"Diana, Our Mother: Her Life and Legacy" HBO and ITV

Diana, Our Mother: Her Life and Legacy- July 24th at 9pm HBO United States
Diana, Our Mother: Her Life and Legacy | Preview | HBO Documentaries

Diana, Our Mother: Her Life and Legacy- July 24th at 9pm ITV United Kingdom
TV Guide | What's on TV - ITV

A.W. TOZER
Old 07-24-2017, 09:36 AM
Heir Apparent

If someone finds out it's going to be online please post when it is available to watch !

LaRae

Old 07-24-2017, 03:10 PM
Heir Presumptive

I'm looking forward to watching this tonight
Old 07-24-2017, 05:01 PM
Heir Apparent
Royal Blogger

I'm watching now; it's been a really good and insightful programme so far. I particularly liked the old clips of Diana and her brother from their childhoods. It was the first time I noticed a resemblance between Prince George and Charles Spencer!

Who is Harry Herbert? He's been quite frequently interviewed on the documentary but I'm not really sure what his relation is to Diana. I should really Google this, but I'm too lazy

It was really lovely of Harry to invite the victims of the Bosnian war to meet him and talk about their memories of his mother.

"Think of all the beauty still left around you and be happy". Anne Frank
Old 07-24-2017, 05:14 PM
Heir Apparent

Harry Herbert is Porchie's younger son. The older one is the Earl of Carnavron - owns Highclere Castle aka Downton Abbey
Old 07-24-2017, 05:58 PM
Heir Apparent

HArry Herbert and Lady Carolyn Warren are brother and sister. She is married to JOhn Warren, the Queens horse trainer.

This precious stone set in the silver sea,......
This blessed plot, this earth, this realm, this England,
Old 07-24-2017, 06:15 PM
Heir Apparent
Royal Blogger

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skippyboo View Post
Harry Herbert is Porchie's younger son. The older one is the Earl of Carnavron - owns Highclere Castle aka Downton Abbey

Thank you for clearing up my confusion, Skippyboo. I was wondering if he had a connection to the Carnarvons.

"Think of all the beauty still left around you and be happy". Anne Frank
Old 07-24-2017, 07:29 PM
Heir Apparent

Excellent article in The Times re William and Harry - lots of quotes not just from tonights programme but from other occasions/

https://www.thetimes.co.uk/edition/t...ness-ffnxh85d8

Quote from the Times article regarding the TV programme:

The reference point for all involved, said the director Nick Kent, was to have something “the princes could show their children”

Old 07-24-2017, 07:43 PM
Royal Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by cepe View Post
Excellent article in The Times re William and Harry - lots of quotes not just from tonights programme but from other occasions/

https://www.thetimes.co.uk/edition/t...ness-ffnxh85d8

Quote from the Times article regarding the TV programme:

The reference point for all involved, said the director Nick Kent, was to have something “the princes could show their children”
So they focused the programme on the memories, as they should.
It was all nice, full of good moments and love. In fact nothing was really new in that documentary. It was smooth, without drama ...
As such, i think it's not the long waited , defintive portrait of Diana. You can"t expect the boys to dig into the complex personnality of their late mother. I guess it's not their role. They deciced to retain the best of her, good for them !
Old 07-24-2017, 08:20 PM
Serene Highness

Very touching docu, especially the Bosnia part.

To be a legend, you've either got to be dead or excessively old!
Christopher Lee
Old 07-24-2017, 09:11 PM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nico View Post
So they focused the programme on the memories, as they should.
It was all nice, full of good moments and love. In fact nothing was really new in that documentary. It was smooth, without drama ...
As such, i think it's not the long waited , defintive portrait of Diana. You can"t expect the boys to dig into the complex personnality of their late mother. I guess it's not their role. They deciced to retain the best of her, good for them !
Agree a 100%. So much not mentioned that shows the other side of Diana and some of the awful things she did which must have affected her sons.

William just touched on one aspect when he mentioned being careful about letting the media in - I think that was a reference to how Diana got too close which led to really bad stuff like the Morton book and the Bashir interview.

But it was a tribute and as such it was good to see; none of the usual suspects turned up - enjoyed input from William van Straubanzee, Lady Carolyn Warren and Harry Herbert.

Old 07-24-2017, 10:16 PM
Majesty

I am interested in the way that adults remember the past. From a woman present in the room with Blair and company when they were discussing the funeral on an open Conference Call, Blair and the powers that be desperately wanted the boys to walk behind the coffin, William was asked and absolutely refused and they didn't know he was going to until he stood with his father, grandfather, Harry and Uncle Charles. Harry was asked and, just as he was desperate to go to Paris with his father to bring Diana home. when asked he said yes. The reality of his mother's death had not registered in any 'real' way.

I think Harry was so traumatised by the reality, the actuality of what was actually going on around him must have terrified him, with an enormous number of people, largely silent as they passed, that the walk was long and unbelievably harrowing and emotional. It is hardly surprising that he announced that no child should be asked to do that as they are unable to understand the dynamics of what is about to happen.
Old 07-24-2017, 11:30 PM
Heir Apparent

Well if the people didn't become hysterical messes, there would not have been a public funeral. The boys would not have had to make that walk behind the coffin. There could have been a private funeral in Norfolk.
Old 07-24-2017, 11:38 PM
Heir Apparent

Diana would have been buried beside other Spencers at the family seat in Northamptonshire. I'm sure that's what the Royal family expected and wanted, as well. However she was mourned all over the world and the British public felt a huge sense of loss and wanted to pay their respects. So a public funeral was arranged. It wasn't the British public, 'hysterical' or otherwise, who insisted on Harry (or William) walking behind his/their mother's coffin.
Old 07-24-2017, 11:46 PM
Heir Apparent

'Anyone else want to reach into the TV and give them a hug?' Twitter reaction to the documentary as millions tune in to watch Diana's sons speak about their mother.

Twitter reacts to Diana documentary | Daily Mail Online
Old 07-25-2017, 01:17 AM
Heir Presumptive

"Diana, Our Mother: Her Life and Legacy" HBO and ITV

Quote:
Well if the people didn't become hysterical messes, there would not have been a public funeral. The boys would not have had to make that walk behind the coffin. There could have been a private funeral in Norfolk.

Why do you say this ? From what I've read Charles wanted them to walk who ever made the decision it wasn't the people.Diana's life is full if only from getting in the car that night to IF Camila married Charles instead of Andrew.
Old 07-25-2017, 01:56 AM
Heir Presumptive

The hysterics and entitlement of the masses put the Spencer's and RF in a situation that was not good for either family including the grieving kids. If Harry feels it shouldn't have been done to him then hopefully it will never be done again to a child. I do like that William and Harry later walked behind the QMs coffin.
Either way the funeral should have been private. I'm glad to hear this was all just about memories of Diana as a mom and not another Saint Diana piece.
Jaqueline Bouvier Kennedy, September 12, 1953
Countess Stephanie of Belgium October 20, 2012
Old 07-25-2017, 02:09 AM
Heir Presumptive

Diana was a public figure and her funeral was a public event. Harry may have been a ibt young to walk behind the coffin but he ahd the support of his brother, father, uncle and grandfather. and I think Philip was right to say to Will that if he didn't do it, he would probably regret it later when he was older. I think that it was probably a help to him later that he was able to accompany his mother on her final journey and pay her respect.
Old 07-25-2017, 02:58 AM
Courtier

Quote:
There was always going to be a public funeral. She may no longer have been the wife of one future King, but she was the mother of another.
Old 07-25-2017, 03:06 AM
Courtier

Quote:
Originally Posted by Curryong View Post
.....It wasn't the British public, 'hysterical' or otherwise, who insisted on Harry (or William) walking behind his/their mother's coffin.
No it wasn't. The boys should have been asked if they wanted to, not asked to do this.

Harry would probably have taken his cue from William, who with the option given to him could have responded differently. As it is, they feel it was something they were made to do.