impressed. I've a couple of her books, and they seem to be full of venom and spite. Of all the people who've claimed to be biographers (omitting people such as Diana's psychic and so on), she's the least professional IMO. I'd put her on the same level as Kitty Kelley.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Osipi View Post
I had a big problem with Campbell's book. To me, it reeked of non truths and was full of "sources close to the palace (couple, Diana etc) and "a highly placed source". It sounded more like a repetition of gossip rather than having credible information.

But that's just me.....
Old 06-06-2015, 02:51 PM
Heir Presumptive

Oh don't throw tomatoes at me, but I love Kitty Kelly's book.
Jaqueline Bouvier Kennedy, September 12, 1953
Countess Stephanie of Belgium October 20, 2012
Old 06-06-2015, 03:15 PM
Majesty

Location: On the west side of North up from Back, United States
Quote:
Originally Posted by XeniaCasaraghi View Post
Oh don't throw tomatoes at me, but I love Kitty Kelly's book.
Sorry, I'm out of tomatoes right now so no veggie tossing. Oh wait, a tomato is a fruit. Ok... no fruit tossing.

Seriously though, some of the books published that scream out gossip, fictionalized facts and just plain out of left field can be so very entertaining. I like to read them too but would never hold them to be the truth, the whole truth and nothing but the truth.
“When I was 5 years old, my mother always told me that happiness was the key to life. When I went to school, they asked me what I wanted to be when I grew up. I wrote down ‘happy’. They told me I didn’t understand the assignment, and I told them they didn’t understand life.”
― John Lennon
Old 06-06-2015, 03:38 PM
Royal Highness

Colin Campbell's 1991 does list some of her sources. Some are only listed in the preface.

I did not find it very gossipy and I liked it because it was current to the time.

I have not yet read her updated version where she lists even more of her sources but I'm hoping to get a copy soon.
Old 06-06-2015, 03:43 PM
Imperial Majesty

People have to remember that there's so many crazy things that's been written about Diana over the years. People have taken the time to paint her in so many different lights it's not even funny.

GENTLEMAN'S ESSENTIALS
Old 06-06-2015, 03:52 PM
Heir Presumptive

Quote:
Originally Posted by Queen Camilla View Post
Colin Campbell's 1991 does list some of her sources. Some are only listed in the preface.

I did not find it very gossipy and I liked it because it was current to the time.

I have not yet read her updated version where she lists even more of her sources but I'm hoping to get a copy soon.
Oh, I hadn't thought of the book being updated. I am guessing, then, that the one I ordered must be the updated one.

That's good. Expecting it to arrive next week.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dman View Post
People have to remember that there's so many crazy things that's been written about Diana over the years. People have taken the time to paint her in so many different lights it's not even funny.
It flashes that the same could be said of Charles. Pretty harrowing what he has had to deal with over the years imo, and continues to have to put up with. But through it all, the truth will out. Or it's semblance.
Old 06-06-2015, 03:58 PM
Royal Highness

It is not about how she was portrayed.

We were discussing her ability to use the press to her advantage.

I mentioned she was already skilled in using the press even before her marriage and mentioned Colin Campbell 1991 book which does into detail about Diana's early relationship with the press.
Old 06-06-2015, 04:00 PM
Heir Presumptive

Quote:

I mentioned she was already skilled in using the press even before her marriage and mentioned Colin Campbell 1991 book which does into detail about Diana's early relationship with the press.
Ah, yes, thank you, Queen Camilla. Exactly so.
Old 06-06-2015, 04:01 PM
Imperial Majesty

Quote:
Oh, I hadn't thought of the book being updated. I am guessing, then, that the one I ordered must be the updated one.

That's good. Expecting it to arrive next week.

It flashes that the same could be said of Charles. Pretty harrowing what he has had to deal with over the years imo, and continues to have to put up with. But through it all, the truth will out. Or it's semblance.
True, so many things have been written about these people, and people have ran with a great deal of it and made of it what they wanted. The truths are buried and the years of rumors and speculations are presented as the truth. I guess that was going to happen after tons of books, several movies, documentaries and articles have been made and published over the years. It's said, because not everything about the Waleses were bad and tragic.

GENTLEMAN'S ESSENTIALS
Old 06-06-2015, 05:03 PM
Royal Highness

Quote:
Diana had a pretty good relationship with her mother-in-law, father-in-law and even her grandmother-in-law.
You're right. The Queen was very fond of Diana and they had a very good relationship. She had a pretty good relationship with Philip too, but not when she died.

Her relationship with the Queen Mother was very frosty. They did not like each other, but they were quite similar in two different ways.

Quote:

You're right. Diana had the ability to use the press to her advantage. She also used charities to boost her popularity.
Old 06-06-2015, 05:05 PM
Heir Presumptive

Quote:
Originally Posted by ROYAL NORWAY View Post
Her relationship with the Queen Mother was very frosty. They did not like each other, but they were quite similar in two different ways.
Could you say how?
Old 06-06-2015, 05:21 PM
Imperial Majesty

Quote:
You're right. The Queen was very fond of Diana and they had a very good relationship. She had a pretty good relationship with Philip too, but not when she died.

You're right. Diana had the ability to use the press to her advantage. She also used charities to boost her popularity.
Yes, Diana had a pretty good relationship with her father and mother-in-law. Before her passing, the divorce was fresh, I'm sure things would have smoothed out over time.

Diana did not use her charities for her own selfish needs. Diana popularity was high since her engagement in 1981. She used the spotlight and her public platform to boost her charities. The royals work with their charities are very important to them and the country, but none of it hurts their PR

GENTLEMAN'S ESSENTIALS
Old 06-06-2015, 05:38 PM
Royal Highness

Quote:
Could you say how?
They both had the ability to form an emotional connection with people, and getting people to like them. They were both manipulative and did not stop until they got what they wanted.

I am no Queen Mother / Diana or Margaret fan.
Old 06-06-2015, 06:27 PM
Heir Presumptive

Quote:
Diana did not use her charities for her own selfish needs. Diana popularity was high since her engagement in 1981. She used the spotlight and her public platform to boost her charities. The royals work with their charities are very important to them and the country, but none of it hurts their PR
This is such a difficult one because I can see that you are a strong believer in Diana being a certain way. Fact is, Diana was an expense for some charities given her demands regarding how she was arranged for 'off set'. She could also be a burden given the preparations and intrusion a visit by her entailed, but I'm not sure this is the thread to discuss all that.

Saying that, I concede that no matter her real motivations (or character) she did good work, and she likely had a worthwhile impact on people who went no further than the charismatic moment. (I know too many 'charismatic' people, having had a father who was such - and is still such). Massive impact (charm) in the moment is a significant skill-set (it can be learned, and any good actor has it as a given).

Quote:
They both had the ability to form an emotional connection with people, and getting people to like them. They were both manipulative and did not stop until they got what they wanted.

I am no Queen Mother / Diana or Margaret fan.
Thank you for saying. I see that. Yes, very similar in those ways, and it's interesting that Diana and the Queen Mother had a difficult relationship. I think Princess Margaret, too, had a pretty jaded eye when it came to Diana. They all three likely saw through each other. Must have been interesting times at Sandringham and Balmoral with all three ladies in the drawing room together.

No wonder Diana was not keen on the family gatherings. One can imagine. There's a novel in that!

BTW I currently am dealing with a very beautiful, and talented, young niece, who could charm her way out of a rubic's cube. Our greatest challenge with such a charismatic child is teaching her ethics and morals vis-a-via other people. She just has to smile and the world melts to do her whim. She has too soon learned her power. You can imagine the problems as she is entering adolescence. She inhabits the 'aristocracy of charisma' and it is a deadly, albeit seductive, landscape to travel, for the world bows before one with hardly any effort on one's part. It sounds like Diana may have had a smidgeon of that, just a bit. I heard she had her father wrapped around her finger, as girls often do. That would do it for starters, though it's a bit more than that.
Old 06-06-2015, 10:06 PM
Heir Presumptive

The Queen Mother, Margaret and Diana were manipulators. The Queen Mother had a kind and good side. Diana cared for people. Her physically touching an AIDS patient was groundbreaking. Royals don't touch, least of all the very ill. Margaret's life had been ruined by family politics. All 3 liked to be the center of attention. Each had their own failings.
Old 06-07-2015, 07:19 AM
Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by Osipi View Post

But that's just me.....
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mermaid1962 View Post
I've seen interviews with Lady Colin Campbell and have not been impressed. I've a couple of her books, and they seem to be full of venom and spite. Of all the people who've claimed to be biographers (omitting people such as Diana's psychic and so on), she's the least professional IMO. I'd put her on the same level as Kitty Kelley.
Quote:
I think you might have insulted Kitty Kelly by likening her to Colin Campbell . . . maybe not, they both knew how to spin a good yarn a la Dallas or Dynasty.

Dman, you forget, it may not have been the age of the internet, but video and photos were everywhere. There is no time needed to make up stories if you had been following the whole ghastly episode play out in the reputable papers and on the six o'clock news and then of course there was Morton's book.

The truth about her participation, revealed after her death, with Diana's handwritten notes on the galleys and accompanying tapes, telling the "story" the way she wanted it told. The Settelen tapes merely underlined her feelings about what was happening when it was happening. At least we cannot quibble about what she had to say, merely whether it was true or not.

"She accused a particular young teenager of making the anonymous calls the Police were investigating her for: - False, the Police duly investigated but were never swayed from the truth, merely how to handle HM's ex-daughter-in-law doing such things. Time revealed the truth, but the way she used the media obfuscated any truth back then.