The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Join The Royal Forums Today

Old 07-25-2017, 04:27 PM
Majesty

Thank you so much for posting this! I just watched the whole show....LOVED it. I'll post some of the things that made an impression on me:

Harry talking about the terrible outfits he and William used to have to wear (Traditional children's clothing and matching with his brother)...and how he'll make his kids (interesting phrasing there) wear the same thing.

William VonStranbanzee (sp?) ..had no idea Diana was his sister's nanny...

Harry Herbert ...why have I never heard of this guy? Some real emotions from him.

Loved hearing from Diana's Lady in Waiting (Beckworth-Smith) talking about the early experience after Diana married into the family.

The media must realize by now that they will always be seen as the enemy by those boys. William was very very clear about keeping them out ...no guessing there. He must of been terrified and very angry when that situation went on with Kate in France and then with George and the media trying to lure him out.

It was nice seeing Diana's Island and Mausoleum ..really hadn't seen the pics of it before. Earl Spencer speaking about her was nice to see.

Really liked when William talked about realizing the importance of spending as much time with his children as he can.

So sad to hear them talking about that last phone call ...that's enough to make you cry. Having lost my father when I was in my early 20's I can relate to some of this.

I didn't think there was anything negative about Charles. Frankly I didn't even think of him except during the parts that dealt with their marriage and nothing negative was said about him.

William talking about making sure his kids know about Diana (that they have 2 grandmothers...make no mistake Camilla is not considered one) ..I didn't think it was creepy ...I think it was a figure of speech when William mentioned talking about her all the time, not a literal statement.

They will never get over losing her. I'm glad they have found a way to manage the grief/anger over her death. Very glad they are able to celebrate her life.

LaRae

Old 07-25-2017, 04:37 PM
Heir Presumptive

They were in public what would you expect them to do? Hiss at each other.

Old 07-25-2017, 04:51 PM
Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by Denville View Post

Considering how we'd seen them before with each other in public when things weren't going so well you could tell a difference at the Confirmation ceremony.

LaRae
Old 07-25-2017, 05:05 PM
Majesty

Location: On the west side of North up from Back, United States
Thanks so much for posting the link. I was unable to watch it here when it was broadcast and after all the wonderful comments that have been made about this documentary, I'm sitting back now to watch it.

In regards to Charles. I'm in agreement with Pranter that Diana's death shook him to the core and I do believe he carries the best memories of the their times together. When it comes to a divorce, sometimes the best way to show love for one another is to let them go. It was the marriage that was incompatible with two very different people making a go at it. The two people themselves weren't "bad" or "evil" or "uncaring" but just incompatible.

Now to grab some coffee and a snack and watch the documentary.
Old 07-25-2017, 05:26 PM
Heir Presumptive

Moonmaiden I felt the exact way. I am tired of Diana being drudged up for every thing and the same loons being dragged out of their holes to tall nonsense, Patrick, Morton, Ken etc.
But I'm happy to see this was just about her children and their memories of her without any of the digs against other members of their family.
Jaqueline Bouvier Kennedy, September 12, 1953
Countess Stephanie of Belgium October 20, 2012
Old 07-25-2017, 05:27 PM
Heir Presumptive

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mbruno View Post
Would you have said that the funeral should have been private if she were still an HRH ? Probably not. Tony Blair was right: Diana was officially no longer a member of the RF and the Queen may have stripped her of her title and rank, but, in the eyes of the public, she was still a senior royal and, as such, a public funeral was appropriate.
<b>Just a reminder that this thread is to discuss the television programme and that the Last Hours, Death, Transfer from France, Funeral and Interment is the place to discuss Diana's funeral.</b>
Old 07-25-2017, 05:40 PM
Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by Denville View Post

I have two words for you...KOREAN TOUR.

I remember being dismayed and fascinated by the very overt hostility that seemed to jump off the screen between the two during the Wales final tour in late 1992...the so called Togetherness Tour.

A couple of other very sad memories occurred in the couples' body language when the PoW was released from hospital after breaking his arm at polo(1991?), and when Diana's father Lord Spencer died and they were on the way back from a ski trip. Diana could barely look at him, the resentment seemed palpable.

And Charles looked miserable beyond words in her company each time.

"The arc of the moral universe is long, but it bends toward justice". Martin Luther King Jr. 1929-1968
Old 07-25-2017, 06:36 PM
Heir Presumptive

Imo William and Harry weren't nearly dressed as horribly as George is now. I really don't like Earl Spencer so I skipped anything he had to say.
Old 07-25-2017, 07:19 PM
Nobility

Quote:
The media must realize by now that they will always be seen as the enemy by those boys. William was very very clear about keeping them out ...no guessing there. He must of been terrified and very angry when that situation went on with Kate in France and then with George and the media trying to lure him out.
And yet they had Jane Fincher, photographer, on the programme. Jane was part of the media following Diana, but she always was respectful and clear on the division of taking pictures in public, and the paparazzi taking pictures in private.

I enjoyed hearing from people who really knew Diana as a friend, not those hangers-on who are on every other programme about her. I liked the gardener.

Harry is definitely more informal; he says, "My Mum..." whilst William appears to stick to, "My mother..." Nothing wrong with that, everyone's different. But it certainly shows up the generational gap when referring back to Prince Charles talking about his "darling Mama". So much has changed in the Royal world for children born in the 1940s and those this century (except, perhaps, the clothes!)
Old 07-25-2017, 07:58 PM
Majesty

Location: On the west side of North up from Back, United States
Well. I was kind of disappointed in the YouTube link of this program. Seems like it started out nicely in closed captioning but quickly fizzled out. Perhaps they're still working on those? I'll check back from time to time.

I did, however watch the entire documentary and you could tangibly feel the love those two boys have for their mother. She was a "big kid" at heart. She was fun. She also made the boys very aware that there was life outside the palace walls.

I think the most touching part of the whole thing were those two brothers that were affected by land mines and the resolve that Diana inspired to carry on. The one stood there and said "Today there are no land mines here but Diana isn't to see it. This is Diana's legacy" (paraphrased). Then he visibly wept. That hit home to me that it was Diana at her best.

Overall, it will be a wonderful collection of footage for George and Charlotte and any kids that Harry may have to grow up with and get to *know* "Granny Diana".
Old 07-25-2017, 10:57 PM
Serene Highness

I thought the documentary was well done. I expected it would be since I think William, in particular, would never agree to be a part of anything that crossed the line into schmaltzy, self indulgent territory.

A couple of thoughts:

I don't know about Harry, but I don't think William sees the press as the enemy at all. When he mentions things like setting boundaries for his children, etc his frame of reference is the media free for all that made up part of his childhood and early adolescence. Of course he doesn't want that to be repeated, (hopefully none of us do), but he and Kate have already been relatively open in talking to various media about the causes they're involved in, in bringing the children to various events and allowing them to be photographed, in releasing birthday pictures, in participating in things like this documentary. I don't think William has any problem engaging with a press that respects his family's right to a certain degree of privacy.

I agree William is definitely more formal than Harry. Given their respective positions that's probably not surprising.

I'm glad that George and Charlotte, and any children Harry might have, will be able to see this show. Diana was far from perfect but I think, whatever faults she had, she would have been a wonderful grandmother and would have found a great deal of joy in the children. It's incredibly sad she didn't get that chance.
Old 07-26-2017, 01:49 AM
Administrator

Well, I didn't plan on watching the documentary but I am glad I did. What a beautiful tribute to their mother!

I loved hearing from her friends, those who worked with her [particularly those gentlemen involved in the land mine campaign] and her brother. Honestly, I am not surprised that her sisters were not involved. First, they don't seek publicity [yes, I am looking at your Earl Spencer] but most importantly, I think because they {Charles and Diana} were closer in age, he would have more memories of her childhood than Jane and Sarah. And really, that was the Earl's purpose, to talk about her early years...you don't really see him talking about anything after the wedding.

It was a lovely tribute.....you can certainly feel the love and loss that they have for their mother.

Old 07-26-2017, 02:41 AM
Heir Presumptive

&quot;Diana, Our Mother: Her Life and Legacy&quot; HBO and ITV

This would not have been an easy documentary to make - I applaud William and Harry, and the team who worked with them, for a programme that is interesting and informative with no hints of blame or hidden agendas. This programme managed to tread a difficult path in reflecting Diana as a mother and as a Royal figure, without involving Charles, yet achieving a film that would not be likely to offend or cause unnecessary hurt to their father and stepmother. Yet it isn't a bland film, there are frank remarks about a childhood spent "toing and froing " between parents and the frequent necessary phone calls this resulted in, but neither is it some uninhibited outpouring of loss. At a time when biographies and documentaries about famous people are filled with titilation and endless speculation, this was a lesson in restraint and integrity.
Old 07-26-2017, 08:03 PM
Courtier

Dman, thank you for posting this video. I didn't think I'd get to chance to watch this moving and beautiful tribute to Diana.
Old 07-29-2017, 02:43 AM
Royal Highness

I had to laugh with Harry's remarks about how Diana dressed them up in 'bizarre outfits with weird shorts and shiny shoes' and he 'won't be dressing his kids like that'.
Well, clearly his brother and sister-in-law have a different opinion.
Old 07-29-2017, 12:19 PM
Majesty

Actually Harry said he would dress his kids the same way.

LaRae
Old 07-29-2017, 02:41 PM
Heir Apparent

Yup. Harry said you know I'll be dressing my kids the same way.
Old 07-29-2017, 03:20 PM
Heir Apparent

Yes, and said it with a huge grin on his face!
Old 07-29-2017, 04:27 PM
Nobility

Well, I wasn't going to watch this program, but after reading all the comments I am going to do so. I am encouraged that the consensus is that it is well done. Thank you, Dman, for posting it.
Old 07-29-2017, 07:03 PM
Royal Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pranter View Post
Actually Harry said he would dress his kids the same way.

LaRae

Really? I misunderstood then. Or maybe it was wishfull thinking on my part.